Photo

Introducing GTAModding.com

40 replies to this topic
GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:15 PM

Members who follow the news on GTANet may have seen the recently posted article regarding GTAModding.com. For those who may not have seen the article carry on reading;

QUOTE (Tank @ [URL=http://www.gtanet.com/news)
http://www.gtanet.com/news[/URL]]When news hit the modding community that RockStar were no longer offering support for modding of the GTA games, the future of modding was in question. Was this the end of GTA Modding as we knew it?

While GTA San Andreas '2.0' is harder to mod, the scene is still churning out mods. However, modders are still relying on modding forums for modding info, which while better than nothing, isn't ideal - especially when the info you need is almost unsearchable or written and formatted in a way you simply don't understand. Wouldn't it be great if all this information was nicely organised and all in one place?

In an attempt to attract more modders to the scene and please our veterans, our resident machine-like programmer Fred kindly began work on a new site for GTANET some months ago. That site, GTAModding.com, offers the modding scene a new facility to easily share modding knowledge of all the GTA games, in a Wiki-like interface. For those unfamiliar with Wiki pages, the concept is simple; Wiki pages are easily accessable and (usually) well organised web pages that can be contributed to by anyone. The frame work for the site was completed a few months ago and ever since Steve-M has been creating the foundations of the categories.

Now the site is ready for the next - and most important - step; the content. The success of GTAModding.com is dependant on your contribution. If you're a modder and have something to share then head on over to GTAModding.com now. There's no need to create a new account to contribute - simply use your GTANET / GTAForums username and password. If you haven't got a GTANET / GTAForums account, then register your own account here.

For a general insight into the world of Wiki look here.

Any questions/ideas/feedback are welcome.

GTANet Staff

ToxicDC
  • ToxicDC

Have a Drink

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:58 PM

This site will be very good.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:19 PM

You gonna mirror this in Modding Discussion? I may even stick a post up in LC so people who want to help can.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:20 PM

Maby change the 'introducing gta garage' topics to incorporate this?

VashtheStampeed
  • VashtheStampeed

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:31 PM

[B]I think this site is really needed and it can be a huge help to those who need it.[/B ]

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:27 PM

Ahh finally it's been introduced. I've noticed the link a while ago and have been wanting to see it ever since. It didn't help with Knife teasing me about it on msn sly.gif .

I suppose i should get off of my ass and write a few bits for the mission coding.

Simon.
  • Simon.

Gangsta

• The Connection

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:39 PM

Excellent icon14.gif .

Now I know just the place get started on makings my own GTAMods - and it's all compiled into one easy to use database.

Mr Killer
  • Mr Killer

Upside-down circle

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:59 PM

icon14.gif

At last it is here, I have been waiting for so long for this. I will now be able to create and release my own mods for GTA!

lesfleanut
  • lesfleanut

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 December 2005 - 02:13 PM

Huge step for the network, this is awesome beyond words. Nice work to everybody involved.

This post comes from a person who doesn't play games, let alone mod them.

gtawizard1991
  • gtawizard1991

LALALALA

• Members

Posted 13 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

nice

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:49 PM Edited by Cerbera, 14 December 2005 - 08:42 PM.

Noooo! My monopoly over GTA handling tutorials! She is dead!! cry.gif

As long as the editors/administrators of the Wiki don't let stupid kidz scribble stuff which isn't true, or start using it like a forum to ask questions, it'll be killer. I'll donate my existing tutorials to it but I don't have time to monitor how they get edited by other people.

(EDIT) I'd like to suggest a some changes to the current categories. I'll wait until its structure gets a bit more refined before I start contributing to it.

(EDIT2) I think we should agree on one shortened format for the editions of GTA, rather than alternating between various shortened formats, contracted formats, using numerals in some places while using numbers in others, etc. I'd suggest just using the letters of that edition with any numbers as numbers and any version information prefixed with a lowercase "v" letter.

We could create a page which defines the GTA edition and versioning terminology. Here's an imcomplete example of how I think it goes:-
  • Grand Theft Auto (GTA1)
    • Grand Theft Auto original (GTA1)
    • Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 (GTAL 1969)
    • Grand Theft Auto: London 1961 (GTAL 1961)
  • Grand Theft Auto 2 (GTA2)
    • Grand Theft Auto 2 version 9.6 (GTA2 v9.6)
    • Grand Theft Auto 2 version 9.6 Free Edition from R* Classics (GTA2 v9.6f)
    • Grand Theft Auto 2 version 10.3 (GTA2)
    • Grand Theft Auto 2 version 10.5 (GTA2)
  • Grand Theft Auto 3 (GTA3)
    • Grand Theft Auto 3 version 1.0 (GTA3 v1.0)
    • Grand Theft Auto 3 version 1.01 (GTA3 v1.01)
  • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (GTAVC)
    • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City version 1.0 (GTAVC v1.0)
    • Grand Theft Auto: Vice City version 1.01 (GTAVC v1.01)
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (GTASA)
    • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas version 1.0 (GTASA v1.0)
    • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas version 1.01 (GTASA v1.01)
    • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas version 2.0 (GTASA v2.0)
  • Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (GTALCS)

Differences between the Gameboy Colour, PC, PS, PS2, PSP, Xbox and other platforms should be represented in a standard manner, too.

Using GTASA v1.0 as a theoretical example:-
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas version 1.0 for Gameboy Colour (GTASA v1.0 [GBC])
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas version 1.0 for Personal Computer (GTASA v1.0 [PC])
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas version 1.0 for Playstation (GTASA v1.0 [PS])
    • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas version 1.0 for Playstation original/PS-One (GTASA v1.0 [PS1])
    • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas version 1.0 for Playstation 2/PS-Two (GTASA v1.0 [PS2])
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas version 1.0 for Playstation Portable (GTASA v1.0 [PSP])
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas version 1.0 for Xbox (GTASA v1.0 [XBox])

By using standard naming, it is easier to be precise to which edition(s) authors are referring to. This is especially important when file formats differ between game editions, versions and platforms.

uNi
  • uNi

Feroci

• Administrator
  • None
  • Best Official Gang 2014 [Feroci]

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:54 PM

Excellent idea, I'll be using this for sure.

Jonny_Tightlips
  • Jonny_Tightlips

Jabberwocky

• The Connection
  • Romania

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:55 PM

lol. That looks like you stole the skin code from Wikipedia and replaced the globe img with a wrench. tounge.gif

Good job.

When I get a new computer, I'll try to download Multiplayer.

Sharkey
  • Sharkey

Invisible

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:03 PM

nice, i know of a couple guys, and myself perhaps,
that i could talk to that would probably come there and contribute.
good idea guys. icon14.gif

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Jonny Tightlips @ Dec 13 2005, 15:55)
lol. That looks like you stole the skin code from Wikipedia and replaced the globe img with a wrench. tounge.gif

Good job.

That would be because it's the default skin which comes with the wiki software... rolleyes.gif

TwoZero
  • TwoZero

Ghetto Star

• The Connection

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:49 PM Edited by TwoZero, 13 December 2005 - 09:10 PM.

This is a great site, I really hope some proper stuff will come out of this.

But anyway, there's a small problem.
I login, and go to Preferences, and try changing skin a few times, see how they all look. But when I selected 'MySkin' it just showed up a blank page after applying it.
I can't view any page anymore, just get blank pages, I can logout manually by deleting the cookies, but when I login again, blank page.

So could someone please remove 'MySkin' from the skin list? (I assume it was added as some test and never removed). And maybe someone can haxor mysql and set my account skin setting back to something else so I login again? tounge.gif

Edit: Apperently 'MySkin' comes with the wiki software by default, I have it on a test setup aswell, there I also figured out that you can add '&useskin=monobook' in the url to use the default skin and override user settings, that shows me blank pages aswell, I am not sure what is going on exactly..

SWEETSAPRIK
  • SWEETSAPRIK

Pяopagaиda Iиc.

• Feroci
  • Unknown
  • Sourest Member

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:06 AM

This is a great idea.

As long as enough people contribute, and you check to make sure nobody puts up something inncorrect this could really help spur more activity. I'm sure there are a decent amount of people that would like to mod but have no idea where to start. Some might be savy with some aspects and have no experience with others.

Kudos! icon14.gif

ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Feroci
  • United-States

Posted 14 December 2005 - 05:36 AM Edited by ceedj, 14 December 2005 - 05:39 AM.

Question - how will the opcodes be handled? Will it just be a link to the opcode DB, or will we be adding them as new ones to this? And if we DO add them to the wiki, how will we agree on names and definitons?

Really outstanding job here. How about a sub-section for the SCM hooks that are available? Perhaps Spookie and op9080 would consent to having thier sources archived somewhere (like GTAGarage) and having info on how they work in the wiki? Just a thought.

Thanks for this guys. inlove.gif

SMG
  • SMG

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:51 AM

HELL YES!

I came up with a GTA Wiki idea and made a topic in GTANET suggestions a few months ago and I never thaught that this would actually come through, even though someone winked that it's in the works.

I was this >< close to making my own GTA Wiki website, but this is much better because this is officially supported by the GTA Network.

I'm going to work hard and help as much as I can on this GTA Wiki like I offered to do in that topic I made, this is certainly excellent.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (ceedj @ Dec 14 2005, 05:36)
Question - how will the opcodes be handled? Will it just be a link to the opcode DB, or will we be adding them as new ones to this? And if we DO add them to the wiki, how will we agree on names and definitons?

Really outstanding job here. How about a sub-section for the SCM hooks that are available? Perhaps Spookie and op9080 would consent to having thier sources archived somewhere (like GTAGarage) and having info on how they work in the wiki? Just a thought.

Thanks for this guys. inlove.gif

OpCode handling has been discussed, the outcome was we don't know. There is already the MB IDE, the database/GTAMA list (you can download the latest GTAMA IDE from the DB), another wiki opened a while ago for OpCode info and this, it's stupid.

TBH I think just linking to the db is easiest.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 14 December 2005 - 08:03 PM

sad.gif No Apache? No pretty URLs? Sucks to be honest.

But other than that, it looks pretty! smile.gif You should create your own Wikimedia skin.

Hurricane5
  • Hurricane5

Abgoosht Forever

• Members

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:15 PM

Excellent news.

I've actually been discussing the mod scene with a few people recently.

Was talking with one member in paticular about it, and he brought up the fact that the new faces in the scene after the SA fiasco, seems to have dropped off significantly. As far as actual modders at least.

If there was a database, or a wiki, could be a great asset to the modders of olde, and new comers.

Being part of the mod scene in the early GTA3 and very early Vice days, I appreciate such an effort to bring this to the scene. Thank you guys.

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:50 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ Dec 14 2005, 20:03)

But other than that, it looks pretty! smile.gif You should create your own Wikimedia skin.

That was discussed as well, I even wrote a handy php 404 error handler so you could type in the fancy short links, get a 404 which would read where you wanted and redirect you but they just seemed to ignore me.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (Y_Less @ Dec 15 2005, 01:50)

That was discussed as well, I even wrote a handy php 404 error handler so you could type in the fancy short links, get a 404 which would read where you wanted and redirect you but they just seemed to ignore me.

The reason you can't is because this system runs on Microsoft IIS ( barf8bd.gif ), Apache is the only system that supports it.

You shouldn't run on a webserver on anything else than Apache and *nix.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:25 PM

I've started a Referring to GTA Versions page based on my earlier post here. The process was pretty easy, but it certainly pays to be VERY careful about the title you choose. I nearly spelt it wrong. rolleyes.gif

OCDee
  • OCDee

Cooked on Phonics

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 15 December 2005 - 03:41 PM

I like the sound of it. if the same people who made gtagarge making this, thne its gonna be good.( its gonna be fresh anyway)

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (Svip @ Dec 15 2005, 10:00)

The reason you can't is because this system runs on Microsoft IIS ( barf8bd.gif ), Apache is the only system that supports it.

One line in a 404 error handler (which IIS does support):

CODE

/* This goes in your error 404 handler page */

header("location: http://www.gtamodding.com/index.php?title=".ltrim($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], "/"));

When you enter something like "www.gtamodding.com/mep", which doesn't exist, it gets "/mep", strips the "/" then redirects you to "http://www.gtamoddin....php?title=mep", which may or may not exist, but it doesn't matter either way.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Y_Less @ Dec 15 2005, 19:00)
QUOTE (Svip @ Dec 15 2005, 10:00)

One line in a 404 error handler (which IIS does support):

CODE

/* This goes in your error 404 handler page */

header("location: http://www.gtamodding.com/index.php?title=".ltrim($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'], "/"));

When you enter something like "www.gtamodding.com/mep", which doesn't exist, it gets "/mep", strips the "/" then redirects you to "http://www.gtamoddin....php?title=mep", which may or may not exist, but it doesn't matter either way.

You can do that in Apache too, that is PHP you are dealing with, not to mention that IIS would want you to use ASP ( which sucks by the way ) instead of PHP.

Gee, I don't see your point, Apache on *nix machines are the best way to have a webserver.

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• None

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:33 PM

You don't see his point because you're choosing to ignore it for your usual *nix is always better argument. Y_Less is right, it's possible to do it that way, but personally, I don't see much point, and it's not the 'proper' way to do it. I wouldn't like to rely on redirecting the user based on a 404 page.

What's your point with PHP and ASP? You know IIS can run PHP...

random_download
  • random_download

:o

• Members

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (TwoZero @ Dec 13 2005, 20:49)
This is a great site, I really hope some proper stuff will come out of this.

But anyway, there's a small problem.
I login, and go to Preferences, and try changing skin a few times, see how they all look. But when I selected 'MySkin' it just showed up a blank page after applying it.
I can't view any page anymore, just get blank pages, I can logout manually by deleting the cookies, but when I login again, blank page.

So could someone please remove 'MySkin' from the skin list? (I assume it was added as some test and never removed). And maybe someone can haxor mysql and set my account skin setting back to something else so I login again? tounge.gif

Edit: Apperently 'MySkin' comes with the wiki software by default, I have it on a test setup aswell, there I also figured out that you can add '&useskin=monobook' in the url to use the default skin and override user settings, that shows me blank pages aswell, I am not sure what is going on exactly..

Same happened to me, and I went back in my browser and set it to a different skin and it just keeps showing blank pages confused.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users