» «
Photo

[WIP] SA Path Editor

25 replies to this topic
JGuntherS@NL
  • JGuntherS@NL

Being a being

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:14 AM Edited by JGuntherS@NL, 04 January 2006 - 02:08 PM.

After some requests to open an English topic about my Path Editor, here it is. Previous discussion in Compiled SA Path Nodes

Current version: 0.2.1

The Path Editor will merge with the Map Editor (tonywob)!

Changelog
- 3 dec 2005
--- "File-open"-dialog added

--- Search function for all sections added, except section 4 (nothing to find in there)
--- Some crash-protections

- 4 dec 2005
--- Compile-function added (output: C:\test.dat)

- 11 dec 2005
--- Edit-function for section 1a added (finally...)
--- Edit-function for section 1b added

- 12 dec 2005
--- Edit-function for section 2 added

--- Draw image-function for section 1a added
--- Draw image-function for section 1b added

Suggestions or bugs or even something else? Post it here

You need Microsoft .NET Framework! (1.1.4322 I think) If you have XP sp2, you've probably got it already. If it still doesn't work, PM me (or find it yourself smile.gif )

A file-open dialog pops up when you press File -> Select file
The compiler always writes the compiled file to C:\test.dat. The batch recompiler writes its files to C:\nodes**.dat.

Information:
It's programmed in VB .NET 2003, and it's even multithreading (one GUI thread and one (de)compile thread)

If you want to see certain pieces of code, PM me!

Downloads:
SA Path Editor on gtagarage

Topic on GtaForum.nl (it's the attachment of the main post, since I can't link directly to the file)

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:03 AM

After some requests to open an English topic about my Path Editor, here it is

For those of us who havent kept up on it, or know where your previous discussion was held, could you give some more specific details?

For example, you can output a file, can you edit any of the existing ones that come with the game?

i assume writing to C:/<wherever> is just temporary? a proper file > Save/Save As dialog is much better smile.gif . Likewise for batch exporting.

Otherwise its difficult to say anything, or make suggestions, since its not quite clear how far the program is. is this a 3d editor? if so, can you display anything? overall, seems like its a pretty early work from this topic description. Best of luck though cookie.gif

JGuntherS@NL
  • JGuntherS@NL

Being a being

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:39 AM Edited by JGuntherS@NL, 12 December 2005 - 10:50 AM.

Sorry, I completly forgot to add the download link blush.gif

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Above this post)
i assume writing to C:/<wherever> is just temporary? a proper file > Save/Save As dialog is much better. Likewise for batch exporting.
Yes, it's temporary, I'll make a proper dialog later

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Above this post)
For example, you can output a file, can you edit any of the existing ones that come with the game?
The only option now, is to decompile & edit & output an original (or edit a hex-editor made file).

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci Racing

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (JGuntherS@NL @ Dec 12 2005, 10:14)
Download: Topic on GtaForum.nl (it's the attachment of the main post, since I can't link directly to the file)

Why not upload to gtagarage?

JGuntherS@NL
  • JGuntherS@NL

Being a being

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:56 PM Edited by JGuntherS@NL, 12 December 2005 - 06:59 PM.

QUOTE (steve-m @ Above this post)
Why not upload to gtagarage?

Because I didn't know I could blush.gif .

SA Path Editor, on gtagarage. Approved smile.gif

JGuntherS@NL
  • JGuntherS@NL

Being a being

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

New version, see main post

You can now plot an image of all the nodes in 1a & 1b. The nodes you've changed are red.

(if this kind of posting is not allowed, PM me)

Supdario
  • Supdario

Prankster

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:57 PM

I really need this tool cool.gif
Thanks tounge.gif

JGuntherS@NL
  • JGuntherS@NL

Being a being

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:08 PM

I'm searching people to help me to port it to C#, if you're interested, PM me.

NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:40 PM

How exactly do you port it to C#. What does that mean??????????

JGuntherS@NL
  • JGuntherS@NL

Being a being

• Members

Posted 13 December 2005 - 10:28 AM Edited by JGuntherS@NL, 14 December 2005 - 07:18 PM.

To port means to translate to another programming language. It's now written in Visual Basic, but I'm gonna port it to Visual C#, because I want some 3D-stuff in my proggie.

I did already port all the types. inlove.gif

The (de)compile thread has been ported. icon14.gif

QUOTE (tonywob @ Compiled Path Nodes)
That's good work, I'm glad someone is finally working on an editor for it. smile.gif

I don't understand why you need to change VB. Net into C#, they work on exactly the same principal (That is, assuming you are using VB.NET and not an older version)

You will get alot more speed if you program this straight into C smile.gif, Minus the error checking.

I will stop with porting at this point, because of - as tonywob states - it doesn't have any effect. The (de)compile thread has been ported, so I can port to C++ easily, after I've read some books about C++.

tonywob
  • tonywob

[WIP] Modder

• Members

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:29 PM

If you need any help with your C++, then please do let me know smile.gif

We definitely need a program like this for SA

NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:19 PM

Yea if you need any help with anything to speed up the process of the SA Path Editor I will be willing to help because we the gtasa-lc team which is liberty city on the san andreas engine need the paths for the project.

JGuntherS@NL
  • JGuntherS@NL

Being a being

• Members

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

The Path Editor will merge with the Map Editor (tonywob). I don't know if there'll come a stand-alone version. It will be ported to C++.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 18 December 2005 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (JGuntherS@NL @ Dec 18 2005, 19:19)
The Path Editor will merge with the Map Editor (tonywob). I don't know if there'll come a stand-alone version. It will be ported to C++.

That will be very useful icon14.gif Sounds good.

JGuntherS@NL
  • JGuntherS@NL

Being a being

• Members

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:31 PM

I've nearly finished porting, you can expect a release (with MEd) soon (I hope)!

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:18 PM Edited by Cerbera, 04 January 2006 - 01:23 PM.

Whoa, hang on JGS. You are not the persion building MEd so you should not start making promises about when or even if it will include your path editing code. MEd is Tony's project so only he knows what it will contain...and it's generally impossible to say when any particular feature will be introduced in it. Even hinting that your code will be fully functioning in MEd any time soon is bad form, imho. It isn't clear whether your code will be used in MEd or if Tony will write is own paths processor based upon your work.

You might want to update the first post to say that the user can open a path file from any location, though. Is there any point having direct links to the files (especially the old versions) when you have a link to the GTA Garage downloads page?

Anyway, your tool seems like a good start. Obviously the interface is pretty tough to use since it is very early in development but the backend seems to be in good order. I tested it decompiling paths, searching for groups and drawing the position of path nodes and all those things seemed to work fine.

It would be very useful if you could create a code module or DLL which people could simply make calls do from their own programs in order to decompile and recompile the paths. Including some other common functions might be useful, such as any section-specific features of the paths files? By making this code library independant from any particular interface or language, paths viewing and even editing could be much more easily integrated into other tools made by the modding community. smile.gif

JGuntherS@NL
  • JGuntherS@NL

Being a being

• Members

Posted 04 January 2006 - 01:51 PM Edited by JGuntherS@NL, 04 January 2006 - 02:16 PM.

QUOTE (Cerbera)
Whoa, hang on JGS. You are not the persion building MEd so you should not start making promises about when or even if it will include your path editing code.

I know I'm not the person building MEd, that's why I said "(I hope)", meaning (If tony agrees and everythings goes right).
I'm not an Englishman, often I can't find the good words, and then I start turning around it, creating those misunderstandings.

QUOTE (Cerbera)
You might want to update the first post to say that the user can open a path file from any location, though. Is there any point having direct links to the files (especially the old versions) when you have a link to the GTA Garage downloads page?

I had a direct link before I got approved, I forgot to remove it.

QUOTE (Cerbera)
It would be very useful if you could create a code module or DLL which people could simply make calls do from their own programs in order to decompile and recompile the paths.

That's what I'm currently working on smile.gif

lililil
  • lililil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

i don't understand what do i do with it???

JGuntherS@NL
  • JGuntherS@NL

Being a being

• Members

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:02 PM

Go to File -> Select file and select a nodes**.dat, and then press File -> Decompile. Then you can do things in the main screen. Editing is not fully supported, as I am now busy on the back-end.

-=ChezZ=-
  • -=ChezZ=-

Wiskers

• Members

Posted 11 February 2006 - 09:25 AM

Any expected time on a fully working version being released?

The-end
  • The-end

It's time to go home

• Members

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (-=ChezZ=- @ Feb 11 2006, 09:25)

Yeah there hasn't been an update for a while confused.gif

Skincat
  • Skincat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:51 AM

Any updates ?

locO G
  • locO G

LocO by name... But keeping an even keel.

• Members

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:46 AM Edited by locO G, 29 May 2006 - 02:01 AM.

QUOTE (-=ChezZ=- @ Feb 11 2006, 09:25 and others...)

There has been no development on this topic, good or bad, for half a year.

I know nothing about this topic (no trouble in VC), but, as a lot modeller, I do have a vested interest.
Without the ability to create path files, all of our SA modding is pointless eye-candy.

If you've haven't got any further, even if you've found something for the worst, it would be good to know.

JGuntherS@NL : If there's nothing to report, just say hello. Please.

All the best.

KiThaRo
  • KiThaRo

GTA SA:Liberty City

• Members

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:32 PM

The Path Editor will merge with the Map Editor (tonywob)!

Any progress?

jaz636
  • jaz636

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

is this software to change the paths of vehicals and peds etc?

maazbukhari
  • maazbukhari

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:47 AM

you two are right rampage_ani.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users