» «
Photo

Vertical Bird Mission Guide

24 replies to this topic
YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:35 AM Edited by YeTi, 02 December 2005 - 01:40 PM.

YeTi's Guide For The Mission Vertical Bird

Introduction

I wrote this guide for the same reason as my Freefall Guide i was sick of seeing Vertical Bird SnP's. It is one of the missions people always have trouble with for some reason. So i have wrote this guide hopefully you will read it and use the information contained within it to complete this mission yourself rather than asking someone else to do it for you.

The Guide

Obviously you load up your save game. I find it's easier if you save at Madd Dogg's Mansion which you will have taken back in the previous mission "Home In The Hills". Now if you haven't saved there. Get there. The mission marker is outside of the door. Don't worry about starting the mission with no weapons you will be given some later. Anyway walk into the mission marker to trigger the mission. It will play a rather amusing cut scene in Madd Dogg's studio it will then play another two cut scene's, all three of them can be skipped if required. You start the mission on a beach with a boat infront of you.

user posted image

No obviously you are supposed to get into the boat and drive to the marker indicated in the mini map. Sail towards the marker and as you near the marker you will see a ship this is were the marker is indicating part of your mission is inside this ship. Anyway carry on towards the marker and eventually a cut scene will play it shows a small boat entering the ship and Toreno blabbering on about something. But during the cut scene a crucial thing happens which allows you access to the ship the door opens. Now stop your boat and get out you need to swim into the ship.

user posted image

As you enter the door another little cut scene will play this basically is telling you that you need to switch off the ship's SAM rocket launchers. They will pose a problem to you later if not switched off. Swim a bit further into the ship and you will notice two people talking to each other one a army man and the other a mantinence man. Now if the army men guarding the boat spot you they will shoot you and if the mantinence men spot you they will trigger an alarm which will cause the army men to shoot you. Now as i said earlier don't worry about starting the mission with no weapons because when you entered the boat it gave you a knife and silenced pistol, you can use these but i prefer using a heavier weapon such as an assault rifle. Take out the army man and the mantinence man an alarm wll go off as soon as you shoot don't worry about it there aren't that many army men on the boat and they don't recieve back up's. When the alarm go's off two more army men will come running into the little room you are in. Kill them, you can kill the mantinence man if you like but it's not needed to complete the mission. Now look on your mini map there should be a little yellow marker this is the control switch for the SAM missile which if you remember we need to switch off. So you need to head towards that. Head forward to the end of the room there should be a open doorway go through it. There will be some stairs through the doorway go up them and stick to the left door when you reach the top of them. Keep heading in htis direction and you will eventually reach the yellow marker. There will be another mantinence man enroute to the marker you can kill him if you like or you can leave him alone the choice is yours. Anyway when you reach the back of the ship and the yellow marker it should look like this.

user posted image

Walk into the red marker to switch the SAM missile's off. It will play a little cut scene.

user posted image

This is telling you that the SAM missile's are disabled and no longer pose a threat to you or the mission. After the cut scene you are in the SAM room go out of here and wait a minute eventually a army man will come for you kill him. Now look in front of you there will be a doorway were you came from and a big open space to the right of this go for the open space. Carry on down here and wait when you come to two planes. Eventually at the very end of the ship another plane will come down and land another army man will get out of this kill him. Now you should be left with three planes like this.

user posted image

Yes i have badly edited that image. The plane circled in yellow is the one you are supposed to steal. The two planes circled in green are the planes you are supposed to destroy. Now destroying those two planes isn't crucial for the mission but it makes life easier later in the mission so destroy them. But be warned they blow up so keep your distance when destroying them. And you may have noticed by now the little red markers on your mini map they indicate a army man. There i one more army man above you he should be killed when you destroy the planes but if not head back to the stairs you came up and there will be another flight near by go up and kill him. Now two planes destroyed and all army men dead get into the plane you left alone. It will raise on it's platform to be level with the runway.

user posted image

But theres a problem it's facing the wrong way. We can overcome this obstacle by gently pressing the accelerate button to make the plane lift up a bit this will change the view and allow you to view behind. Now press and hold the corresponding button to make the thrusters on the jet face a different direction on the pc it is the nubmer 8 button on the number pad. Now align yourself on the runway to take off using the view keys and a bit of accelerate. Now take off. When you are in the air raise the landing gear number 2 on the PC.

Eventually a cut scene will play and one jet will come and try to engage you. If you hadn't destroyed those two jets on the ship there would be three jets after you now, obviosuly one is easier to handle.

Now there isn't really anyway i can explain how to do the ensuing dog fight easily so i am going to explain how to use the features that will help you win.

I will be explaining this using PC controls i don't know Xbox or PS2 controls.

You can launch counter measures to help prevent you getting blown up by missiles. You can either use the left mouse button or Right Control i find it easier to use Right Control. The counter measures you launch look like this.

user posted image

It is a flare that will distract the enemy missiles. Enemy missiles appear as mini red markers on your mini map like in this image.

user posted image

The bigger red marker is the enemy jet. If the enemy has locked onto you and has launched missiles your plane will beep to warn you this is when you start pressing the counter measures button.

Now obviosuly you don't want to keep getting shot at by the enemy jet so you want to fire back. You use the Left Control button to fire your missiled but they aren't very accurte on there own luckily for us the jet has got a inbuilt lock on system. You can use this by holding down the Right Control button and facing the enemy jet. It will display green like this.

user posted image

When it is attempting to lock onto a target save your missiles for the lock on they will just miss at this point. It will change to red when it has locked on like this.

user posted image

Now you can fire your missiles you need to tap the Left Control button to fire the missiles. Each plane will take on average three missiles to take down. That is all the help i can give you on destroying the enemy jets. When you have destroyed the jet your real mission begins.

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:36 AM Edited by YeTi, 02 December 2005 - 01:44 PM.

user posted image

Yes you stole the jet to destroy some boats. Spy boats to be exact and there is four of
them. Again there is no easy way to destroy them. Some people hover i wouldn't suggest this
it is extremely hard to do and it takes longer. What i suggest you do is fly by's. You fly
over the targets and fire missiles at them. You can use the planes locking on system to
guarantee a hit. Again each boat takes on average three missiles to blow up. I have found
it helps if you don't use the accelerate when shooting the boats just let the momentum
already generated by the boat carry you on for the fly by.

Eventually you will destroy the ships and Toreno denies any knowledge of you stealing the
jet so instead of dumping it why not keep it? Remember that airstrip you bought why not
store it there? The game tells you to do it. The airstrip is now a marker on your mini map
head towards it. Now lower the landing gear as you get close and land on the runway like
this.

user posted image

You can't just leave the jet on the runway you need to guide it into a hanger so do it.

Guide it slowly into your hanger using the rudder. When it is safely in the hanger a message will pop up mission passed.

user posted image

Well done if you have followed my guide correctly you should have completed the mission Vertical Bird.

And for your efforts you have been rewarded with $50,000 and the Hydra(Jet) spawning in your hanger from now on.

Thats it i know there is likely spelling and grammer mistakes i've admitted i so no flaming please.

YeTi

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:28 AM

400kb screenshots!!? cry.gif

Apart from that - very nice, it should prove helpful. smile.gif

ajkhan316`
  • ajkhan316`

CSMY : Saiko Komon

• Members

Posted 02 December 2005 - 08:41 AM

Nice guide man. Hopefully people find this as useful as your "Freefall Guide".
- FiJiAn 4 LiFe

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (adamcs @ Dec 2 2005, 08:28)
400kb screenshots!!? cry.gif

I like .png format for some unknown reason.

@adam thanks

@AJ yeah lets hope they do.

imut_knight
  • imut_knight

ini gue lho

• Members

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:18 AM

Very nice guide Yeti.

The hardest part of this mission is when you have to shoot down the other enemy jets, but it is also the best part.

But if you don’t really care about the excitement of ‘dog-fight’ with the enemy jets, heres an alternative :

-make sure you have minigun/RPG before start the mission
-land ASAP after you steal the jet
-shoot down the enemy jets with your minigun/RPG
-and for spy boats, you can find a bike/car, find the boats, and destroy them with your minigun/RPG, you even can swim to the boat!!!
-back to your jet and drive it safely to the hangar

while your on land, you will find the town just like a ghost town, no peds and no spawn vehicles. But you can still find park vehicle.

ajkhan316`
  • ajkhan316`

• Members

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:20 AM

Yeah a lot of people have used that method imut_knight. Though it takes the fun out of it and takes time, it can be used by a lot of people who can't fly straight.

But a lot of people who post this mission here have no problem with the flying bit (as it handles just like a helicopter). It is the 'dog fight' that they mess up with mostly because they don't know the controls and the counter-measures.

YeTi, I am gonna add this to the Mission Guides topic.
- FiJiAn 4 LiFe

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 December 2005 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (ajkhan316` @ Dec 2 2005, 10:20)
mostly because they don't know the controls and the counter-measures.

Yeah thats what i was thinking which i hope i covered in this guide.

Thanks for adding it to the mission guide topic.

@imut_knight that is an optioni considered writing about but as AJ said it takes the fun out of it and it takes longer.

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

It might be a good idea to resize the screenshots or at least put a warning for 56k'ers in the title. The first screenshot weighs almost a megabyte, which is just.. crazy.. cry.gif

You could probably get them at similar quality using .jpg, and they'd only be around 100kb each I reckon.

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:24 PM Edited by YeTi, 02 December 2005 - 01:46 PM.

Yeah you're right i'll get converting them now and uploading again. I'll edit this post when i'm done to let people know.

EDIT: I've converted the pictures to jpg and uploaded them. It should load faster now. And adam you were right the quality was about the same.

Krusty.
  • Krusty.

La Famiglia Di Corleone

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:20 PM

Ahh, One of my favourite missions. I love the tutorial. Amazing work. Keep it up. Maybe write one for End of the Line if there isn't already one. icon14.gif

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Krusty. @ Dec 2 2005, 16:20)
Maybe write one for End of the Line if there isn't already one. icon14.gif

I don't think there is one but not many people have trouble with end of the line anyway.

Thanks btw.

ajkhan316`
  • ajkhan316`

• Members

Posted 03 December 2005 - 06:22 AM

QUOTE (Krusty. @ Dec 3 2005, 01:20)
Ahh, One of my favourite missions. I love the tutorial. Amazing work. Keep it up. Maybe write one for End of the Line if there isn't already one. icon14.gif

Well like YeTi said not many people have a problem with this mission.

If a person has a problem with the first part of the mission, it is mostly because they can't get out because of the fire. The solution : get fireproofed or have someone do it for you.

If a person has a problem with the second part of the mission, it is mostly because they are unable to keep up with the firetruck (because their driving ability isn't that good). I don't know how to teach someone to drive properly and I don't think guides are gonna help when it comes to that.

Though a good N.O.E guide would be welcome YeTi. I know a lot of people have a lot of problem with that mission and it isn't exactly hard once you get to know what to do.
- FiJiAn 4 LiFe

_GangsteR_
  • _GangsteR_

Moonlight shines upon the guilty

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

I also noticed if you circle, hold Lock-on button, and shoot missiles this would be helpfull. The enemy should not fire back becouse he could not do the lock-on on you. Although, if you destroyed two Hydras, you could just go on the helicopter mode and shoot, from time to time throw (missile distraction-I don't know the name).

Mr Killer
  • Mr Killer

Upside-down circle

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 January 2006 - 09:13 AM

Nice guide. It helped me alot, thanks. smile.gif

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (Killer789 @ Jan 4 2006, 09:13)
Nice guide. It helped me alot, thanks. smile.gif

Thanks Killer.

And _GangsteR_ the 'helicopter' mode you spoke of i deliberately didn't mention as alot of people have trouble flying in the first place but hovering is alot harder.

The circling thing thats new i suppose it might work if you were high up however it would take alot of missles and time to hit the enemy.

elias666
  • elias666

The f*ck Up

• Members

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:10 PM

the mission its self is good but gets annoying if u dont take the right equipment - take some body armor and get some good guns - keep in mind ur up against army that uses fully auto guns.

nice guide m8 keep them up

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 22 January 2006 - 04:13 PM

Whats with the bumping of YeTi's topics? Maby a quick check to the rule topic would help you out icon14.gif

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (elias666 @ Jan 22 2006, 16:10)
nice guide m8 keep them up

Thanks.

@Knife i think i've got a fan tounge.gif .

Goodwrench
  • Goodwrench

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:26 AM

Hya Yet's got good guides for sure!

BUT!

It's not the getting the jet that bothers me. I'm just stinking stuck on shooting the stupid other jet down!

Or shooting the stupid boats that don't even move or fire back!

I use my space bar to lock on supposedly and fire with my left mouse button.

But nothing blows up!

Even the ships which arent going anywhere I can blast on em all day and nothing happens.

So There's two different salvos the jet uses?

What button do I push to fire the stinking missles that blow em up?

Ok If I can't do that then I figured out that elusive jet that you can't find on the carrier takes off just as soon as your detected. Now If I can just get to that jet before it takes off then ther'll be no jets following me.

I just wish I could do this thing right but since I can't seem to hit the side of a barn with that jet then I need to just use alternative means.

I know I can exit the jet and blow up the boats with my big bazooka.

But how to take down that stupid last jet? mad.gif

ideaboy
  • ideaboy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (Goodwrench @ Aug 1 2006, 00:26)
Hya Yet's got good guides for sure!

BUT!

It's not the getting the jet that bothers me. I'm just stinking stuck on shooting the stupid other jet down!

Or shooting the stupid boats that don't even move or fire back!

I use my space bar to lock on supposedly and fire with my left mouse button.

But nothing blows up!

Even the ships which arent going anywhere I can blast on em all day and nothing happens.

So There's two different salvos the jet uses?

What button do I push to fire the stinking missles that blow em up?

Ok If I can't do that then I figured out that elusive jet that you can't find on the carrier takes off just as soon as your detected. Now If I can just get to that jet before it takes off then ther'll be no jets following me.

I just wish I could do this thing right but since I can't seem to hit the side of a barn with that jet then I need to just use alternative means.

I know I can exit the jet and blow up the boats with my big bazooka.

But how to take down that stupid last jet? mad.gif

Hey, look, don't be so upset, aight? if you've passed the pilot school, you should be able to control either a heli or a plane, and a Hydra is both. Also, to fire missiles that are stronger than the lock-ons (wich suck at taking ground vehicles down) just don't lock0on and press fire! you can use your plane as a double rocketlauncher that way.

Good guide, altough your grammar and sentence knowledge sucks ass...
confused.gif
anyways, keep it real.

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:45 AM

QUOTE (ideaboy @ Apr 14 2007, 12:51)
Good guide, altough your grammar and sentence knowledge sucks ass...
confused.gif
anyways, keep it real.

I find that ironic as you're post wasn't exactly perfect English wink.gif .

I know the grammer isn't perfect, I'll probably be re-writing it soon.

The One1
  • The One1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

I know this may sound weird....but i finished the tough part of the mission pretty easily...but i couldn't get the hydra to stop in the red marker on the airstrip. After i have landed the plane i am unable to make it stop. can anyone please help me out?

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (The One1 @ Aug 7 2008, 17:40)
I know this may sound weird....but i finished the tough part of the mission pretty easily...but i couldn't get the hydra to stop in the red marker on the airstrip. After i have landed the plane i am unable to make it stop. can anyone please help me out?

Instead of waiting for it to stop, hit Enter and get out of the plane. It'll now be at a full halt. Then re-enter the plane and guide it to the Hangar. smile.gif

The One1
  • The One1

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (girishb @ Aug 7 2008, 12:18)
QUOTE (The One1 @ Aug 7 2008, 17:40)
I know this may sound weird....but i finished the tough part of the mission pretty easily...but  i couldn't get the hydra to stop in the red marker on the airstrip. After i have landed the plane i am unable to make it stop. can anyone please help me out?

Instead of waiting for it to stop, hit Enter and get out of the plane. It'll now be at a full halt. Then re-enter the plane and guide it to the Hangar. smile.gif

It worked! why didn't i think of that... tounge2.gif Thanks a lot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users