-Hot actress

Leblanc: "How YOU doin'?"

?!=+_-
  • ?!=+_-

Member Title

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

Never expected someone like LeBlanc to be on, it's all good I like him.

I always listen to Evans on the radio in the morning on the way to work anyway.

I watched Top Gear Before ClarksonHammondMay and I'll always watch it after but looking forward to their new show too. I buy loads of stuff from Amazon so I don't mind buying Prime.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Returning Member 2014
    Lifetime Achievement Award

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:46 AM

Now I am actually genuinely curious. Sabine Schmitz, Chris Harris, Rory Reid and Eddie Jordan have joined the cast of Top Gear. That might actually be something to watch. But maybe it will be more like Fifth Gear now?

Who knows, but I am definitely going to be watching the first few episodes of this new new Top Gear.

?!=+_-
  • ?!=+_-

Member Title

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

It's definitely worth giving a chance, these are all true petrol heads who know what they're talking about.

I did love how funny Top Gear became with the great 3, I can watch repeats of any episode and enjoy it and laugh.

I hope this doesn't become clinical and still has the flair and from these presenters I'm sure it will be good. Chris Evans has always been a bit of a nutjob and has lots of passion for cars. People may not like him but the same can be said for Clarkson, they both have charisma and aren't boring at all.

The first few episodes of the new top gear back in 2002 weren't all that great but it just got better and better until it was one of the most popular shows.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2015
    Best Poster [Vehicles] 2014

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:35 AM Edited by epoxi, 30 May 2016 - 11:31 AM.

WHY WAS CHRIS EVANS SHOUTING THE WHOLE TIME? DID HE KNOW HE HAD A MICROPHONE?

Aside from that, all in all the new episode is comparable to what Top Gear had become anyway. Some parts felt really awkward: you could tell everyone was trying just a little too hard and wasn't sure how to act, but if you want to see really awkward go back to 2002 and watch the first new-era episode so you can't really blame them. It was a pleasant surprise Matt LeBlanc is a good presenter and has just the right level of cynicism.

The new rally cross car doesn't make sense to me, the idea of rally cross is cool but they should do it in a cheap base model car as that was the principle behind the "reasonably priced car" segment. It would also set them up for some entertaining results.

Overall Top Gear has been dumbed down a bit over the years, regardless of its presenters. For the mainstream it obviously works as their viewing figures had been steadily rising, but for me I prefer more detail. I think content from YouTube shows is beginning to take over that role, the quality of their car shows are incredible considering their budgets.

Edit: On second thoughts maybe it's just no one wants to give them standard cars because it's bad for business for people to see your latest model being decimated by a rally track.
  • Android likes this

?!=+_-
  • ?!=+_-

Member Title

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:53 AM Edited by ?!=+_-, 30 May 2016 - 09:54 AM.

I think the first episode went alright, a bit cringeworthy here and there and sometimes Evans tries to be too much like Clarkson but overall I think it's good and can become better as time goes on.

Can't just expect it to be as good as the old boys straight away. 

The extra gear was good too.

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:40 AM Edited by TheMcSame, 30 May 2016 - 11:02 AM.

Some of my thoughts... (leaning towards negatives)

Top Gear

• Chris Evans' intro to the show was probably the worse thing I've seen. I saw that and pretty much lost all hope straight away.
  • The Clarkson-like script being thrown at them isn't working for Chris.
  • They're trying too hard to be funny.
  • London to Blackpool was a huge disappointment if you ask me. There was no challenge and it wasn't even entertaining in the slightest. Granted, these new hosts haven't really done this before, but the BBC has been doing this for a LONG TIME. You would've thought they'd throw something better at them.
  • Star in a RallyX car segment wasn't bad, Jesse (or however you spell his name) and Chris were a big problem though. They made it pretty awkward. I think Matt would be better suited to doing this segment, and only one star, or two very close stars, should be interviewed.
  • I would've prefered to see guests sh*t themselves in a 600HP RallyX monster. Go big or go home.
  • Not a big fan of the track change if I'm honest.
  • The others aren't that bad, Matt is actually pretty good. From what I've seen so far, Chris seems to be the Jason Dawe of the group. He'll be gone in a season or two.
  • Sabine needs to be a main presenter.
  • They didn't do a power lap for the Nomad

Also, what the f*ck was Chris wearing? And those damn boots... 

Extra Gear

• The presenters seem to work much better.
  • This show in general was much more interesting and watchable than the main show.
  • Too short
  • Chris Evans made an appearance
  • unbid, Android and LightningLord like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:08 PM

this is just weird....

I'm still waiting for the original gang to reboot the concept on another network.

• LightningLord likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
  • Snap Battle Season 3 Winner [X360]
    The Congressional Medal of sh*tposting
    Contribution Award [Snapmatic Competition]
    Most Talented Graphics Artist 2015
    Most Improved Member 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Best Poster [Technology] 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]
    Helpfulness Award [GTA V]

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:19 PM

WHY WAS CHRIS EVANS SHOUTING THE WHOLE TIME? DID HE KNOW HE HAD A MICROPHONE?

This sums up the first episode really well.

Besides that, he acted a bit.. overly excited, to say the least. I enjoyed it way more when Matt was talking instead of Chris, he just seems a bit more natural and chill, compared to Chris being a bit forced and loud. I would like to hope that Matt comes out of his shell a bit more, it'd be much more enjoyable. The London to Blackpool sh*t was boring as hell, I felt a bit iffy about the Viper ACR vs Z06 portion of the show. The woman driving the 'Vette said the car was awful and that it had a suspension that's like a Ferrari.. what was up with that? 

One thing I really did not like was the part where they brought out Gordon Ramsay and Jesse Eisenberg for christ's sake. Not so much because of Gordon, but because of Jesse. I don't know if they gave him a script and told him to be awkward and cheesy, but it was really bad imo. His lap around the track was just as bad. 

So basically imo, the show was half good and half bad. I feel like the next expisode will be a bit better, but we'll all have to wait and see.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:32 PM Edited by epoxi, 30 May 2016 - 07:32 PM.

The woman driving the 'Vette said the car was awful and that it had a suspension that's like a Ferrari.. what was up with that? 

One thing I really did not like was the part where they brought out Gordon Ramsay and Jesse Eisenberg for christ's sake. Not so much because of Gordon, but because of Jesse. I don't know if they gave him a script and told him to be awkward and cheesy, but it was really bad imo. His lap around the track was just as bad.

I also thought that for a moment, but I rewound and Sabine actually said it was "not like [her] Ferrari" implying it wasn't as good.

I agree Jesse was a waste of space, "Hi, I don't own a car, I have no interest in cars, I don't like driving, I'm not particularly interested in what my lap time is and I'm just going to sit here thinking I'm being cute." They should have dropped him and gone with just Gordon Ramsay, but I guess once it's filmed you're kinda screwed. I think there must be certain arrangements with promoters etc. when people do their media circuit in the UK as TG has had a number of useless guests before. They should have known better than to let him on for something as critical as their first episode, eh, there's probably something more complicated behind it.

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:00 PM Edited by TheMcSame, 30 May 2016 - 08:00 PM.

I also thought that for a moment, but I rewound and Sabine actually said it was "not like [her] Ferrari" implying it wasn't as good.

She definitely says "like Ferrari". That being said, the whole quote is being taken out of context, the next sentence is "There's so much more grip than this piece of sh*t".

It's presumably just a language barrier thing.

• epoxi likes this

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

Then that obviously makes much more sense, I guess I wasn't paying attention that much to the whole situation. 

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

Just watched Extra Gear, it was indeed a much better show. More natural presenters, more substantial content, a better guest, I think those guys (Rory and Chris Harris) combined with Matt and Sabine would work very well as the main program.
  • Kippers, Garfield 2 and unbid like this

unbid
  • unbid

Sgt. Pooper Lonely Farts Club

• Zaibatsu
  • Indonesia

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:02 AM Edited by unbid, 31 May 2016 - 05:09 PM.

Just watched Extra Gear, it was indeed a much better show. More natural presenters, more substantial content, a better guest, I think those guys (Rory and Chris Harris) combined with Matt and Sabine would work very well as the main program.

I do agree on that. Chris Harris and Rory seems have some chemistry going on in Extra Gear. Between Rory's banter and Chris Harris being submissive towards it made the segment better than the one Evans and LeBlanc did in the main TG.

On other note, Matt is surprisingly good on reviewing the Nomad. Although Sabine's part on the first episode wassn't really good and her appearance was short, but I would prefer her review the Viper ACR than Evans because she seems know what she would talk about during the Corvette part as she came from the automotive world.
  • epoxi likes this

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:14 PM

Replace "Krusty Krab" with "Top Gear"

Chris Evans was way too shouty and energetic. I also find it a bit farfetched that he beat SABINE in a challenge.

Leblanc was pretty good, especially at reviewing the Nomad, but it is a bit disappointing knowing that he uses both writers and stunt drivers.

Sabine needs to have a bigger role in the show. Her accent is a bit thick, but she definitely would be good doing the power test reviews.

I liked how Evans poked fun at Matt being American. That bit of comedy was actually entertaining. But it bothered me that they used earpieces to communicate rather than an actual radio like I'm used to seeing.

I'm split on the new track. I wish they would've left it alone, but at the same time, if I had to make ANY choice in what to change, rallycross would be my first choice. My original concern was that it would have a lot more variables the more it would be used, making it unsuitable for comparing times, but seeing them essentially build it in Extra Gear put that concern to rest.

They need to not put two completely different celebrities on together, unless they are closely related (e.g. Will Smith/Margot Robbie as co-stars). I mean, what do Gordon Ramsey and Jesse Eisenberg have anything to do with each other? It would've made more sense to have, say, Gordon Ramsey and Guy Fieri. I'm assuming they did two this time to have some kind of comparison, and not have a single name.

BUT, considering they were debuting a completely new track, and new car, they should've thrown one of those party things they did for the past 3 cars where they put up 10-15 lap times in one day. That would've offered a much better introduction to the new track than two people...

I really hope they will keep the F1 Drivers leaderboard and keep the Liana and use the original track. Other than the track and the hosts, that has been the biggest constant in the show's history.

Overall, it was very meh for me. I, unlike all the comments on Facebook I see, really want the new Top Gear to work out. But I have a feeling if it goes along this track, it won't last more than a couple seasons.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:01 PM

Unanimous verdict from everyone I have heard who has watched the show: Chris Evans needs to go.
  • El Diablo, Tchuck, *MURDOC* and 5 others like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:04 PM

this whole fiasco just makes me happy.

http://jalopnik.com/...over-1779653149

they should've let Top Gear die...

• LightningLord likes this

-Silence*
  • -Silence*

Eh?

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:33 PM

I dunno how I feel about it. On the one hand its trying too hard to be like the 'old' TG, Evan's needs to pipe down and talk normally instead of loud and shouty. The star interview was just stupid. On the other hand LeBlanc was a better host and car reviewer than I expected, the music was good, it was a visually good show as usual and the new rallycross track is actually pretty sweet. 

I can see some potential in it if they can shake off trying to ride the wave that is 'old' TG & just let the hosts find their own groove to reinvent the show in a new way.

• El Diablo, epoxi, ?!=+_- and 1 other like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 01 June 2016 - 12:02 AM Edited by El Diablo, 01 June 2016 - 12:29 AM.

you're right.

there was some potential on display.

Evans was great in the studio. LeBlanc was great as a presenter behind the wheel.

the filming/direction itself was still pretty striking and creative.

but Evans was terrible behind the wheel and LeBlanc was terrible in studio.

the adventurous/challenge segments were just cringe-worthy and hard to watch. they were just forced and had literally no purpose. they had none of the fun, none of the funny, and none of the excitement of the original challenges. and with just 2 guys there's no interesting character dynamics at play; their personalities don't clash, they're not leaving each other behind, they're shaking hands.

it makes me sick.

they should hired Sabine Schmitz to play 3rd host... shake things up. make it fresh.

• Android, Testarossa, LightningLord and 1 other like this

Primexjaytee
  • Primexjaytee

Automobile Fanatic

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:32 PM

I will be watching the original three on amazon and the original three only. However, I also watch the U.S. Top Gear despite how much it lacks in quality.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:27 AM

Evans was great in the studio.

I don't know what show you were watching but he was bouncing around and running laps all over and yelling loud enough to make children cry. If he could take a downer or two before recording the next episode I'll retract my judgement, but as for this first episode, I cringed watching him interacting with the crowd.

• epoxi and *MURDOC* like this

TheMcSame
  • TheMcSame

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2016 - 08:42 PM Edited by TheMcSame, 06 June 2016 - 03:12 PM.

Round 2

TG Notes.

Overall: Not a bad episode, there's still some improvements to be made, but this was a big improvement over the first episode imo.

Spoiler

Just a random thought...

I can't really see the RallyX track standing up that well in the winter.

Notes on Top Gear Extra 

Overall - pretty bad tbh, nowhere near as good as the first episode imo.

Spoiler

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:08 AM

I have a feeling that rather than saying "And on that bombshell" at the end of every episode, someone will go "And on that bo..." before Chris cuts them off saying they don't do that anymore, ​and do that every episode, instead.  I really hope they can find some groove, because right now, it all just looks really cheesy and poorly acted in the studio.

And I hate that they have the crowd chime in with the Stig introduction. It just adds to the idea the entire thing is just a big script, rather than feeling like a genuine studio audience.

S99
  • S99

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:02 PM

Just a random thought...

I can't really see the RallyX track standing up that well in the winter.

Personally I believe the RallyX track would be best in the winter with celebrity's whom will be unable to control the vehicle on slippy mud, I mean even professionals (Including novice races) in the RX Supercars and the lesser cars have bother when its wet so it might be good to watch.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

still not feeling it, so far.

LeBlanc is passable but doesn't feel passionate.

Evans has not been improving.

why is Extra Gear suddenly so much better than Top Gear?

I feel like Rory Reid, Chris Harris, and Sabine Schmitz would be like the dream team. they should just switch the Top Gear hosts with the Extra Gear hosts :lol:

?!=+_-
  • ?!=+_-

Member Title

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:00 PM

I watched it on iplayer yesterday, think it's better but can't stand the ridiculous star in car bit so skipped that but overall worth watching if you like cars.

unbid
  • unbid

Sgt. Pooper Lonely Farts Club

• Zaibatsu
  • Indonesia

Posted 14 June 2016 - 09:59 PM

http://www.leftlanen...drop-92026.html

Finally, BBC gets it. I didn't watched episode 3 yet, but the first two episodes are indeed a disappointment.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Näkyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 15 June 2016 - 05:51 AM

Episode 3 was better, but Evans is f*cking annoying still. Ditch him entirely, promote Harris and Reid to full time presenters with Leblanc and you've got the makings of something pretty decent.
  • epoxi and Ex Hellraiser like this

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:29 PM Edited by epoxi, 22 June 2016 - 06:29 PM.

I enjoyed the latest episode more than I liked any of the episodes from the last series of Top Gear, they're definitely getting back on track.

I don't know how viewing figures will do though, they might not bounce back: a lot of people I have spoken to say "I'm not interested cars but I liked watching Top Gear, I don't like Top Gear any more." I don't care about them not enjoying it, but I do care about the budget a bigger audience brings.

Android
  • Android

• Facade
  • None
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best New Gang 2014 [RBE]

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

http://www.telegraph...ost-chris-evans

zriAMCH.gif

I feel like the show will just end up being canceled.. I like LeBlanc a lot, but with Evans it's just so awkward. LeBlanc / Harris as presenters would be 10/10.

• Payne Killer likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users