Top Gear topic

1,943 replies to this topic
SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:29 PM

Ill put it another way. You come to my house with a "Estelada" tied to your neck and don't be surprised if ask you to leave. I like Top Gear and making fun of everybody is part of the program, but provoking about a war where many people died is out of the picture. 

I don't fully disagree, but I don't believe Top Gear intentionally did that this time.  Particularly considering that the BBC had warned the production team not to beforehand.  I fully believe it was a mistake.

Could be a mistake? Maybe. But since they have provoked people in the past, people are not going to buy this is a mistake although it probably is one. 

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:40 PM

Ill put it another way. You come to my house with a "Estelada" tied to your neck and don't be surprised if ask you to leave. I like Top Gear and making fun of everybody is part of the program, but provoking about a war where many people died is out of the picture. 

I don't fully disagree, but I don't believe Top Gear intentionally did that this time.  Particularly considering that the BBC had warned the production team not to beforehand.  I fully believe it was a mistake.

Could be a mistake? Maybe. But since they have provoked people in the past, people are not going to buy this is a mistake although it probably is one. 

That I fully agree with.  However, there is a big difference between being asked to leave or being thrown stones at.  Two crew members were injured during the attacks.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:51 PM

We do have a site for conducting checks based on reg. The info the DVLA holds on H982 FKL (not FLK) is:

Vehicle details

Vehicle make PORSCHE
Date of first registration 30 May 1991
Year of manufacture 1991
Cylinder capacity (cc) 4957cc
CO₂Emissions Not available
Fuel type PETROL
Export marker No
Vehicle status Tax not due
Vehicle colour GREY
Vehicle type approval Not available
  • epoxi likes this

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

I think the caravan challenge episode is my new favorite episode. Freaking hillarious.

ZeusMowat_278
  • ZeusMowat_278

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:21 AM

My favourite funny Top Gear moment was this

http://m.liveleak.co...=7b8_1311067962

No YouTube link for some reason :/

ARCTICvnc
  • ARCTICvnc

Veritas

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:24 AM

We do have a site for conducting checks based on reg. The info the DVLA holds on H982 FKL (not FLK) is:

Vehicle details

Vehicle make PORSCHE
Date of first registration 30 May 1991
Year of manufacture 1991
Cylinder capacity (cc) 4957cc
CO₂Emissions Not available
Fuel type PETROL
Export marker No
Vehicle status Tax not due
Vehicle colour GREY
Vehicle type approval Not available

TOP-GEAR-BARILOCHE-4.jpg?resize=600%2C43

Matches pretty well

This seems like a coincidence.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:43 PM Edited by epoxi, 07 October 2014 - 06:02 PM.

There is of course the possibility they bought the car because of the number plate.

They don't buy their used cars with any sensible strategy because the more they break down the more material they have for the show (plus it would be a waste to 'Top Gear challenge' a good example of a car). So, odds are that they were flicking through the classified ads looking for cars in preparation for the Argentina shoot, saw the Porsche: "Hey, this one has a number plate that looks like Falklands...and it even matches the war year!" and decided to get it just to spice up the program.

I don't think it was done with any forethought, but I don't think it was an accident either, Top Gear is a program that thrives on awkwardness and (often staged) shock factor.

I am 99% sure there is a reel of video sitting somewhere with exactly this scene:

*Cast show each other their cars, the moment approaches*
"Err...Jeremy."
"What?"
"Have you noticed something about your car?"
"What about it? You mean how it's better than yours?"
"No, I mean the number plate..."
*awkward silence*
"Jeremy you can't seriously take that to Argentina"
*forced sheepish look on Clarkson's face*
"Oh, Jezza, you can't take that! They'll think your invading"
"What do you mean May? It's a German car, they won't be threatened. We all know the Germans' track record of taking over other countries."
*cast laugh*
etc. etc.

(Replace generic WWII reference with one of your choosing)

Edit: It is especially suspicious because they have already had a Porsche 928 for the £1,500 Porsche challenge, so what other motive would there be to re-run a car?
  • sivispacem likes this

gagemb9918
  • gagemb9918

It's the Albanian rozzers!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

I really like the Perfect Road Trip episodes with Hammond and Clarkson. One of the funniest parts was when they tried to keep their car in front of the hotel in Monaco, so they got a Ford Model T and watched the valet try to run it.

gagemb9918
  • gagemb9918

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:55 PM

There is of course the possibility they bought the car because of the number plate.

They don't buy their used cars with any sensible strategy because the more they break down the more material they have for the show (plus it would be a waste to 'Top Gear challenge' a good example of a car). So, odds are that they were flicking through the classified ads looking for cars in preparation for the Argentina shoot, saw the Porsche: "Hey, this one has a number plate that looks like Falklands...and it even matches the war year!" and decided to get it just to spice up the program.

I don't think it was done with any forethought, but I don't think it was an accident either, Top Gear is a program that thrives on awkwardness and (often staged) shock factor.

I am 99% sure there is a reel of video sitting somewhere with exactly this scene:

*Cast show each other their cars, the moment approaches*
"Err...Jeremy."
"What?"
"Have you noticed something about your car?"
"What about it? You mean how it's better than yours?"
"No, I mean the number plate..."
*awkward silence*
"Jeremy you can't seriously take that to Argentina"
*forced sheepish look on Clarkson's face*
"Oh, Jezza, you can't take that! They'll think your invading"
"What do you mean May? It's a German car, they won't be threatened. We all know the Germans' track record of taking over other countries."
*cast laugh*
etc. etc.

(Replace generic WWII reference with one of your choosing)

Edit: It is especially suspicious because they have already had a Porsche 928 for the £1,500 Porsche challenge, so what other motive would there be to re-run a car?

Argentines shouldn't even be offended. They tried to invade, they failed, we can make all the jokes we want about it. Seeing the hosts get run out of the country was pretty sad, f*ck the butthurt Argentines.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:28 PM Edited by RoadRunner71, 07 October 2014 - 09:34 PM.

Argentines shouldn't even be offended. They tried to invade, they failed, we can make all the jokes we want about it. Seeing the hosts get run out of the country was pretty sad, f*ck the butthurt Argentines.

Would you like jokes about the English soldiers killed in Northern Ireland by chance or Americans in Iraq?

gagemb9918
  • gagemb9918

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:00 PM

Would you like jokes about the English soldiers killed in Northern Ireland by chance or Americans in Iraq?

Well im american so no

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

Well im american so no

How about in 20 years time?

gagemb9918
  • gagemb9918

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

Well im american so no

How about in 20 years time?

If somehow, my country ends up getting taken over and Im forced to switch religions, customs, etc. Then will i come back to tell you you're right.

gagemb9918
  • gagemb9918

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 October 2014 - 10:32 PM Edited by gagemb9918, 11 October 2014 - 10:32 PM.

Came across an inevitable article on the Top Gear website explaining the Argentina incident and why they, in no way, shape, or form have put the number plate on the Porsche 928 deliberately.

Here's their testimony:

The truth is, however, this is most definitely not the sort of stunt we’d pull. For starters we would not base a joke around soldiers in conflict. Anybody who knows Top Gear knows how much work the presenters and the show does for Help For Heroes, and in our eyes soldiers are soldiers whatever the uniform.

Secondly, we set out on that trip to shoot a two-hour Christmas Special. It’s the most important film we make all year, and we would not plan such a crucial undertaking based on a number plate joke. Because, if you think about it for a moment, that’s precisely what we would have had to do.

We would have had to gather the whole team and say: “Sod what the cars are for this trip, just find one that’s registered with a number plate containing 982 and FKL.” The plate was a genuine plate, remember, not one we made up.

If you don't think that's liable enough information, here's the next section based solely on facts, that will most likely convince you.

So our researchers would have got on the phone to the DVLA, asked them if such a car existed, and then when the DVLA came back and said, “There is, actually, on a Porsche 928,” we’d have then asked for the details of the owner.

At this point the DVLA would have refused, because that would be a contravention of the Data Protection Act (and they don’t pass on requests the other way to specific owners). So let’s say we persevere and obtain, probably illegally, the details of the owner of that car.

Then what? Then we would have to knock on his door and try and persuade him to sell us his car. And all this because we’re desperate to find a number plate with joke numbers and letters on it. It’s just nonsense beyond belief.

So let’s say we did know what cars we wanted for this shoot – V8 sports cars, as it happens. We would then be saying to the research team: “Make sure the Porsche has a number plate with that combination of numbers and letters.”

Right. Do you know how many Porsche 928GTs there were for sale when we were looking? Two or three, tops. The odds of one having the number plate we “wanted” are millions to one. The plate was genuine, remember, not one we had made up.

Chew on that for a while. 

Read for yourself, here

• epoxi likes this

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:13 AM Edited by epoxi, 12 October 2014 - 12:14 AM.

Interesting find.

I am still going to lean to the cynical side though and stick to my hypothesis that they knew. Not that I am siding with the aggressors or believe Top Gear are out to pick on the Argentinians, but there are just so many elements to the show that I can't see the plate going unnoticed.

Stop reading now because I'm just going to be petty and pick at some of the things stated in that article.

He says they didn't notice because "the eldest of the team was around six when the Falklands War broke out, so it’s not going to resonate even if they did see the plates." but the entire show is a crash course in middle-aged British nostalgia, containing visual gags of exactly this variety like the Peniston biscuits car door and the British IT train banner.

"Anybody who knows Top Gear knows how much work the presenters and the show does for Help For Heroes, and in our eyes soldiers are soldiers whatever the uniform." The very foundation of my last post is how much Top Gear constantly joke about wars and history.

I will close with my most trivial of points: there are more than three 928 GTs for sale.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:10 AM

"Anybody who knows Top Gear knows how much work the presenters and the show does for Help For Heroes, and in our eyes soldiers are soldiers whatever the uniform." The very foundation of my last post is how much Top Gear constantly joke about wars and history.

Perhaps, but even their constant jokes about the Second World War haven't included ridiculing German soldiers specifically.  Nothing wrong with mocking politics, but soldiers is a different matter, one of which Top Gear avoids mocking.

• sivispacem likes this

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:30 PM Edited by epoxi, 12 October 2014 - 12:31 PM.

In this particular instance they would still not be ridiculing soldiers, they would be mocking the defeat of a country just like they do to Germany. However I am annoyed how he is using this defence to deflect any criticism: he is arguing with the accusation they are insulting soldiers which isn't even the issue.

It's like making a criticism of a person of a different race to you and then shouting "Are you calling me a racist!?" if someone calls you out on it. It's the classic 'make the other person feel self-conscious for questioning your judgement so they will back off' technique. i.e. most people will be too reluctant to carry on saying anything for fear of looking like a bully.

But I suppose it's all part of the PR business.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:29 PM Edited by Svip, 12 October 2014 - 01:29 PM.

In this particular instance they would still not be ridiculing soldiers, they would be mocking the defeat of a country just like they do to Germany. However I am annoyed how he is using this defence to deflect any criticism: he is arguing with the accusation they are insulting soldiers which isn't even the issue.

No, that is the issue, the Argentine Falkland Wars veterans argued specifically that they felt they were being humiliated.  In fact, the veterans themselves are talking about suing Jeremy Clarkson now.  This is completely dissimilar to the other incidents of controversies, where complaints have been made by consulates or ambassadors to the British government, the BBC or Ofcom.  No one has so far considered the bother of suing one of the presenters.  (Except when the BBC sued the previous Stig.)  I am confident that the Argentinians themselves are stirring up most of this.  Did Top Gear ask the DVLA to fake its records?

Also, time and time again have Top Gear been to Germany, and I don't recall any of those times Germans throwing stones at them.  When Hammond drove in Mexico, the danger of his road test was clearly overstated for dramatic effect, but in reality, he would have been more likely to have been killed accidentally in a drug cartel shoot out.

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

My mistake, I did not realise the controversy has amounted to this. My understanding was that the upset was simply between those ignorant people throwing stones and general diplomatic disappointment (à la Mexican ambassador with the Mexico mess). And I agree with you that this is definitely being stirred up, this number plate is an extremely tedious matter to get upset about alone. Also, it doesn't help that Damon Albarn is poking his head where it doesn't belong just because he doesn't like Jeremy Clarkson (he seems to be quite naive in not noticing that the entire world dislikes the character Clarkson plays, and that his entertaining blanket statements and ramblings are basically the centrepiece of the show).

But my point is is very simply that I find it hard to believe that no one from the BBC, at any point in the production cycle of one of the most popular TV shows in the world, did not notice the relevance of the number plate. I am not suggesting that the BBC is in bed with the DVLA, that the production was designed to offend, or that there is any kind of conspiracy going on. I am just cynnical about the statement they have put out, which in all honesty may be the right statement because blunt denials always seem to be the first resort in any public relations incident.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:39 PM

But my point is is very simply that I find it hard to believe that no one from the BBC, at any point in the production cycle of one of the most popular TV shows in the world, did not notice the relevance of the number plate. I am not suggesting that the BBC is in bed with the DVLA, that the production was designed to offend, or that there is any kind of conspiracy going on. I am just cynnical about the statement they have put out, which in all honesty may be the right statement because blunt denials always seem to be the first resort in any public relations incident.

I am sort of with you on that, but I could actually imagine them being that stupid.  Particularly the fact that they had replacement number plates ("BE11 END") in its boot makes it seem suspicious that they didn't look at the car's current number plates and notice anything.  The Porsche was replaced with number plates saying "H1 VAE", I've understood.  But by that point, it was too late.

I am almost sort of inclined to think that some of them did notice, but rather than make a joke about it initially, just thought or maybe even said, just leave it on and see what happens.  Until someone else finally noticed.  I definitely do not believe there will be a clip of them discussing the number plate.  It would quite possibly just have been some understanding glares.

But the BBC nor Jeremy Clarkson cannot be accused of falsifying the number plate (as the veterans seem to be suggesting they did).

• epoxi likes this

epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 12 October 2014 - 02:46 PM

But the BBC nor Jeremy Clarkson cannot be accused of falsifying the number plate (as the veterans seem to be suggesting they did).

Haha yeah. I have grown increasingly skeptical of the British government over the years but I would never go so far as thinking that!

By 'over the years' I mean my parents always told me the British system is perfect, which it is compared to the countries they are from, but things like the Plebgate scandal have opened my eyes a bit.

gagemb9918
  • gagemb9918

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2014 - 05:37 PM

I think it's gone too far into this. I'm still in my own circle believing that it's Argentina's fault for trying to invade other land, they can get ridiculed for as far as I'm concerned. Now, does that give Top Gear the right to insult (which they didn't)? No.

But, petty references like "F982 FLK" shouldn't be enough to stir up controversy from all over the globe.

If they didn't wanna lose the war, they shouldv'e been better trained or better yet, not even try to invade the country. But, that's just my two cents.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:41 PM

If they didn't wanna lose the war, they shouldv'e been better trained or better yet, not even try to invade the country.

oh lord. politically incorrect much?

there's so many things I could say about this statement that it would take me the next 10 minutes to unpack....

this is about to turn into a goddamn serious debate topic if we don't find a way to move on.

gagemb9918
  • gagemb9918

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2014 - 07:49 PM

If they didn't wanna lose the war, they shouldv'e been better trained or better yet, not even try to invade the country.

oh lord. politically incorrect much?
there's so many things I could say about this statement that it would take me the next 10 minutes to unpack....

this is about to turn into a goddamn serious debate topic if we don't find a way to move on.

Then, be the big man and start another conversation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users