Photo

[WIP] Port Orchid

33 replies to this topic
JasonB
  • JasonB

GTA-SA/GTA-VC/GTA3 Modder Extraordinaire

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:10 AM Edited by JasonB, 09 April 2006 - 08:10 AM.

I think it's about time I made an official topic about my island, and now that it has a name and the project has undergone massive change, it seems appropriate to make a topic.

Project overview and history:
This is the largest modelling project I have ever undertaken, and is a massive challenge, but is also fun, hence the reason I persevere and continue making it. This project started earlier this year to see if I could effectively make a set of roads as a basis for a larger project. This small set of roads eventually expanded and I started modelling buildings, and eventually I decided to turn it into a full island for the MI project. I contacted illspirit to see what he thought and whether it could become a part of the MI project. Positive comments and project approval was given and the project continued in full force. Unfortunately the island was flawed, since it was an expanding project that received little to no planning, it became messy and unorganised. Before long, this mess became disappointing, and a project restart was made. The entire road and land mass was scraped, and a new one was made, superior to the old one, and larger as well. Old buildings and development were transferred over, and new buildings are being modelled to fill the new room. Raar!

About Port Orchid
TopicInformation
How to get therePort Orchid is located to the east of the illCOM island, and is accessible via means of car, train, foot or ferry.
Finding your way aroundPort Orchid is comprised of 7 distinct areas:
South Coast
Somerton Quay
Broadway
Heiko Park
Chinatown
Newbay
Queens Point

From fancy shops to majestic oceanfronts and massive skyscrapers to seedy red light districts, Port Orchid has something for everyone. Signs, maps and helpful people are rife throughout Port Orchid, however watch out for the con artists, thieves and corrupt businessmen and police who are more than willing to exploit you.
Public ServicesPort Orchid is safe in the hands of the dedicated police, fire and paramedic staff who are willing to come to your aid whatever the need. A police station is located in Queens Point and the Morton Memorial Hospital in Newbay.
Map of the Islanduser posted image

*Please note: this map will be updated when the coastline and more buildings and landmarks are added, it is simply to give you an idea of the road layout.
Transport Services in Port Orchid
TopicInformation
WalkingPort Orchid has some fantastic sites to visit, some of them which you can only see and fully appreciate while on foot. Run or walk through the island, it's your choice, but beware, Port Orchid can be a dangerous place, especially at night. Watch you back while on foot, even more so when travelling alone.
Car & Bike
user posted image
Need to get somewhere quickly? Need to get away from someone is a hurry? Want to see the sites with the wind in your hair? Too lazy to walk? Whatever the reason there will always be a car available to you, whether you acquire it through purchase or violent encounter in the street is up to you. Port Orchid has plenty of car dealerships and car parks where you might acquire your next ride. For a quick trip through the city try taking a trip through the Carson Tunnel (covered below) or get to Newbay from South Coast in a breeze by driving through the Chinatown underpass.
The Carson Tunnel
user posted image
The Carson Tunnel is a massive tunnel that travels under Port Orchid with convenient stops at the following locations:
South Coast
Broadway
illSTA (if it goes ahead)
Queens Point

Travel through the tunnel is free and fast and potentially hazardous. It will also help you bypass the hordes of traffic lights and carjackers.
TrainsPort Orchid is connected to the Myriad Islands train system via the Carson Tunnel connection to the illSTA island train station. Myriad Islands trains run 24/7 and are cheap, fast ways to get through the city, and are full of the homeless, dealers, general scum and those trying to go about their daily life.
Boats & FerriesFerries depart from Somerton Quay often, and can get you around the waterways of Myriad, too see the sites, take a break and maybe dump a body as well. Boats can also be found around the wharves of the island, so if you feel the need for private boating through Myriad Islands waterways, check it out for a free ride.
HelicopterHelipads are common on the rooftops of massive office buildings, many with lousy security. Flying over the streets is a great way to make an entrance, and a fast getaway tool.

Heiko Park
TopicInformation
How to get thereHeiko Park is located in the centre of Port Orchid, and within walking (or running, depending if someone is after you) distance to the fabulous Broadway.
The AreaHeiko Park is a public access parkland dedicated to the memory of Heiko Feege (also known as Odie). A lovely walking area, it is full of lakes and trees, carefully maintained by dedicated city staff. Crime in the area is low, except for drug usage and dealings in the public toilets, which are best avoided unless you are looking for a buzz.
Points of InterestHeiko Park has several points of interest which you may want to visit during your visit:
*Odie Memorial Statue
*Old Cathedral
*Conference Centre
PhotographySeveral photos of the area have been provided by the Myriad Islands Tourism Board:
user posted image
user posted image

Somerton Quay
TopicInformation
How to get thereSomerton Quay occupies most of the east coast of Port Orchid, and can easily be accessed by road or foot from Broadway, South Coast or Queens Point.
The AreaSomerton Quay is an upscale waterfront populated with some of the largest buildings on Earth. A myriad of people can be found walking these areas, shoppers buying the latest craze to hit the streets, low lives trying to score a cheap buck, criminals lurking in the dark, tourists taking in the majestic scenery before they notice their camera is gone and businessmen doing their 9-5 thing, killing competitors, insider trading and selling off everything that's not theirs. Parts of the district are currently undergoing reconstruction following the attacks of 2001.
Points of InterestSomerton Quay has several points of interest which you may want to visit during your visit:
*World Centre Plaza
*Oceanfront Stores
*The Skyline
*Ferry Quay (with convenient stops at illCOM and the Statue of Tyranny)
PhotographySeveral photos of the area have been provided by the Myriad Islands Tourism Board:
user posted image
More will be added to this topic when I develop more of the island. Thank you.

JasonB
  • JasonB

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:11 AM

Post reserved for when more is added to the topic.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:19 AM

I'm looking foward to that island biggrin.gif

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 01 December 2005 - 09:32 AM

Yay, you used Somerton smile.gif Looking great Jason, keep up the good work.

Eclipse_nl
  • Eclipse_nl

Grand Tani Islands

• Members

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

Looking good. Keep it up!

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:30 PM

Awesome Jason good style and nice layout for the island. And im thinking when all the islands are actualy putted together we actualy got a really large play area. If myriad will be completed it just will have 9 islands correct me if im wrong

- Respawns Islands (i though 2 islands)
- JasonB island(s) (1 island )
- Myriad Baseland (2 islands
- Black Mesa (2 islands)
- Grand Tani Islands (2 islands *same as myriad baseland)

so it definiatly beats San andreas in the Square feet/meters of land mass.
i will be really looking forward to the completion of this mod. biggrin.gif

siddv
  • siddv

sum 1

• Members

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:48 PM

this looks amazing! i have to get san andreas now. rolleyes.gif
damn stupid new unmoddable one mad.gif

it looks well good
the comercial island of MI

siddv
  • siddv

sum 1

• Members

Posted 01 December 2005 - 07:51 PM

love the ideas of a ferry

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:43 AM

Good to see someone who actually has the time to make something amazing tounge.gif

Good to see you used my name! biggrin.gif

CTM
  • CTM

A ringing phone has to be answered, doesn't it?

• Members

Posted 03 December 2005 - 08:10 PM

If this gets fully completed (and I have great faith that it will), it'll be legendary.

Nice work, Jason. smile.gif

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 04 December 2005 - 12:44 AM

I see you ditched Victoria. Oh well... tounge.gif
I was surprised by 'Port Orchid', but I must say it sounds good and more appropiate for your projec then Victoria did.
Seeing the massive amount of work you put into this, I'm sure it'll turn out superb.
Best of luck with Port Orchid. icon14.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:25 PM

Some of the corners in the wide roads seem a little on the sharp side? Nice job on the design work. Make sure you don't get back into the bad habit of thinking up "cool ideas" and dumping them wherever the nearest space is! tounge.gif

JasonB
  • JasonB

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2005 - 09:24 AM

Read the first post for details on why this doesn't seem to be alive.

@Cerb:
The only real sharp corner on the highway is at the top of Somerton Quay, what appear to be sharp corners at Chinatown aren't even corners. At the west end of South Coast the highway lowers, and the highway actually goes under the edge of Chinatown and goes up again and meets with the road.

@aad:
Respawn is only making 1 island not 2.

@everyone else:
Thanks for all the kind words. I was delayig a response until I had something else to show, but I dont. Stay tuned!

Also the ferries will actually have a purpose, but that is yet to be revealed.

Also I just realised, when I took rendered that picture of the roads I must have accidently hidden a portion, because where the bridge enters the island it doesn't stop where it does, it connects onto the road to the east of that. My bad.

JasonB
  • JasonB

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:14 AM

Double Post, oh noes!
Update on the first post. More updates should follow shortly. Thankyou smile.gif

Black-hawk
  • Black-hawk

Boss

• The Connection

Posted 20 January 2006 - 11:18 AM

Hell yes! That LC style you're using is making me love it. Plus the park is a great memorial to Odie.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:31 PM

Oh meh teh god. Yes! - GTAuron

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:19 PM

This is coming together nicely, but your railway station on illCOM is a higher priority, imho. You said you were going to produce a model of it ASAP. Without knowing where that station will be and what other buildings will be on it, the route for the railway cannot be built. It's a crucial part of the railway as it determines the possible locations of illSTA and therefore the direction from which the route will approach illURB.

Once we know the direction of approach towards illURB and where Necrosis will be in relation to ilLRES, the Northern route can begin its final stage of design. The sooner this is done, the sooner it can be constructed, prelit, divided into lots and released in a new GTASA version, moving the whole project forwards. smile.gif

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

Very good work, Jason.

wauzie
  • wauzie

GTI + MI

• Members

Posted 20 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

Nice piece of modelling icon14.gif . I can't wait to see more screens/progress smile.gif .

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:36 PM Edited by GTAuron, 20 January 2006 - 05:38 PM.

@Cerb: Can't Illy just start work on IllURB already? After all IllSTA could then be built around how Illy builds the track along the east coast of IllURB, and the station from where this is built? It would get things rolling a lot sooner, and with the track along the east of illCOM and illURB being a rather large stretch with not an awful lot in the way, this bit could be just revised depending on whats the easiest place to put illSTA, once the rest of illURB railway has been built, up to about the point of Black Mesa, from where illURB and illRES meet.

What I'm trying to say is that Illspirit (providing he's the one agreeing to do it, which it appears so) can start work on the track, from in between of IllRES and IllURB, towards Black Mesa. This would be a start, and finally get the ball rolling on what is a rather large delay to the whole project. There's no reason why the rest can't be designed onto it later, as after all, the railway running over illURB is pretty much finalised and there's no reason now why that part can't be built.
- GTAuron

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 20 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

I agree with GTAuron that work could now be started on the north islands just starting and ending where the designated route would continue.

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:02 PM

I believe all that yada-yada about the train stuff has it's own topic.

Now about this topic:

Jason, that park looks great. A real tribute to Odie.
Is that blue building staying opposite your cathedral? 'Cause it might ruin the atmosphere of your cathedral. I can't say for sure... I think I'll need to see more pics sigh.gif
Are you going to let the statue be flat-shaded? I know the original is, but that doesn't mean you have to exactly copy it...or does it?
Anyway, keep em coming icon14.gif

AbMc²
  • AbMc²

AE_business GTA

• Members

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:16 PM

Looks very good, nice Odie memorial!

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

• Members

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (JasonB @ Dec 29 2005, 09:24)

Respawn is only making 1 island not 2.

In my opinion, REspawn makes two islands (one small as illsub)

da_destroyer
  • da_destroyer

When will I chop another head off with my scythe?

• Members

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:32 PM

Impressive smile.gif

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

• Members

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:42 AM

JB, any progress screen?

JasonB
  • JasonB

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:35 AM

I've updated the first post with 2 more renders and some new info. Enjoy

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:44 AM

Nice work JasonB its really giving me the feeling of the New York atmosphere. Really an Nice addition to myriad islands. happy.gif

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

• Members

Posted 09 April 2006 - 01:07 PM

As always, nice "photos". I love GTA 3 => I love your island!
I don't present, as far as MI becomes popular after Port Orchid and Necrosis Island release alien.gif

JasonB
  • JasonB

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2006 - 12:13 PM

I love how people credit my New York atmosphere when I have almost no idea about New York. This island is me trying to recreate the things that made Liberty City the best for me. When I finish up (mostly) on the train bridges in a few days, more renders will follow.

Including some what I think are rather innovative in terms of GTA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users