FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
344 replies to this topic
GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 17 August 2006 - 10:49 AM

Any VC model works with LC. You can replace him with Tommy for all you want.
If you know coding, you could make outfit pickups. An idea for final that was shut down. :-(
At least a prison outfit would be nice...

Vanillainy
  • Vanillainy

Fancy Clown.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:37 PM

Im just looking around GTAGarage now, do most of the mods for VC work with LC then?

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:25 AM

Any that is not a map or scm change I believe.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:14 AM

Most VC mods should work with LC, although perhaps not straight out - you'll probably have to make some changes to them first. Likewise, GTA3 map mods should work with LC fairly well (the models might need some tweakage), but they'd have to be shifted -335x and +6z. Have a play around and see how you go smile.gif.

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

GTA:LC kiwi :)

• Members

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:08 PM

hello dudes smile.gif

here a question that's not in 1st post: I have the Italian (european?) version of VC, I think it should work right? or european=german ver? confused.gif

other thing: do you think that gta3's italian language file (Italian.gxt) could work with LC?

thanks icon14.gif

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE (kiwidesign @ Aug 19 2006, 18:08)
hello dudes smile.gif

here a question that's not in 1st post: I have the Italian (european?) version of VC, I think it should work right? or european=german ver? confused.gif

other thing: do you think that gta3's italian language file (Italian.gxt) could work with LC?

thanks icon14.gif

No, european version doesn't equal german version, or we would be screwed. tounge.gif Anyway, the LC launcher should support every possible exe, so that's not a problem.

The gxt file format is different between GTA3 and VC, so it won't work.

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

• Members

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Aug 19 2006, 17:10)

this means that I'll never have LC in italian, unless I'll take modded american.gxt and translate it by myself? moto_whistle.gif

(I could really do it... with Vice gxt editor, the original gta3 italian.gxt and a lot of patience user posted image ...the team is interested?)

offthewall
  • offthewall

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:11 PM

Help, I can't get any of the versions to extract whatever the autext.exe and audimp.exe are used for. Whenever I follow the directions and put it in the LC audio folder (v6,7) and click on it, the window just crashes..I don't know what to do next. Also I couldn't get v7t to get passed the loading bar, LC just closes with no error. I downloaded version 5b hoping that it would work because the audio and everything is built into one installer, but when it's almost done with the installation, audimp.exe fails to extract the necessary SFX files and it just ignores the error and installs without audio. I don't know what to do next, I hope I put this in the right thread, someone please help me!

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (kiwidesign @ Aug 20 2006, 07:57)
QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Aug 19 2006, 17:10)

this means that I'll never have LC in italian, unless I'll take modded american.gxt and translate it by myself? moto_whistle.gif

(I could really do it... with Vice gxt editor, the original gta3 italian.gxt and a lot of patience user posted image ...the team is interested?)

That'd be great if you'd like to do a translation smile.gif. It hopefully wouldn't take too long - you could just copy strings from GTA3 into the corresponding LC string, but I think you'd have to look into renaming all of the strings in LC first (because I don't think the Italian file has been touched).

But yeah, if you could do a translation, that'd be awesome icon14.gif.

QUOTE (offthewall @ Aug 20 2006, 09:11)
Help, I can't get any of the versions to extract whatever the autext.exe and audimp.exe are used for. Whenever I follow the directions and put it in the LC audio folder (v6,7) and click on it, the window just crashes..I don't know what to do next. Also I couldn't get v7t to get passed the loading bar, LC just closes with no error. I downloaded version 5b hoping that it would work because the audio and everything is built into one installer, but when it's almost done with the installation, audimp.exe fails to extract the necessary SFX files and it just ignores the error and installs without audio. I don't know what to do next, I hope I put this in the right thread, someone please help me!

You need to go into the Audio folder and right click on SFX.raw, and then go to Properties. Then, uncheck the Read Only box, and do the same for SFX.sdt. It should all run fine then smile.gif.

offthewall
  • offthewall

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 August 2006 - 08:41 PM

I tried the Beta2 V5 launcher again, and miraculously I didn't give me any errors, but I cant use V5 with my save file, or the file that I downloaded. Then I tried Beta2 V6 again, and everything works fine in that except, the audtext.exe and audtext.dpr. I still get perfect audio in that version except the radio stations, I dont even know what audtext.exe does but it works fine without it.
But now I want to try Beta2 V7 but I cant get that thing to play at all. I looked up SFX.raw and the other SFX file and the read only box wasn't checked. I think it's because I didnt install V7 right. Could someone tell me how to install it? I have the 3 seperate download files from the page pinned on the top of the GTA LC thread. Someone help me please.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:26 AM Edited by Ben, 21 August 2006 - 07:33 AM.

QUOTE (offthewall @ Aug 21 2006, 06:41)
I tried the Beta2 V5 launcher again, and miraculously I didn't give me any errors, but I cant use V5 with my save file, or the file that  I downloaded. Then I tried Beta2 V6 again, and everything works fine in that except, the audtext.exe and audtext.dpr. I still get perfect audio in that version except the radio stations, I dont even know what audtext.exe does but it works fine without it.
But now I want to try Beta2 V7 but I cant get that thing to play at all. I looked up SFX.raw and the other SFX file and the read only box wasn't checked. I think it's because I didnt install V7 right. Could someone tell me how to install it? I have the 3 seperate download files from the page pinned on the top of the GTA LC thread. Someone help me please.

Alrighty, I'll see what I can do to help you out. The installation of v7test is a pretty complicated process, so I'll go through it step-by-step for you. The easiest thing to do would be to start from scratch I think, so the first thing I want you to do is to delete your LC folder.

Ok, now you'll need to make a copy of VC folder, and name the copy LC - this ensures that you can still play VC as well as LC. Next, you need to extract the 2.7t rar archive into your new LC folder, choosing Yes To All to overwrite relevant files. Then, you need to do the same with the 2.7t update rar file - extract it into your LC folder, choosing Yes To All to overwrite relevant files. After this, you must delete the IIItoVC_VC6.asi file (you should still have IIItoVC.asi though) - this file is in your main LC folder. Also check to ensure that you have a file in your main LC folder called vcversion.dll - if you don't, you will need to go to the Launcher topic, and download the latest package from the link in the first post, and then put vcversion.dll in your main LC folder. This process gives you the most up-to-date files needed to play LC.

If you have GTA3, you may also like to install the cutscene audio and GTA3 radio stations - to do this, you need to insert your GTA3 play CD, and Explore it. Find the Audio folder, and copy everything in that folder, and paste it into your LC\audioLC folder (not LC\audio). You can now take your GTA3 CD out as you won't need it again for LC.

You should probably also set up the Show Config utility now - to do this, you need to right click in your LC folder and select New -> Shortcut. In the wizard window that pops up, click Browse, and find gta-lc.exe. Click OK, and the path to gta-lc.exe should appear in the box. At the end of the path, after the " you need to type -showconfig - the path should read something like "<your LC directory>\gta-lc.exe" -showconfig.

The next step is the complicated part, and it involves updating the SFX for LC - the SFX is all of the background sounds you hear in-game, such as car engines, weapons, police, etc. The easiest way to do it is to go to your LC\audio folder, and make a new folder called SFX (the path of the folder will therefore be LC\audio\SFX). Move sfx.raw and sfx.sdt from your LC\audio folder into the SFX folder, and then check to ensure that they do not have the Read Only attribute applied - right click on each, and select Properties to check (if the Read Only box is checked, uncheck it and select Apply and then OK). Now, extract the SFX.rar file onto your desktop, and find the Nullpointer's Tool folder. Copy the contents of this folder into your LC\audio\SFX folder, and then run audext.exe - this will extract the SFX files from SFX.raw. Wait until the audext window closes itself - this can take a few minutes. When it has finished, you should now see a series of files that go from sfx00000.wav through to sfx09940.wav. Now, go back to your desktop and find the LC SFX folder. Copy the contents of this folder and paste into your LC\audio\SFX folder, choosing Yes To All to overwrite relevant files. Run Blanks.bat and wait until it closes itself. Now, run audimp.exe - this recompiles sfx.raw and sfx.sdt. Again, wait until the window (the audimp window) closes itself. Find sfx.raw and sfx.sdt and move them into your LC\audio folder (if prompted to Overwrite, choose Yes - this just means that you copied them into the SFX folder originally instead of moving them). You can now delete the SFX folder as well as the files/folders you extracted onto your desktop (from SFX.rar), as you no longer need them.

And that's it - you now have LC installed, and you have updated your SFX accordingly. That should all work if you follow the instructions, but if for some reason it doesn't, post again with clear details of what didn't work and we'll see what can be done to help you out. smile.gif

EDIT - I've linked this post in the Updates topic icon14.gif.

offthewall
  • offthewall

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 August 2006 - 02:49 AM Edited by offthewall, 23 August 2006 - 06:34 AM.

Thanks for you're help cool.gif

But I have a quick question, I don't remeber if you mentioned anything about these files in this picture:

user posted image

I remember you mentioning the first two folders, but what about the rest? confused.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:56 PM

The others are simply for development purposes:
  • LC SFX.xls is an Excel spreadsheet that documents what each of the sfx*****.wav files are
  • default.ide (Vehicles Section).txt is simply the vehicles part of the default.ide file (found in LC\data) - it was included because a while ago a lot of the vehicles had their slots shifted
  • Notes.txt is just some development notes
  • The two train sfx files have been taken directly from GTA3. sfx00467.wav (in the LC SFX folder) is simply those two files combined - we figured it might be easier to make one sound play rather than try and figure out a rhythm for two. But the original two are included because ModelingMan was going to try to convert the train code from the GTA3 EXE and implement it in LC, in which case the two files could be used
So you don't really need to worry about those files smile.gif.

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:22 AM

hello everyone! smile.gif

I finally installed LC (thx Ben for your mini-tutorial) and it works quite good, but I have a couple of questions (I hope no one already askd these):
is normal that in initial enforcer attack cutsene, cars aren't visible? (I think you mean this with "problems with cutscene animation")
...I also think that Joey Leone has a strong headache here, hasn't it?
user posted image
in the first post you written that there aren't motorbikes driving around in Portland... this is due to technical restrictions or it's a team's choice?
and also... will the angel spawn ingame? if not (for evident reasons), I think this is a good opportunity, maybe to add another GTA bike like the fine Gforce's NGR500 conversion for vice or SA Quad... however GTA3 didn't have bikes so where's the problem in replacing an unused (I think) one with another GTA bike? this is not VC, huh? wink.gif
user posted image

the last thing: could you link me a good car spawner that works with LC?
the link in the first post is broken and I can't find one workin' confused.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:01 AM

The opening cutscene problem is normal (as in, it occurs in all versions of LC) - we haven't figured out how to make the cars show up yet.

The problems with the cutscenes cover things like the whacky head animation - that's a result of a "direct" conversion from GTA3 using a tool made by Hammer83. However, as GTA3 and VC use different game engines, cutscenes work differently, and there are some problems.

Motorbikes not appearing in Portland is a team choice, although it may change. I'm not sure exactly what Craig has planned for this - there were a few suggestions a while ago, an there's also the option of considering a setup similar to LCS. We'll see smile.gif.

I don't have any direct links for car spawners compatible with LC, although ModelingMan's trainer will integrate a car spawning function so there will be one available at some stage in the future smile.gif.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

QUOTE (kiwidesign @ Aug 24 2006, 02:22)
in the first post you written that there aren't motorbikes driving around in Portland... this is due to technical restrictions or it's a team's choice?
and also... will the angel spawn ingame? if not (for evident reasons), I think this is a good opportunity, maybe to add another GTA bike like the fine or SA Quad... however GTA3 didn't have bikes so where's the problem in replacing an unused (I think) one with another GTA bike? this is not VC, huh? wink.gif

Craig's argument is that Portland is a sh*tty part of town, so people there don't drive bikes - just like they don't drive sport cars. I think we could at least throw in some Faggios - poor people often drive cheap scooters to work.
We won't be adding any vehicles that aren't either in GTA3 or VC. Any vehicle mods for VC work in LC, so you can put in whatever you want. Plus, I don't think the VC engine can even handle quads.

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Aug 24 2006, 10:09)
Craig's argument is that Portland is a sh*tty part of town, so people there don't drive bikes - just like they don't drive sport cars. I think we could at least throw in some Faggios - poor people often drive cheap scooters to work.

uhm... I thought something like this and I agree with you that a poor bike like the faggio could be found in portland wink.gif

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Aug 24 2006, 10:09)
We won't be adding any vehicles that aren't either in GTA3 or VC. Any vehicle mods for VC work in LC, so you can put in whatever you want...

ok icon14.gif, anyway you know if Angel will spawn ingame? thx smile.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Aug 24 2006, 09:01)
The problems with the cutscenes cover things like the whacky head animation - that's a result of a "direct" conversion from GTA3 using a tool made by Hammer83.  However, as GTA3 and VC use different game engines, cutscenes work differently, and there are some problems.

The engine (Renderware) really has nothing to do with it. By default VC uses skeletal animations for characters (At some point in it's development III also used skeletal animations, R* left a few of them in III's Ped.IFP). To me it looks like R* used the same, if not similar, plugin(s) for animations, therefore if you directly copied one of III's animations and loaded it into VC (not as a character animation) along with a III character it will play as it did in III. So, why not just copy every animation over...? You could, but VC obviously uses more animations than III (bikes, choppers, etc.), and I'm guessing very few folk, or none at all would be willing to recreate 100-200 animations to work with the III character structure. Sure someone can make a conversion program which does the opposite of Hammer's program, but that will possibly make the bike, chopper, etc. animations look terrible.

Characters and animations, in my opinion, are the toughest aspect of this mod, which is why no-one is currently working on it. To pull off a decent conversion will take alot of work, and at this stage I honestly don't think it will be completed.

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:45 PM

I think that, if this isn't impossible for technical problems, III curtscene animations should work good for the mod... aren't the cutscenes character different models from the normal ones?

anyway converted models have some problems also out of cuscenes, above all with joints confused.gif

ogrish
  • ogrish

gangsta

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:00 PM

how do u get the audio files in gta3 to the LC mod.
i have the GTA3 CD and i use the beta2 v6

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 25 August 2006 - 01:22 AM Edited by ModelingMan, 25 August 2006 - 01:29 AM.

While I was comparing the most recent released IIItoVC ASI with a recent build I noticed there were major differences, I'm not even sure if the ASI everyone is currently using was the most recent build at the time it was released publicly (Some code I took out long ago still exists). So here's the latest build (untested) of IIItoVC. I hope it works, if not I'll do a complete re-code of the ASI.

From now on I'll be keeping the source code of each release instead of overwriting, I should have been doing that anyway.

Edit: Also if you open gta-lc.ini, go to the "[Misc]" section and change the value of DisableScrollObj from 1 to 0 you'll be able to see the nice scroll bars throughout the game.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 August 2006 - 06:52 AM

@ogrish - Put your GTA3 CD in and explore it. Go to the Audio folder and copy everything. Paste the files into your audioLC folder and everything should be dandy smile.gif.

@MM - Hopefully that will fix the pager issue. I know it's a lot of work and a pain in the a*se, but re-coding it mightn't be a bad idea - it would at least form the framework for future updates. It depends though - you're the expert, not me, so it's your call. If this version works, then maybe you won't have to at all smile.gif.

By the way, have you figured out the static bars (with the temperature) yet?

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Aug 25 2006, 07:52)
@MM - Hopefully that will fix the pager issue.  I know it's a lot of work and a pain in the a*se, but re-coding it mightn't be a bad idea - it would at least form the framework for future updates.  It depends though - you're the expert, not me, so it's your call.  If this version works, then maybe you won't have to at all smile.gif.

I'm not sure exactly what is causing the crach to occur. It has never crashed once on either of the different versions of VC I have tested it on.

QUOTE (A crash report posted by marr0w)
Exception at address: 0x00551E0D
EXE Version:          gta-vc.exe 1.0 US
Last opcode executed: 0001 wait
In thread:            noname

Registers -----------------------------------------------------
EAX: 0x00005822 EBX: 0x00000000 ECX: 0x00000000 EDX: 0x002D000F
ESI: 0x0070940C EDI: 0x0012F290 EBP: 0x00000000 ESP: 0x0012F094
EFLAGS: 10000001010010110

This crash has something to do with the font drawing. My guess is that it's caused by calling CFont::DrawFonts through the pager drawing function. The value in the EDX register (0x002D000F) is used as an index to retrieve the width of a specifc character in a string (from what I can remember), but because that value is too high the game attempts to read from an invalid or non-readable address resulting in an "Access Violation". I have no clue as to why this is happening, I'll need to trace where the invalid value is coming from. An older version of IIItoVC which fully worked (the one Konstantinos refers to) doesn't have the pager font, nor does it call CFont::DrawFonts, which leads me to the conclusion that it is pager font functionality that is causing the problem, but why the crash is only occurring on certain folk's PC, I have no idea.

Re-coding the ASI would be no problem, I've actually designed a couple of systems which will make it easier to add any future features to the ASI, plus it'll tidy up the messy code. tounge.gif

As for the static bars, I could probably just modify the scroll bar code so that it removes the scrolling effect.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Aug 26 2006, 00:26)
QUOTE (Ben @ Aug 25 2006, 07:52)
@MM - Hopefully that will fix the pager issue. I know it's a lot of work and a pain in the a*se, but re-coding it mightn't be a bad idea - it would at least form the framework for future updates. It depends though - you're the expert, not me, so it's your call. If this version works, then maybe you won't have to at all smile.gif.

I'm not sure exactly what is causing the crach to occur. It has never crashed once on either of the different versions of VC I have tested it on.

QUOTE (A crash report posted by marr0w)
Exception at address: 0x00551E0D
EXE Version: gta-vc.exe 1.0 US
Last opcode executed: 0001 wait
In thread: noname

Registers -----------------------------------------------------
EAX: 0x00005822 EBX: 0x00000000 ECX: 0x00000000 EDX: 0x002D000F
ESI: 0x0070940C EDI: 0x0012F290 EBP: 0x00000000 ESP: 0x0012F094
EFLAGS: 10000001010010110

This crash has something to do with the font drawing. My guess is that it's caused by calling CFont::DrawFonts through the pager drawing function. The value in the EDX register (0x002D000F) is used as an index to retrieve the width of a specifc character in a string (from what I can remember), but because that value is too high the game attempts to read from an invalid or non-readable address resulting in an "Access Violation". I have no clue as to why this is happening, I'll need to trace where the invalid value is coming from. An older version of IIItoVC which fully worked (the one Konstantinos refers to) doesn't have the pager font, nor does it call CFont::DrawFonts, which leads me to the conclusion that it is pager font functionality that is causing the problem, but why the crash is only occurring on certain folk's PC, I have no idea.

Re-coding the ASI would be no problem, I've actually designed a couple of systems which will make it easier to add any future features to the ASI, plus it'll tidy up the messy code. tounge.gif

As for the static bars, I could probably just modify the scroll bar code so that it removes the scrolling effect.

Ah ok, fair enough. As far as I was aware, the ASI worked for me, although I'm not sure I ever played with the most up-to-date version confused.gif. I'll be reinstalling sometime this week though, so I'll give it (and the newest one) a go then icon14.gif.

With the static bars, I still think the best idea for the temperature (seeing as VC didn't have a similar function) is to "fake it" through information in timecyc.dat. Actually, this function found by AK-73 could also be useful because it details how weather is scripted in the EXE. Either way, I look forward to seeing what you come up with smile.gif.

ogrish
  • ogrish

gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:03 AM

i did that and the dodo sounds like an rc baron

fuckindumass
  • fuckindumass

Pissing the night away

• Members

Posted 26 August 2006 - 07:34 AM

QUOTE (ogrish @ Aug 24 2006, 16:00)

Uh, if you're not talking about radio stations or cutscene audio then you really need to read the 'readme' that came in the download archive.

ogrish
  • ogrish

gangsta

• Members

Posted 26 August 2006 - 08:15 AM

QUOTE (f*ckindumass @ Aug 26 2006, 00:34)
QUOTE (ogrish @ Aug 24 2006, 16:00)

Uh, if you're not talking about radio stations or cutscene audio then you really need to read the 'readme' that came in the download archive.

yeah i meant the cutscene audio and radio station

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE (ogrish @ Aug 26 2006, 16:03)
i did that and the dodo sounds like an rc baron

The actual SFX sounds are exactly the same. The way the EXE plays them, however, is different - we haven't yet converted that over from III to LC, and I don't know if it is even possible. I know installing the SFX is complicated, so if you can't figure it out, it's best if you don't install it. There's a rough guide to installing it on the previous page of this thread, and although it relates to v7test (and not v6), the process is mostly the same for the SFX.

As for getting the cutscene audio and radio stations - that's exactly what getting the audio off your GTA3 CD does for you wink.gif.

morlander
  • morlander

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:43 PM

i have been playing san andreas so much i got interested and i got somevice city cd images that i was running with deamon tools
found this awsome mod for gta3 and decided to hook it up my installation went very well following the forum instructions but it asks me for my vice city cd when i run the game now i use a no cd crack to play vice city normally is there a way to direct LC to use my cd image running in daemon tools? or any way to help me enjoy gta 3 in the VC engine this mod looks amazing
please help Morlander
Morlander @insightbb.com

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 August 2006 - 11:34 PM Edited by Ben, 28 August 2006 - 06:44 AM.

GTA:LC and the GTA:LC team does not support cracks.
If you want to play GTA:LC you'll have to use the CD or go buy it from wallmart for 10 bucks if you dont have it.

EDIT by Ben - Actually, GTAF in general does not support the use of warez of any kind. It's against the board rules anuj_cop.gif.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users