FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
344 replies to this topic
Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

Ok, I've updated the first post with the car spawner question and I've been through the rest of the topic - it's all up-to-date now.

But, I have a question - well, it's more of a suggestion. With the car spawner question, you'll see that I've included that the LC team may look into developing one after the public release of v6 (I've added that to the end of the trainer question as well - it's above the car spawner one).

I think that this would be a good idea if we could develop an LC specific trainer and car launcher, and include them as part of the official version with an installer option to install them if so desired. A few people have asked about them, so I don't see why there isn't enough interest to include them if it can be done - personally, I won't be using them, but I think it would be beneficial to have them included.

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:37 PM

I really like those ideas ben, the VC trainer took too long to install and i dont have it installed to that (you know, im lazy). I also love the idea of a car spawner tool too. i know a few people who have those skills for the trainer. umm... yeah i do, really! the car crusher was annoying to install and i dont have it installed because i had to reinstall LC. but i did install subway (thanks choof inlove.gif ) but yeah...

Matthew the modder
  • Matthew the modder

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:21 AM

Hi um I don't now if this has been asked (i'm lazy and won't look thrue the pages) but i'm just wondering took me awile too get it working and now i'm playing it but the first cut seen on the brige the guy hoo has nothing to do with you is ken rosenberg the 8-ball in the pen outfit is police lance and were you get the first mission the guy hoo talkes to you is normal but the guy next to him is a love fist member I read somewere that not all the peds had got converted but I thought mission peds would all get converted before any regelure peds would but its probly I messed up i'm fine with the peds problem just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem and new how to fix it P.S. once 8-ball changed close he was normal P.S. again my name is stupid I know. sorry for long long post.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Matthew the modder @ Feb 5 2006, 07:21)
I read somewere that not all the peds had got converted but I thought mission peds would all get converted before any regelure peds would but its probly I messed up i'm fine with the peds problem just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem and new how to fix it

Yup...

QUOTE (Bugs glitches and incompletes)
-Many peds are either unfinished conversions or temp actors from Vice City

But you can install the v6 test package, it has a great deal of new converted peds - including 8-Ball in prison suit, Mick from Sex Club7, and many more. It's also perfectly playable.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

Pretty soon, after I finish with changing the menu to look more like GTAIII, I'll be looking into animations and finding out if it is possible to just simply transfer the animations and pedestrian models from GTAIII without the need to convert them. Can't say if it's possible just yet since I know next to nothing about the animation format of both GTAs, and if the GTAIII animations are compatible with VCs version of RenderWare.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:25 AM

@Matthew the modder - All the relevant questions are in the first post of this topic, to save you looking through every page wink.gif .

@MM - This was discussed a while ago, and my (very limited wink.gif !) understanding of it is that the GTA3 models in cutscenes were in two main parts - the body and the head (that's how they controlled the head animation). However, in VC, the actors were all as one, with a skeletal structure - Hammer's program to convert the cutscenes over has to convert between the different formats, and while it isn't perfect, it's still pretty good considering the difficulty involved. Obviously, the actors can be manually touched up, but the animation is still a bit more trouble, although mostly do-able, except for the mouths (actually, it is possible, but it would take ages).

With the cutscenes, the main problem stems from a file type in GTA3's cuts.img not being compatible with VC's (I think).

As for the peds, I really wouldn't have a clue. But, best of luck with it - if you can get it working, it would be very much appreciated (not just by players like me, but also by the ped/actor converters I'd imagine smile.gif !). Keep up the good work - the menu is coming along nicely too. icon14.gif cookie.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 06 February 2006 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ Feb 6 2006, 06:25)
With the cutscenes, the main problem stems from a file type in GTA3's cuts.img not being compatible with VC's (I think).

You mean the ANM files? Well I think, unless someone can correct me otherwise, those files are compressed data. Maybe the function "CAnimManager::UncompressAnimation" might have something to do with it? Maybe I'm wrong since I haven't looked into the animation functions much yet.

As for the peds, I really wouldn't have a clue.

In order for the peds to work the animations also have to work too. But what I find interesting is that a function called "CPedModelInfo::SetClump" uses an array of strings which matches the GTAIII model body parts, and this table is then used to fetch the parent and child frames from a given model (or clump rather).

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:49 AM

You lost me... tounge2.gif ! Oh well, at least you know what you're talking about - as for your question, I think it was ifp files, or something like that. I honestly can't remember, but it sounds like you're taking an entire different approach. It might just work icon14.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:19 AM

I was just curious, and I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but will you be able to pick up hookers and get your health to 125 in all versions of LC (even with censored VC versions, like my Aussie one tounge.gif !)? This (if it even exists) shouldn't be a hard problem to remove, and I think it should be done, although it won't have too big of an impact once you finish 100% (with the planned double health/armour).

Hammer83
  • Hammer83

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Feb 6 2006, 02:51)

You mean the ANM files? Well I think, unless someone can correct me otherwise, those files are compressed data. Maybe the function "CAnimManager::UncompressAnimation" might have something to do with it? Maybe I'm wrong since I haven't looked into the animation functions much yet.

As for the peds, I really wouldn't have a clue.

In order for the peds to work the animations also have to work too. But what I find interesting is that a function called "CPedModelInfo::SetClump" uses an array of strings which matches the GTAIII model body parts, and this table is then used to fetch the parent and child frames from a given model (or clump rather).

I looked at ANM files way back when I first started on cutscene convertion. The format is not that much different from ifps in substance. There are time frames and positions of different head elements in each frame. I remember I wrote a program for myself to dump the contents of anm-files in a text format.

The main problem there is the mapping between VC face bones and GTA3 head parts. ANM -> IFP conversion shouldn't be that hard IMHO.

Also when I looked in VC exe I didn't find any functions which support anm format. I'm afraid R* deleted them completely.

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:38 AM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ Mar 4 2006, 22:19)
I was just curious, and I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but will you be able to pick up hookers and get your health to 125 in all versions of LC (even with censored VC versions, like my Aussie one tounge.gif !)?  This (if it even exists) shouldn't be a hard problem to remove, and I think it should be done, although it won't have too big of an impact once you finish 100% (with the planned double health/armour).

With my latest v6 install it works (I think, maybe it wasn't LC at all...). But I haven't been real curios about it back when I had v5, but I'm not sure about the Australian version though. There are alot of Aussies on GTAF so somebody will answer eventually.

But ben, may I ask why you want to remove it? I am almost certain that in GTAIII the health went up like that also when you picked up hookers (which is one of the reasons the aussie version is patched). I'm confused... confused.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:41 AM

My bad - I meant that the patch should be removed for LC so that it will work, even on the Aussie version...if that's even possible? confused.gif

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:52 AM

icon14.gif
Bah, I have no idea what you are talking about (just like always). Are you saying that you NEED to have the patch removed for LC to work? Can you remove the patch from the Aussie version? I thought it was more of and .exe fix.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:39 AM

My bad...again suicidal.gif biggrin.gif ! Ok, what I meant was this:

You know how you can pick up hookers in GTA3, except in censored versions (eg - the Aussie one, but this can be overcome by changing your regional settings to say you live in the US wink.gif !)? Ok, well, what I was wondering was if you can pick up hookers on all versions of LC, even the ones with censored VC exes (eg - like the Aussie one)?

So, if there's a problem with this (as in, it doesn't work), can it be removed so that in every version of LC, you can pick up hookers and get your health up to 125 (which is insignificant after 100% anyway, since we're going to reward you with double health). That makes more sense than the other two posts, but it's what I originally meant tounge.gif .

Sorry for the confusion suicidal.gif .

JDesigns_Unlimited
  • JDesigns_Unlimited

Firestarter

• Members

Posted 02 June 2006 - 08:02 AM

I have a question or two....
I cannot seem to put in any Vice City car mods... I used the VCMM and the ol' fashion GTAIII IMG.... nothing worked. So in other words you guyz made this one tough cookie to crack.

I noticed on the first page you said only one Vice City Cheat works... I got a few....

Spawning a Sabre Turbo will drop a Gang Stallion
The flying car cheat works too... So in other words most of the cheats do work. so unless I missed a post that pointed that out I thought I'd drop a line.

I found a few bugs too I'm sure has already been posted but here goes....

Maverick does not fly right, lifts right up and smacks the ground upside down.

The Clipped Dodo has a top speed of 13mph LMFAO I cannot even get it off the ground.

Other than that I only played it for 30 mins and found that much, it's f*cking awesome although I mislead myself thinkin that the two game maps (LC & VC) were connected and able to explore both games in one. still IT'S THE sh*t!!

Marshall300
  • Marshall300

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (JDesigns_Unlimited @ Jun 2 2006, 08:02)

The Clipped Dodo has a top speed of 13mph LMFAO I cannot even get it off the ground.

The same here! Maybe that will be fixed after reaching the 3rd island...

About the cars, try to add them manually...and btw is there a limited number of cars i can add? I can only add about 10-12 cars and then spawning every car i add next makes the game crash...why is it so?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 02 June 2006 - 06:03 PM

There's probably too much customized in VCMM for it to work with our altered files. I'd have to look into to see if it's possible to use that program. Adding cars manually is done the exact same way you'd do it in Vice though.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 02 June 2006 - 10:44 PM

QUOTE (JDesigns_Unlimited @ Jun 2 2006, 18:02)
I cannot seem to put in any Vice City car mods... I used the VCMM and the ol' fashion GTAIII IMG.... nothing worked. So in other words you guyz made this one tough cookie to crack.

As far as I was aware, VCMM was no longer supported. And using it with LC v6 wouldn't work either I'd imagine as the IMG names have all changed. Installing mods generally isn't too difficult anyway - good ones normally have a readme, and if someone from here makes it, you can contact them via PM icon14.gif . And if that isn't the case, someone else will be able to help you smile.gif .

I noticed on the first page you said only one Vice City Cheat works... I got a few....

Spawning a Sabre Turbo will drop a Gang Stallion
The flying car cheat works too... So in other words most of the cheats do work. so unless I missed a post that pointed that out I thought I'd drop a line.

Read the first post again - it says "Currently only Vice City cheats will work with GTA:LC" confused.gif . It falls under the section of what still needs to be done, and is alluding to the fact that GTA3 cheats won't work (but out goal is to have working GTA3 cheats in LC).

I found a few bugs too I'm sure has already been posted but here goes....

Actually, I've never seen reports of either of those bugs, and have never experienced them myself. You're going to have to be more descriptive about the Maverick one - how can it lift up and hit the ground? dontgetit.gif

The only two bugs related to the Dodo are that it's SFX is incorrect (this looks like being a toughie to fix), and that it's handling doesn't match the GTA3 Dodo (it handles like the RC Baron planes because that's the VC vehicle it replaced - check out the first post of the Vehicles topic for a full list of replacements). In fact, it's easier to fly than the GTA3 one - I've never had any problems with it, and no-one else has reported any either confused.gif .

It's just that I find it strange that you seem to be getting these bugs whilst no-one else does - are you using the v5b or v6test, or an older version?

Marshall300
  • Marshall300

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 June 2006 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 2 2006, 22:44)
It's just that I find it strange that you seem to be getting these bugs whilst no-one else does - are you using the v5b or v6test, or an older version?

I have the same bugs...And why i cant add more than 10-12 mod cars?

LCSurvivor
  • LCSurvivor

X

• Members

Posted 03 June 2006 - 07:46 PM

I have that sometimes, but I always got it while playing with cars fly cheat on. Maybe you where trying to fly the aircraft with the cheat on?

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:30 PM

I did encounter the 'freezing installer'-problem. In my case it could be solved by deactivating my antivirus software temporarily (it most probably scanned the partially-extracted archive over and over, causing the installer to stop extracting). I can't verify that (since I don't have another problematic PC nearby). Could be worth a try however.

You could also update the first post to reflect that ALL versions of gta-vc.exe, even the German one, are finally supported. I verified this 4 minutes ago with my German executable. tounge.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 05 June 2006 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for that info SteaVor. icon14.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:41 AM

But you didn't update the first post Craig angry.gif !

tounge.gif

Not to worry - I've done it icon14.gif . But a lot of the info in that post will probably be out of date or not applicable to v6test. I've written the foundations for a new FAQ to be posted after the release of v7, and I've added the AV info. I've also updated the Readme to include that as well wink.gif .

Thanks smile.gif .

Dwayne Phoenix
  • Dwayne Phoenix

has managed to avoid drowning!

• Members

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:42 PM Edited by Dwayne Pheonix, 05 June 2006 - 06:43 PM.

QUOTE (Ben @ Oct 30 2005, 01:56)
My game claims there is no CD even though Vice City is already in the drive, how do I fix this?First click on the "Show Config" shortcut. Then click on the Advanced button. This gets you into the launcher's interface. Once there, click on the Audio tab. In the Audio section you will find a button that says "Verify paths" Click that. If you have this problem, then you will most likely see this error message:
Error
.\Audio\Wild.ADF is not found!

Now what you have to do is go into your Audio folder and look for the WILD.ADF file. It's probably not there. Open up your Vice City play disc and copy that file over to your audio folder. The radio stations must be on your hard drive for this mod to work. Once that's done, click on the Verify paths button again. Now it will probably say:
Error
.\Audio\FLASH.ADF is not found!

Repeat the previous step but make sure you copy the FLASH.adf file over. Keep repeating this process until the Verify paths buttons says:
All files valid.

If the Verify paths button says all files are valid and you're still getting that error message, let me know and we'll try to find out what's wrong.

It says there's no CD in my drive even though there is, yet I cannot use this method to fix it, as the method mentioned earlier to create a shortcut for "Show Config" wouldn't work..
sad.gif

Please tell me how I get this "Show Config" shortcut!

My LC directory is located in "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Liberty City", so this should help you tell me where to make the shortcut for.
smile.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

Oops, slight error on my part blush.gif . If you followed the method outlined in the first post exactly (as I just did), it won't work - it's because the "s were in the wrong place. It originally said:
QUOTE (Old First Post)
Make the directory "C:\<your LC directory>\gta-lc.exe -showconfig"

I've fixed it, so it now says:
QUOTE (New First Post)
Make the directory "C:\<your LC directory>\gta-lc.exe" -showconfig

If you follow the instructions again as they appear now, it should work - right click and select New -> Shortcut. Click Browse in the window that appears, and find your LC directory. Click on gta-lc.exe and select OK. In the path, it will now say (in your case) "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Liberty City\gta-lc.exe". Now, after that, simply type -showconfig and it will look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Liberty City\gta-lc.exe" -showconfig and it should work icon14.gif .

Any more problems, just let me know - I've tried that though, and it worked for me smile.gif .

Dwayne Phoenix
  • Dwayne Phoenix

• Members

Posted 06 June 2006 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 5 2006, 22:29)
Right click and select New -> Shortcut.  Click Browse in the window that appears, and find your LC directory.  Click on gta-lc.exe and select OK.  In the path, it will now say (in your case) "C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Liberty City\gta-lc.exe".  Now, after that, simply type -showconfig and it will look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Liberty City\gta-lc.exe" -showconfig and it should work icon14.gif .

Nope, even with the -showconfig after the quotation marks, it now just makes a shortut to the GTA LC Game..
suicidal.gif

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

Right click and select New -> Shortcut. Copy this line and paste it there:

"C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto Liberty City\gta-lc.exe" -showconfig

This link HAS to work because there should be NO versions of gta-lc.exe without that configuration dialog besides Beta1 maybe . If that doesn't work either, double-check the path you installed LC to OR right-click on gta-lc.exe, hold the button, drag the symbol wherever you want it to be, release the RMB and choose 'Shortcut' (of course). You should now see a shortcut to gta-lc.exe. You right-click on this newly-created shortcut and add -showconfig after the quotation marks. You have to add this to the 'Target' field (the topmost one), not to any field below! Good luck!

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:54 PM

Alternately, you can also get into the config by altering your gta-lc.ini file. Open that up in Notepad and look at the first few lines. It should look like this:
CODE
[Exe]
Path=.\gta-vc.exe
Version=10
ChangeTaskBar=1
LangRus=0

If you add this line after the LangRus (or ChangeTaskBar depending on what's last in that section) you will go into the config the next time you load up the gta-lc.exe file.
CODE
[Exe]
Path=.\gta-vc.exe
Version=10
ChangeTaskBar=1
LangRus=0
showconfig=1

Dwayne Phoenix
  • Dwayne Phoenix

• Members

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:16 PM Edited by Dwayne Pheonix, 06 June 2006 - 07:20 PM.

The installer won't work for me - can I mod VC manually?
-Run the installer until it freezes
-Click "Start", "Run" and type %temp% - then press Enter
-In a folder beginning with pdk-, there should be a file named "gtalc_setup.7z". Copy this file to some other place on your hard drive
-Close the installer using Ctrl+Alt+Del -> "End Task". The original gtalc_setup.7z will be deleted
-Open gtalc_setup.7z in the new location using WinRAR or similar decompression software, or use 7-Zip
-The files that you will see are essentially the files that are copied across in the installation process. ***

Note that by installing in this manner, you will not have the Show Config utility added to your LC directory.  To get it, right click in your LC directory and select New -> Shortcut.  Make the target location "C:\<your LC directory>\gta-lc.exe" -showconfig.

*** The manual installation guide came to an adrupt end here, so I used my common sense and copy & pasted the extracted files into my Liberty City folder (I copy & pasted the Vice City directory into the Rockstar games folder and renamed it).

Is this what I'm supposed to do..?
If so, you should really make this part of the FAQ clearer..

Dwayne Phoenix
  • Dwayne Phoenix

• Members

Posted 06 June 2006 - 08:59 PM

I"m not getting a WILD.ADF error message but a "HEAD.wav not found" error message.  I don't have GTA3, what should I do? If that's the case, click on the Restore button right underneath the New path text box for each file that's a problem. Repeat until all files are valid - this will revert back to the VC radio stations, NOT the GTA3 ones.
If you don't want VC radio stations, then you can simply make blank .wav files for each of your GTA3 radio stations and put them in the audioLC folder (Right click in that folder, and select New -> Wave Sound.  Repeat this 7 times.

When I right click and select New, "Wave Sound" isn't there.
Is there another way to do this? whatsthat.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users