Photo

PEDs/Actors/Animations

231 replies to this topic
Shadow-Link
  • Shadow-Link

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 May 2010 - 06:55 AM

Can't wait to see some progress of this MM! Good luck.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:35 AM Edited by ModelingMan, 05 June 2010 - 08:15 PM.

After much work I've come to the conclusion that it's far too much work to make VC compatible with III ped models. Instead I've been trying to tweak my current automation process. Here's a package containing all peds converted automatically; I've noticed a few have got glitches, whether that's to do with animations or the models themselves (which is more likely) I'm unsure yet. Quite a handful of the models actually look pretty good, I'm quite surprised to be honest.

There's a few more things which will need to be done to make these models fully usable; translating the position of the foot bones so that the ped's feet doesn't go through the ground, translate the finger bones so that weapons are are placed properly onto the ped's hands and converting all animations from III (getting rid of the clavicle and neck parts of the animations).

So have a test at those peds and let me know what you think.

user posted image

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:26 AM

Great! I was kind of expecting that the fully automated process wouldn't work, so that doesn't disappoint me. I'm glad to see that the remaining peds have gotten at least a rough conversion. I'll include those in the 3.1 Beta when I get time in the next few days.

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

• The Yardies

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:40 PM Edited by frank.s, 27 May 2010 - 07:25 PM.

I don't understand why the lc team has put so much work into converting gtaiii's blocky segmented peds.
Why haven't you simply rigged the skeletal gtaiii peds from the xbox? Its a win-win situation, no weird bugs and some better quality.

Edit: Yeah they will have to be re-rigged to work, i can supply any xbox files if you want them and if no team member has them.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

I wasn't aware the XBox version had a skeletal system. I'm assuming they're not directly compatible with the VC engine on the PC though. So if we could figure it out and it's easy then yes, that would be the way to go. However, if it's not that easy, then we'll probably stick with what we have. I also don't know if any team members has access to those files. I know my time is running out that I can dedicate to this mod again (about 6 more weeks at most) so I don't want to push the final release beyond that.

I'm open to the idea though.

Quick question for ModelingMan before I update the peds in the game. Should I replace all of the peds with the ones you've just provided or only the unconverted ones? I'll be backing up all of the old ones anyway, so it doesn't really matter I suppose.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:39 PM

As I said, there are a few peds which have some glitches, I haven't listed them yet though. Also some of these automated peds actually look better than the current ones; manually rigging the III peds can have undesirable effects like disrupting the normals or deforming the original shape of the ped. So to answer your question, it's really up to yourself. I know you don't have much time on your hands to test them out so for now I'll say these peds are at beta stage until I solve what went wrong with some of them and fix them.

As for the XBOX version, yes it does have skeletal models. And you're right in saying they aren't directly compatible with VC. The geometry data in the DFFs is native to the XBOX, but luckily the XBOX has a subset of the D3D8 API, therefore not making it particularly difficult to convert the geometry to the generic DFF format for use on the PC. Someone already made an importer for 3dsmax I believe (think it might've been AK-73), but that would involve having to rig the models again. Automation is the more favourable approach and it does seem possible.

It's funny that this discussion about the XBOX version was brought up, I had borrowed the GTA trilogy from a friend last weekend and was going to try and convert the models as an unofficial mod for LC, but if they can be used officially that'd be great and as frank.s said they are of higher quality.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 28 May 2010 - 01:33 AM Edited by Craig Kostelecky, 28 May 2010 - 04:02 AM.

These files were included in your archive that did not exist in the LC image. Is there a reason they weren't there before? And should they still be left out?
CODE
butler
col3
cop2
darkel
goon
novy
plaster (only txd)
stu_man

EDIT: I just played a bit (enough to see each boss at least once) and I'm impressed. They look good. Great work!

I will try to upload Beta 3.1 soon so everybody can test these peds easily.Beta 3.1 is up.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 28 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Since they're unused it's probably better to leave them out. I didn't bother to delete any unused peds.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

Here's the first one I've noticed, although it may be an issue with animation.
user posted image

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ May 28 2010, 19:37)
Here's the first one I've noticed, although it may be an issue with animation.
user posted image

Yeah. The funny thing is, it seems to be female peds suffering from the most problems. I've only seen one male ped (one of the worker guys with the grey jumpsuit) with a problem; his arms are on the inside of his torso.

I'm still unsure as to why this is happening; possibly something to do with how the matrices of each bone is updated, but if that was the case all the models would have problems. I'll convert some III animations (specifically the female ones) and see if it's anything to do with that.

Dylan2112
  • Dylan2112

I'm quite aware; my screen name SUCKS...

• Members

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:12 PM

Judging by the pic,
Using the XBOX peds is a good idea...lol.gif

Natedogg.
  • Natedogg.

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

Is there any way to bring the GTA3 Ped dialogue over to the LC Mod? I already have the audio folder copied in and the VC audio is completely cut yet it still plays ped lines from Vice.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:46 AM

Did you install the separate SFX download? That has most, if not all of the GTA3 ped dialog converted.

In the final release, this step will be done automatically.

Natedogg.
  • Natedogg.

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:15 AM Edited by Natedogg., 11 June 2010 - 05:18 AM.

Yep done it already but for some odd reason it's playing VC ped dialogue and all VC audio files are removed, maybe something from the 3.1 update?

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 11 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

I haven't tried integrating the SFX into my game yet, and I almost always play with the sound off (to not wake up my son who naps in the same room). So I don't know whether it works or not. Can someone else verify this, or help Nate get it working?

Natedogg.
  • Natedogg.

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Jun 11 2010, 12:54)
I haven't tried integrating the SFX into my game yet, and I almost always play with the sound off (to not wake up my son who naps in the same room). So I don't know whether it works or not. Can someone else verify this, or help Nate get it working?

Nope still plays and Claude also makes Tommy's one liners every once in awhile as well. Hopefully there is a simple solution because it seems so minor yet it's complicated enough to make me keep thinking.

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

Some crazy stuff on that internet!

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 June 2010 - 02:49 AM

QUOTE (Natedogg. @ Jun 11 2010, 10:16)
QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Jun 11 2010, 12:54)

Nope still plays and Claude also makes Tommy's one liners every once in awhile as well. Hopefully there is a simple solution because it seems so minor yet it's complicated enough to make me keep thinking.

I vaguely remember how to do it from the now unused instructions:

1.) In the 'Extract Me!' folder, there is another folder named 'Nullpointer's GTA3-VC Sound Tools'. Go into it.

2.) Copy 'sfx.RAW', and 'sfx.SDT' (from your GTA: VC 'Audio' folder) and paste it there. Overwrite if asked.

3.) Click 'audext.exe' and it will export all the sound effects.

4.) Now copy everything from the 'LC SFX' folder (located in the aforementioned 'Extract Me!' folder), and paste it in the also aforementioned 'Nullpointer's GTA3-VC Sound Tools' folder.

5.) Click 'audimp.exe' and watch it pack everything tightly into 'sfx.RAW', and 'sfx.SDT'.

6.) Copy those two files into the 'Audio' folder on your GTA: LC main install. Overwrite if asked.

7.) If everything went well, you should be enjoying the pedestrian dialogue in all its mediocrity.

Natedogg.
  • Natedogg.

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

Well as I was doing it and I tried launching audext.exe it crashes everytime I open it. Also tried changing compatibility settings but no avail, hopefully the installer itself for LC mod will work better than manually doing it.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

We will probably offer a separate download which had the sfx already done on the future.

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:15 AM Edited by silver007, 07 October 2010 - 06:47 AM.

Felt bad that Craig (I believe) stuck his neck out for me to get me unbanned, then I just disappeared. Now that I had some free time on my hands and a new awesome computer, I've gone ahead and started to fix some of the Peds that have errors with them.
Originally I was working on a few, but ModelingMan was close to an automated process, now that I see he's done that, but yet they still need fixing, Ill try and see what I can do.

http://matt3d.exofir..._07-10-2010.rar

Specific Details are in the Read-me, but heres 4 models that I've fixed so far (screenshots are of the non-fixed models)
Micky, female03, worker1, and li_wom2.

If there are any other peds off the top of your head that needs fixing, tell me, meanwhile I'll be driving around town to see who needs fixing.

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:41 AM

Heres the rest of the batch that I was working on

http://matt3d.exofir..._08-10-2010.rar

6 altogether, b_wom1, cas_wom, female01, female02, mod_wom, and shopper1,
As MM said earlier in this topic, it appears to be all the female peds. However MM did say that manually rigging (which is what I did) can have undesirable effects. I have rigged some of the models to deform around the waste, but it doesn't deform the overall volume of mesh. personally I think they look better than the individual chucks of geometry that move independently.
However if we prefer to go more GTA3 authentic, and/or MM finds a way of fixing his automation process, its no big deal, didn't spend a whole lot of time rigging these peds.

ukkitun
  • ukkitun

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hi, can i repair my car in my own garage wheni am on a mission? how can i do this??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users