Photo

PEDs/Actors/Animations

231 replies to this topic
AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:29 PM

I am short of releasing GTA:MA. Now all that needs to be done for v0.9 is to implement special hit animations and to fix this little blending problem.

Maybe MM or someone else can help me with that. I have converted all major fighting animations already, yet there is a problem arising with that: the game tries to blend the animations with (I think) the FIGHTIDLE animation. That is especially obvious with the FIGHTpunch animation which is normally a straight, long punch to the head. Due to the blending it looks like a hooked, short punch to the belly.

Now I think I have found a workaround to the problem already - there is a proc @401770 (I think), that takes a float as a parameter. If I pass 0.0f, it appears as if no blending is taking place. Can anyone confirm that?

Also if somebody has any other info wrt blending I would like to hear about it. For example, I have been asked recently to include a walking while aiming animation recently. How would I go about that? I mean, what I would have to do is to set-off the firing animation as soon as a firearm is selected and halt the animation as it enters the firing cycle. But then I would also have to blend the sub-hierarchy spine1 upwards with the running animation or perhaps even override it. Anybody got an idea how to do that? (An animation can be frozen by setting the "01" flag, I know that much, the game does that with the running punch.... hmmm maybe that's an example I should study...). Anyway, if any of you has some insight into that, that they can post without burdening themselves too much with it, I'd like to hear it. smile.gif

Alex

PS Yeah, that means that your being able to fistfight with Claude as in GTA3 is also just a week or two away (if nothing gets inbetween). smile.gif

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:00 PM

I discovered a glitch in my animation export script which caused the L Forearm Bone's animation to not get exported properly. I might have to reexport all the animations I have done so far. Ben, didn't I send you a list of all the animations I have worked over so far?

If you still have that, please send me. Would save me the trouble of skimming through all the files.

Alex

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:14 PM

Indeed you did - tis in my guide, in this post - it's down near the bottom (of the post) wink.gif .

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

user posted image

This program was built with the RenderWare SDK. Only 1 or 2 of the RW functions needed to achieve this aren't found in VC therefore need to be re-written. When I'm done you should be able to use the opcodes from III (create_cutscene_actor_from_head_and_body and set_head_anim). And as a side note, the ANM files found in CUTS.IMG won't need converting to IFP since one of the RW functions I'm re-writing handles this file type.

Currently I'm also working on getting III character models loaded directly in VC (without modification), at the same time supporting normal VC characters. But of course this will require creation of new animations for bikes, etc. but that's a hell of alot better than the tedious process of converting a ped (I've said this before I think).

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:17 PM

Yep, you have said that before. And it still sounds as good now as it did originally wink.gif .

Getting the head animation into cutscenes will be really good too. It's probably the most reported bug I've seen, and it'll look ten times better once we've got it in-game. icon14.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:12 PM

I'm going to scrap that whole idea. It's far too complex to modify the game to support the III models, it's not something I want to spend a huge amount of time doing...

The heads just don't want to attach either. Well they can attach using either 0524 or 0525 opcodes but that doesn't work in the same manner.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jun 12 2007, 18:12)
I'm going to scrap that whole idea. It's far too complex to modify the game to support the III models, it's not something I want to spend a huge amount of time doing...

The heads just don't want to attach either. Well they can attach using either 0524 or 0525 opcodes but that doesn't work in the same manner.

Do you have trouble attaching stuff to bones?

Did I tell you about the proc that the game uses to attach the cigarette to head-bone? I am dead certain I can bring that to work for *any* geometry. That is I am sure I can attach any geometry (even buildings wink.gif ) to any bone of any actor.

Alex

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

Yeah I can do that with the CEntity functions. Turns out it's just the animation function I patiently rewrote that isn't working; I have stepped through the function countless times, it does exactly as it should, I'm obviously missing something...

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jun 12 2007, 21:11)
Yeah I can do that with the CEntity functions. Turns out it's just the animation function I patiently rewrote that isn't working; I have stepped through the function countless times, it does exactly as it should, I'm obviously missing something...

Not sure if that isn't too advanced for me but if you need someone to have a look at it...

Alex

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jun 13 2007, 04:12)

It doesn't matter if you don't finish it now - it's something that can always be finished at a later stage. It's more something I'd have considered a finishing touch anyway. But it'd be ideal if someone could figure out how to do it - maybe AK will be able to see what you're missing.

smile.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:20 PM

The XBox version of III has got skeleton models with the same frame names as the PC version, on top of that the XBox uses the exact same animations as the PC (even though it uses skeletons); playing the animations from the XBox with a PC dff appears as it should therefore coming to the conclusion that it is probably possible to use III peds, and the extra animations (bikes, choppers, etc.) can be ripped out VC's ped IFP and the frame names altered to match the III model structure.

This is just a theory but if Hammer was able to convert III animations to VC then I'm sure doing the opposite is also possible.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Jun 15 2007, 17:20)
The XBox version of III has got skeleton models with the same frame names as the PC version, on top of that the XBox uses the exact same animations as the PC (even though it uses skeletons); playing the animations from the XBox with a PC dff appears as it should therefore coming to the conclusion that it is probably possible to use III peds, and the extra animations (bikes, choppers, etc.) can be ripped out VC's ped IFP and the frame names altered to match the III model structure.

This is just a theory but if Hammer was able to convert III animations to VC then I'm sure doing the opposite is also possible.

Lol, I have been doing the animation conversion! wink.gif

The problem is that the bones will have a different location and orientation than the GTA3 pivot points. So an automated conversion process seems to be doubtful to me. I have been doing the conversions by hand, that is loading in both GTA3 and LC CLaude, applying an existing GTA3 animation to GTA3 Claude and then rotating the LC bones so that the LC Claude struck the same pose as the GTA3 Claude.

About the XBox version: I'd love to rip the models from it and I would indeed work on hacking that one - but I got no xbox (much less an xbox with hard drive). And it probably is more than a one-man job too... wink.gif If the encoding was cracked, I imagine it would be possible to write an installer/converter that allowed installing of the hi-res models for everyone who was in possession of the xbox files (I'd buy the xbox game for it, even though I don't have the console).

But that is beside the point, I take it. What your discovery means though is that it should be easy to use the xbox animations as the correct animations for animating the converted peds (that is the to-VC-converted peds). If you want to, you can send me the ped.ifp and I'll see if they can be used directly (instead of approximations of the GTA3 animations).

Alex

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:05 PM Edited by ModelingMan, 02 July 2008 - 01:47 AM.

So someone opened a topic over in Editing->Misc. asking for a CJ model for VC. I converted a couple of CJ models over to VC (same way I converted III peds to VC) over 3 years ago and it's not until now I have came up with a better solution for converting SA models. Earlier today I converted the afro head of CJ over to VC without the need to use anything like 3dsMax; just purely by hand using a little program I made and RWAnalyze. After doing this I thought maybe the same thing is possible with III... And it is, with one difference of course; III models aren't skeletal. Therefore, the skeletal data is made up (e.g. Shead vertices of III model are assigned to Head bone of VC model, etc.). Here's a screenshot: (just the head for now, it would've taken me a long time to do the whole model by hand)
user posted image

I'm now able to create a program which could convert III peds to VC with one touch of a button. I can't say just now how good the converted peds will look since I currently don't know the bone matrix format, once that's cracked (or maybe it's already been cracked by someone else?) I think it'd be safe to say that the peds will look fine.

Cutscene head models I'm still unsure of. Do models and animations in cutscenes need to follow a specific structure? (e.g. Pelvis, Spine, Spine1, Neck, Head, etc.)

jp245
  • jp245

Retired Modder

• Members

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:02 AM Edited by jp245, 28 November 2008 - 07:37 PM.

modelingman im not sure about vc cutscene models but if it were sa cutscene models i would help but here look i fixed joeys neck bug lol i can put up a download link if u guys want might do something sweet with this if i got the patience
user posted image
now his neck dosent go through the head lol and its mapped with the right texture
edit-----
btw that mission i was getting from joey in the screen its bugged with me even when i get the armored van it still shows i need to get it with the big arrow on top i even blew it up and still had the arrow

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:10 AM

sorry for bump topic...
can someone reupload new animator package and new player.dff please smile.gif

Flat Face
  • Flat Face

TeamRising will rise and make the inferior our slaves.

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

Can someone send me the yet to be converted peds please... i'll convert em.

Flat Face
  • Flat Face

TeamRising will rise and make the inferior our slaves.

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

Bump? yes bump.

finally bit the bullet and went through all the models that need to be converted and such then opened em all up in max to get ready for converting.

I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN PEOPLE!!!

user posted image

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:10 AM

Thank you, and good luck.

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

Some crazy stuff on that internet!

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:34 PM

I'd apologize for the bump, but then again any activity here is welcome, am I right?

So... how's the converting going, Flat Face? I'm sure you've made quite some progress since then. user posted image

wahgah
  • wahgah

Lost In Postion

• Members

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:17 PM

just a thought but would it be possible to find pedestrians from gta iv and convert them to vice and use them, just with a slight retexture? I know it would be a lot of work but the end result would be a higher quality ped and player even.

Weirdo.
  • Weirdo.

Some crazy stuff on that internet!

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (wahgah @ Apr 11 2010, 11:17)
just a thought but would it be possible to find pedestrians from gta iv and convert them to vice and use them, just with a slight retexture? I know it would be a lot of work but the end result would be a higher quality ped and player even.

Oh my, what a horrid idea. It's much, much, easier to convert III peds to VC. If you want IV peds in GTA: LC then you're on your own.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

Looks like he's been busted. If anybody can get in contact with him outside the forums that would help.

Although ped conversion could be useless if ModelingMan can figure out his automation.

And there's never a problem bumping any category in this forum. Every topic is open game (except the locked ones of course).

And yes, we're going for a GTA III conversion. Any work from IV would be an unofficial add-on.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:28 AM Edited by Craig Kostelecky, 12 April 2010 - 06:24 PM.

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Apr 11 2010, 22:17)
Although ped conversion could be useless if ModelingMan can figure out his automation.

About that, I think I may have posted this screenshot at the time I did it, but this demonstrates the conversion of Claude to VC purely through copying of the original data with a skeleton added. Obviously, rotations are off on certain parts of the body but this is due to me creating the bone matrix based upon the frames of the III model. The solution I've came to is to make a program which loads in III ped models, automates what I did by hand then allow the manual rotation of body parts (or if all the peds have the exact same rotation problems just automate the rotations).

user posted image

Now cutscene actor heads... There's 2 solutions I can think of. Since VC doesn't contain the RenderWare functions for loading and using the .anm format then the solution is to either 1) recreate the neccesary RW functions or 2) convert the .anm to .ifp format. Weighing the pros and cons of both solutions, the first solution would be the most "authentic" in terms of using the same model as the ingame ped but with the cutscene head (attached through the more "authentic" way of using opcodes). With the help of a new plugin for IDA the process of recreating functions from assembly can go a bit quicker (the plugin generates C code from assembly; messy code, but is a better reference to work from than assembly).

Since I'm eager to begin working on this I'll try and spare some time to start it.

Craig's edit: they fixed the img tag, so that's all I changed

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

I see nothing wrong with that image tounge.gif

It looks like you've got the right ideas. I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:19 PM Edited by ModelingMan, 05 June 2010 - 08:14 PM.

Here is my first attempt at automated conversion of peds. Download it here.

user posted image

You will see there are some glitches; well there's two which I can see. The arms are offset slightly, this seems to be to do with the animations, and the feet go through the ground, this is due to the toe bones being at the same position as the feet bones (easy to fix).

With some tweaks, a full conversion should be ready soon.

Edit: It seems someone other than Hammer created the ped.ifp in the current LC files. Using Hammer's tool to convert animations would probably get rid of the arms glitch.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• Members

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:05 AM

I don't think it's the animation that's the problem.
user posted image

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:36 AM

Ah you see that's due to me having to add extra bones. The VC animation data for the clavicle bones will cause the arms to move more than they should. Currently I have the clavicle bones set to the same position and orientation as the upper arm bones which evidently isn't a good idea. I guess I'll need to tweak it.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:57 AM

I really look forward to seeing the results of your work here. Good luck.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:53 AM

Today I've spent a considerable amount of time looking into using III ped models directly whilst still retaining compatibility with original VC peds. It seems very possible and not too complicated. There is alot of code that needs to be overidden but that's to be expected with such a hack.

The way it will work is by loading two ped ifp files (original VC one and a modified III one which has the extra animations necessary (bike, chainsaw, etc.)), then whenever an animation is to be played there will be a check on the model to see which type it is (VC or III) and play the appropriate animation. The extra animations which III doesn't have can be converted automatically.

There is more functionality which needs to be altered in order for this to work. There is a class in GTA called CPedIK which deals with things like aiming a gun, looking behind, etc. The way it does this in VC is by looking for specific bones on a model and applying transformations to them (e.g. "look behind" transforms the upper torso, neck and head). III does the same thing but to each body part. This class' methods in VC must be altered to also be compatible with III models. Again, whenever a CPedIK method is called there will be a check to see which type of model is being processed and the appropriate transformations will be made to the model.

There is probably more functionality which needs to be altered, that will be discovered along the way (when the game crashes that is).

Another thing to note is cutscenes. The original III cutscene .ifp files will be compatible and would of course have to be used if I manage to get all this working properly. Also the .anm files shouldn't be hard to get working also.

I reckon by the end of this week I should have some visible progress, but hopefully I'll get it done sooner.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:52 AM

Good luck James.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users