Photo

PEDs/Actors/Animations

231 replies to this topic
ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Members

Posted 11 February 2007 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Feb 11 2007, 10:29)
Excellent work ceedj icon14.gif icon14.gif It's great that the work on peds can continue.
There's one particular thing I'd like to bring to your attention... Cipriani has a crazy finger that hovers an inch off his body. turn.gif I know there's no point bringing up individual issues with the models, but this one kinda stands out, and shouldn't be too hard to fix.

No no no, this is good. In fact, an updated list would be swell, especially if you can point out little "issues" like that one. Now that I think about, Tony has an issue with his left shoulder not quite being closed (looking at the "paint", there's more weight on this shoulder/upper arm than the right) as well, so I'll muck with this one next.

What program are you using to display the model/texture like that? Looks nifty...

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 11 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

Since work on peds was on hold indefinitely, nobody bothered with reporting specific problems with the models... I'll be glad to help with making a detailed list that would ideally go into the 1st post. If it doesn't matter that I don't know squat about modelling. smile.gif

The program is DFF Viewer by Majestic.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:09 AM

@SteaVor - added the note for you icon14.gif .

@Kon - no problems, feel free to update the entire list for me smile.gif . Quote it to get the BB-code, or you can set it out in a different format if you like - it's up to you. I just don't have the time to figure out the list, but I can update it for you if you send me the BB-code wink.gif .

Toblerone
  • Toblerone

DOH!

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 February 2007 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (SteaVor @ Feb 11 2007, 17:23)
That's because the post is 'outdated'. The mod contains these models already.

I think that a note in the first post would clear this up.

oh i see, ill download the latest one then, thanx

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 12 February 2007 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE (ceedj @ Feb 11 2007, 21:50)
QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Feb 11 2007, 10:29)
Excellent work ceedj  icon14.gif   icon14.gif It's great that the work on peds can continue.
There's one particular thing I'd like to bring to your attention... Cipriani has a crazy finger that hovers an inch off his body.  turn.gif I know there's no point bringing up individual issues with the models, but this one kinda stands out, and shouldn't be too hard to fix.

No no no, this is good. In fact, an updated list would be swell, especially if you can point out little "issues" like that one. Now that I think about, Tony has an issue with his left shoulder not quite being closed (looking at the "paint", there's more weight on this shoulder/upper arm than the right) as well, so I'll muck with this one next.

What program are you using to display the model/texture like that? Looks nifty...

When converting peds, make sure that the shoulder width to arm length has the same ratio as the Claude model - then some new animations (as the rifle animations) will look best on the models. When it comes down to coordination of both hands, I think, the ratio must be roughly the same to keep the hands aligned. Can be tested easily by studying the python firing animation or by firing the m16.

Plus if some body part just refuses to look right when rigged, consider adding a handful of new vertices by cutting some faces. smile.gif

Alex

ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Members

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the tips Alex. smile.gif

Does anyone happen to know who did the Claude player model that's in the current version of the mod? I need to convert it to SA, but I'd like to get permission to do so and film with it.

Also, anyone happen to dig up that tut that AK made that Ben keeps refering too? Any reference work is handy to have around.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 17 February 2007 - 12:42 AM Edited by Ben, 17 February 2007 - 02:16 AM.

QUOTE (ceedj @ Feb 16 2007, 23:14)
Also, anyone happen to dig up that tut that AK made that Ben keeps refering too? Any reference work is handy to have around.

It's now part of the 'Modding guidelines' topic. Search for PED/Player Model Conversion From GTA3 To VC

EDIT by Ben - Yeah, it's in the last post of my guide. Just scroll down to the bottom (it's probably quicker to just press End on your keyboard though tounge.gif ) and you'll see it wink.gif .

And it was Alex (AK-73) who converted it, so you'd have to ask him - I don't think he'd have any objections though smile.gif .

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 19 February 2007 - 10:55 PM

Just an idea: Until we have proper models of the Old Oriental Gentleman (OJG and OJG2), why don't we use the one in prison suit from the intro (OJG_P)? It would certainly be better than seeing the Young Jewish Gentleman there turn.gif

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:59 PM

Yeah, I made that model and I have been passing that to GTA:LC only under provision that anybody may use it and the accompanying animations at will. smile.gif If somebody wants to give credit they may do so but I don't even insist on that. Just take my stuff and focus on making the mods you want to make. smile.gif

But make sure you have the latest model that I sent Ben. smile.gif

About the "tutorial": just a few notes that Ben asked me to make. It's by no means fool-proof and I can't guarantee for it being complete. In fact, it leaves out one critical aspect for ped-making (other than Claude): the adjusting of bone positions. I probably mentioned it before but the pivot points of GTA3 and the bone positions in Vice are a bit different. The biggest difference is with the head, iirc. I tried to adjust the bone structure so that the bones for Claude right between the pviot points of GTA3 and the bone positions of Vice/Tommy. If you want to keep it like that, just load my LC Claude into gmax/3dsm and try to put the bones to roughly equivalent positions with your ped models. Make sure you do this before attaching any verts to the bone though. smile.gif

Alex

ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Members

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:22 PM

Alex:

Yah, I though something was slightly funky there; I'll make these adjustments when I work on this in the future. I keep forgeting that I'm using my own peds.ifp (modified the cellphone animaition to fit women better), so all the positions for the peds with this animation set are slightly off. The LC animations look funky with my imported vice cast, so I just used my own animation file for the whole season. But again, I'll make this adjustment to the bones and such when I get back to working on them for LC.

And thanks for the permissions for S3. smile.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:46 AM

Notes relating to the differences with pivot points are in the LC\anim\ part I think, because they had a big-ish impact on animations. So have a geez there as well - hopefully it'll have something that'll point you in the right direction smile.gif .

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 16 March 2007 - 05:39 PM Edited by Konstantinos, 22 March 2007 - 06:41 PM.

Simple fix for the black prostitute problem (Checklist 1-10)

The ped she was replacing was fatfemale01. The model is quite similar to the already converted fatfemale02, so I used that with the GTA3 texture, and it looks... acceptable. IMO it's better than just using a placeholder from VC, until we can get a proper conversion.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:35 PM

I've just updated the PED list (in the first post) with the new table that Kon sent me. So now we have something up-to-date to work from smile.gif .

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:10 AM

Just to let you know, I'm still, when I have some time, working on a way to have GTAIII ped DFFs work with the VC engine. It requires alot of modification to the model loading and animation systems, which will take time for me to fully figure out. So until then...

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:50 PM Edited by AK-73, 23 March 2007 - 01:37 PM.

I am currently working on adding new animations to Vice (which appears to be absolutely doable), so I have some insight into the way Vice handles animations... maybe we could benefit from an exchange of information.

Have you found out yet the purpose and workings of the animation sub-groups, for example? Every .ifp file belongs to some kind of animation group that is identified by the name string in the header of the .ifp. But next to that Vice also has 0x3D "sub-groups" where things like all player movement unarmed or all player movement with rocket launcher etc are grouped. This information is hard-coded in a structure of I think 0x3D entries of 0x18 bytes size. I don't remember the base address (I can look it up if you like) but at +8 (I think) into the structure is the id of an object from default.ide that is being used as a sort of "test model" to use for the animation, that might be something for you. I think this about always 0x00000001, therefore using the cop as test model for the anim.

Related to that I noticed that in the ped.ifp is an anim that doesn't fit the usual animations I think. It is this bomber animation. Haven't looked at it in-depth yet though.

Alex

PS Since I am working on a beat'em-up mod I have looked a bit into the fistfiting stuff and I think that very much the entire fighting system of GTA3 can be transplanted to Vice (plus the extra VC moves). Also control over which attacks the peds choose isn't much of a problem anymore. But I would like to enlist the help of someone to convert the animations with me - it's about 20 animations and the conversion process isn't too difficult, just burdensome. Anyone? smile.gif ceedj? Konstantinos? smile.gif

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (AK-73 @ Mar 23 2007, 13:50)
But I would like to enlist the help of someone to convert the animations with me - it's about 20 animations and the conversion process isn't too difficult, just burdensome. Anyone? smile.gif   ceedj? Konstantinos? smile.gif

Trust me - it IS too difficult for me smile.gif Sorry dude, modelling/animations is the one aspect of modding I know ABSOLUTELY nothing about (as compared to 'almost nothing' with the others biggrin.gif ) I could probably be educated on these things, but that would be a waste of time for both you and me. I can imagine, however, that ceedj would be able - and willing - to help you.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Mar 23 2007, 15:10)
Just to let you know, I'm still, when I have some time, working on a way to have GTAIII ped DFFs work with the VC engine. It requires alot of modification to the model loading and animation systems, which will take time for me to fully figure out. So until then...

Nice to see you're still around, James smile.gif . And glad to see you're still helping out when you can. I understand with you fully about the time uni takes up - I barely stray outside the LC forum anymore, and haven't played/modded it at all since uni started. You're probably our main EXE guy atm (seeing as Alex doesn't want the responsibility tounge.gif ), so there's a few other EXE issues you might be interested in attacking when you get a chance. It's up to you though - I don't want to push you too hard into anything wink.gif .

QUOTE (AK-73 @ Mar 23 2007, 23:50)
I am currently working on adding new animations to Vice (which appears to be absolutely doable), so I have some insight into the way Vice handles animations... maybe we could benefit from an exchange of information.

Have you found out yet the purpose and workings of the animation sub-groups, for example? Every .ifp file belongs to some kind of animation group that is identified by the name string in the header of the .ifp. But next to that Vice also has 0x3D "sub-groups" where things like all player movement unarmed or all player movement with rocket launcher etc are grouped. This information is hard-coded in a structure of I think 0x3D entries of 0x18 bytes size. I don't remember the base address (I can look it up if you like) but at +8 (I think) into the structure is the id of an object from default.ide that is being used as a sort of "test model" to use for the animation, that might be something for you. I think this about always 0x00000001, therefore using the cop as test model for the anim.

Related to that I noticed that in the ped.ifp is an anim that doesn't fit the usual animations I think. It is this bomber animation. Haven't looked at it in-depth yet though.

Alex

PS Since I am working on a beat'em-up mod I have looked a bit into the fistfiting stuff and I think that very much the entire fighting system of GTA3 can be transplanted to Vice (plus the extra VC moves). Also control over which attacks the peds choose isn't much of a problem anymore. But I would like to enlist the help of someone to convert the animations with me - it's about 20 animations and the conversion process isn't too difficult, just burdensome. Anyone? smile.gif ceedj? Konstantinos? smile.gif

That'd be really good if you and James could figure out some sort of information exchange. I guess it just depends on how you both go for time.

Also, just out of curiosity, how's VC:Weather and VC:Traffic coming along? Has there been any updates since we last spoke via email? I don't get a chance to check out their release pages so unless you tell me, chances are I'll miss any updates wink.gif .

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hmm, VC Traffic 0.9.2 has been released, and it would fix at least the gang (PIG) problem, I think.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

Thanks smile.gif . That sounds like the release Alex and I were discussing - it should fix the PIG problem, as well as make the drivers go crazy when shot at ALL the time (as per GTA3). I'll still get him to confirm (in case he has any plans for any updates in the near future).

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

@Kon: Well, if you can get models from Vice and GTA3 into gmax/3dsm and if you can rotate objects in gmax/3dsm, you can convert animations. As I have said: it's burdensome - not so much difficult. The basic process is like this: you get gta3 claude into gmax and apply the animation of your choice to it. Then you get my lc claude into the same scene and start rotating bones so that it ends up in the same position as the gta3 claude. It *does* need a few more explanations before anyone can start but *basically* that's it. Much easier than converting peds, simply a case of trying to match semi-accurately an already existing animation.

@Ben: a new VC:Traffic version is out. It should help you with gang-related spawning problems, as you can configure size and behaviour of gang groups. I take it that setting up the mod is a bit complex so if there's plenty of questions remaining, feel free to ask. I might set-up a .cfg for you if you tell me what you want to change from the default set-up. And yes, there's plenty of stuff I still want to see implemented in VC:Traffic, less so VC:Weather unless somebody gives me some inspiration. smile.gif

@MM: I have been thinking about it - doesn't a new animation system mean you'll have to make completely new animations for these original gta3 peds? If you succeed to introduce original gta3 peds, they will be unable to use *any* VC animation, including bike animations and weapon animations. One will have to be converted, there's no getting around that, is there? I think the best solution is converting peds properly, especially in the light of having converted already plenty.

Meanwhile I have succeeded in getting new animations into Vice City. At this point I think we can have about as many additional animations, as we like, I think. I also think I understood the subgroups now. (Btw, the struct I referred to before is located @6857B0; it contains the hardcoded information how to set-up animation sub-groups, at least that's how I call them. An anim sub-group is what gets referenced as animgroup in default.ide, among other things. Otoh, what I call animgroup is the name in the header of every .ifp file. The game uses that internally too. The game uses that hardcoded information set-up crucial structures for which there is a base ptr @9B5F0C.

Basically subgroups are used like this: an activity like walking or punching has a certain id. When triggering an animation, the calling proc passes that id *and* the id of the subgroup to the anim proc. Then the anim proc looks up which animation is associated with that id within that anim group. Thus the same id for walking can cause different anims to be triggered, thus creating different walking styles.

Alex

PS I should add that I also discovered over the WE that it's dead easy to convert most animations from SA to VC. Watching Claude do Kung-Fu wheel kicks is funny. smile.gif

ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Members

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:53 PM

Time has not been my friend lately, but if you don't mind only a couple at a time, I can do some of this. I take it this is basically jumping a frame, moving bones, set the key, lather rinse repeat? If I can get Gmax to load on my crappy laptop, I could easily do this at work on the weekends.

More info please? smile.gif

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE (ceedj @ Mar 26 2007, 13:53)
Time has not been my friend lately, but if you don't mind only a couple at a time, I can do some of this. I take it this is basically jumping a frame, moving bones, set the key, lather rinse repeat? If I can get Gmax to load on my crappy laptop, I could easily do this at work on the weekends.

More info please? smile.gif

Yeah kinda like that. It's been some time since I have been doing this but there's a few points that I remember: do not try to match every frame or else you will have to be very precise to not have the animation appear wriggly. I have good successes with matching every 4th or 5th frame and letting the game interpolate the rest. Some parts of an animation might need higher granularity but that's about it. Secondly, the only bone that I move is the root bone. This is responsible for the position of the player for me. I do not move the other bones but rely strictly on rotations. Thirdly, to match both models, I found it best to use wireframe mode and to choose contrasting colors for both models.

Fourthly, and this is the most important advice of all: when you start animating, the first thing you do is to turn on the animate button and to save the scene into a new file. I have had to start all over again more than once by not doing that and thus ending up manipulating bones across all keyframes. *Never* forget that step, especially when new to animating. smile.gif I can't stress that enough. Do consciously remind yourself of that preperatory step before each session.

And still don't underestimate how burdensome this conversion process can get after a few frames. smile.gif

I have already converted fightidle, fight2idle, the jab, the fightpunch, and the lngkick (not sure about the exact names), so nobody bother about those ones. But basically all anims from fistfite.dat will have to be eventually replaced - unless the corresponding VC anim looks similar enough, I haven't checked that yet, might be that not many anims will remain after that. smile.gif

In any case, if we make this a collective effort, noone should start on an animation without checking in here if somebody else isn't working on the same one already.

Wrt to time: it's been quite some time since I made the animations that have been adopted by LC, so you can be pretty sure that I am in no hurry. I did abandon it because at that time I couldn't do asm and mem hacking and had no control over which anims peds would use for attack. I don't want peds to use the jump kick that Claude has in Vice. But in VC they *can* do the lngkick attack. I'll make that configurable.

Alex

PS Didn't make anyone (perhaps MM) a trainer for LC/VC with an in-game menu? I'm looking for an interface for the player to use to set-up his own fighting style in Vice based on the moves that they have learnt (a la Kengo).

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:34 PM

That trainer was in progress, and has not been finished yet. MM can give you more specifics about its progress.

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (AK-73 @ Mar 26 2007, 14:20)
@MM: I have been thinking about it - doesn't a new animation system mean you'll have to make completely new animations for these original gta3 peds? If you succeed to introduce original gta3 peds, they will be unable to use *any* VC animation, including bike animations and weapon animations. One will have to be converted, there's no getting around that, is there? I think the best solution is converting peds properly, especially in the light of having converted already plenty.

Meanwhile I have succeeded in getting new animations into Vice City. At this point I think we can have about as many additional animations, as we like, I think. I also think I understood the subgroups now. (Btw, the struct I referred to before is located @6857B0; it contains the hardcoded information how to set-up animation sub-groups, at least that's how I call them. An anim sub-group is what gets referenced as animgroup in default.ide, among other things. Otoh, what I call animgroup is the name in the header of every .ifp file. The game uses that internally too. The game uses that hardcoded information set-up crucial structures for which there is a base ptr @9B5F0C.

Basically subgroups are used like this: an activity like walking or punching has a certain id. When triggering an animation, the calling proc passes that id *and* the id of the subgroup to the anim proc. Then the anim proc looks up which animation is associated with that id within that anim group. Thus the same id for walking can cause different anims to be triggered, thus creating different walking styles.

Correct, the animations that weren't in III would have to be created. Personally I think it would be easier to make the animations and have perfect looking III peds rather than slight deformations on converted peds. Either way it doesn't matter, I'm doing this because I have more than one use for it.

The "subgroup structs" you refer to are defined by R* as CAnimManager::ms_aAnimAssocDefinitions. That is one of the many animation related stuff I have documented on my VC disassembly, therefore there should be no major problems in doing what I'm set out to do...

QUOTE (AK-73 @ Mar 26 2007, 15:35)
PS Didn't make anyone (perhaps MM) a trainer for LC/VC with an in-game menu? I'm looking for an interface for the player to use to set-up his own fighting style in Vice based on the moves that they have learnt (a la Kengo).

I was designing a system that creates a menu that appears ingame, but unfortunately it's nowhere to be found, at least not on my HDD but I'll have a look on my backup DVDs. If I don't find it at all I'll try and write one up (I need one anyway), shouldn't take too long depending on what kind of features you're wanting...

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Mar 26 2007, 13:20)
Correct, the animations that weren't in III would have to be created. Personally I think it would be easier to make the animations and have perfect looking III peds rather than slight deformations on converted peds. Either way it doesn't matter, I'm doing this because I have more than one use for it.

Judging by everything I've heard, if that approach could be executed, I agree that it would be the best way to go. Hell, then we could even use the cutscene heads from GTA3 as well. And that would be a big plus.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:17 PM

Definitely - I agree. Keep up the good work guys - it's nice to see some more action around here again smile.gif .

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

MM, have you already considered a much simpler solution? The pivot points of body parts in GTA3 work exactly like a bone in VC to which only a single contiguous mesh object with full weights is attached. Back then I considered writing a maxscript that does create a bone and skins VC model out of GTA3 object. swaist object would be tied to pelvis bone, smid to spine, storso to spine1, etc. That is way easier than hacking the entire animation engine. I believe something similar can be done with cutscene models. Then you'd need to write a converter for the GTA3 animations too, replacing the simply the names of parts with the names of bones.
Now of course I don't know what you intend to use all this for *beyond LC* but if it doesn't go beyond the scope of LC, this is a simple, working solution. Afterall the body part system is like a bone system where only weight of 0.0 and 1.0 are allowed. However since this also breaks all original Vice animations I personally decided against it.

About the menu stuff: I would like the user to be able to configure which martial art technique/combo is to be associated with which button or button combo and I want them to be able to do that in an in-game menu at any time.

About the fighting animations:
Well, if the LC project is looking to have original LC actors in-game, then it doesn't make much sense for me to ask for help from people from here in converting GTA3 animations to VC. smile.gif Since I have a lively interest in that, it is going to happen anyway though; especially since I have learned that it enables me to use animations from SA and possibly other GTAs very easily. smile.gif

Should you folks ever change your minds, here's a list of animations that would need to be converted beyond the ones that I have already converted (although that is to some degree prone to subjective impression), you may want to keep that one safely, just in case: (ordered by priority)

Must do:
FIGHTLhook
FIGHTkick

Must do for authenticity (animation is fine but doesn't have the GTA3 feel):
HIT_front
HIT_back
HIT_walk
HIT_behind (very different animation!)

Debatable:
FIGHThead
KICK_floor
HIT_R (final stance)
HIT_L (final stance)
HIT_bodyblow (speed)
HIT_head (speed)

Reasonably close to GTA3:
punchR
FIGHTsh_F
FIGHTknee
FIGHTrndhse
FIGHTbodyblow
FLOOR_hit

For those last ones and the rest you might want to consider correcting the arm positions across all frames so that they fit with the new fightidle stance. smile.gif

Alex

PS MM, have you ever converted an animation from Vice to GTA3? I know the reverse process isn't too much fun. smile.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 29 March 2007 - 11:02 PM

Although that sounds like a pretty good suggestion, I think MM's sounds more practical (provided he can do it; and I get the impression that he can). I'm not sure about the extra fighting animations being official or not - I guess a menu option would be fine though smile.gif . I'll leave it to you two to work it out as you both know a helluva lot more about it than I do.

At the very least, I think it'd be really good to have a simple menu (or Show Config option) that would allow the user to choose between using the GTA3 or VC fighting animations in LC. But the VC fighting animations would have to be recreated to work on the GTA3 models, right? I'm sure you've got it all under control, James wink.gif .

@Alex - thanks for the list too icon14.gif .

ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Members

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (ModelingMan @ Mar 26 2007, 13:20)
I was designing a system that creates a menu that appears ingame, but unfortunately it's nowhere to be found, at least not on my HDD but I'll have a look on my backup DVDs. If I don't find it at all I'll try and write one up (I need one anyway), shouldn't take too long depending on what kind of features you're wanting...

I gotta be honest, I'm pretty interested in seeing how something like this would work. I hope you'll be willing to share some details when you get it working. wink.gif

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:10 PM

QUOTE (AK-73 @ Mar 29 2007, 15:45)
MM, have you already considered a much simpler solution?
Now of course I don't know what you intend to use all this for *beyond LC* but if it doesn't go beyond the scope of LC, this is a simple, working solution...

The "simpler solution" is the obvious one. Yes it has crossed my mind, but writing the animation system will come in handy for next year in uni when I have a game project to do to get my degree. My uni has copies of Renderware which made me think, if I can write an animation system to bring III characters over to VC, I can sure as hell use it in my own project.

About the menu stuff: I would like the user to be able to configure which martial art technique/combo is to be associated with which button or button combo and I want them to be able to do that in an in-game menu at any time.

QUOTE (ceedj @ Mar 30 2007, 13:39)
I gotta be honest, I'm pretty interested in seeing how something like this would work. I hope you'll be willing to share some details when you get it working. wink.gif

Basically what I can do is design a system that will allow you to customize a menu. Off the top of my head have functions like:
CODE
MenuManager::AddItem(MenuItem*)
MenuManager::SetItemCallback(MenuItem*)

This menu system could be put into a static library for use with C++ or even be controllable by SCM, whichever way is better for you. Right now I am in the same boat as you ceedj, I'd also like to see the end result lol. I already made a similar system in college last year, but it's probably best to start from scratch.

PS MM, have you ever converted an animation from Vice to GTA3? I know the reverse process isn't too much fun. smile.gif

Hmm, that's a toughie, don't think I'd have the patience to try it lol.

QUOTE (Ben @ Mar 30 2007, 00:02)
At the very least, I think it'd be really good to have a simple menu (or Show Config option) that would allow the user to choose between using the GTA3 or VC fighting animations in LC. But the VC fighting animations would have to be recreated to work on the GTA3 models, right? I'm sure you've got it all under control, James wink.gif .

Yep, VC fighting animations would need to be recreated for III models. Switching between the animations is no problem but recreating is a different matter; but hey if someone is willing to do it, by all means do so.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users