Photo

PEDs/Actors/Animations

231 replies to this topic
Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 26 August 2006 - 02:52 AM

No. We're not going to do anything with Darkel.

And I'm surprised it took almost 3 years to hear that question. suicidal.gif

Lord Molo
  • Lord Molo

GTA Drifter

• Members

Posted 26 August 2006 - 04:09 AM Edited by Lord Molo, 26 August 2006 - 09:46 PM.

Leave it to me to ask it! but isn't it true that he is in the original gaming code for GTA3? Perhaps he should be in the unnoficial mods section. mabye I'll take this over to the requests section.
Could you possibly tell me where I can find a download of the original Darkel files?

scalliano
  • scalliano

Ice Cold Killa

• Members

Posted 29 August 2006 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Aug 24 2006, 20:52)
Why bother? v6 contains all the characters made after v5, and doesn't have the pager...

True, but v5 is the only version I can play all the way to the end at the moment, due to v6 crashing when I get to within 100 yards of the Staunton jetty during "Last Requests".

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 29 August 2006 - 09:48 AM Edited by Konstantinos, 29 August 2006 - 01:26 PM.

QUOTE (scalliano @ Aug 29 2006, 02:17)
QUOTE (Konstantinos @ Aug 24 2006, 20:52)
Why bother? v6 contains all the characters made after v5, and doesn't have the pager...

True, but v5 is the only version I can play all the way to the end at the moment, due to v6 crashing when I get to within 100 yards of the Staunton jetty during "Last Requests".

Alright then. To answer your question, the placeholder model for JOEY2 in v5 was BGA. It's one of the guards at Malibu club in VC.

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

GTA:LC kiwi :)

• Members

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

hi dudes, probably this had already been discussed, but what about vice peds in Liberty City?

I think that bikini babes and Golf players really don't fit LC, if peds number is higher than gtaIII why don't we replace exceeding vc peds with III "cloned" peds? confused.gif

Blackadder.
  • Blackadder.

Luck. Runs. Out.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:09 AM

I think its because they havnt converted it confused.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:54 AM

Yes, that is correct. I believe it's noted in the checklist too smile.gif .

The PED conversion process is the last major thing that hasn't been done. It'll get done eventually, but right now, nothing is happening with it.

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

• Members

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:37 PM

so peds *only* have to be converted?

I tought that it was already been done, so vc peds number is the same of III?

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:38 PM

Question: how up to date is the first post of this topic?

kiwidesign
  • kiwidesign

• Members

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:18 PM

This post has been edited by ben on Apr 18 2006, 00:51

I think the edit line is right smile.gif

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:43 AM

I saw that but it may have been meant to have been updated but not.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:54 AM

I don't know how up-to-date the ped list is. I know I was updating the actors list. But I have no idea how current the status is of the default.ide peds.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:30 AM

The edit by line was only from me cleaning up the topic, and giving Choofy priveleges to edit the first post - I think I also updated the player status too, to fit in with AK's contributions. But the rest of the list is a fair bit out-of-date I think. And no, I don't have the time to clean it up - this can be someone else's baby. Anyone interested?

Oh, and Choofy has been busy with work so he hasn't been able to do anything with LC for a while (I spoke to him over MSN this morning).

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:49 PM

user posted image

The gray fellow you see here is a completely unmodified GTA3 model which has been loaded into LC. As you can see the model doesn't interact with the world, it's just basically a clump loaded and rendered on screen, nothing more. What I'm trying to do is to see if GTAIII animations load and render fine, and if so somehow work out a way to completely replace VC's animation loading system so that we can simply copy over the GTAIII models without any rigging. Although, doing so there would have to be new animations created that will substitute those that aren't in GTAIII (bikes, choppers, etc.), but I think it'll be easier to create the animations rather than rigging each pedestrian (which takes more than one attempt for them to look decent enough).

I start university on Monday, so I won't be around as much as I have been lately. So don't expect this to be completed supery-dupery fast...

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:37 AM Edited by Ben, 01 October 2006 - 12:44 AM.

Nice work MM. I can't wait to see the results of this - it should be awesome.

That leaves me with one question though - do you think it would be possible then to simply use the GTAIII gta3.img rather than a custom one for LC? There's still going to be a few files to add (such as the animation ifp files for the bikes, among others), but that would drastically reduce the download size for LC, and may also reflect better with R* because people would NEED to own GTAIII (as well as VC) in order to play LC. Also, taking that into account, I'm sure some sort of installer script could be written to automate the process - I think I've seen some stuff in the Misc. section about this. I'll have a look. smile.gif

EDIT - Nevermind. It seemed like a good idea in theory, but the TXDs present too much of a problem to make the process worthwhile.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 17 September 2006 - 03:08 PM

No way Ben. I don't even think that's an option to consider. Have you really thought about how much would have to be done to use that image. And how many files would have to be added afterwards?

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:25 AM Edited by Ben, 01 October 2006 - 12:42 AM.

Well, obviously it would depend on exactly how the models are rendered. If the process is mostly universal for the different models (PEDs, buildings, vehicles, etc.) then it *COULD* be an option. I haven't looked too deeply into exactly what the image contains, but surely it can't be written off too quickly wink.gif ?

I seem to remember a few months ago the mention of using all of the original GTA3 building models somewhere - ah yes, found it (rest of that page too).

Considering that, and assuming the PEDs can be sorted, what else is there to do? I can think of the weapons, vehicles, and COL files (as well as the animation ifps and bike models I mentioned in my previous post). The COLs will definitely have to be our custom ones, but perhaps the weapons and vehicles can be figured at some stage in the future too.

Fair enough though, perhaps using the GTA3 IMG isn't the most efficient when it comes to installation, but I think the possibility should still be considered smile.gif .

EDIT - Nevermind. It seemed like a good idea in theory, but the TXDs present too much of a problem to make the process worthwhile.

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 29 September 2006 - 02:16 AM

*comes out of the darkness randomly*

sh*t its been too long since ive been around here....... sorry guys, the classic Real life has been in the way again....

anyways... i may be a bit late comming in, cause ModelingMan posted awhile ago with out any updates, but if he can get the GTA3 animations working in GTA:LC that would make getting Peds to work in LC a sh*t load easier

the problem with Rigging the GTA3 models is that its alot of guess work. you dont know what bone is supposed to affect what vertice, and 9 times out of 10, you get streching somewhere on the model.
All models i tired to rig all had problems with them and would problebly never be pefect, even with hours of tweaking.
GTA:LC tended to be very unstable on my system, not allowing me to play more than an hour of play time before an unhandled exception, or a complete system reboot. therefore it would be impossible for me to see all the animations ingame for a specfic model.

However, if ModelingMan can get the new Animation system to work. creating new Animations for the GTA3 models for getting on bikes and other misc things would be FAR easier to do.

all we would need to do is import the VC animations & VC player model in 3DS max, then import the GTA3 player model and copy the posistions of the GTA3 parts to match the VC player model, theres a few new animation tricks in Max ive learned this semseter in college that will help out alot. It would take awhile to re-create all the needed animations since you would need to match each frame, but it would be alot easier, and the end result would work better than rigging the GTA3 models, which would problebly never be perfect.

plus i now know how to import the GTA animations into max thanks to kams scripts.. so testing animations and previewing them will be alot faster for me since i wont have to start up the game to see them in action.

as for what i can do... i want to get back into GTA:LC since i wish this mod to be completed sometime... but with college in the way, and still having a craptacular computer to run off of, there is only so much i can do...

but if ModelingMan can get the system working, i will make sure i will devote some time into attempting to make the animations work.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 29 September 2006 - 04:13 AM

Can we get the best of both worlds with the animations? Meaning can we add the GTAIII animations into the ped.ipf file and keep the Vice City ones? That way you could use either a GTAIII ped or a Vice City one? Is that possible at all?

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 02 October 2006 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (silver007 @ Sep 29 2006, 02:16)

all we would need to do is import the VC animations & VC player model in 3DS max, then import the GTA3 player model and copy the posistions of the GTA3 parts to match the VC player model, theres a few new animation tricks in Max ive learned this semseter in college that will help out alot. It would take awhile to re-create all the needed animations since you would need to match each frame, but it would be alot easier, and the end result would work better than rigging the GTA3 models, which would problebly never be perfect.

Just one advice: if you go that road, don't try to match every frame - you will have to be very precise or else the animation will appear wriggly. If you convert every 5th frame on average that will do, although some animations or some parts of animations will require a finer grading. smile.gif

Alex

nitzkit
  • nitzkit

We're Out There

• Members

Posted 11 December 2006 - 09:13 PM

sorry to bump this....

could someone make or provide a link to the 3ds max Tutorial for peds?...the link in the front page of this topic is broken.... bored.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 12 December 2006 - 07:01 AM

That topic is archived. I'm trying to get access to the archives for another topic, but until Tank gets back, nothing much can happen.

AK-73 sent me a guide on how to convert prison Claude over, so I'll have a look and see if I can dig that up, and post it tomorrow wink.gif .

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:16 AM

Yep, I found it. Keep in mind that it's specifically for converting the prison Claude model to LC, based on the way that AK did the normal Claude. Whilst it's not exactly what you're looking for, it's better than nothing - download from here . smile.gif

ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 01:49 AM Edited by ceedj, 10 February 2007 - 02:15 AM.

Ok, been messing around with 3DS for a bit, and here's what I came up with:

Maria In Game Model Fixed (txd not included - no changes made to the texture)

The model was re-aligned and adjusted to fit a female ped (HFYRI in fact), but still loads onto the player as a skin just fine. Initial rigging was done via illspirits' tip, found here. I did a LOT of adjusting after, but this method let me see how a model should be painted, of which there aren't too many visual guides.

Before anyone whines about the suckage, I've included my 3DS Max file in the archive. Have fun, and make it better. wink.gif

Hope fully this one wasn't re-done already and the list was forgotten...

Anyway, just a little something for the mod, since I use it all the time. Make it official, unofficial, whatever. I just wanted the experience for bringing my actors to SA. cool.gif

NOTE: This looks better with the original Vice peds.ifp file. I MAY re-adjust the model a bit at some point to compensate.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:20 AM

Thanks muchly smile.gif .

I think the list here is a bit out of date - AK-73 was going to take a look at some more PED stuff when he gets some time, so he might come up with a more up-to-date list. I know his plate's pretty full at the moment though, so I don't know when he'll get around to it.

Even if we don't end up using it, it's still good because it's a learning experience for you anyways. And the thought of giving something back is appreciated too smile.gif .

I've still got a PED conversion guide AK-73 wrote for me on my PC (it's linked in the post above yours, although the link is now dead). I'll see about getting it re-uploaded over the next few days - you might find it useful as well wink.gif .

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 10 February 2007 - 03:21 AM

CJ, you just became my hero all over again. I was hoping someone start working on the peds again. If you're as good as modeling as you are with the other modding skills, then this should look good.

ceedj
  • ceedj

PEDS Creator

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 02:21 PM

blush.gif

Here's a fixed Luigi - JUST THE LEG ISSUE THOUGH. It still needs to be rigged "properly" (the arms hang a bit low, neck, etc). I just want to get some of the bigger issues out of the way before mucking with the details on them.

Luigi Fixed (leg issue only)

Included 3DS Max file if anyone wants to help. I'm only doing this when I get a bit of downtime from the show, but I think they'll get better as I keep working with them.

It would be REALLY handy if someone could tell me a way (if it exists) to get the texture on the model in Max; this would save a ton of time working on tearing issues and such. And does anyone know of a reason NOT to adjust weights while the model is in an animation pose? I haven't encountered any issues yet (I always return the model to it's default pose before exporting), but I'm wondering if there's an issue that might crop up.

Anyway, yah, I'll keep tweaking these as I get time. smile.gif

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:29 PM

Excellent work ceedj icon14.gif icon14.gif It's great that the work on peds can continue.
There's one particular thing I'd like to bring to your attention... Cipriani has a crazy finger that hovers an inch off his body. turn.gif I know there's no point bringing up individual issues with the models, but this one kinda stands out, and shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Toblerone
  • Toblerone

DOH!

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 February 2007 - 04:40 PM

i dont know if its just me but none of the gang download links work

SteaVor
  • SteaVor

Professional investor

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 February 2007 - 05:23 PM

That's because the post is 'outdated'. The mod contains these models already.

I think that a note in the first post would clear this up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users