Photo

PEDs/Actors/Animations

231 replies to this topic
AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ May 13 2006, 12:15)
@Alex - Sorry mate, after my 4 hour marathon effort on the checklist, I'm way too tired to test that stuff for you now.  Think I'm going to crawl into bed soon (it's only about 10:15pm down here, but I'm stuffed tounge.gif!).

I'll see how I go for time over the next few days - if that doesn't work out, I'll try and make some time next weekend icon14.gif.

If there's anymore updates before then, just email them to me - I will get around to it eventually wink.gif.

Hey Ben, smile.gif

don't worry about me man, if you got to do homework, do that. smile.gif LC might be more fun than school but school's more important. smile.gif I certainly wouldn't let GTA mess with my grades. smile.gif

About the AK issue I'd say: the best solution would be if someone would find out how to manipulate weapon/animation behaviour in the exe. For example, switching armament of FBI agents shouldn't involve much more than changing an integer value (in theory). Maybe it's the same with switching weapon sounds and aiming behaviour. Maybe with animations too but... I guess it might be more difficult to change if there's some form code a la "if (slotID=x) then playAnimation(y);" Don't know about that though, I have never done memory hacking; so all I'm trying to say, the best way to go seems to depend on which exe changes are easier to do.

Concerning the animations: I've been comparing weapons and animations in GTA3 and Vice a bit and there seem to be some significant differences in which things are being animated. The system right now works fair enough, except for the AK. So I recommend just trying make some Vice animations look better on the new model, instead of converting GTA3 animations to Vice. Example is the csaw animations which seem to get used with heavy weapons (flamer, minigun). Because of the differences in the models Claude's arms appear to be hanging down a bit. GTA3 animations *might not* be suitable because you didn't have a weapon similar to the minigun. So why not stick to the Vice animation just trying to raise the arms a bit to correct the shift in model? Just a thought... if you don't like the idea, I recommend that you take a look at animations in both games yourself and compare them and tell me what animation you would like to have converted as what. smile.gif

Alex

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:00 PM

Changing the weapons, from what I've seen in the memory topics, is just like that, however for some reason you still have to manually load the other weapons (unless someone finds how to change that) so you would need to load the weapons through the SCM and change the values in the EXE (either load them whenever your wanted level is at the FBI level, or once and never release them, which isn't ideal but more secure).

random_download
  • random_download

:o

• Members

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (Y_Less @ May 15 2006, 16:00)
Changing the weapons, from what I've seen in the memory topics, is just like that, however for some reason you still have to manually load the other weapons (unless someone finds how to change that) so you would need to load the weapons through the SCM and change the values in the EXE (either load them whenever your wanted level is at the FBI level, or once and never release them, which isn't ideal but more secure).

I guess you could try altering code where the FBI weapon ID is, to try and make it jump to some code in the .asi file, then load the model there so the model is loaded every time the FBI appear automatically.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 19 May 2006 - 02:28 PM Edited by AK-73, 19 May 2006 - 02:34 PM.

Hi all!

Newsflash: I just sent ben a converted version of python.ifp after I realized that due to different body proportions between GTA3 and VC/Claude and Tommy the left hand was out of alignment for the new Claude model. Expect that to be the case for all animations involving both hands handling an object for the moment.

The python animations are now looking fairly right again though.

I've been considering what work is still to do on what animations and this is my current proposal:
-fixing all misalignments involving the hands. That involves among other things running and firing with rifles.
-converting most rocket animations (idle and the 4 running animations)
-I'd like to convert run_armed to its GTA3 equivalent. In Vice the Rifles are being held pretty level, while in GTA3 they're pointing a bit downwards while running.
-I've decided against converting the idle_armed animation though. First of all, in GTA3 Claude switches between the idle animation and the idle_armed animation back and forth but the vice .exe doesn't do that. Secondly, the M60 in Vice seems to be much heavier than all the weapon in GTA3 that use the armed animation, so it doesn't seem to feel right to me if he'd hold up the M60 one-handed all the time. Thiridly, the Vice animation looks fine and, lastly, I can save on converting another animation... wink.gif If anyone of you wants to do have that animation in LC though, I ain't stopping you; if you need some advice on how to do that, feel free to ask. smile.gif

About the AK: I fired off a couple of Ruger/M4 rounds and I think the statement that both have the same sound is incorrect and that the sfx archive is incorrect also. I did not verify this explicitly but it sound as if sfx00052 - sfx00053 is the M4, while sfx00074 - sfx00076 is the Ruger's sounds. If so, that would be one hindrance out of the way. If the aiming could be fixed in weapon.dat, the remaining problem would be the one of the FBI agents. Now I have no clue about memory hacking (tutorial anyone? wink.gif ) but it seems to me that upon spawning or right after the spawning, they might be being given the MP5 and probably using the same ID as in the .scm as a byte or dword or whatever. If one could locate that address and would overwrite it once with the Ruger ID, wouldn't from that point on all FBI agents get spawned with Rugers? Just asking.

Also: Since the Uzi occupies one slot and the M4/M16 another and you have a third weapon, the AK, you can't have all 3 at once in LC anyway?

Alex

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:23 PM Edited by Konstantinos, 19 May 2006 - 05:43 PM.

QUOTE (AK-73 @ May 19 2006, 16:28)
Also: Since the Uzi occupies one slot and the M4/M16 another and you have a third weapon, the AK, you can't have all 3 at once in LC anyway?

Alex

No, actually. The slots have changed in LC, so the 3 short smg's (including UZI) occupy slot 5, MP5 (AK) has its own slot 6 and assault rifles (including M16) are 7. So you can have UZI, AK and M16 at once, as in GTA3.
If the FBI problem can be overcame, then I wouldn't mind putting AK into Ruger's slot - who needs to carry both AK and M16 around anyway? But Craig might see it otherwise, as he is always aiming for GTA3 authenticity.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:15 AM

@Alex - I'll check it out and add it to my To-Do-List for LC (of which testing your PED/Animation stuff is now at the top icon14.gif).

Just another thing for you to consider - do you think it's possible to alter the reload animations? I haven't looked into them too deeply yet, but when I was making a video of the GTA3 animations, I realised that Claude loads the shotgun in a different way to VC. But if the reloading animations are universal to weapon type, then this could cause problems - what do you think?

@Kon - To answer your question, I do tounge.gif! I remember seeing a table of the weapons replacements somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now. JameSHF posted a list, but there was a nice table form somewhere I think (maybe I'm imagining it). Not that it matters a great deal anyhow - if all goes well, Hammer will be able to make the weapons slots exactly as they were in GTA3 through the launcher. IF all goes well wink.gif.

There may be a simpler solution (as Bobesz suggested further up) - add a "heavy" flag to the the AK-47 (MP-5). Not sure what other flags there are, but this one will have other problems (you won't be able to jump - not sure if you could in GTA3; and you won't be able to sprint - I think that's correct as per GTA3; not sure if he'll hold it two-handed or not though). Can someone please test this out?

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 20 May 2006 - 10:14 AM Edited by benisablink182fan, 21 May 2006 - 12:41 AM.

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ May 20 2006, 04:15)
There may be a simpler solution (as Bobesz suggested further up) - add a "heavy" flag to the the AK-47 (MP-5).  Not sure what other flags there are, but this one will have other problems (you won't be able to jump - not sure if you could in GTA3; and you won't be able to sprint - I think that's correct as per GTA3; not sure if he'll hold it two-handed or not though).  Can someone please test this out?

I already tested that. MP5 (AK) has the same flags as Ruger, which is held with both hands. Even if you copy over the M4 entry, it won't change anything - you still get single handed sprint allowing not manual aiming AK. I confess that I don't know how exactly these flags work, but it's safe to say that weapon.dat isn't the way to go.

EDIT by Ben - Ah, ok. Thanks.

Looks like this will have to be an issue for Hammer to solve through the EXE then wink.gif.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 22 May 2006 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (benisablink182fan @ May 20 2006, 12:15)
@Alex - I'll check it out and add it to my To-Do-List for LC (of which testing your PED/Animation stuff is now at the top icon14.gif).

Just another thing for you to consider - do you think it's possible to alter the reload animations? I haven't looked into them too deeply yet, but when I was making a video of the GTA3 animations, I realised that Claude loads the shotgun in a different way to VC. But if the reloading animations are universal to weapon type, then this could cause problems - what do you think?

Ok, I've finished off that testing and uploaded some videos and notes for Alex to work off of.

The python may still need some work, but it would only be minor, if at all. Most of the other two-handed animations look good though - I doubt Alex is going to need to tweak them much.

Furthermore, the Claude model is looking very good - I'd say it's just about final, but I'll wait to see what Alex says.

Regarding the GTA3 fighting animations, I think we'll just stick with the VC ones. To me, the GTA3 ones look really out of place - Claude looks somewhat deformed doing them. It's not bad work by Alex, it's just that the movement itself doesn't look natural. Part of the reason I think is that the game-world is clearer in LC than in GTA3, so it really stands out in LC, whereas it seemed fine in GTA3. Again, however, I'll wait to see what Alex says.

Oh, and the question in the quote. smile.gif

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:06 PM

Just a quick note: rereading a bit the weapons thread, I noticed that the reason the heavy flag wasn't used is that it prevents jumping. Personally, I think that keeping similar weapons in the same slot makes sense. It may not offer an advantage or greater authrenticiy but if one wants maximum authenticity, then nothing is better than playing GTA3 itself anyway. wink.gif

But then again it's not my mod, so it's not for me to decide. smile.gif

A more in-depth post will follow later this week.

Alex

Y_Less
  • Y_Less

• Members

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (random_download @ May 15 2006, 20:46)
QUOTE (Y_Less @ May 15 2006, 16:00)

I guess you could try altering code where the FBI weapon ID is, to try and make it jump to some code in the .asi file, then load the model there so the model is loaded every time the FBI appear automatically.

That could be an option, although you would have to figure out the code to inject the correct SCM commands in ASM (although I think it would just be a few stack pushes then calls to the command processor, most of the ASM is in Spookies SCM hook and since you don't need all the other gumph being already in the process, and you could simply hard-code the loading commands, it shouldn't be too hard, provided you could figure it out.

The hardest part would be finding the place to put it as the address with the weapon is very different to the address of the code. And if you were doing that you may as well just hack the original load code.

random_download
  • random_download

• Members

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:55 PM

I was thinking, when it creates the FBI it will have something like:
CODE
push <weaponID> // This is what you change when altering the documented memory address
call <create FBI>
So you would simply change the call to somewhere in the .asi file, and so in there you would have:
CODE
In Memory:
push <weaponID>
call <asi file>

In .asi File:
@<asi file>
<load model>
call <create FBI>
ret
To actually load the model you would just use an scm hook, or if you wanted I guess you could call the function directly.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

After reading random's latest posts, I have an idea on why one part of the launcher isn't working. And that part is the shotgun that you get when you enter the police car. Is the reason the code isn't working properly because the new model number isn't loaded right? I tried looking into the (old) source code but all I could find regarding that was the getter info in uLCEdit.pas (variable: EntWeap1) which reads the number from the GUI. But I couldn't find the actual function which tells the game to give the new weapon. Maybe one of you guys would have better luck digging through the source code to see if that's an issue.

random_download
  • random_download

• Members

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

From what I can see in the source code, it just changes the memory address for the weapon ID to whatever is in the edtWeapEntranceWeap1 text box. It don't think that it calls any functions to load the model, so that could be the issue.
IRRC getting a weapon without loading the model doesn't usually crash the game, it just means that the model isn't there but the animations still play.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:15 PM

I was under the impression the shotgun animation was already fixed confused.gif.

Not that I've tested it myself, but someone pointed out to me that you get the GTA3 shotgun when entering a cop car now.

It doesn't hurt to be sure however wink.gif.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:16 PM

The ability to change the weapon ID has been in the launcher for some time. But if you selected the GTA3 shotgun (ID# 21) you simply get nothing. So it's looking more and more like that's what the issue could be. I'll have to talk to Hammer about that sometime, unless someone else can figure it out first. Either way, I'd have to get ahold of Hammer because his latest source code is not public at this point.

random_download
  • random_download

• Members

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ May 23 2006, 23:16)
The ability to change the weapon ID has been in the launcher for some time. But if you selected the GTA3 shotgun (ID# 21) you simply get nothing. So it's looking more and more like that's what the issue could be. I'll have to talk to Hammer about that sometime, unless someone else can figure it out first. Either way, I'd have to get ahold of Hammer because his latest source code is not public at this point.

That is exactly what happens when you don't load the model. You could have a temporary fix by loading the model at the start of the scm and never releasing it.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (random_download @ May 24 2006, 08:41)

That is exactly what happens when you don't load the model. You could have a temporary fix by loading the model at the start of the scm and never releasing it.

Well, how does Vice do it? If it doesn't load the model at the start of the scm, there must be a way to load a different model and making the same model get released automatically through memory hacking. Doing it through the scm is kludgy but better than nothing.

Anyway, to return to the topic, it occured to me that one might get an even better version of non-prison Claude by using the model from SA. When I
tried importing claude.dff from SA for PS2 though, KAM's script failed on me. smile.gif If anybody can hand me a .dff that I can import into gmax, I'll see what can be achieved by binding the vertices to Vice's bones. Results should be superior to the latest version. That wouldn't help with prison Claude a bit though. smile.gif

Alex

random_download
  • random_download

• Members

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

@AK-73: IMO the GTA3 Claude model looks much better than the SA one, and anyway GTA:LC is supposed to be a straight port into the VC engine.
QUOTE (AK-73 @ Jun 13 2006 @ 15:22)
Well, how does Vice do it? If it doesn't load the model at the start of the scm, there must be a way to load a different model and making the same model get released automatically through memory hacking. Doing it through the scm is kludgy but better than nothing.
QUOTE (me)
To actually load the model you would just use an scm hook, or if you wanted I guess you could call the function directly.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (AK-73 @ Jun 14 2006, 01:22)
Anyway, to return to the topic, it occured to me that one might get an even better version of non-prison Claude by using the model from SA. When I
tried importing claude.dff from SA for PS2 though, KAM's script failed on me. smile.gif If anybody can hand me a .dff that I can import into gmax, I'll see what can be achieved by binding the vertices to Vice's bones. Results should be superior to the latest version. That wouldn't help with prison Claude a bit though. smile.gif

What random said ^.

You're Claude model is really awesome - apart from the minor issue of sizing which you mentioned in your last email, I don't think there's anything wrong with it icon14.gif.

And besides, we've already got an SA Claude for LC in the Unofficial Mods list wink.gif.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 June 2006 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jun 13 2006, 22:53)
QUOTE (AK-73 @ Jun 14 2006, 01:22)

What random said ^.

You're Claude model is really awesome - apart from the minor issue of sizing which you mentioned in your last email, I don't think there's anything wrong with it icon14.gif.

And besides, we've already got an SA Claude for LC in the Unofficial Mods list wink.gif.

Still a comparison of the two might bring an improvement, don't you think? After all the SA Claude is geared towards the skins & bones system. I'll download the mod and compare the two Claudes.

Alex

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 15 June 2006 - 08:39 AM

Perhaps. A comparison wouldn't do any harm anyway smile.gif.

I'm not sure exactly, but I thought that the SA Claude looked a fair bit different to GTA3 Claude confused.gif. If that's the case, then I think that we'd stick with GTA3 Claude - the version you've got.

Besides, the work is already done on it, and using the SA Claude provides no benefits for converting prison Claude. But I'll be interested to see what you find icon14.gif.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:02 PM

The SA Claude is much different. He's about 10 years younger and it shows. You can use that model for a referrence of how to do certain things, but the actual model must be based of the GTA3 design.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Jun 15 2006, 17:02)
The SA Claude is much different. He's about 10 years younger and it shows. You can use that model for a referrence of how to do certain things, but the actual model must be based of the GTA3 design.

No, no, I guess I didn't state it publically explicitly enough: I don't do stuff *for* GTA:LC. I'm working on my own mod. I'm only sharing the stuff from my mod that might be interesting for your project with you. You can have a look at it and if you don't think it fits, I have no problem with it not being part of LC. smile.gif

Him looking younger sounds like it's a texture-based difference. Well, we'll see after I've managed to take a look at it (I'm currently busy checking out the .exe source code and learning abit assembler along the way).

Alex

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 13 July 2006 - 05:04 AM

Ok, AK has just sent me all of his final animation files so now we can incorporate them into the game - see this package. It also includes a complete conversion of the normal Claude model, which is more GTA3-ish.

Big thanks to AK for all of his great work - and he still doesn't consider himself a part of the project wow.gif! Well Alex, as far as I'm concerned, you are a part of it, although that doesn't mean you have to be committed to it (unfortunately tounge.gif!).

smile.gif

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Ben @ Jul 13 2006, 05:04)
Ok, AK has just sent me all of his final animation files so now we can incorporate them into the game - see this package.  It also includes a complete conversion of the normal Claude model, which is more GTA3-ish.

Big thanks to AK for all of his great work - and he still doesn't consider himself a part of the project wow.gif!  Well Alex, as far as I'm concerned, you are a part of it, although that doesn't mean you have to be committed to it (unfortunately tounge.gif!).

smile.gif

Yeah, you see I'm very reluctant to get involved in the reproduction of a copyrighted computer game. If the LC project was to transplant the CD check of the GTA3 play CD from GTA3 to LC, it might be different but the way it appears to me, Rockstar Games could pull the plug on this project anytime and the closer the final result actually resembles GTA3 the easier it would be to press charges in court. Not that I think it is likely going to happen if it hasn't happened by now. :-) But if Rockstar was ever to lose some any substantial amount of money due to this project, things might get ugly.

So as a self-protective measure I would make bringing the CD check into Vice (so that you both need Vice and GTA3 to play) my *absolute top-priority* *before all other undertakings*, if only just to be sure, if I was involved deeper in the LC project. smile.gif

Well, having said all that I must admit that I deeply sympathize with the GTA:LC project. smile.gif

Alex

PS Well, to keep the post at least a bit on-topic: I'd like to announce that I'm working on a further refined Claude model that should be finished by the end of this week. smile.gif

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:29 PM Edited by Ben, 17 July 2006 - 10:32 PM.

I'm not sure exactly what the stance on that is - Craig could tell you for sure (when he gets back). But from what I understand, Rockstar is well aware of this project, and has been for ages. They've had numerous opportunities to pull the plug on it, both as a third party and through their contacts with the staff here at GTAF, but they haven't.

The way I see it, if anything, LC is going to generate more revenue for them in the long run. Down here in Oz, you can pick up GTA3 and VC for about $10 each, which is really cheap. If people want the GTA3 audio with LC, they have to have GTA3 - which will boost sales of GTA3. If people have GTA3 and want to play it with helicopters, they're going to want LC, but they need VC to play it - hence boosting sales again. And even if someone has VC yet chooses not to have the GTA3 audio, Rockstar isn't losing a great deal out of that person not purchasing GTA3. Either way, Rockstar is making money - I didn't mention the free advertising they're getting courtesy of us wink.gif. And besides, we're not making any profit out of it, so I can't see what motive Rockstar would have to sue us. I understand your concern, however, and that's fine - no-one's bound to the project in any way smile.gif.

EDIT - But to stay on topic - that's great news regarding the Claude model smile.gif.

AK-73
  • AK-73

Hustler

• Members

Posted 21 July 2006 - 03:30 PM Edited by Ben, 22 July 2006 - 12:42 AM.

QUOTE (Ben @ Jul 17 2006, 22:29)
I'm not sure exactly what the stance on that is - Craig could tell you for sure (when he gets back).  But from what I understand, Rockstar is well aware of this project, and has been for ages.  They've had numerous opportunities to pull the plug on it, both as a third party and through their contacts with the staff here at GTAF, but they haven't.

The way I see it, if anything, LC is going to generate more revenue for them in the long run.  Down here in Oz, you can pick up GTA3 and VC for about $10 each, which is really cheap.  If people want the GTA3 audio with LC, they have to have GTA3 - which will boost sales of GTA3.  If people have GTA3 and want to play it with helicopters, they're going to want LC, but they need VC to play it - hence boosting sales again.  And even if someone has VC yet chooses not to have the GTA3 audio, Rockstar isn't losing a great deal out of that person not purchasing GTA3.  Either way, Rockstar is making money - I didn't mention the free advertising they're getting courtesy of us wink.gif.  And besides, we're not making any profit out of it, so I can't see what motive Rockstar would have to sue us.  I understand your concern, however, and that's fine - no-one's bound to the project in any way smile.gif.

EDIT - But to stay on topic - that's great news regarding the Claude model smile.gif.

Well, LC is probably too insignifcant to be of *any* concern, given the number of GTA sales in comparison to the distribution of LC. smile.gif Whatever the case, if they don't pull the plug, one doesn't even have to know why, no? wink.gif

I've just send you the new Claude .dff, Ben. I think with just a bit more of work put into it, it could reach professional quality - if one was to forget the origins of the model (GTA3 body part objects), that is. smile.gif

Alex

EDIT by Ben - Thanks, Animations package updated smile.gif.

scalliano
  • scalliano

Ice Cold Killa

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

Need a bit of help. As the pager issue has rendered v7 unplayable for me I'm in the process of porting all of the completed peds and actors over to v5b.

My question is: in "Salvatore's Called A Meeting" what's the model name of the character with the suit and shades that was used as the placeholder for Joey? I've gone through all the TXDs and can't pick it out.

Konstantinos
  • Konstantinos

Just passing by

• Members

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (scalliano @ Aug 24 2006, 21:41)
Need a bit of help. As the pager issue has rendered v7 unplayable for me I'm in the process of porting all of the completed peds and actors over to v5b.

My question is: in "Salvatore's Called A Meeting" what's the model name of the character with the suit and shades that was used as the placeholder for Joey? I've gone through all the TXDs and can't pick it out.

Why bother? v6 contains all the characters made after v5, and doesn't have the pager...

Lord Molo
  • Lord Molo

GTA Drifter

• Members

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:50 PM

I have just one question and its kinda stupid.
Is the Darkel model going to be converted? If so, when/where can I download it for a player model for VC?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users