» «
Photo

PEDs/Actors/Animations

231 replies to this topic
Choofy
  • Choofy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:17 PM Edited by Craig Kostelecky, 07 June 2010 - 07:55 PM.

PEDs, Actors, & Animations

This is the new, official, ped topic. The goal is to have an accurate, up-to-date list of all peds in GTA:LC. This post will be updated constantly, and if you have any updates, comments, concerns, whatever, post in here. Just keep it on-topic.

The status of each ped will be updated when any changes occur. Ignore the download links for each individual ped. They are out-of-date and I didn't feel like editting the post to remove those columns. Also, I'm not postive about the status of the default.ide peds.

Useful Links if you are interested in helping:
Blender Script and Tutorial!
Player Editing Tutorial (Using Blender)
3d Studio Max Tutorial

All peds are now converted. Thanks to ModelingMan. Some may need tweaking though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok a few updates maria is looking a lot better almost finished. Joey from the 'salvatores called a meeting' is now joey, nearly finished also. Another generic ped also near final. Tony is very close now too.

--Cole--
  • --Cole--

stfu n00b lol

• Members

Posted 04 December 2005 - 07:28 PM

I have a question about the cutscene actors- why is it that in the cutscenes, nobody's mouth moves? No blinks, facial expressions, nothing. I've been looking at the original GTAIII files (PS2, actually) and it appears that there aren't cutscene actors, but there are their heads, which are set up to be on top of the ingame models and they have all the facial expressions and stuff.

But that's only GTAIII- how do the LC cutscenes work? Are they carbon-copies of the III's, or are they entirely custom-made? Was it drag-n-drop connversion, or rewritten entirely?

It could affect how the cutscenes and cutscene actors are set up to work in LC, and how they are converted.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

GTA:LC Team Leader

• The Connection

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:36 PM

Here's what I understand with the cutscene actors. In GTA3 there are two different models for each character. A body and a head. The animations are stored in the ifp files (in the cuts.img file) and were converted to a Vice City format by Hammer. The heads are also controlled by an opcode that was in GTA3 but was removed from the VC engine.

To figure out how to animate the heads, we'd need to figure out two different things. First we'd need to figure out exactly how to convert the head models. Then we'd need to figure out how to tell the heads to animate.

I'm sure Hammer's reply will be more acurate and detailed though. cool.gif

Hammer83
  • Hammer83

Hustler

• Members

Posted 04 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

VC Engine doesn't support head+body animations that were used in GTA3. All cutscene actors in VC consist of a single model that is animated by the skeleton. GTA3 models were animated by moving different parts of the character model. Head animation was stored in a separate file and this format is not supported by VC engine.

While we were able to automatically convert GTA3 model movements to skeleton movements of GTAVC models, adding support for something that doesn't exist at all (namely head animation files) is much more difficult.

Choofy
  • Choofy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 December 2005 - 11:05 PM

Hi everyone

This is just a information post. I used the full facial boned candy cutscene model and put it in the the asuka 'under surveilance' mission, replacing the non facial boned model. Then altered the .ifp file relevant to the scene, so as one of her eyes move around a little. Going ingame with these alterations gave me a messed up candy model(her armscross), but the eye ball moves(also some facial distortion. Using joey would produce the same effect. It means reanimation of the facial areas in max as well as a heck of a lot of skinning and lipsynching. I for one wouldnt edit the cutscene this way for 10 seconds worth of one cutscene (personally it would take me over a week to do 1 scene, im not quick at animating)but if someone is a fast animation whizz it could be done catloaf_by_anuj.gif Hopefully hammer can work his unreal magic on the anm files to get some usable premade facial animation from gta3, he did impressive work on the ifp convertor tool!

P.s: Hammer is there any chance at all do you think it can be converted?

Hammer83
  • Hammer83

Hustler

• Members

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE (Choofy @ Dec 5 2005, 18:05)
Hi everyone

This is just a information post. I used the full facial boned candy cutscene model and put it in the the asuka 'under surveilance' mission, replacing the non facial boned model. Then altered the .ifp file relevant to the scene, so as one of her eyes move around a little. Going ingame with these alterations gave me a messed up candy model(her armscross), but the eye ball moves(also some facial distortion. Using joey would produce the same effect. It means reanimation of the facial areas in max as well as a heck of a lot of skinning and lipsynching. I for one wouldnt edit the cutscene this way for 10 seconds worth of one cutscene (personally it would take me over a week to do 1 scene, im not quick at animating)but if someone is a fast animation whizz it could be done catloaf_by_anuj.gif Hopefully hammer can work his unreal magic on the anm files to get some usable premade facial animation from gta3, he did impressive work on the ifp convertor tool!

P.s: Hammer is there any chance at all do you think it can be converted?

Last time I looked at anm files (which was a very long time ago), the format didn't appear to be very hard to decipher. In fact I think I did only to forget it now again. The problems with head anims are all technical. While GTA3 body parts have equivalent bones in GTAVC models, there aren't any real counterparts of head animations in there. VC even had separate models for cutscenes and gameplay, where cutscene models had a lot of bones for the face. Since we struggle as is to convert all gameplay peds (although I heard you contributed a lot in this area lately), I don't think dedicated cutscene models in GTALC will appear anytime soon.

Also to take into account the fact that I don't have that much time to work on GTALC these days, so I concenrate on more critical portions. Cutscenes are of acceptable quality in LC right now and most people skip them anyway.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:00 AM

Well Choofy, if you could post a guide on how to do it, perhaps someone who is quicker at animations and has the time to devote to the mod will be able to do it.

Or else someone who helped do the original conversions might be willing to help out again.

Hammer, I know that you said that you're devoting your (very limited) free time to the more important aspects of LC right now. But, this will eventually become one of the more important aspects after the release of Beta2 v6 - Craig indicated that after that, all of the minor bugs would be worked out before a final version is released. I'm fine with this - I hope you can find the time to work on it eventually wink.gif .

Hammer83
  • Hammer83

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:32 AM

I would really not recommend it. There are 90 cutscenes, some of which have 5 or more actors and hundreds of frames per actor. And you have to play around with each frame to animate every part of the head. It is not a good idea trying to do this by hand. If it'll ever be done, it will be automatic.

On the other hand, i once thought a lot of things couldn't be restored properly in LC, yet they live in the mod now. Everything is possible given enough time and motivation.

Choofy
  • Choofy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:37 PM Edited by Choofy, 09 December 2005 - 12:20 AM.

Automated would be the go, but a good animator wouldnt have a problem with it (probably using lip synch tools etc). But for non animators it looks like a huge job, and not worth it. In the hopes a professional shows up heres a brief how to

Use kams max scripts and drag a cutscene model in, the character names starting with CS. Use the skeleton, and replace with your mesh, then skin the body parts. Apply the corresponding .ifp file to it from the cuts.img. Start animating the facial expression,once its done, save your animation to an .ifp replace the old with the new.

To much work really, when its true most players of Lc have completed gta3 heaps of times by now, and dont watch them anyhow. ^^^ good animators dont be put off though catloaf_by_anuj.gif It would be the icing on the cake!

EDIT:Ive been doing a few more peds. But shall await --cole-- to post some finished ones, so we dont coincide in what we do. This list needs updating a bit also, I work off it (yes Im always online in here tounge2.gif ) Ive done about 10, but I find that quite a few on the list that are marked as not started, are already done (some have glitches so thats maybe why?) so those who can update it a little please do smile.gif

--Cole--
  • --Cole--

stfu n00b lol

• Members

Posted 16 December 2005 - 04:25 AM

Don't let me hold you guys back. I can't do a thing untill I can get my copy of 3dsMax working.

Ben
  • Ben

Retired

• Members

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (Choofy @ Dec 8 2005, 03:37)
This list needs updating a bit also, I work off it (yes Im always online in here tounge2.gif ) Ive done about 10, but I find that quite a few on the list that are marked as not started, are already done (some have glitches so thats maybe why?) so those who can update it a little please do smile.gif

I can update it for you Choofy, but I don't know what needs changing. If you can PM a list of changes (don't worry bout the table format, I can do that for you wink.gif ) to me then I'll gladly update it for you. Sorry, I only just saw the edit after reading Cole's new post.

Bebop
  • Bebop

GTA LC Peds Converter

• Members

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (--Cole-- @ Dec 16 2005, 04:25)
Don't let me hold you guys back. I can't do a thing untill I can get my copy of 3dsMax working.

Cole i recomend you to use Blender since is the only one that always worked for me, there is a tutorial made by MM if you need help.

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

Bebop! Where ya been? I missed you colgate.gif

Choofy's moving along nicely with the peds. But another hand could help speed up the process. Do you have any interest in doing any more peds for us? Choofy has the list of the unconverted default.ide peds. And I think I have the list of the unconverted actors. If you're willing to help, there's work to be done! If not, that's cool too. You've already helped us out.

That reminds me, last time I was at silver's site, I read that he converted a few characters including Asuka and Donald Love. I'll have to head over there to see if he can send me what he did. There's no use in multiple people converting the same models.

Bebop
  • Bebop

GTA LC Peds Converter

• Members

Posted 20 December 2005 - 12:37 AM Edited by benisablink182fan, 16 April 2006 - 09:19 AM.

Maybe ill do a couple of actors later when i get a VC and gta3 copy.
There's been a great advance while i left. biggrin.gif

Posts combined.

The list is out of date you know

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:27 AM

Yeah, I'm lazy with updating the posts. blush.gif

Choofy has an up-to-date list of the default.ide peds, I think. But the actors list is close to updated.

Bebop
  • Bebop

GTA LC Peds Converter

• Members

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:07 AM

I fixed Luigi's leg a while ago just check for the last luigi's update in the old peds topic. bored.gif

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:58 AM

Here's what I found after digging through the old topic. On this page you have 2 Luigi downloads. Both are just dff fixes. And I didn't see any mention of the leg so I don't know if that's what was fixed or not. And I'm away from my GTA computer, so I'm not in a position to test it right now.

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:01 PM

I have Attempted a Few player conversions of my own... all with less than perfect results, but a good learning process for me along the way

-Asuka
She works actualy Quite well, but there are issues with her neck/head, the neck appears to stretch to much i think... also her hands do not hold the stick she beats miqel with during the Bait cutscence... i do not know if this is a animation problem or a weight boneing issue
Click Here to download Her (save target as)
-Donald Love (track suit)
ive tried several times to get him to work, everytime his hands appear to be very corrupted and he doesnt work right at all...
-The 2 Prosistues
ive gotten both to work ingame, but their arms are very stick-like and are unreleasic, i dont think it can be improved unless someone re-makes the arms.. also thier arms tend to pass though their bodys when they walk because they're moving their hips back and forth
-8Ball
as well with choofy i got him ingame, works fine except his hands go though his legs when he sits in a car... when they are supposed to be resting ontop of his legs
-Old Gentelman 1st cutscence
The old guy in the orange jail suit the columbians take from the enforcer that claude and 8ball are in, ive also gotten to work, if i remeber straight, issues with his hands going though is body
-the 2 Columbians in the first cutscene
ive tried the both of the Columbians that are suppose to be in the first cutscence (right now they are normal Columbians members, they are actualy differant)
both have issuses with holding their m16's that are stored with the model... the m16... ill get a screen to show you later
-Micky
Gotten him ingame, but i boned him wrong... need to re-do him

anways, thats who ive tried to get ingame... and my results, so yes, ive been busy...

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

I can't get the Asuka link to download. Of the ones you've done, I'd like to see Asuka, Donald Love, and the 2 Colombians. The rest we have in game (and they look alright).

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:00 PM

Try This Link (no log-in/save target or anything, straight download)

if not

Try This Fileplanet Link

ill get examples of the the Colombians up soon..

GTAThomas
  • GTAThomas

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:25 PM Edited by benisablink182fan, 28 December 2005 - 12:46 AM.

silver? banned? nvm. those new links work great and i have gotten them ingame. i was looking for these actors a while ago...

EDIT by Ben - No. silver unbanned tounge.gif !

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

I forgot to mention, I checked out Asuka (in the Grand Theft Aero mission) and she looks good. Good work, silver.

Bebop
  • Bebop

GTA LC Peds Converter

• Members

Posted 29 December 2005 - 01:46 AM

I think is the last luigi update. If is not, anyone can import and exports the model just how it is, and i will get fixed, i tried before.

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 30 December 2005 - 01:51 AM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Dec 29 2005, 18:40)
I haven't seen a download for Donald Love yet. Have you, Thomas?

If he has, it anit mine.....

but for example purposes

Here are the 2 Columbians and the tracksuit Donald Love

i will stress that all 3 are glitched and are not ment to be included with LC as of yet

like i said, Donald is severaly glitched even though ive boned him just like every other model ive tested....
the Columbians dont hold their M1s right and may be glitched in other places

but atleast these are a start for anyone else who wants to work on them, i currently do not have GTA:LC installed due to a mod im doing which i need VC installed for, once its finished (only one bug to fix) i will re-install LC and try to fix these peds and work on more

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:03 AM

Are you low on HD space (so that you can only have one VC copy at any time)?

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (Craig Kostelecky @ Dec 29 2005, 22:03)
Are you low on HD space (so that you can only have one VC copy at any time)?

thanks to me not being PC literate, and my mother being the one who ordered this PC, we have 18.5GB of space, which is down to about a little over 1GB right now, with my GTA modding, and music, and programs installed, and my mother and sister with their music and stuff... our space is down to mininum, i constantly have to back up files to free up space...

VC inst even installed on my main drive, i received a 3GB drive from my school because we were disasembling older computers to be given away, and some computers were unusable for one reason or another so they had extra drives laying around, VC is installed on that drive... pain in the ass i know but not much i can do at this moment, the only other drive in the house would be the one i have in the PC in my room, 500 megabytes of disk space... a CD can hold more than it..

but like i said im almost done..

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:05 AM

Funny. My main LC folder (I also have 2 backup folders) is 3.92 GB. That's one of the reasons I have over 400 GB of HD space.

By the way, I tried plugging in your new peds into my image, and I get a crash with all of them now. cry.gif

--Cole--
  • --Cole--

stfu n00b lol

• Members

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:50 AM

Hey Silver, good to see you back. By the way, a good alternative option for disk space is to get an external hard drive, as I did. It's just as fast as a regular drive and holds more than I'll ever need (80GB), including 7 or 8 different modded copies of VC, (MTA, VC, LC, LN, Myriad, etc..) and some 90-odd hours of music. It cost me $110 online, it came in a week, and best of all, I can use it on any computer, (especially ones that aren't even mine!) Its a good option, you should look into it, especially in your dire situation. (my reasons were more convenience, rather than neccesity.)

Craig Kostelecky
  • Craig Kostelecky

• The Connection

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:48 AM

Has there been any updates here lately? I haven't seen anything new since silver's last contribution. By the way, I don't think I ever said this, but some of the files in silver's last update were the GTA3 files and not the VC/LC ones. Could you please resend the correct files for me silver (the two Colombians and Donald Love in the tracksuit)

ModelingMan
  • ModelingMan

Crackalacking!

• Members

Posted 25 January 2006 - 03:00 PM

It'd be great if it were possible to just simply transfer the models and animations from III to LC, I'm not saying it isn't possible but still, it would save alot of time and would look perfect.

(Maybe something to add to my "things to hack" list).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users