Photo

[WIP] IPL Editor

455 replies to this topic
BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:06 PM

If you'd like someone to review your interface and give ideas, I'd be willing to help out. Although I'm a pretty shoddy programmer, I get good feedback from people who use my various application interfaces. From the screenshots, your interface design is very clean and professional but there seems to be a lack of resizability in dialogue windows.

Using a standard menu bar across the top is a great way to organise all the features into a simple control which every PC user is familiar with. It also helps to organise your code, as you have events like mnuFileOpen and mnuFileClose which then call out to global processes. It means that when you want to find where your code is for doing something, you can just look at the menu event rather than looking through the code for all your other controls. smile.gif

Menus also provide an easy way for fast keyboard shortcuts which are easily discoverable. The user can see the shortcut by looking at each menu item, instead of looking through a clumsy "readme.txt" and trying to match up the items it describes with their position on the interface. An organised menu bar using standardised terms and more flexibility in the dialogues are the two main improvements I'd suggest. Using a menu bar means you could clear some controls out of the main area so the viewport could be bigger, too.

A toolbar for common operations (New, Open, Close, Save, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, opening property views, setting viewport mode, etc) could be worth looking into.

tonywob
  • tonywob

[WIP] Modder

• Members

Posted 08 November 2005 - 10:50 PM

@cerbera

Any tips you could give would be excellent, I'm still fiddling around with the interface, so it will change alot before I eventually release it. The contol area and 3d view are all resizable and dockable, i.e. You can seperate each area into separate windows, simlar to Flash MX and Photoshop

I have basic map editing working and have tested this in GTA III and Vice City. It will work in San Andreas once I have added an option for LOD Parents. I have disabled binary IPL editing in San Andreas, but it works just as well using normal text files.

Basically, you load up the required map files you want to see and the navigate to the area you wish to mod.
user posted image

You then add the IDE files into the relevant IPL file using a browser interface, you can also right-click on an IDE object and select add to map. You can also add your own IDE objects as long as you have added them into the image archive and created .col files (I intend to make this alot easier!! smile.gif )
user posted image

You then adjust the object either by dragging it around the screen, or using the controls in the dialog:
user posted image

You then continue to add objects in a similar fashion.
user posted imageuser posted image

As you can see, there is still alot of work todo. I need to finish my image archiver which does work, it's just slow. I want copy and paste support which means you can easily create duplicates of objects. Dragging Objects is still a little weird, but it works!!. I have reduced memory usage down and it is now much faster.

Not sure of a release date yet, I just don't feel it is even ready for an alpha release. I am easily distracted by my PSP and LCS

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:41 PM

biggrin.gif just awesome dude and we will just wait till you got everything worked out. The thing i only need is a SA mapper that can add objects like moomapper did i hope you get that working soon.

Alizee
  • Alizee

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:25 PM

Good work man ! blush.gif

tonywob
  • tonywob

[WIP] Modder

• Members

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:13 PM Edited by tonywob, 09 November 2005 - 07:21 PM.

QUOTE (aad @ Nov 9 2005, 13:41)
biggrin.gif just awesome dude and we will just wait till you got everything worked out. The thing i only need is a SA mapper that can add objects like moomapper did i hope you get that working soon.

Good News for San Andreas map editing smile.gif, I now have map editing working, here a couple of examples:

Firstly we load the relevant area, in this case Grove Street which is easy to find in the game, ( I will add a bookmark feature, since the SA map is huge.)

user posted image
I have added copy and paste support, so you right-click on the object you want on the map, in this case the damaged car, and then paste it to it's new area. You can rotate it, etc using the mouse or dialog controls.

You can also easily add objects using the IDE Object browser, in this case I have added a generic tree object, although this can be any object you have created Item Definitions for

I then did a couple of copy and pastes to turn grove street into a forest
user posted image

and then saved and loaded the game:

You cannot edit binary IPL files atm, however you can copy and paste them. I also need to add a delete option, which is harder in San Andreas since all LOD parents will need to be remapped.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:17 PM

Great to see it really coming together. Keep up the good work cookie.gif cookie.gif

Supdario
  • Supdario

Prankster

• Members

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

OH MY GOD wow.gif
This is, simply.... AWESOME!!! wow.gif

I can't wait

bigrazzer
  • bigrazzer

Modeller and Texture Artist

• Members

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

i agree OMFG!!! absolutly Amazing!!!! inlove.gif inlove.gif inlove.gif

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:21 PM Edited by mickarrow, 10 November 2005 - 12:06 AM.

You're doing one hell of a job here smile.gif And fast progress too.

Have some cookie.gif cookie.gif

edit: over 1600 views since this topic was started. I think that says enough wink.gif

RainingAcid
  • RainingAcid

Hustler

• Members

Posted 10 November 2005 - 02:54 AM

Yes! What fun! Boy this will be one my new comp for sure!!!

Denis_Akinshin
  • Denis_Akinshin

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:41 AM

QUOTE (Yegorchic @ Nov 2 2005, 17:30)
QUOTE (AleXXX @ Nov 2 2005, 17:19)
BIG thanks from Russian GTA-mapping community. 

Very BIG... 

And ukrainien also!   

Yeah! We wait this Tool =D Hehe.... My Dream Sydney International Airport happy.gif

wauzie
  • wauzie

GTI + MI

• Members

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:32 AM

Fantastic man smile.gif. Will your tool be able to copy / select more than one object(s) at the time? I really like to have that function....biggrin.gif.

Keep up the good work wink.gif.

Towel
  • Towel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

I wan this IPL Viewer please give me Alpha version of this tool

dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif

tonywob
  • tonywob

[WIP] Modder

• Members

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (wauzie @ Nov 10 2005, 06:32)
Fantastic man smile.gif. Will your tool be able to copy / select more than one object(s) at the time? I really like to have that function....biggrin.gif.

Keep up the good work wink.gif.

It doesn't do that at the moment, but I will eventually implement it smile.gif

@Any mods, can you rename this topic IPL Editor instead of IPLViewer, thanks

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (tonywob @ Nov 10 2005, 06:14)
@Any mods, can you rename this topic IPL Editor instead of IPLViewer, thanks

Done smile.gif icon14.gif

gtasanandreasguy
  • gtasanandreasguy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:17 PM

/me wants ph34r.gif icon14.gif

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:21 PM

Damn, this is great I think I'll use it to wink.gif waiting....-Slurp Slurp, Hmmm... Sprunk!

ParoXum
  • ParoXum

Proud PC Gamer

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:57 PM

I'm already dreamin of using this tool ^^

Good work, you work very fast !

RainingAcid
  • RainingAcid

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 November 2005 - 02:05 AM

Must have!!!

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 11 November 2005 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (tonywob @ Nov 9 2005, 20:13)
I also need to add a delete option, which is harder in San Andreas since all LOD parents will need to be remapped.

Might be better to store the object references hierarchically (i.e. pointer to parent) so deleting objects doesn't change anything, and rebuild the entire ipl on saving. How do you store them now?

tonywob
  • tonywob

[WIP] Modder

• Members

Posted 11 November 2005 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (steve-m @ Nov 11 2005, 11:20)
QUOTE (tonywob @ Nov 9 2005, 20:13)
I also need to add a delete option, which is harder in San Andreas since all LOD parents will need to be remapped.

Might be better to store the object references hierarchically (i.e. pointer to parent) so deleting objects doesn't change anything, and rebuild the entire ipl on saving. How do you store them now?

Each IPL File is loaded into it's own object class, which handles all deletion, moving, and exporting back to a file. A bad design choice on my part was to initially export changes immediately back to a file. I have changed this now, but it left alot of mess in my code confused.gif.

Deletion works fine now, since the class regenerates its own files.

RainingAcid
  • RainingAcid

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 November 2005 - 10:20 PM

Can you give us an release date?

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci Racing

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (RainingAcid @ Nov 11 2005, 17:20)

presumably when it's in a releasble state. Commiting to a specific date can put undue stress on the author.

tonywob
  • tonywob

[WIP] Modder

• Members

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (ashdexx @ Nov 13 2005, 00:26)
QUOTE (RainingAcid @ Nov 11 2005, 17:20)

presumably when it's in a releasble state. Commiting to a specific date can put undue stress on the author.

My thoughts exactly, smile.gif. Rushing things causes problems later, as I have learnt. Unfortuatenly I won't be able to do much this week due to work commitments, but I will release it when it is a useable state. Which I am estimating at the end of the month.

gtasanandreasguy
  • gtasanandreasguy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:22 PM Edited by gtasanandreasguy, 25 November 2005 - 10:32 AM.

up up up i want it

madness.productions
  • madness.productions

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:53 AM

Will you be releasing any earlier beta versions. Just to see what where up for in the final releases.

tonywob
  • tonywob

[WIP] Modder

• Members

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE (madness.productions @ Nov 20 2005, 07:53)
Will you be releasing any earlier beta versions. Just to see what where up for in the final releases.

Yes, I will have an alpha release pretty soon, just expect it to be buggy.

I haven't done much last week, but I will try to get back to work this week. I added a TXD viewer, and DFF properties view to the IDE File editor, I have also reworked the way changes are made.

I've added support for Time Controlled Objects, and also made it alot faster smile.gif

GT.Killer
  • GT.Killer

Member Of Alien Race

• Members

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:11 PM

Great! cant wait for getting my hands on my "mod blueprints" notify.gif

Supdario
  • Supdario

Prankster

• Members

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:22 PM

I really must have it for mapping notify.gif

Azekriel
  • Azekriel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:40 AM

so, when you are gonna realease the beta version of mapper.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users