Photo

Ipod Nano with Napster

10 replies to this topic
Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 October 2005 - 10:58 PM

My brother is thinking of getting an Ipod Nano. At PSU, he gets unlimited (free) Napster (2.0) usage. It is crucial to him that Napster works with it, otherwise, he'll have to burn music CD's and rip them in Itunes.

Thx to anyone who responds. rah.gif

Colotomy Headwind
  • Colotomy Headwind

Tha Clown

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 October 2005 - 11:00 PM

Isn't the point of Napster to download MP3 files? Unless it's like iTunes and "locks" music that you download (easy to get around), there's no reason he shouldn't be able to put them on an iPod. I'm sure Napster would allow you to do this, else they'd be risking losing a lot of their users.

Bond996
  • Bond996

[INSERT MEMBER TITLE HERE]

• Members

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:50 AM

Nope. Napster downloads will only work on a Windows DRM'ed device. It sounds like your brother has unlimitied downloads from Napster, but no CD-burning or putting on unauthorized players is allowed. Only certain enabled devices work. You still need to pay .79 to be able to burn it to be able to import it. Most music stores who offer major record labels do however DRM their music in some way to limit burns, and what players you can put them on.

So basically, any music store other then iTunes will not work with an iPod, but will work with most other new players.

Colotomy- The OLD Napster (illegal version), allowed you to download mp3's from a central server.

gta_player5
  • gta_player5

Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:06 AM

download on Napster, then transfer the music files to iTunes and upload onto iPod.
Im not sure if it will work with what ever he has, unlimited napster downloads, but it works when i use it with bearshare.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:59 AM

QUOTE (Bond996 @ Oct 7 2005, 20:50)
Nope. Napster downloads will only work on a Windows DRM'ed device. It sounds like your brother has unlimitied downloads from Napster, but no CD-burning or putting on unauthorized players is allowed. Only certain enabled devices work. You still need to pay .79 to be able to burn it to be able to import it. Most music stores who offer major record labels do however DRM their music in some way to limit burns, and what players you can put them on.

So basically, any music store other then iTunes will not work with an iPod, but will work with most other new players.

Colotomy- The OLD Napster (illegal version), allowed you to download mp3's from a central server.

Wait a second. Napster charges to burn the music you've already paid for to download?
I'm at their site now and there is the 99cent Store; 99cents per song and then 80cents per song to burn it. That is crap. Atleast with iTunes when you pay 99cents for a song you keep it until you freakin die, "...the iTunes Music Store eliminates the hassle of subscription services...files that won’t disappear at the end of the month, or ever."

Tell your brother to tell Naspter to get lost and switch to iTunes Music Store, plus he'll be able to use any iPod product with iTunes. And you can burn the music a few number of times, I think it's like 7 or 8 times, and it does not cost anything extra.

_-playero-_
  • _-playero-_

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:16 AM

Use limewire.... inlove.gif

Just kidding, thats wrong and illegal...

But, you can put any kind of mp3 file into your iPod right?

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

I drink and I smash because i love

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:46 AM

i do belive this image from the napster site relates to your question

user posted image

with napster, if you want to burn music to a CD, you have to pay for the song. if you want to send it to a "compatible" mp3 players, you have to pay for "napster to go" for 15 bucks a month rather than the 10 bucks a month for normal napster

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:25 AM

So working off of that image...

iTunes; 10,000 songs with the iPod. How much does it cost you to burn those 10,000 songs to CD (not including the price of the CDRs) after you've already bought them? NOTHING and it cost you that each of the 7 or 8 times you want to burn them. You stop buying from iTunes Music Store month later; oh look you can still listen to, transfer to your iPod and burn your music.

Napster; 10,000 songs on a MP3 device. How much does cost you to burn those 10,000 songs to CD (again not including the price of CDRs) after you've already paid $15 for them (that's assuming of course you were able to download 10,000 songs in 1 month). 10,000 x 0.80 = $8,000. Uh-oh your backed up CDs were stolen/lost/damaged and you have to burn them again, add another $8,000. Oh no, it happened again, another $8,000 please.
Oh hell you had to cancel your subscription AND your back-ups were FUBAR'ed again, now you're really screwed.

"Do the math. How much will it cost you to fill up your player AND back-up your music?"

And before anyone things I'm crazy about the burning 3 times thing; hey I've many people on here talk about losing their music, having their little brother/sister damage a game CD (so it can also happen to their music), having their house broken into and burned down. So it's not so crazy

Colotomy Headwind
  • Colotomy Headwind

Tha Clown

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:47 AM

Wow, all this has really opened my eyes to how belligerent (albeit utterly hopeless) they are at completely phasing out pirating. Of course, they're not starting at the source: leaks. All they do is try to shut down websites and make music downloaded for 99 cents or free from a can of Coke harder to share, while people using Bittorrent get major releases weeks before they're put into stores.

Oh well, they've tried. You can always phase out the first layer of idiots who don't know how to pirate properly and make everybody think you're "saving" the music industry. wink.gif

Bond996
  • Bond996

[INSERT MEMBER TITLE HERE]

• Members

Posted 08 October 2005 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (wolf68k @ Oct 8 2005, 00:59)
QUOTE (Bond996 @ Oct 7 2005, 20:50)

Wait a second. Napster charges to burn the music you've already paid for to download?
I'm at their site now and there is the 99cent Store; 99cents per song and then 80cents per song to burn it. That is crap. Atleast with iTunes when you pay 99cents for a song you keep it until you freakin die, "...the iTunes Music Store eliminates the hassle of subscription services...files that won’t disappear at the end of the month, or ever."

Tell your brother to tell Naspter to get lost and switch to iTunes Music Store, plus he'll be able to use any iPod product with iTunes. And you can burn the music a few number of times, I think it's like 7 or 8 times, and it does not cost anything extra.

Napster offers a $.99 download scheme exactly like iTunes, but with perhaps different burning/other comptuer rights, but still full player supprt. But you CAN burn. They also have $15 a month to buy you unlimited downloads ONLY for use on computer and Windows-based player. The player must also be sync'ed frequently for it to still work with the licsense. They will then charge only .80 for burning rights. The .99 download can be burned an unlimited amount of times.

playero - All properly created mp3's will play on an ipod.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 08 October 2005 - 04:40 PM

So, I guess the answer is no, he'll have to switch to Itunes to get it working with a nano. I just told him to get an mp3 player like Mine. His current one works with napster right now, so that's why I was wondering if he could jsut use an Ipod Nano.

Thx rah.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users