» «
Photo

Some GTA Sandy Probems

No replies to this topic
NorthwestRastafarian
  • NorthwestRastafarian

Doughnuts are a 10-80 in your mouth.

• Members

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:12 AM Edited by NorthwestRastafarian, 03 October 2005 - 10:16 AM.

Alright, first the basics of my machine:

Gateway 7400 Series laptop
Mobile AMD Athlon 64 processor 3400+
793 MHz, 1.00 GB of Ram
Windows XP Home ( I know, ugh ) version 2002 Service Pack 2
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700 series

Main local disc: 70.3 gig Harddrive/1.94 Gigs free (w/ gta:sandy* installed)
Backup local disc 4.19 gig/1.65 gig free

*My stupid abbreviated version of San Andreas, if it isn't obvious.

The Problem:

3 days ago, I was using ultimate editor to change some weapon names and some clothing stuff as well, and I messed something up in the game, it wouldn't load. So, I just uninstalled it, figureing it was something related to an IMG which I don't have enough discspace to back up on a regular basis. Looking back, after looking into some of the editing I did, I think I may have just set a clothing Respect value higher than you are supposed to.

Anyway, when I selected 'Restart Now' after I uninstalled the game, the computer went into it's shutdown mode, then froze up. After I rebooted it, it popped up some wierdo error like 'Couldn't find a registery file to open up a user profile' at the login dialouge. It let me log in, however, but everything in the user specific areas (My Docs, My Music (over 50 gigs of it) etc.) was gone, and the address read C:\temp\my documents or something abnormal like that, indicitive of the files still being in the memory, so I did the first thing that came to mind and ran a system restore to 2 days before I uninstalled Sandy, which seemed the obvious cause of the trouble.

After the system restore, everything seemed normal, so I started regaining the work I had lost with the 2 day rollback (which was basically one file) and then went to GTA Sandy to see how it ran. The files were gone, though, the uninstall stuck. However, the machine still thought it WAS installed, so I went in and tryed to uninstall it again and got the error RUNDLL 'Error loading C:\PROGRAM~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\RunTime\10\50\Intel32\Ctor.dll' The specified module could not be found.'

Fine, I still remember some stuff from my Computer Science Advanced Individual Training back in the day, I went into the registry and deleted the settings that said it was on the machine, then I reinstalled it, and restarted.

When I rebooted, I was holding my breath for the user specific error, but I had moved all my user specific files into a file in the local disc so that I wouldn't risk their deletion. However, when I went to start GTA Sandy, I got an error saying I couldn't start w/o the vorbisfile.dll. Fine. I got ahold of the dll from a dll site, and put it in the system area, and then hit the sandy exe again, this time I got the error 'gta_sa.exe - Entry Point Not Found - (X) The procedure entry point vorbis_window could not be located in the dynamic link library vorbis.dll'

So what I assume is happening here is that for some reason my install didn't get all the needed files in to the system; specifically, all the OGG Vorbis stuff, maybe more. I assume that a full uninstall and reinstall of the program would solve the issue, but again, when I attempted to uninstall I got the same error as before.

So instead of f**cking anything else up, I came here to see if I could get better support.

Edit: I put this in here rather than the troubleshooting thread because the problems are not oriented with the game itself but (seemingly) the registry and the PC itself.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users