» «
Photo

Copying Harddrive to New Harddrive

4 replies to this topic
Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 02 October 2005 - 08:52 PM Edited by Fozzy Fozborne, 02 October 2005 - 08:55 PM.

My current 40 GB harddrive wasn't cutting it, so I went to Circuit City, and looked through the selection, and we saw a 120 GB for $40. (is that a really good deal?) And I bought it.
The installation (as slave) was a snap, and it was running in less than 5 minutes. It restarted after I installed it and started the program included (DiscWizard for Windows).
It created the partition, and the next screen said "copying files to new harddrive from old harddrive." But it froze, I let it go for more than 1/2 hour, but it didn't even fill one block. I clicked cancel, and it said "the program is not responding, would you like it to continue, or end now?" I clicked end now, and it didn't copy any of the files.
I restarted my comp, and tried it again, same results. Then I tried reinstalling it, same. Last try I booted the computer from the CD included, I went into DOS and it said "CAUTION Do not run program in DOS if you have an operating system installed, it may corrupt your current partition, use windows version instead" I stopped there, as to not ruin my computer.

I know that the harddrive is installed correctly, I can copy files from my primary harddrive using explorer, and the media files play perfectly in WMP.

Current Harddrive: Maxtor 6L040J2 DiamondMax Plus D740X
Storage 37 GB
Rotational speed - 7,200 RPM
2MB Buffer
Spin-Up Time 15 sec

New Harddrive: Seagate ST3120026A Here
Storage 112 GB
Rotational Speed 7,200 RPM
8MB Buffer
Spin-Up Time 8 sec

What other program could I use to copy all my files from my old one to my new one, for back-up purposes?

Oh and sorry that was so boring, I wanted to be detailed.

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

I drink and I smash because i love

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 October 2005 - 10:29 PM

since you have 1 maxtor hard drive in the mix, you can make yourself a Maxblast 4 cd, and boot with it allowing you to make a 1:1 copy.

maxblast is merely a normal paid program, offered free by maxtor, but can only be used with a maxtor hard drive in the system.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:16 AM Edited by wolf68k, 03 October 2005 - 04:21 AM.

Did the new drive come with a CD or was it basicly OEM?
If it came with a CD, that CD should be bootable and you can use to not only format the drive but it should also do a disc-to-disc copy.

I know with my Maxtor, and from what I've seen of the software you can download from Seagate and WD, when you format the drive at one step it'll ask you if this is a new boot or additional storage.
New boot setting if it sees a Master and it as an OS then after formatting it'll automaticly do the disc-to-disc copy. If there is no other drive with an OS on it, it'll just format the drive so that it can be a bootable drive, not that this is really needed these days with XP and Linux which can format the drive from thier CD.
Additional storage setting it'll just do the format and that's it

Since the new is the Seagate, I would suggest using their software to format the drive and do the work
I could be wrong but I believe this is the right one http://www.seagate.c...rs/discwiz.html get the "DiscWizard Starter Edition" which will create a floppy to boot from.

I would like to offer up this idea.....
If the current Master drive is still running strong with no problems at all, then leave it be. If space is the issue and you have games installed on it, then back up any nesseccary game files (game profiles, save games, whatever) and uninstall the game(s). Then reinstall the games but when the installer ask where to install them point it to the new drive.
You'll free up the space on the C and make life easier....ok yes uninstalling and reinstalling is a pain, but I'd rather live with a few moments of pain and time wasted to get back tons of space.

Sutto
  • Sutto

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:44 AM

Take out the old HDD and set the new to master, then install XP (assuming that's what you're using). Then once you have updated, installed drivers and antivirus software etc, turn off the PC and put your old 40gig HDD in as slave. When you turn it back on, under my computer your old HDD will be there, and you can copy the files over to where you want them on the new HDD.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:24 PM

Sorry I was away for so long, I was busy.

I tried Sip's way of doing it (Maxblast 4) and in less than 15 minutes, I had a perfect backup of my C drive.

The Seagate was described as an "upgrade package" and it included a new cable (still using the previous one), 10 jumpers, and the Discwizard Software CD, and the drive. The program that was freezing before was the Discwizard.

So, I guess that's it, and thanks for all your help. rah.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users