Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:05 PM

Ok. An idea for illSTA:

user posted image

I saw its location is just opposite to SR's docks so it would make some sense to have docks on the west side of this island. I think it also makes sense for it to be industrial and have some factories and maby an oil deport type of thing.

I think the station should be right in the center of the island as thats what its for.

The roads their are just random... but there is the idea for a bridge or maby the island could only be reachable by boat/swimming or train....

I could make this island out of what I started to work on a while back:

user posted image

icon14.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 28 December 2005 - 03:09 PM Edited by Cerbera, 31 December 2005 - 05:29 PM.

This was the previous full design I made, Idea 05:
user posted image
1500 x 1500, 246kB.

To accommodate the overhead railway on Necrosis, I refined illspirit's suggested alteration to the South-west section of illRES:
user posted image
1024 x 965, 205kB.

Here's a side view of the alteration:
user posted image
1367 x 206, 59.9kb.

If Respawn insists upon using his railway bridge from East Necrosis to the North-west of illCOM, we will have a serious problem trying to get the railway across illCOM. There are tall buildings along whole the North of illCOM so we can't try and go over them. The corners of the illCOM highway are far too sharp to run a railway over and the pavements are too narrow to put railway supports on them, so we can't really follow the highway South and come off the East coast. There's a huge Marina in the North-east, so we can't run the railway across there either because the supports would block the marina boats.

The North-west station on illCOM is unworkable, imho. If we can find a feasible route from East Necrosis to illSTA, the railway can go around illCOM, through illSTA and exit from the North of illSTA. We won't need to redesign the Northern islands route again if we can exit from the north of illSTA and the railway route will be pretty much solved. smile.gif

Maybe this will work, Idea 06:
user posted image
1500 x 1500, 245kB.

JasonB
  • JasonB

GTA-SA/GTA-VC/GTA3 Modder Extraordinaire

• Members

Posted 31 December 2005 - 10:18 AM

@Knife:
The original idea for illSTA was to have it as a large train station with a small shopping complex and cafes and such around, with a large underground road/carpark that links upto the tunnel on my island. Additionally the island was artificial. So a run-downish industrial isn't suited to the idea of the island.

Concerning the track from Necrosis to illcom, two available options are:
*The one Cerb pointed out (having the track curve south at the east coast of Necrosis and go around illsub)

OR

*Have the track follow the main highway south around illcom, then continue on the intended track. This has a few problems as the first curves to get onto the road and then curving down south would be pretty sharp, and maintaining a fun and realistic track is still our goal here. Also there is the problem of supports, the road is far too wide to have pylons on either side on the road supporting a beam on which the track lies, and a central pylon in the centre of the road wouldn't work for this sort of track or train, and in all likelihood, idiot AI drivers would crash into them.

Given the flaws pointed out in following the illcom highway, I find myself agreeing with Cerb again. Additionally, having the track go past illcom gives a better view from the train, and the variation in the track there makes it more fun, so it's win, win.

Assuming Respawn agrees with the track ending from east Necrosis, I think we after some final lookovers and alterations and deciding on station positions, we will be good to go smile.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:26 PM

Just so it's on record, I PM'ed and Emailed Respawn on the 31st of December 2005. Now it's a case of waiting for him to respond, I guess. Hopefully it won't be another month and a half.

JasonB
  • JasonB

• Members

Posted 09 January 2006 - 10:38 AM

While we are waiting for Respawn to get back to us in regards to the train plans, I would like to pitch an idea.

I think we should utilise the second train track available to us and build a subway. The subway, in my opinion should link together either:
*Areas that weren't connected by the train (the one this topic has been about thusfar). At the moment this is limited to GTI and my island. I'm not keen on this though.
*Commercial districts. This would be my island, illcom and GTI. GTI and my island don't have direct train access, and since they are both busy districts, mass public transport is a must.

A subway wouldn't be much trouble to plan or model (I would like to do the work, if it goes ahead) as it can simply go under the city, and avoid basements and whatnot here and there, and just have a little stairway in a few areas for entrance into the subway station.

The only problem I can think of is that the subway train would be the tram train, and that is pretty slow and you cant enter it. Hopefully a workaround or hack for the tram can be found. Or we can just have the remodelled tram running or nothing, and claim that the subway is under renovation or it is a new civil works project and still under construction, but enterable.

I'd have drawn up a potential route and stops, but I don't know where GTI is going.

Discuss.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 09 January 2006 - 01:37 PM

I think we should concentrate entirely on the above-ground railway. We don't even have a confirmed route for it, so we don't where where passenger exchanges between the systems would go. Additionally, I think the subway should not go in until the middle or end of 2006 because new islands (such as Fun World) may be introduced and the subway would be our last chance to give these islands any railway access.

If we do have subway, I think we should make it like a flatter version of the GTA3 system, where there are two wide tracks in a high tunnel with a median large enough for a fat person to fit between two trains. I think the tram would be unsuitable because it does not seem to stop, it does not seem enterable and does not seem possible for the user to take control over it. If it can behave like the GTASA train, or at least like the GTA3 train, then it would be worth running a train in the subway.

If a second train won't have decent train behaviour, I think the "under construction" idea would be brilliant. The tunnels would all be complete but some of the stations would just be concrete shells. One side of the tunnel would not have any tracks or sleepers, allowing for high speeds to be reached when driving in the tunnels.

The overground railway is the priority. A subway route shouldn't be planned until the long-term future of the landscape is confirmed, since a subway would be our last shot at adding railway links to new land. Once MI gets into GTASA, the future of Fun World is decided, the positions of GTI and Orchid are finalised, any new islands are confirmed and the project as a whole becomes active again, that would be a good time to start planning the subway.

JasonB
  • JasonB

• Members

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:23 PM

Well, there are only two available train paths for us, the path for useable trains and one for trams. However, since the idea of a subway is still in the idea stage, we don't need to worry too much about getting the tram to behave properly (and I swear I've seen it stop, but that might be because it was slowed down because of vehicles in its path).

Agreed that we shouldn't go planning subway routes, and certainly the overhead train is a priority, but I'm just laying potential future plans out incase we want to pursue them. A route couldn't possibly be planned for the subway yet, we need confirmation of the positions of all islands that are being made. The only other island that I know for certain where it's going is mine, which is going east of illcom. As for others, I havn't a clue.

And I definately think Fun World should make a comeback, I was very disappointed when the project was shelved.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 January 2006 - 04:28 PM

Grand tani islands will be on the right of the north islands and then thats all the confirmed islands and probably the only islands that a train track would be connected to.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 10 January 2006 - 06:32 PM

Fun World should be part of the subway if it restarts for the GTASA edition of Myriad Islands. It was Odie's idea to make some sort of a "Fun World" project. Having a place in MI to get away from driveby shootings and losing all your money on the lottery, where you can just ride around on ferris wheels and rollercoasters and it, would be a nice tribute to him, imho. smile.gif

It could be the most recent island in the MI district, built after the other islands became successful to encourage tourism. This would explain why the main railway doesn't go to it, since that would have been needed to be built long before the city could have grown prosperous enough to afford the construction of an island theme part.

But for the time being, the overground railway is the priority. I still havn't had any response from Respawn. The PM message tracker says he hasn't read the PM I sent him on the 31st of December, I havn't received a response to the Email I sent him on that date either. He hasn't even visited GTAF on Demember 21st, so I hope nothing bad has happened...

REspawn
  • REspawn

REgent

• Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

Evening all, im still alive, thanks for the concerns Cerbera wink.gif

Went back to college this week after the x-mass break so bit of stuff that had to be gotten out of the way, i had to clean up my hd a bit the other week so will need to dig out the screens of the train test.

As far as changing the tracks around necrosis goes, basically you can move it anyway you guys want, i can worry about the tracks in the middle and where they run.
The only things that need to be concidered it the points the track enter and exit necrosis, the entry / exit point at the top (north) of the island can be anywhere u guys want, because i have only a few things finished there so thats easy to work with.
The entry / exit point for the right of necrosis (east) has to be in the general area of the bridge because of the docks and tall buildings in the area.

Best thing to do is plan it out as best you can while trying to keep it as close to the bridge as possible and i can change a building or two if necessary.

Dont forget that there will be a connecting bridge from necrosis (north) to the north illcom islands so if someone wants to encorp the rails into the bridge or has any ideas post them now so they can be taken into consideration when planning the tracks.

I should be around the frorms alot more over the next few months, things are starting to quiten down around here for me and i have something kinda large to show u guys in a month or so.
Expect the train results firday evening.

Thanks and sorry for the delay,
-Dave

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:51 PM Edited by Cerbera, 12 January 2006 - 07:40 PM.

Would "Idea 06" be alright for you? This one:
user posted image
1500 x 1500, 245kB.

We could push the exit curve a bit more towards illSUB if need be, although there should be some distance because illSUB has some posh houses on it. Some traditional architecture on the railway supports for the stretch from Necrosis to illCOM will stop it looking out of place alongside the illCOM mansions, hopefully.

I think the Necrosis railway should be two tracks wide, rather than just one. It could span the West and South half of the main road. This would give the main road variety as part would be covered while the other were open, as well as giving a nice view along its length. The middle turn could be made a bit more gentle by going from the outer half of the road, across the apex of the turn, to the other outside half. smile.gif

REspawn
  • REspawn

REgent

• Members

Posted 12 January 2006 - 06:26 PM

Yea thats perfect, 2 tracks wide should be no real problem, because all the necrosis tracks were planned to run over the main 4 lane roads of the island so its no problem.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 12 January 2006 - 08:25 PM

That's great to hear!

Perhaps we could now move the project from being speculating possible routes towards more specific design issues, such as deciding the precise position of where the railway will enter and exit Necrosis so that the railway sections will meet correctly? The most important thing the exact Z-axis coordinate the Necrosis railway will be running on, which Respawn should decide since it has to make its way through his existing structures.

Along with this, settling on the exact positions for some other key parts of the route could be tackled now:-
  1. Where the station in JB's illCOM docks will be and the exact route to run through it).
  2. Where the route across illlSTA will start and end.
  3. Where the Black Mesa Tunnel on illURB will begin and end.
  4. Where the Crater tunnel will begin and end.
  5. Where both the illRES level crossings will be, particularly in terms of their and any terrain alterations they may require.
I've been taking measurements of the terrain in Myriad Islands using KEd and MEd and have some ideas about what elevation the train should run at. It will need some slopes in one or two places but there is plenty of space for them to be nice and gentle. The embankments, cuttings and tunnels required for gentle slopes will make the landscape more interesting, creating places for stunting and mission set pieces. smile.gif

We could also begin preliminary designs for the architecture used by the railway outside of Necrosis. I don't think the whole railway should be done the exact same way; the architecture should reflect the atmosphere of the landscape.

For example, the sea crossing from Necrosis to illSUB should have supports which are traditional and substantial, probably with large columns supporting an ornamental steel structure. This sort of style would help to blend the industry of Necrosis and JB's dockland station with the wealth of illSUB. From JB's dockland to illSTA should be somewhat more modern and commercial, since the illSTA island would have been a big, municipally planned construction made quite recently in the city's history to accomdate its growth. It could use more modern materials and techniques--perhaps white tubular steel instead of ornate iron framework.

From illSTA to illURB there has to be some sort of a movable bridge to allow shipping into the Myriad Basin (the central expanse of water), especially since there is a Marina in North-east illCOM. A swingbridge seems the most realistic system as this is used to move the mass of real-world railways for shipping. It should be possible to do this with SCM coding. Hopefully it woud be possible to ensure the bridge won't start moving if a train was anywhere near it.

The route up the East of illURB, towards Black Mesa, would be a fairly traditional railway going uphill from the bridge to go a fair way along the coast. It would require a stretch of cutting before entering the Black Mesa Tunnel, since the slope is too steep and changes too much to run the railway directly on its surface. The tunnel would exit onto an embankment to the West of Black Mesa, which would use a large bridge to cross the freeway. It would be received by another embankment and the railway would descend gently towards the level of the illRES roads as it moved West. Parts of this section could use a flyover so buildings and yards can be put underneath.

Since the architecture of bridges between illRES and illURB is very modern, the bridge should use something quite attractive and sculptural to get across. It should be a feasible design, in that something similar could be used in reality, but we don't need to run extensive stress diagnostics on a GTA bridge design. The first road on illRES is traversed using a large level crossing, after which the enters a cutting followed by the Crater tunnel entrance. There may need to be a gentle slope within the tunnel to ensure it exists at a suitable level.

Upon exiting the Crater tunnel, the railway would require a small level crossing to get across the 2 lane road there. It would then use a series of bridges, embankments and flyovers to negotiate its way across the Southern potion of illRES, descending towards the level required to meet the Necrosis railway.

Those are my ideas for the next stage of design. Discuss! tounge.gif

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 13 January 2006 - 11:56 AM

From illSTA to illURB there has to be some sort of a movable bridge to allow shipping into the Myriad Basin

Would be great if it was possible. I know you can move models, like the oil pumps in SA and the Planet Myriad sign in MI. But as far as I know you can't move paths. So I guess when the model moves, the path stays in place.... Or is there a way around this?
You can always let the train run over a very high bridge, so's the basin stays accesible. Don't know if that's very realistic though.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 13 January 2006 - 03:58 PM Edited by Cerbera, 19 January 2006 - 05:11 PM.

The paths are seperate to the models in GTASA and they do not need to move. When the bridge is swung open the tracks would not be meeting each other, so no trains could get across anyway. This is why it would require careful SCM coding to ensure the bridge never opened if a train was anywhere near it. smile.gif Ideally, this would done by creating a "no vehicle zone" like the lift bridge in GTA3 had when it started to rise.

There is a helpful page about swing bridges on Wikipedia which shows how they work. Basically, a long section of track rotates by 90 degrees, causing a gap to be opened up either side. I have in mind is bigger (and somewhat higher) than this old swing bridge (645x778, 123kB) mixed with a more modern swing bridge (1363x1025, 130kb) but built so that it suits Myriad.

Having found an aerial view of those two bridges, I think that some portions of the railway could be on a causeway, like an artificial ridge or embankment. Illspirit has expressed this idea before and now I've seen that curved bridges are sometimes replaced with this sort of thing, it looks like a good idea. It would add even more variety whilst saving a lot of polygons! tounge.gif

(EDIT) The swinging section would need to be big enough for JasonB's "Port Orchid" ferry to get through one side, although I don't know how big he wants that to be. The bridge will be quite high above the water so that most of the original boats in GTASA could get under it quite easily. Probably about the height of the bridges to illSUB.

(EDIT2) Illspirit seems pretty happy with the "Idea 06" route, so he made a few rough pieces of track in DFF format for me to test whether the route would be feasible in a 3D mapping tool. After spending all day shunting and tinkering with the Z axis position of the railway objects, it looks like the northern route will be feasible:
user posted image
(800 x 600, 51kB or 1600 x 1200, 200kB.)

You can't see the route along the East coast of illURB too well from the smallest image. The railway gradient which will be 0% over the swingbridge, then stay at 0% for a while. It will gradually start to steepen as it approaches the illURB coastline, making landfall with a gradient around 3%, which becomes 5% as it runs through cuttings and along embankments on the coastline. The first parts of the slope could be part of an artificial "spit" created as a coastal defence, which will make it less obvious than a sloping metal framework. The route enters the Black Mesa Tunnel where the ground suddenly steepens and begins to curve to the left.

It exits from the Black Mesa Tunnel to the south-west of the mountain in fairly straight cutting, becomes an embankment as you continue South. A minor railway station could be somewhere along on this section, since there is plenty of open space and it's near to the freeway. The embankment slopes gently downward at a gradient of around 2% and begins to curve towards the right. It cross the freeway on a large bridge and joins onto another embankment.

The railway continues to slope downwards at about 2% as it travels West, right the way across illURB. It levels off to a gradient of 0% once it makes the East coast of illRES, at the same level as the 4-lane road. It crosses this road via a level crossing and continues at a gradient of 0% as it travels West. It enters a cutting which gradually deepens as it travels into the wall of the Crater but the railway stays at a gradient of 0% for this. Once the cutting is deep enough, it becomes a tunnel and starts to curve left inside the crater wall. There might be a very slight gradient through this portion.

The railway exits from the South-east portion of the crater wall, heading roughly South but continuing to curve left, towards the South-east. It crosses the first two lane road via a level crossing and an embankment begins almost immediatly as the terrain falls away. A fairly small bridge is used to cross the next 2-lane road and another embankment carries it to the four lane road, curving to the left this time. A bigger bridge is used to cross the four lane road and the railway heads south towards Necrosis.

And that basically completes the Northern route! tounge.gif

I don't have JasonB's South-east illCOM lot or Necrosis, so I can't start laying out a decent draft of how the Southern sections of the railway will be yet.

JasonB
  • JasonB

• Members

Posted 21 January 2006 - 04:40 AM

Sorry about the delay folks.

Here is a top-down render of the current state of Pacific Bay:
user posted image

The untextured green area (plus the grass above it) is available for use for the train station and carpark, etc. Also note that the position of the power plant building and the cooling towers can move around in the enclosed space dedicated for the power plant. However, there is still little room to shuffle the buildings, and the train line will likely have to take a direct straight route through the middle of the power plant towers and stop at the long stretch dedicated to the station. It will then likely have to take a straight route west past the sawmill, until about halfway past the building at which point it can begin a curve south. To complete the curve and get the track out to sea we will need AleXXXs co-operation as he owns the lot next to mine. Although since his lot is mainly used for a bridge entrance, there is probably going to be lots of empty room.

The main problem is how the track enters from the east. At present, SadisticMachines Little Tokyo is there (who took responsibility for finishing that anyway?) and we will need to have the track curve in from the ocean and through the lot to get to my station.

Also, regarding illSTA, since we still have no one to make it yet, I put forward that I should model it. This would be convenient for me as it doesn't require me to work with anyone on connecting the tunnel from my island to the underground road/carpark system. Additionally since I am also going to be doing the track and station over my Pacific Bay lot, it might also be easier for me to handle the track as it goes around illcom until it connects with Necrosis and the northern island respectively. This way I can model the illSTA and Pacific Bay stations without having to send the models to someone else to get the track to fit with both and send them back to make sure they fit properly.

Also Cerb, I'll send you the model of Pacific Bay so you can view it in a map editor and help decide on how to run the track through it.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 21 January 2006 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (JasonB @ Jan 21 2006, 04:40)
The main problem is how the track enters from the east. At present, SadisticMachines Little Tokyo is there (who took responsibility for finishing that anyway?)

Gforce is currently working on it though the good thing aboout that lot is all the models are seperate and could probably be re-located to a different lot if thats whats needed.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:38 PM Edited by Cerbera, 21 January 2006 - 12:51 PM.

Jason, you've already got a billion buildings in production. Taking on yet more projects seems like a recipe for disaster; you'll be spreading yourself too thin. I don't doubt your abilities to model, some the stuff you are doing on Port Orchid is awesome, but something is bound to get neglected if you try and do too much. I'm very experienced with taking on too many projects, so I know the problems which come with it. tounge.gif

If you push the coastline of your lot out towards the sea further, the station could move South and that means the railway won't have to curve inland quite so much. I havn't seen the stuff which is being built to the West and East of it, so my intention was to make the route only use your lot. If the others will be involved as well, I guess we should PM them and get them to supply some DFFs that we can work around for the 3D draft.

It might become clearer what can be done once I get a basic DFF and TXD of your lot as it is now.

(EDIT) Just sent this PM to Gforce, SadisticMachine and AleXXX:
QUOTE (Cerbera via PM)
Hi guys,

You might have seen JasonB, illspirit, Steve-M, Respawn and developing the Myriad Islands Railway over the past few months.  Well, we have the basic route in 2D and have started the first 3D Draft.  The route across the Northern Islands is now drafted and seems like it will be made into the actual railway by illspirit.  Now we need you guys to help us with the illCOM route. smile.gif

JasonB volunteered his illCOM docklands to be the location of the railway station.  Although we could curve the railway in from the sea into a curving platform and then curve back out to sea all on JB's lot, it would make the corners quite sharp.  We hope that with the assistance of you guys, who own the lots to either side if JB's, we can make the railway take a smoother route by going over parts of your lots.

Please reply to the thread ASAP so we know who is active.  If you can, provide a top-down screenshot of what your lot currently looks like.  Doesn't have to be tidy, we just need to see what buildings are already there.  If you have any tall buildings on your lot, do some screenshots from the side so we can see that.

regards,
Ben "Cerbera" Millard
I have enabled message tracking so we can see who reads the message even if they don't have time to add a reply to this topic.

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:39 PM

Illcom_c2_r2 (AleXXX's Skyscraper) top render:
user posted image
Around of a building there will be a lawn and benches.
Do you plan to spend train ways on ILLSUB?

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:38 PM Edited by aad, 22 January 2006 - 05:40 PM.

Looks nice from above. Here is a render of my small WIP building it will have eventualy an small staircase inside to the top floor and to the roof.

user posted image

or an bigger and much sharper render

user posted image

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:30 PM Edited by Cerbera, 24 January 2006 - 03:36 PM.

AleXXX, I gave you direct links to where I posted the plan of the route. It's that big picture at the top of this page, which you had to scroll past when viewing this topic.

Here it is again:
user posted image
1500 x 1500, 245kB.

AleXXX why are you showing a picture of illSUB_c2_r2? That lot is in the North-west illCOM, nowhere near Jason's dockland in the South-east of illCOM. We would like screenshots of any lots near that. smile.gif

The PM I gave you said that if your lot contains any tall buildings, do some screenshots from the side as well as from the top. This allows the railway planners to see what airspace would be available for the railway route.

(EDIT) Aad, is your building going in one of the lots near to Jason's docklands?

JasonB
  • JasonB

• Members

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:08 AM Edited by JasonB, 24 January 2006 - 12:34 AM.

My dockland lots actually span illcom_c2_r12, illcom_c3_r12, illcom_c4_r12 and illcom_c5_r11.

Alex, we need to know your plans for illcom_c1_r12 (which on the map is still marked out for GoDK, but he has long abandoned it and I know you requested it) so we can hopefully get the track to curve across your lots and out into the sea without incident. It would benefit both you and Cerb and I planning the track if we could finalise a route ASAP.

Also, I think aad mistook this topic for the PPT and posted his WIP building in here.

Edit:
Yeah I know I have a number of projects Cerb, all my illcom lots but the docklands are finished and Port Orchid, since it's release ins't vital to the getting Myriad back on track, it can recieve less work if I were to be working on illSTA or related train project.
Well, it doesn't bother me if I'm not the one doing it, but we do need a volunteer. But before anyone makes it, we need the plans for it. Also, how about we give it a name, instead of illSTA, something simple like Central Station or something.

Mark
  • Mark

Jesus hates you.

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

Well if anyones gonna make it they need to be pretty proficient already. I'd say the only people qualified are:

ReSpawn
You (JasonB)
Illy
RK maybe?

But with ReSpawn busy, illy...i dunno and RK not that active round here, does kinda leave you....shame odie ain't here...
- GTAuron

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:35 PM Edited by Cerbera, 24 January 2006 - 07:33 PM.

QUOTE (JasonB @ Jan 24 2006, 00:08)
Yeah I know I have a number of projects Cerb, all my illcom lots but the docklands are finished and Port Orchid, since it's release isn't vital to the getting Myriad back on track, it can recieve less work if I were to be working on illSTA or related train project.

Well, it doesn't bother me if I'm not the one doing it, but we do need a volunteer. But before anyone makes it, we need the plans for it. Also, how about we give it a name, instead of illSTA, something simple like Central Station or something.
If you shelve Orchid while develping the railway and docklands, that should be fine. However, if you take this on, you will be responsible for the pace at which the whole of MI for GTASA develops as well as the quality of some major landscape work. If you are prepared for that, then I'd trust you to make the illCOM parts of the railway, including the illSTA island. I'm not sure who the decision falls to ultimately, though. smile.gif

Ideally, llspirit should make the Northern route since he's the most familiar with its polygon structure and modelling style. By sectioning the railway like this, it means that the work of creating several kilometers of track, bridges and landscape engineering will be spread out between three talented modellers (Illspirit, Respawn and Jason). That will help it be completed faster without reducing quality.

Although illSTA is in the center of a river, "Central Station" would normally refer to something in the center of a district on land. As the illSTA island is an oval, we could just call it "Oval Station"? One of the routes in the London Underground system is the "Circle Line" so it's a plausible name.

Ideally, I would like DFFs for the following illCOM lots so I can run a 3D draft route through them:-
  • illCOM_c1_r12
  • illCOM_c2_r12
  • illCOM_c3_r12
  • illCOM_c4_r12
  • illCOM_c5_r11
The DFFs do not need COL models or textures or even work in-game. As long as they work in a 3D map editor in a GTAVC MI install they will be fine. Once we settle on a railway route, it cannot be changed to accomodate later buildings, so we have to get this right first time.

(EDIT) Here's the sort of route I'm thinking for the exit from Jason's station:
user posted image
1334 x 1036, 116kB.

When I get some DFFs for that area I can adapt the curve. Depending on how flexible Jason can be with his docklands, we might be able to run the railway at ground level through the docklands. A bit like the import/export crane at the San Fierro docks in GTASA.

JasonB
  • JasonB

• Members

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:06 AM

I am willing to accept the responsibility of modelling the illcom tracks and stations, it's a challenge that should prove fun.

Also Cerb if you want the track to go like that, I'll have to see what I can do about extending the docks out a bit more to accommodate the platform. It shouldn't be very difficult, buildings cans easily be moved around at this point. Tomorrow I'll take a look at the docks and how I can move them to accommodate the platform and associated buildings and get you the models so you can get a good look as well.

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:58 PM

AleXXX why are you showing a picture of illSUB_c2_r2?

I show ILLCOM_c2_r2. And i think, that you want to make ways around Illcom. biggrin.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif
illcom_c1_r12 render. Don't look to the bad road texturing.
user posted image
As you can see, lot well approaches for creation train station. If no, I plan to make (if it probably) underground station (way to my island, to north islands, to north illcom). Other territory - small park with low buildings.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:47 PM Edited by Cerbera, 27 January 2006 - 06:26 PM.

Please make sure North points upwards in your top-down screenshots.

(EDIT) Oh no, what the hell is that bridge doing there?!! Nobody told me there was a bridge from the south of illCOM!! cry.gif

Mark
  • Mark

Jesus hates you.

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2006 - 04:47 PM

lol another island? oh dears. AleXXX can't ya wait wait til illnorth is disected and just claim like 20 lots? There's so many little islands all over the place it's mad! - GTAuron

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:09 PM Edited by Cerbera, 27 January 2006 - 08:15 PM.

Oooh, look what just happened:
QUOTE (illspirit via MSN)
[18:45:08] illspirit: after the tracks are made and stuff, I might try to find someone with a beastlier system
[18:45:34] illspirit: oh, it's [GTASA lighting] basically a raytraced light sim
[18:45:53] illspirit: which bounces the light off of surfaces
[18:45:58] illspirit: scattering them about
[18:46:13] illspirit: all self-shadowing

[...]

[18:57:16] Cerbera/Ben: you said you might be making the railway route across the Northern islands, is that still what you expect to happen?
[18:57:58] illspirit: yea
[18:58:14] Cerbera/Ben: so, would it be alright if Jason did the parts around illCOM?
[18:58:31] Cerbera/Ben: his recent work is pretty good quality
[18:58:38] illspirit: yea
[18:58:49] Cerbera/Ben: cool, since he co-designed the route, he should do a good job of it smile.gif
So now we know who will be building what. Hopefully we can finalise the route, figure out the architecture and then illy and JB can each make their section of it.

(EDIT) I've used the position of Necrosis in the beta Respawn made available earlier in the thread to make sure the illRES route will meet it correctly. I've also plotted the Eastern exit from Necrosis. I'll draft the 3D route from Necrosis past illSUB to illCOM during the coming week.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:12 AM

So the actual modeling may start within a week? It's almost exciting!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users