Quantcast

» «
Photo

[Official] Myriad Islands Train

371 replies to this topic
locO G
  • locO G

LocO by name... But keeping an even keel.

• Members

Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

As asked by Cerbera, I post a PM

QUOTE (locO G @ Oct 5 2006, 19:32)

Sorry, I don't MSN. But you can catch me most nights on the MI IRC channel, together with aad, mickarrow, Gforce, Snow-Racer, Jost-Vice and a few others popping in from time to time.

I did ask for SE10 back in May, posting these on the 19th
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic3
Pic4
Pic5
Pic6
Pic7

I chose this lot because I really wanted the railway to rip through my rundown estate.

I then discovered that illspirit was working on something fot the same lot, but he moved his work in favour of mine (bless him).

He later PMed me about how high I wanted the train track which he agreed to move up to z +28 to get some ugly looking archways underneath for auto repair shops and the like.

With the widening of the roads, I've had to move the layout about (not a bad thing).

Anyway, I'd be more than happy to share the lot with you, as 'crappy' industry and poor housing could go together nicely (sic).

Or, if needs must, I could always move my lot next door although, with the track running at z +28 now, illspirit would have to lower it again for a station.

Speak to you soon.

locO G

hi Loco,

Could you make this as a message in the MI Railway topic please? Railway design should be visible to the public; plus there's more width for long messages and pictures in topics.

I vaguely remember reading that conversation...it just didn't sink in at the time. smile.gif

regards,
Ben "Cerbera" Millard

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:47 AM Edited by Cerbera, 17 October 2006 - 09:56 AM.

Loco, you forgot to include the message code. Nobody can follow those links or understand the quotations. tounge.gif

JasonB
JasonB has had exams for the past few weeks. They will be over soon and he will be working on getting the tracks he made in-game.

Once the Southern tracks are in-game I'll reroute the train along it. Maybe that'll spark their interest in their sections?

Illspirit
I havn't talked to him about the tracks recently. I think illspirit has been working on the new roads for the Northern islands.

REspawn
Recently, I think he's mostly been doing Necrosis Island and G-Tools. I'm waiting on a picture of the island with his intended tunnel routes atm.

DODSHE
  • DODSHE

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:50 AM

some qestions:
is anyone worknig on misions?(in GTi are some)
or converting Necrosis(or how you write it) to SA version?
and what's happenning with GTi part seen in 0.4&0.5?(will it stay in future versions?)
some1 expresssed the idea with flying train,why not try this?(i know it'll need to change some sounds)

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

You mean the old air train from GTA III? Hmm...possible I guess, though i think we'd rather have the trains operating on the ground. Maybe could do so for the tram though. I'd personally love a huge blimp to move around the map smile.gif .

GTi is still being worked on, though really, even though it is integrated into MI, is still kinda separate. Aad is the only one really working on both sides of the mod, though GTi is still steaming ahead. ReSpawn is working on Necrosis, though is also working on his "GTools" range of modding tools, to help him get it all working etc. Not long now til it's done, there is progress going on there.

Missions? Kinda taking a back seat for the moment. Having lots to do missions with is more important than having missions at the mo.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:56 PM

He's probably referring to the monorail that was being discussed some time ago. But obviously we decided to have a ground-based train, and adding yet another, floating track system for illcom is certainly out of discussion. One of the Northern islands might be big enough to have a small local circuit, but I'm not sure it'd make much sense. Or look well in an urban area, for that matter.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:08 AM Edited by Cerbera, 28 October 2006 - 02:46 AM.

My understanding is there are three railway paths in GTASA which we can alter:
  • The clockwise railway path.
  • The anticlockwise railway path.
  • The tram in San Fierro.
First Railway Path
One of the railway paths will be used for the route which has been planned and coordinated in this thread. A lot of the track has already been built, so it's going to need trains on it.

I intend to make this path file myself once the track pieces are in-game. Unless someone desperately wants to do it themselves using Max?

Second Railway Path
Now, we have some choices for the second railway route:
  1. Do the opposite direction around the route in this topic.
  2. Create a subway system which includes GTi, Port Orchid and any other islands with space for a staircase down to a subway station. A problem with this is the above-ground trains will also have to be used in this subway.
  3. Run the opposite direction around part of the route in this topic, then branch off at a set of points into a seperate above-ground loop.
My assessment of these options:
  1. The easiest to do with no extra building work required.
  2. Possible if we can get underwater tunnels working and if we can find enough manpower to organise and build it. A subway has been quite a popular request...
  3. My least favourite idea. Retrofitting above-ground railways is a bloody nightmare!
Train paths are easily moved around to other locations; it's just a text file with a big list of coordinates inside. I'm not sure how railway stations are set up but we need to use different locations to GTASA anyway, so moving them must be possible as well.

I'd vote for option 1 for now. I would leave open the possibility of option 2 once the above-ground railway is complete, though. What do other people think about this?

Tram Path
It isn't drivable but we could change its COL so you can ride around on it. I can't think of a good place to put it. I'd vote we leave it out for now.

locO G
  • locO G

LocO by name... But keeping an even keel.

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:21 AM

Re. Second Railway Route.
I would go for your second option.
It doesn't stop the existing route, as planned, from going ahead and, if the tunnel cullzones come to nothing, nothing lost.
If needs must, I'd be more than happy to build the under water tunnels if it helped to make it happen.
A subway is a great idea. If nothing else, it can patch together all the bits of MI which don't make sense (too many office jobs, not enough roads). Let's face it, illcom has enough multi-storey parking as it is.

If this is not physically possible, then maybe a system of Enex points at 'tube' stations, just to get around illcom 'on foot' a little quicker (.SCM coded maybe so as to move the game clock forwards).
Just a thought.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Members

Posted 28 October 2006 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (Cerbera @ Oct 28 2006, 02:08)
I intend to make this path file myself once the track pieces are in-game. Unless someone desperately wants to do it themselves using Max?

Why do you want to do it by hand, and how?? In Max it's just a matter of creating a spline shape along the track's triangle edges and export the coords with a few lines of script. Can't get easier and more exact than that.

As for the other tracks, there are 4 tracks*.dat files, so i guess there can be up to 4 trains. Does anyone know if it's possible to assign trains to tracks by script, or are they hardcoded? If not, I'd go with 2 directions on the main route, a subway, and possibly a small monorail somewhen. Doesn't have to be on one of the existing islands, though.

Remember, there's an (ugly) script for Map Viewer in the current version that allows you to fly along these paths, so you can easily check out where and what each of them is.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:29 PM Edited by Cerbera, 28 January 2007 - 12:28 AM.

I didn't know Mapviewer had that feature. Downloaded it onto this PC (the new one) and ran the scripts across the different paths. It overspeeds hilariously...like being on a NASA rocket sled and tends to stops updating the screen the first of loading each file. But it's an amazing feature all the same, so I've used to to document which file goes where:
FilenameRouteUsed In-game?
tracks.datClockwise from one-track tunnel in Las Venturas all the way around GTASA. Uses the inside track.Yes
tracks2.datFrom the crane in the Import/export docks up to the San Fierro railway station.No
tracks3.datTram running anticlockwise around San Fierro. Starts outside Zero RC.Yes
tracks4.datClockwise around GTASA, starting in countryside North of Los Santos. Uses the outer track.Yes
I've seen a passenger train running above the surface of illRES, so I'm not sure if there's any SCM work behind activating the paths.

There is a Long Trains EXE adjuster which can be downloaded. Supports v1.0 and v1.01 EXEs. This allows the train models and numbers of carriages which spawn to be altered.

Up to 15 objects per train are allowed, including multiple engines:
user posted image
800 x 600, 122kB.

Only the first engine will actually pull the train. Works with the the tram as well:
user posted image
800 x 600, 93kB.

I haven't tried making the tram use train models...not sure if the adjuster allows it. Anyway, this makes me think trains are somewhat hardcoded. Station locations are probably in the SCM for flexibility, so it could be a mixture of both?

insomniacnumba1
  • insomniacnumba1

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:59 PM

i hope there is a fare to pay because money has little use in GTA about 5-10 bucks just if you go through the turnstile into the station unless you jump it biggrin.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:36 AM Edited by Cerbera, 01 December 2006 - 12:39 AM.

GTAuron has asked about progress on the MISA railway tracks.

I asked JasonB about how things were going yesterday:
QUOTE (Cerbera and JasonB via MSN @ Nov 30 2006,08:15)
[08:15:36] Cerbera: hi JB, how is the railway stuff going? I didn't notice any progress shots in the MI area
[08:20:34] JasonB: I think I'm about done with the track. I just need to crunch some polygons here and there, and make sure there are no other flaws I have missed prior till now and it should be ready to roll.
[08:51:38] Cerbera: awesome smile.gif
The plan is he tidies it all up and exports it once. Then it should stay like that and provide a stable platform for making train paths.

For the time being, illSTA won't be part. I need to investigate the feasibility of doing round water effect cutouts for the North and South ends. The freeway tunnel running inside the perimeter can't have water effects in it. Neither can the car park in the middle.

If we make the wall of illSTA really thick, it might be possible to have the water.dat areas on X and Y running from illSTA to be really small. Then we could use the stacked water technique to make water which areas which overlap into the wall. This would make the water continuous down to the sea bed at the outer face of these curves, but it would not overlap with the tunnels.

However, this would be a pretty ugly way of doing it and might affect the shapes of waves. I want to investigate water-killing cullzones before deciding whether illSTA is possible in the GTASA engine.

(EDIT) I don't know how illspirit is getting along with the Northern route. Last render I saw, the illURB parts seemed to be modelled and there was a viaduct across to illRES.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 December 2006 - 12:45 AM

Ah good to hear it's moving on a bit more. Is the southern part connected into Necrosis yet?

I'm thinking that if all else fails, thick walls isn't that bad. Either that or just square out the edges, but that'll be ugly.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 December 2006 - 02:50 AM Edited by Cerbera, 01 December 2006 - 02:55 AM.

I'd like the discussion about water and tunnels to stay in the Myriad Islands Tunnel topic, so I can keep track of things.

JasonB is steadily working his way through that part. The route across Necrosis is planned and Respawn agreed to it in principle months ago. Once JasonB's section is released he'll have a solid model to hook onto for his section.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:14 PM Edited by Cerbera, 26 December 2006 - 12:13 PM.

QUOTE (Cerbera and JasonB over MSN)
[15:21:02] JasonB says: To be honest, I've been both slack and busy lately. Busy with Christmas stuff and getting some stuff organised for the 6 week Christmas break, and I've been a bit lazy  as of late.
[15:21:20] Cerbera says: there's probably going to be a MISA 0.6 release before 2007  smile.gif
[15:21:31] Cerbera says: would have been nice to get the tracks into it
[15:22:02] JasonB says: Main thing that has put me off is exporting, it is so dreadfully boring.
[15:22:18] Cerbera says: well, there's quite a few folks who are good at getting models in-game now
[15:22:36] Cerbera says: you could probably get someone else to export them for you
[15:22:43] Cerbera says: or send them to me and I'll find someone
[15:23:20] JasonB says: After Christmas, if I can't work up the will to do it myself, I'll take up one of those offers.
[15:23:32] Cerbera says: ok, that's fair
I told him the IRC channel is pretty active most nights UK and USA time. He said he might drop by.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 December 2006 - 05:04 PM

Sweet, I've got IRC working now as well, just looking for some free time in the evenings, plus I've caught the SA:MP bug.

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 23 December 2006 - 07:05 PM

I may be arround more now to from now on , Holiday started so more free time and good news my new lot is almost finished just need to finish of some texture work and then its done i will show pics as soon as i got something ingame.

cya

Aad.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:59 PM

JasonB still hasn't contacted me with his work on the railway. He was signed in on MSN a few days ago but wasn't responding to messages. So I've sent him an e-mail.

QUOTE (E-mail to JasonB @ Jan 9 2007,15:30)
Hi JasonB,

The Xmas holidays are well and truely over. Did you get the tracks in-game?

If not, RAR up what you've got and attach it to your reply. I can pass it on
to active contributors to get in-game, like we agreed.

Ben "Cerbera" Millard
If he didn't get the tracks in-game over the holidays, he'd let some other MISA contributors do it. He'd keep control over the tracks, of course, but someone else would be getting them in-game.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:22 PM

Was just about to enquire about that next time i saw you on irc tounge.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:37 AM

TRN recently posted in-game pictures of JasonB's tracks. I got JasonB to send me the Max 9 files via e-mail, which I then forwarded to GForce. He put them in-game and took the screenshots. I guess he gave TRN the screenshots and TRN posted them. smile.gif

I've started an updated railway plan which highlights the route "as built":
user posted image
1024 x 1024, 72kB.

I made cerb_base_jan5.rar as the base image for this. It's a composite of the most recent images I have from illspirit.

I don't have a top-down image of how JasonB's tracks turned out, so I haven't drawn that part on. Will need to pounce on Respawn to check the tracks currently on Necrosis.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:12 AM Edited by Cerbera, 27 January 2007 - 05:28 AM.

GForce released an alpha test version of illRES and most of the tracks, so I've started poking the tracks*.dat files some more. Here's a little demo of a scratch-made path:
user posted image
1280 x 1024, 128kB.

This the file I was using:
CODE
 0   0 20 0
400   0 20 0
400 400 20 0
 0 400 20 0
The train didn't try to smooth the curve, I guess because all the nodes were at right angles. I'll run the trains roughly over the actual railway sections for further tests. The final train paths should be done properly in Max by someone.

Another interesting occurrence was that it stopped almost immediately and let one person off, who fell into the water. I then drove halfway around the route, stopped and same thing happened. After that it stopped every few units, letting several people fall to their deaths each time! biggrin.gif
user posted image
1280 x 1024, 81kB.

I'm wondering if stations are defined in train*.dat...will keep poking.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

LOL! Lemming train! Haha.

Interesting find, certainly something that needs sorting out before we can progress with laying out tracks.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:27 PM Edited by Cerbera, 28 January 2007 - 01:56 AM.

After some more experiments I've got a hunch: the train stops as close to the GTASA railway stations as it can. It stopped on the North East corner of my route because that's as close as it could get to the residential railway station in Las Venturas. It then stopped again and again quite soon after for the other Las Venturas railway stations.

That's just a hunch, though.

I've run a rough train path around the outer route of the MISA railway:
user posted image
1280 x 1024, 180kB.

I've driven to whole way around it:
user posted image
1280 x 1024, 127kB.

You can get a lot of speed up down the straight part:
user posted image
1280 x 1024, 122kB.

If you have the GForce test models, you can play with the test tracks.dat file.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hmm good theory. Time to play!...makes me realise how much I need to make an engine to match the carriages actually!

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 January 2007 - 12:22 AM Edited by Cerbera, 30 January 2007 - 10:06 AM.

Now done the inside track:
user posted image
1280 x 1024, 152kB.

So far, I've only seen trains spawning on the path placed in the tracks.dat file. I can get either route running if I put it in that file, but tracks4.dat doesn't seem to work. The inside track doesn't stop at as many stations as the outer one.

I've tried making sense of the train.dat file but the locations in it don't seem to match anything in GTASA. On many lines it uses (999,999,999).

I've found that the clickety-clack noise doesn't happen at set distances or times, though. It happens when the train runs over a path node. smile.gif

(EDIT) GForce sent me an alpha of the illRES roads, tunnels and railway. So I've updated the two track paths:I can still only get tracks.dat to spawn trains.

insomniacnumba1
  • insomniacnumba1

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:34 PM

im sure that tracks4.dat is only operational during the mission where you have to shoot some guys off a train roof you might already know this but i posted this just in case you didn't

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:13 PM

Ah yeah, so you end up with trains coming right at you even though you're chasing one.

Meh, if the .scm can be edited so that it can be enabled, I don't see much problem still.

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:18 PM

Oh, that would explain a lot! lol.gif

insomniacnumba1
  • insomniacnumba1

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 10 February 2007 - 07:30 PM

wow i actually helped biggrin.gif
and i think i'll bring up the fact of there is a line at the end of each line of code is usually a 0 but sometimes its a 1 and that means the train will try and stop there

Mr. Someguy
  • Mr. Someguy

Gold Member

• Members

Posted 11 February 2007 - 12:48 AM

Does the Black Mesa in this mod have anything to do with the Black Mesa Reserch Facility in half-life?

TRN4L
  • TRN4L

Novus Ordo Seclorum

• Members

Posted 11 February 2007 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (Mr. Someguy @ Feb 10 2007, 17:48)
Does the Black Mesa in this mod have anything to do with the Black Mesa Reserch Facility in half-life?

nothing other than sharing a name afaik alien.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users