Any progress?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic
njr1489
  • njr1489

MP5

• Members

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:42 PM

They never announced it would be stopped, but no news is pretty dissapointing.

DA_Malice
  • DA_Malice

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:23 PM

evern when we assked, them if it was carring on, no awnser sad.gif

f3llah1n
  • f3llah1n

God

• Members

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (DA_Malice @ Oct 30 2005, 21:23)
evern when we assked, them if it was carring on, no awnser sad.gif

would you rather have them answer idiotic questions or work on with the mod?

DA_Malice
  • DA_Malice

Snitch

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 31 October 2005 - 01:36 AM

it not idiotic it is a simple qwuestion

{DBC}Lance
  • {DBC}Lance

Most Wanted

• Members

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:50 AM

evern when we assked, them if it was carring on, no awnser

well, no answer doesn't mean that they've stopped. Spooky already said that he has a full-time job, that's all.

Concept.
  • Concept.

Cara Cicatriz

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 October 2005 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (f3llah1n @ Oct 30 2005, 22:00)
QUOTE (DA_Malice @ Oct 30 2005, 21:23)
evern when we assked, them if it was carring on, no awnser  sad.gif

would you rather have them answer idiotic questions or work on with the mod?

I don't think repyling either "Yes" or "No" will take much time off from making the mod.
And it's not a stupid question. If people don't know if the mod's still being done, they'll lose interest.

Drizz
  • Drizz

Satan.

• Members

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:15 AM

You guys got the answer. Spookie got full-time job, as kye too. So theres noone to organize people to work on the mod now. - Dri'z Up.

njr1489
  • njr1489

MP5

• Members

Posted 02 November 2005 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (Drizz @ Nov 2 2005, 02:15)
You guys got the answer. Spookie got full-time job, as kye too. So theres noone to organize people to work on the mod now. - Dri'z Up.

We have an assumption, not an answer. Most of us are assuming that its basically dead. I hope I am wrong though, but no updates make it dissapointing. It doesn't even take much time. Only takes a second to press F8 to take a picture, a few seconds to upload, and a few seconds to sum up your current progress.

erorr404
  • erorr404

Trick

• Members

Posted 02 November 2005 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (Drizz @ Nov 2 2005, 02:15)

3.5 weeks ago he said he'll start working on it much more in one week.

{DBC}Lance
  • {DBC}Lance

Most Wanted

• Members

Posted 02 November 2005 - 06:54 PM Edited by {DBC}Lance, 02 November 2005 - 07:02 PM.

It doesn't even take much time. Only takes a second to press F8 to take a picture, a few seconds to upload, and a few seconds to sum up your current progress.

yeah, but what's the point of posting a single screen? you've already seen lot's of screens of SA-MP( there were drive by's visible, shooting, etc.)

and remember what spooky said:
QUOTE (Spooky)
Kye had SA:MP working with 8+ players on foot and in vehicles about one week after SanAn was released... What will a new screenshot prove?

just be patient, he already told you about the situation, you don't need anymore info. if you don't like it? then why don't you ignore this project? it's not yours, they will work on this project and inform the public when they get the chance and there's nothing you can do about it( however, you could start your own, or keep an eye out for other multiplayer projects or do something else rolleyes.gif ).

i think criticism is ok, but some ppl ( yes and i'll say it again and again ) really think they are co-owners blink.gif same thing happened when kyeman announced the new plans for gameplay

Drizz
  • Drizz

Satan.

• Members

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:42 PM

Lance, I mean no offence, but reading your posts about being patient, letting them do their job in peace and agreeing with everything the team says sounds like u uhm... *slurp slurp* GTAMP team... tounge.gif if u know what i mean...
*slurp-slurp*
- Dri'z Up.

njr1489
  • njr1489

MP5

• Members

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE ({DBC}Lance @ Nov 2 2005, 18:54)
It doesn't even take much time. Only takes a second to press F8 to take a picture, a few seconds to upload, and a few seconds to sum up your current progress.

yeah, but what's the point of posting a single screen? you've already seen lot's of screens of SA-MP( there were drive by's visible, shooting, etc.)

The point of it is to see their progress, not just read it. I wasn't talking about posting a picture only, they just have to write a little about their progress. It seems like you rather have no update, than anything at all.

{DBC}Lance
  • {DBC}Lance

Most Wanted

• Members

Posted 03 November 2005 - 06:53 AM

Lance, I mean no offence, but reading your posts about being patient, letting them do their job in peace and agreeing with everything the team says sounds like u uhm... *slurp slurp* GTAMP team...

well i'm only expressing my opinion and quoting spooky dozingoff.gif so i don't see your point. so i'm not speaking for the team or something( or acting as if i'm doing that); but i'm just pointing out that some ppl demand a bit too much.

It seems like you rather have no update, than anything at all

you're wrong, offcourse i want to see some updates. but spooky told us about the current situation, so i can imagine that it will take some time before we can expect a breakthrough.

thesingh5716
  • thesingh5716

[UVA]Turbo

• Members

Posted 04 November 2005 - 08:58 PM

Oh Great Lord Spooky......

me patiently awaits for updates!!!

not trying to pressure the team, but if they is need support me and my 2 brothers (both avid fans of San Andreas) are willing to help although we dont know how..beta testers are all we good fo right? i mean you got plenty of them already...

some update info would be nice but i can understand how time becomes a bit of trouble when having a full time job, i go uni and man i barely have enough time to eat!!
Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif
cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Dangta
  • Dangta

Multi-Talented Person

• Members

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:45 AM

One thing you guys got to realise. As very experienced programmer and game developer myself. The reasons you guys are saying in why they don't give updates are stupid.

When people develop a game they don't develop it just to give it free to people. When people make free games, why would they want to make something just for the public? There's no sense in that.

People make these sort of things for free because they might want to add it to their portfolio, play it themselves and all sorts.

I can garantee you that the developers enjoyed other multiplayer mods/games. Which is where they get their inspiration. Game development is all about developing ideas and forfilling them.

If you start a project, you start it knowing that things can go wrong, it will consume a large part of your life until it's finished or abdoned. Developers should always thing about that before they start a project or get involved in one.

Which by the looks of it, Spooky has "bitten off more than he can chew". Something such as adding multiplayer to a game like GTA is time consuming. But in my experience i've found that once you have a hard back for your game/mod. It shouldn't take as long to finish the mod. For example, GTA-MP's current progress is over 50%. Which qualifies it for having a hard back. Which means from that 50% development should go smoothly. The first few months of developing a game are some of the hardest.

So rather than talking about it like you know it all, give the bloke some time, don't annoy him with his "oh it's free he don't have to do it if he don't want to". We already know that. It's the fact in nearly every aspect of life.

The_Grudge
  • The_Grudge

» The_Grudge «

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:10 PM

This is not relevant.

Cam
  • Cam

Cam

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (The_Grudge @ Nov 8 2005, 16:10)
This is not relevant.

Actually, yes it is. Dangta is completely right in what he said.

acdchardrocker
  • acdchardrocker

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:45 AM

Hey guys give him a break......
just as the old saying gos good things come to those who wait..

Wheezle
  • Wheezle

rather odd bloke

• Members

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:13 PM

But is this going to become a religion? "He's up there, working on the mod. Those with faith will recieve"

Dangta
  • Dangta

Multi-Talented Person

• Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (Wheezle @ Dec 7 2005, 14:13)
But is this going to become a religion? "He's up there, working on the mod. Those with faith will recieve"

Heh... It's like the idea of the Rebirth of Christ...yeah right... confused.gif

Looks like pretty much both projects i was looking forward to dissapointed me. I was looking forward to MTA:SA. Only to find out in it's first release it is only a race mod.

The whole idea of MTA and what makes it attractive to me, an intense experienced game developer is the idea that you can freely roam about and do your own stuff. If it's a cruise down InsertStreetNameHere with your buddies off msn or if it's organised clan gang wars.

Then i turned to SA:MP. Looked very promising up until Kyeman decided he would like to focus on his career. Which is totally understanding. But one part of game development is the fact that when you start you are prepared and know the risks and hard work involved.

I have worked with professional commercial teams and i have had to sacrifice parts of my social life to get projects done. Such as a few months back i had nearly broken up with my girlfriend due to the fact that i was "spending too much time on the computer". But it's "the name of the game".

You people who keep saying "oorh yesh but give him time he's doing it for free" or "it will be released when it's released". What do you know? Most of those guys don't know the first thing about game development they are just fan boys.

GhostDragon
  • GhostDragon

Rat

• Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:57 AM

there aint gotta be no damn sa:mp plus they aint doin sh*t lets put it that way... so stop dreaming or waiting about sa:mp b/c never will be released. This crappy game came out last year and no sh*t will take that longer to do just a project that only takes no longer than 4 months... do you think they are working on it? nah they are just telling us bullsh*t just to make us to be patient. for me i dont give a damn if it will be released or not so hell to that project die.gif

{DBC}Lance
  • {DBC}Lance

Most Wanted

• Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:35 AM

You people who keep saying "oorh yesh but give him time he's doing it for free" or "it will be released when it's released". What do you know? Most of those guys don't know the first thing about game development they are just fan boys.

this project isn't a game. and offcourse, they have to keep GTAM as freeware; otherwise they get trouble with rockstar. the argument that 'they're doing it for free' was used to show that it's a hobby for the developers dozingoff.gif that's why some also said that we should be patient since GTAM is being worked on in sparetime. so those arguments aren't that stupid at all; so stop thinking that this is a commercial product(or at least acting as if it is one), that's just bullsh*t.

jax
  • jax

Moof!

• Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE ({DBC}Lance @ Dec 9 2005, 06:35)

this project isn't a game. and offcourse, they have to keep GTAM as freeware; otherwise they get trouble with rockstar. the argument that 'they're doing it for free' was used to show that it's a hobby for the developers dozingoff.gif that's why some also said that we should be patient since GTAM is being worked on in sparetime. so those arguments aren't that stupid at all; so stop thinking that this is a commercial product(or at least acting as if it is one), that's just bullsh*t.

This project is being developed for a game, it is built on/into a game, and it extends a game... How is this not game development ?

Just incase you're unfamiliar with the meaning of the word development lance:

de·velop·mental (-mntl) adj.
de·velop·mental·ly adv.

Synonyms: development, evolution, progress
These nouns mean a progression from a simpler or lower to a more advanced, mature, or complex form or stage: the development of an idea into reality; the evolution of a plant from a seed; attempts made to foster social progress.

The bold bits should put it into perspective for you.

-jax

{DBC}Lance
  • {DBC}Lance

Most Wanted

• Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:42 PM

that's just how you interpreter it; i see it as a modification TO an existing game . rah.gif

Dangta
  • Dangta

Multi-Talented Person

• Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:54 PM

Game mods are a form of game development. But this isn't a game mod. Since it's not changing any content, sounds, media etc. It's simply enhancing the features and playability by making you able to play multiplayer.

The attitude towards the community from you fanboys discusses me. You are in no position to talk in the developers shoes so don't assume you know everything. I've seen things like these fail all the time.

Almost every case it's because of they go into full time work. What i am saying is if they do not acknowledge that they simply can't please a community by updating the game every 5 months.

Say if it was San Andreas which was in development for ages, lots of media and press releases. Then suddenly the developers decide to hault progress because they have to sort out their social life. You wouldn't be happy would you?

I know your answer to that is "Oh but they are getting paid!". The whole reason people do these sort of things for free is mainly for experience and to play it themselfs.

{DBC}Lance
  • {DBC}Lance

Most Wanted

• Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 01:08 PM Edited by {DBC}Lance, 09 December 2005 - 01:14 PM.

first of all, i'm not a fanboy, and stop acting as if 'we' are some sort of group( i don't really have the same opinion as the posters who posted here; you would have known that if you actually took the time to read these posts).

You are in no position to talk in the developers shoes so don't assume you know everything. I've seen things like these fail all the time.

we have the rights to give your opinion; whether you like it or not(though, unlike some other ppl; i'm not demanding anything from the GTAM team). just because you have experience with working on( 'commercial') games doesn't make you a better man. actually, you have proven that your so called experience is worthless in this case.

Say if it was San Andreas which was in development for ages, lots of media and press releases. Then suddenly the developers decide to hault progress because they have to sort out their social life. You wouldn't be happy would you?

no, but GTAM isn't a commercial-product! there is no releasedate! GTAM isn't a company; so the teammembers aren't employees, just programmers who attempt to create a multiplayer modification for GTA San Andreas( as a hobby).

ok some ppl on this forum put pressure on the developers; in the end, it's up to the developers what they do with the mod. there's no pressure from company's like EA or Activision( who would force them to release it, if it was a game). so why make such a stupid comparison?

besides, this mod might not directly modify/replace files, since it 'hacks' into the game, but i'd still classify it as a modification because of that( again, just depends on how you define things).

Dangta
  • Dangta

Multi-Talented Person

• Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE ({DBC}Lance @ Dec 9 2005, 13:08)
first of all, i'm not a fanboy, and stop acting as if 'we' are some sort of group( i don't really have the same opinion as the posters who posted here; you would have known that if you actually took the time to read these posts).

You are in no position to talk in the developers shoes so don't assume you know everything. I've seen things like these fail all the time.

we have the rights to give your opinion; whether you like it or not(though, unlike some other ppl; i'm not demanding anything from the GTAM team). just because you have experience with working on( 'commercial') games doesn't make you a better man. actually, you have proven that your so called experience is worthless in this case.

no, but GTAM isn't a commercial-product! there is no releasedate! GTAM isn't a company; so the teammembers aren't employees, just programmers who attempt to create a multiplayer modification for GTA San Andreas( as a hobby).

ok some ppl on this forum put pressure on the developers; in the end, it's up to the developers what they do with the mod. there's no pressure from company's like EA or Activision( who would force them to release it, if it was a game). so why make such a stupid comparison?

besides, this mod might not directly modify/replace files, since it 'hacks' into the game, but i'd still classify it as a modification because of that( again, just depends on how you define things).

No it doesn't make me a better man, but it shows that i know that i'm talking about. And yes, fan boys are a group of people. Generally the suck ups. I took the time to read your posts, only to find your useless crap.

I am not demanding anything from them, i telling YOU why THEY dissapointed me. And what are you talking about no pressure on people like EA or Activision? Have you even any experience in the commercial industry. They get more pressure put onto them than any other type. Think about it.

They have to make sure the game fits regulations and laws, they got to keep their fanbase by sticking to what the community wants, they have tons of emails off idiots moaning about why InsertTitle has been delayed etc.

GTAM may not be a company, but it is a group of developers which means that the same kinds of things apply for them as to an actual commercial company. The only differences between a commercial company and a modification development team are some the following.

- Commercial is set out to make money
- Commercial is generally built up of much more experienced people than Modification

And there is alot more which are pointless to say. I know exactly how the "mod" works. I've done that kind of stuff before and it's definately not as hard as coding a game from scratch but it has it's flaws.

You're also forgetting that the publishers ALWAYS put pressure on the developers about release dates etc. Which is why many games are released bug filled.

It doesn't at all matter on how you define things. Someone could define modding as baking a cake; doesn't make it true now does it?

The fact is, this "mod" simply is only reading and writing to memory addresses in realtime in the game. There is no "perminant" change. Therefor it isn't a mod. It's an enhancement.

{DBC}Lance
  • {DBC}Lance

Most Wanted

• Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 02:34 PM Edited by {DBC}Lance, 09 December 2005 - 03:23 PM.

I am not demanding anything from them, i telling YOU why THEY dissapointed me. And what are you talking about no pressure on people like EA or Activision? Have you even any experience in the commercial industry. They get more pressure put onto them than any other type. Think about it.

You're also forgetting that the publishers ALWAYS put pressure on the developers about release dates etc. Which is why many games are released bug filled.

so you're saying that GTAM get more pressure from the community, than game developers get from publishers? and how did i forgot about the publishers, i already mentioned them ( i gave EA and activision as an example, so again, you're wrong).

man talking about useless crap dozingoff.gif a few ppl asking for updates is nothing in compare to the pressure of the publishers. the GTAM developers can take the time; some game developers can't.

you just don't seem to get it do you? first you try to critisize some forum visitors which ended in useless arguďng where you made a stupid comparison.

I know exactly how the "mod" works. I've done that kind of stuff before and it's definately not as hard as coding a game from scratch but it has it's flaws.

you make it sound as if it's a piece of cake. the developers of multiplayer projects such as these don't have access to the source. creating a 'game' from scratch could mean anything, creating a 2d platform game would be much easier to do than creating a first person shooter from scratch.

Oh and lance, you should really read what Dangta's saying, because you're actually twisting his words in your head, and making yourself look like an idiot. Just thought you ot-to know.

no, he was twisting my words, because he thought that with developers ( in the example i gave, EA+activision) i was talking about game developers of commercial games; but i was talking about developers like you and spooky; that you guys have no pressure from publishers.

that may be stupid, but it's even more stupid to say that my post made me look like an idiot; i've proven that he misunderstood my point, so that was kinda stupid of you to post such things. i understand that you want to stop this discussion, but i don't think it helps if you put it that way. it's like throwing oil on the fire.

jax
  • jax

Moof!

• Members

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:10 PM

I have to disagree there Dan, anything which changes the way a game works, or behaves is a modification.

Now, will the two of you stop your bitching, and if you must, then keep it to PM's. Oh and lance, you should really read what Dangta's saying, because you're actually twisting his words in your head, and making yourself look like an idiot. Just thought you ot-to know.

-jax

Luke
  • Luke

suckmyrocket

• None

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Dangta @ Dec 9 2005, 14:11)
The fact is, this "mod" simply is only reading and writing to memory addresses in realtime in the game. There is no "perminant" change. Therefor it isn't a mod. It's an enhancement.

Before you go saying stupid things and making yourself look like even more of a big tit than you already are, I suggest you do some proper research.

Hell, the VC:MP source is openly available, so perhaps if you bothered to take a look through that, you'd notice that VC:MP and SA:MP are both a hell of a lot more than "reading and writing to memory addresses in realtime in the game". SA:MP is essentially capable of controlling every aspect of the game (or rather, the developers are capable if they want and try hard enough) and a large proportion of that control isn't done through ReadProcessMemory and WriteProcessMemory API. Did you bother to notice that VC:MP is actually loaded into the game?

A mod is a modification, this modifies the game, therefore making it a mod.

An enhancement? Yes, that it is too.

QUOTE (Continued...)
GTAM may not be a company, but it is a group of developers which means that the same kinds of things apply for them as to an actual commercial company. The only differences between a commercial company and a modification development team are some the following.

- Commercial is set out to make money
- Commercial is generally built up of much more experienced people than Modification
Did it ever occur to you that some of the team are commercial developers who do this as an extra because they enjoy it? Didn't think so.

You did however, hit the nail on the head - a commercial developer is out to make money, and since no-one here is making money (we actually can't due to the EULA of the game itself anyway) then we can all happily sing and tell you to f*ck off, do as much work as we want, and do as little work as we want. Stop thinking the world revolves around you.

Modding is baking a cake? Unless you bake the cake and then modify it in some way, I'm afraid not, better luck next time. There's a very definitive definition of modding, I suggest you look it up.

We disappointed you? I'm terribly sorry, please accept my sincerest apologies and throw yourself into the soonest available lit fire, bonus points for every major burn, and then one point for every day you are hospitalized.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users