A complaint

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic
Ryder15
  • Ryder15

LooseKiD

• Members

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:23 AM

i have been here for a while but i have seen some stuff go down. But i havent came across somthing like this..

One of my Friends Horv was banned the other day becuase or his Friend Silent Assassin posted the GTAnet Forums logo on there Website GTA Glasgow TC mod, he got bannd for it an i though it was f*cking Stupid to ban him for wat Silent Assassin did.

Horv quote on MSN like 15min ago. 26/09/05
my stupid pal stole thier logos and i had made him admin on my GTA GlASOG Wsite and he put them on it and they caught me and banned me

i would like to see him unbanned but if this is impossible mabe just for a 1 month ban and then let him back onto th forums but with warning or somthing..

It isnt realy Fair for him to banned For good..

Thanx for listening

Ryder

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:27 AM

Surely if he did nothing wrong he should be unbanned immediately? Why leave him banned for a month? Are you not telling us something?

It's also possible the ban is temp anyway.

<3D

Iminicus
  • Iminicus

Cyclop have 9 years

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:30 AM

Yeah, why only a month? Do you think he should pay a punishment for employing Silent? If so, we call that guilty by association. I smell BS, on your friends behalf. Why didn't he contact a Mod on this site and tell them what Silent did? Or kick Silent for ripping those images? Your friend has dug his on hole, now let him stay down there.

Ryder15
  • Ryder15

LooseKiD

• Members

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:34 AM Edited by Ryder15, 26 September 2005 - 10:39 AM.

no think he should be unbanned for good no mounth ban..

but if its not possible for a Straight release of the unban..maby they would consitter a one month ban insted of a Life time ban..

:edit:
silent was banned but i want to know why was Horv

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

If your site rips GTANet content, expect everyone involved to be banned. It's not hard to follow this rule.

vALKYR
  • vALKYR

The Object of Affection.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Opius @ Sep 26 2005, 13:59)
If your site rips GTANet content, expect everyone involved to be banned. It's not hard to follow this rule.

So let's just say someone at theurbansystem.com where I am administrator decides to upload GTAF Content while I am gone. And let's just say I didn't have a clue about it. Would I find myself banned when I get back?

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:08 PM

They ripped the mod and admin pips. You need to be an admin to change these. If you can't trust the admins YOU choose, you deserve to take responsibility for their f*ck ups.

vALKYR
  • vALKYR

The Object of Affection.

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (Opius @ Sep 26 2005, 14:08)
They ripped the mod and admin pips. You need to be an admin to change these. If you can't trust the admins YOU choose, you deserve to take responsibility for their f*ck ups.

It's not that I have chosen my admin team. They chose me. alien.gif

But thank god I am the only one with FTP Access happy.gif (although others could just upload PIPs to Imageshack and copy and paste the link into the Group Settings).

Hmm, I need to speak with my Admin Team, I am certainly not getting banned for such a thing.

Svip
  • Svip

I eat babies

• Members

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:20 PM

¬¬

It's quite simple people. If you own a site, and allow other people to help you manage the site, then you are the owner, that means, that the admins you have choosen is your responsibility. If you can't trust them, don't make them admins.

Should something like this happen, the member in question is banned, but also the owner of the site. As the owner should have stepped forward before anyone saw it.

In this case, if he did.

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

Yeah it's a good idea to only pick members who you know pretty well personally and trust before you give them any position of power. I'm lucky with the staff on my site i know them all very well. And know they would never do anything like this.

I stand by the decision to ban all of them.

Dome Piece
  • Dome Piece

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:08 PM

Was this to do with the Admin Pips ripping?

Even though I still think its slightly over the top to ban someone for stealing a pip, why do these people have to do it in the first place? Why not just create your own friggin pip, its not that hard.

Eg. The Mod Pip from my 4x4 forum:

user posted image

Took me all of 3 minutes.
- Dome Piece

Demarest
  • Demarest

what could be

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:02 PM

Taking responsibility for and receiving a ban for are two different things. For being the #1 community for modding a game about all levels of crime--that is to say that we take all the files thereof and treat them as our own--we sure have grown over-reactive over ripping. Or rather should I say our interpretation of the concept of ripping speaks of a hunger. To think of all the times my moderatory actions came under scrutiny because of things that took place outside the realm of GTAF sigh.gif

That said, I am NOT defending rippers either. I'm no GFX artist, but I've always done my own GFX work, be it my site, images, whatever. When I don't, I'm sure to give full credit to those who have. Opius is a particularly good example of this because he isn't JUST a coder or JUST a modeler. Rather he is fluent in many arts of creation, so when he wants something to go with something, he doesn't take it from elsewhere, but rather makes it, much like Dome Piece referenced. Still, I think intent should be evaluated. Many of the graphics and even the color scheme of my site came striaght out of GTA3. Is it that I'm ripping off R* and should be banned? Or is it that I'm paying homage both to the company that produced my favorite game as well as those that might visit my site in order to provide a more "authentic" feel to it?

In the current state of things, maybe it's risque to ask such a question lol.gif Hopefully the ridiculousness of it will mirror the sentiment with the current shoot as soon as you see the whites of eyes mentality. Having been banned before and for reasons that didn't exist, I guess I'd like to see bans actually indicate the removal of a threat to the network rather than "hey, I found A way to justify it". confused.gif

GT-1
  • GT-1

• Feroci Racing

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:08 PM

A few questions regarding Horv;

Why did he feel it was ok for Silent to rip the images? ...and after a member stated that the images should be removed (MI7), he was one of the members who posted saying that they should stay? There was a post relating to this, which has since vanished/been edited which would further show that he was possibly trying to cover up a story? The question still remains most importantly though. Why didn't he report the incident when he first knew about it, to a member of the GTAF staff? As an administrator himself who had the power, why didn't he remove them himself. He knew full well that the images had been ripped.

It's a large amount of small things that usually lead up to the largest consequences. But since he felt the images should be kept does this show that he felt ripping is acceptable? As an active administrator he could have removed the pips within hours/day at most after they were uploaded and put into use. I know when they were there and any edits which have been made. They had been uploaded and put into use at around the 5th of September. So as an active admin, Horv could not in all the 10 of times he had logged in since removed the pips? As much as I can gather he knew about the situation regarding SAM and red light, yet he still felt it was ok and he could get away with it…?

As the root administrator of the site it is up to him to chose the staff of the site. Silent was the member who laughed and wrote about others ripping in his profile. Yet a few days later he ripped the images and served the exact same punishment as he had previously seen just days earlier. There was not going to be much chance that I would find them, though out of pure curiosity I went onto the forum in order to look at progress of the GTA:Glasgow modification.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE (Demarest @ Sep 26 2005, 09:02)
demchat

BIG difference between inspiration and right-click>save as. No offense, but that argument (about inspiration) is a big stretch in terms of the current discussion.

If you like something and use a color scheme to entice a user, that's fine. Nobody owns the color purple yet. You went through the trouble of finding the hex colors, coding your website, and uploading it to your own server. 100% of the work was done by you. There is no copyright infringement. You didn't steal NOTHING. ( cry.gif )

Then, there's ripping.

Little Jack D Ripper: Oh snap, I love the way that sh*t looks. But I'm not going to bother being creative! f*ck that!

Rightclick>Save As, etc.

Jack didn't do ANY work. Jack infringed on a copyright. I've seen companies get sued over less than a pip. Hell, a candy shop down the street sued another candy shop for using Diploma font on their banner. So the team has a few choices when a ripper is tracked down.

1. They can exhaust their time and resources tracking Jack down.
2. They can just ban his silly ass.

Ripping has never even been TOLERATED, full stop. Screw intent. Pyroboy ripped a piece of mine (didn't even post it here) and he got banned for it.

Ryder15
  • Ryder15

LooseKiD

• Members

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:16 PM

He never said they should stay..he didnt go on the website GTA Glaslow because he was away from the 4th to the 10 or somthing and when he came back he was unable to log in..

Yuck Fou
  • Yuck Fou

<3 Mar

• Members

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:17 AM

Honestly. Who gives a f*ck? I'm happy he's banned.

@Ryder: Refer to the topic in which Neo bitched about someone who was banned for breaking the modding rules. He was never seen e-alive again. rolleyes.gif GTAF is a fascist dictatorship ruled with an iron fist... get used to it lest you go the way of Neo2k83923832983whatthef*ckevertherestofhisname was. smile.gif

Ryder15
  • Ryder15

LooseKiD

• Members

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:07 AM

im Only trying to help him..is wasnt his fault and you all know it.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 September 2005 - 08:52 AM

It's his website, it's his fault. End of story.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users