Photo

R*, release the GTA1-2 source.

3 replies to this topic
Trygve
  • Trygve

Pure evil blackmetal

• Members

Posted 26 September 2005 - 08:25 AM

Both Gta1 and Gta2 are now free for download, R* no longer has any comercial gain from these products.
The game engines are prety dated and it's release would not give away rockstar coding secrets.
So why not release the source?

What would happen if they did:
-Many new mods would come out.
-The community surrounding these games would again be active and R* would get good press.
-We would see people taking R*'s code in a whole new direction, If they release all the filetype specs and such, new tools will pop up, maybe even a MapEditor that works with XP..
-R*'s would get RESPECT+ in the coding/gaming world.

Does anyone else think they should do it? Should we start a petition, or is there already one?

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci

Posted 26 September 2005 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (Trygve @ Sep 26 2005, 09:25)
-Many new mods would come out.
-The community surrounding these games would again be active and R* would get good press.
-We would see people taking R*'s code in a whole new direction, If they release all the filetype specs and such, new tools will pop up, maybe even a MapEditor that works with XP..
-R*'s would get RESPECT+ in the coding/gaming world.

1. maybe, yeah
2. ok maybe
3. who are the people you are mentioning here? and they DID release the file format specs (for GMP and STY but GXT format isn't hard to decode, i done it), they should rather release source code for the map editor.
4. who else but carmack cares about that

aniway i asked R* about this for several times, they don't listen to anything.

Trygve
  • Trygve

Pure evil blackmetal

• Members

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:26 PM

Damn, to bad they don't listen.

3. Sorry my bad, I didn't remember that. (and I spent a few years making gta2 mods for myself). But yeah, I'm with you on that they should release the Editor source.

4. it may make up for the "teh hax00rs made HotCoffee" statement they released. And they should care, because people would respect the company more, and the more people like your company the more you cash in.

The reason I want this, is because I love Gta 1 and 2, and 3 and Vice, and Andreas. And I realy think that some pretty cool stuff could come out of the gta2 source perticulary. Things that are to hard to do with scripting and to cpu consuming to do "outisde".

Hehe, I actualy started a new gta2 mod today, haven't touched this in ages so hope I still know how.

Babrook
  • Babrook

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:49 PM

I think its a great idea, maybe It would show most of the GTA fanbase (teenagers who have no clue how games are made) how much work was put into the first 2 installments.

I still stanb by 2 being the best,

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users