Photo

Liberty City Stories: Secrets and Easter Eggs

359 replies to this topic
ScorpZ
  • ScorpZ

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 January 2006 - 09:54 AM

Candy Suxxx Reference Screenshot (noticed you didn't have one)

http://img497.images.../screen52ig.jpg

Forelli_Boy
  • Forelli_Boy

Your chance to repent on the way downstairs.

• Members

Posted 02 January 2006 - 04:50 PM

Toshiko's "Love turns to Hate" letter dated 5/1998 on the LCS site explains the relationship between the LCS Kassens and the GTAIII Kassens: Kazuki is Kenji and Asuka's brother.

And the Imooga Jiz drive - which had its own ad on Head Radio in GTA2 ("for all your manual entertainment needs!") actually parodies Iomega's 1GB JAZ drive, not the 100/750MB Zip drive.

Doku-san
  • Doku-san

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:27 AM

QUOTE (Forelli_Boy @ Jan 2 2006, 16:50)
And the Imooga Jiz drive - which had its own ad on Head Radio in GTA2 ("for all your manual entertainment needs!") actually parodies Iomega's 1GB JAZ drive, not the 100/750MB Zip drive.

That makes a little more sense. Good job. happy.gif

Arthazzz
  • Arthazzz

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:00 PM

LCS mission:
crazy 69

Sanandreas mission
Pier 69

whats up with that number anyway, it seems like its all over the gta!

Mxyzptlk
  • Mxyzptlk

Misanthropic

• Members

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:05 PM Edited by Mxyzptlk, 06 January 2006 - 02:47 PM.

QUOTE (Arthazzz @ Jan 5 2006, 13:00)
LCS mission:
crazy 69

Sanandreas mission
Pier 69

whats up with that number anyway, it seems like its all over the gta!

Urbandictionary "69" definition (adult themes cry.gif tounge.gif )
Just crude humor from Rockstar.

EDIT: Extremecheese found this movie reference:
QUOTE (Extremecheese)
Somewhere in the advertising burmph for LCS it says :-
"everyday there are thousands of stories in Liberty City, and this is just one of them"
The 1993 movie "a Bronx tale" had more or less the same spoken word introduction, and it was obvious to me that Rockstar was heavily influenced by this film (or even parodied it) when writing Liberty City Stories.
The horned hand hidden packages are clear evidence of this as the character 'Sonny' (who plays the mafia boss) uses that very hand signal to his fellow mobsters throughout the movie.

Check out the attached picture.
Problem sorted smile.gif

user posted image

Forelli_Boy
  • Forelli_Boy

• Members

Posted 08 January 2006 - 12:00 PM

The Electron Zone makes a reference to the Domestabot, first introduced in Vice City and later making a threatening call to Marvin Trill's Area 53 in WCTR.

Holmes
  • Holmes

Homie

• Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:30 PM

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but here goes:

On Staunton Island there is a parking lot on the top northeast corner. Look for a white staircase in between the garage and the parking lot entrances on the south side. Go up the staircase and jump onto the short cement railing. Then turn east and jump up on to the roof overlooking the parking lot (The Liberty City Tree Building) and run across the roof to the other side where you will see a courtyard. Jump down into the coutyard to the northwest. Then on a wall at the end of a courtyard has a smiley face, and a very familiar message: Hello Again, you weren't supposed to be here!
- Holmes

guitarrocker
  • guitarrocker

And they won't rest until you're dead.

• Members

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:17 PM Edited by guitarrocker, 12 January 2006 - 01:04 AM.

you said chatterbox is in the game. is it just a show on LCFR? i dont see it, but i do hear lazlow on LCFR. -GR

EDIT: new easter egg!!! in saint marks there is a building called surplice to requirements, and it is boarded up. on the board you will see the rockstar logo graffitied on colgate.gif

K-JAw
  • K-JAw

Leading whores to water

• Members

Posted 13 January 2006 - 07:13 AM

Yeah, Chatterbox is a show on LCFR, and Lazlow makes reference to the Donald making a 24hr Chatterbox channel.

Here's an egg no one caught yet. Just outside the Pay N Spray area in Shoreside, there's a poster for the movie "Sonny Forelli". Nice little Vice reference, plus it takes off those gangster movies like Donnie Brasco (or however the hell it's spelled). It's almost impossible to see the stars' names, I wonder who played Tommy?

Forelli_Boy
  • Forelli_Boy

• Members

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:19 PM Edited by Forelli_Boy, 21 January 2006 - 12:21 PM.

The "Dragon" jumpsuit is not actually from Kill Bill. The jumpsuit was also the same worn by Bruce Lee in "Enter The Dragon," and the Bride from Kill Bill wears this in parody.

Also, Rails (the snortable cereal) is a reference to the 'white lines' of Cocaine, which happens to be one of Colombia's biggest exports.

CarpetDweller
  • CarpetDweller

The steak is a lie

• The Connection

Posted 21 January 2006 - 12:59 PM Edited by carpetdweller, 17 February 2006 - 04:23 PM.

I just posted this in another topic but I think I should also post it here as this is the general reference for this kind of thing. It's some of the text for the scrolling signs seen around the city.

Blue text on sign in Bedford Point under Funk In Time billboard:
. . . Check in-store for the producers cut DVD Release of the classic scifi movie 'Total Rehab' starring Arnold Steelone - it's not very good but it came out on time

. . . apply for a store card and get 0% off your first purchase . . . 

Our stuff is cheaper than cheap . . .

Buy 12 DVDs get 1 video cassette free . . .

Special offers . . . Special offers . . . Special offers . . .

The time is 18:17 [or whatever the current time is]. . .

... 'Grand Theft Porto' out now . . .

www.rockstarleeds.com . . .

We're closing again! . . . Yes we did so much trade at our last closing down sale that we've managed to stay in business long enough to have another one . . .

[edit] . . . Released this week - 'New Skids On The Pot' Greatest Hits CD 'NUKED IDS' : Includes their big chart hits 'Puppy Phat Luva' and 'Banging Stuff'

From the 3 signs down the street with the yellow text:
. . . Still showing : 'Bad Man Returns - this time it's poor' . . the childhood psychological scars of potty training turned millionaire playboy Brute Lame into 'Bad Man' the crap crusader. Cloaked in darkness. He tracks down all grime in the city ! . . . if you don't flush he'll flush you ! . . .

Liberty Tunnel has been opened to all traffic . . . 

The technicolor spectacular 'Jesus, Mary & Joseph' ! is a godsend ! Being sung entirely in aramaic. Musical may be difficult to follow. But boy there sure are some sandal-tapping tunes in there !

Work shy strikers return to their jobs . . . Staunton Lift Bridge is operational again . . .

This weekend's must see movie is 'Let's make formula' the hugely successful comedy. Romance. Buddy-Buddy. Action movie series continues with the latest installment - 'Honey, I shrunk my skids' . . . and catch this one if you can. 'The Common Cold' . . .

The musical 'Wingding. Sons Of A Bitch Take Flight' is slaying them in theaters across town. Critics have described it as 'Blowing the cobwebs off the musical genre like a divine wind.' . . .
It's an evening of music. Dance. Death and Destruction! Includes the hit song 'All Your Base Are Belong To USA'. You are sure to leave to leave with a smile on your fat face . . .

The time is 18:17 [or whatever the current time is]. . .

Now playing 'Heavy Weapons' Buff T and Suck Wild reunite in the sequel to 'Weapons Of Ass Distraction'. The chips are down and so are the IQ's in this summer's monster blockbuster . . . The President's ass is on the line. He needs a plan to stop freedom being stolen by the bad guys. Step up Buff and Suck! It's time to unleash the heavy weapons and 'suck it to 'em!'

The unmissable 'GTA3. The Musical' is still running in Liberty City Theaters after 250 weeks . . .
Controversy has plagued the production after pressure groups urged concern over a possible causal link between the play and the end of the world . . .

The opera is making a comeback in Liberty City as plans are underway to stage Malbolokov s 'The Pearlfisher's Necklace' . . . A tale about a boy. who is really a girl. That dances for a supper a supper of pheasants. That are really her brother's shoes. Art critic Morgan Merriweather describes it as 'A delight . . . bombastic occlusions aside. It's an indulgence of dizzying wonderment'. . .
L.C. Tonight says. 'She's a hottie!' coming soon . . .

A special preview night of 'Fubar' . An epic urban biopic about life in the ghetto when you're a millionaire gangsta rapper just trying to get by and keep it real . . . stars DB - P. Faith W. & Black Lightman . . . seats still available . . .

www.rockstargames.com . . .

The messages seem to be random so there could be more, but these had repeated a few times before I stopped looking. - This is basically an extension to #52 in the first post.

BTW - @ Kippers - The first post is laid out very well as a definitive list of secrets, easter eggs and just interesting things, but alot of the early ones are still phrased as if they are talking about a game which hasn't been released yet. Might be worth an edit.
---

I wonder if that 'A Bronx Tale' reference - 'Born in the Bronx, Hailed in Los Angeles, Back home in New York' - means that Toni spent the last few years in Los Santos.

-----

Edit: I looked at the other scrolling sign on the staunton mall (near ammunation). It's the one that gives share prices. I'm using the words "up" and "down" to replace the up & down arrows. Here's what it says:
... work shy strikers return to their jobs...

Staunton lift bridge is now operational again...

...The time is 15:41 [or whatever the current time is]...

...Liberty Tunnel has been opened to all traffic...

...www.grandtheftauto3.com...

...Gang war rages in Liberty City...

. . . Shares MJD down 23%  CJW up 5%  Ramman up 7%  HNTR down 43%  NJM down 12%  AAG down 110% . . .

Shares DAV up 15%  JLI down 18%  MAM down 32%  STH up 80% . . .

------

EDIT AGAIN:

Thought I'd point out some of the references as people will get some and not others - I bet I missed some.

Total Rehab starring Arnold Steelone = Total Recall starring Arnold Schwarzenegger

New Skids On The Pot = New Kids On The Block

Bad Man = Batman

Jesus, Mary & Joseph = Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat / Jesus Christ Superstar

Honey, I shrunk my skids = Honey, I shrunk the kids

Wingding. Sons Of A Bitch Take Flight/
All Your Base Are Belong To USA
= Zero Wing + AYB internet phenmenon

Heavy Weapons = Lethal Weapon

GTA3. The Musical "...the end of the world" = A jibe at the farcical extremes to which people blame sole responsibility of the world's problems on a videogame.

The Pearlfisher's Necklace = Girl With The Pearl Earring
Edit: George Bizet's opera "Les pÍcheurs de perles" (The Pearl Fishers) + the Pearl Necklace euphemism.

Fubar = From the acronym F.U.B.A.R.. The stars are those characters that appear in the "False Idols" mission.

El Kameleon
  • El Kameleon

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:43 PM Edited by El Kameleon, 22 January 2006 - 05:29 AM.

heres something that hasnt been mentioned:

I used the rocket boost cheat set at 10 and a PCJ-600, now go to the airport and face west on the straight runway, away from staunton island. then just rocket down the runway, and hit the ramp at the end and dont let go of the gas. pay close attention to the map, you'll see more land appear on the map, but its not physically there. i've done this many times, and i cant find any other similarities to the rest of the map. what could this be? it only appears for a second, cause once you go too far, you get teleported back sad.gif unfortunately when you take screenshots with the cheat device, it takes the HUD away, so i cant get any screens.

EDIT: on second thought, afer looking more closely, it does kinda look like a mirrored version of the end of the runway, but its not very clear, i could be wrong. Another thing, if you do this repeatedly, i'v found that the character model for tony will disappear leaving you with just the bike, and you cant get off tounge.gif so it looks like you are just a PCJ-600 biggrin.gif

user posted image

Figured out the HUD thing, so here's a vid! blink.gif

Kanney
  • Kanney

4-8-15-16-23-42

• Members

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Holmes @ Jan 11 2006, 19:30)
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but here goes:

On Staunton Island there is a parking lot on the top northeast corner. Look for a white staircase in between the garage and the parking lot entrances on the south side. Go up the staircase and jump onto the short cement railing. Then turn east and jump up on to the roof overlooking the parking lot (The Liberty City Tree Building) and run across the roof to the other side where you will see a courtyard. Jump down into the coutyard to the northwest. Then on a wall at the end of a courtyard has a smiley face, and a very familiar message: Hello Again, you weren't supposed to be here!
- Holmes

This was found the day it came out.

Oh and at Arthazz, ah kids, 69 is in almost every game of GTA, and probably many times.

Milk_Time
  • Milk_Time

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:34 PM Edited by Milk_Time, 24 January 2006 - 09:39 PM.

In the instruction manual, they have, in the special thanks section, "Red" (From Red Dead Revolver) And "Big Foot".

Vanillainy
  • Vanillainy

Fancy Clown.

• Zaibatsu

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

Big foot does graffiti for GTA and TonyHawk its a nickname. Thus started the big foor rumor.

Also the famous rockstar star formation is back, look up into the sky at night to see the shape of the R in the sky.

DeusExMachina
  • DeusExMachina

The Machine is Bleeding

• Members

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:22 PM

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the mission name "Guns of Leone" is a parody of the movie "Guns of Navarone." Navarone was also the weapons code in GTA2.

Mxyzptlk
  • Mxyzptlk

Misanthropic

• Members

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (DeusExMachina @ Jan 26 2006, 17:22)
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the mission name "Guns of Leone" is a parody of the movie "Guns of Navarone." Navarone was also the weapons code in GTA2.

I saw it mentioned somewhere else but a lit for this topic of all the movie title spoofs might be cool (unless every mission title is).

Birdcage_999
  • Birdcage_999

財閥

• Members

Posted 27 January 2006 - 01:55 PM

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but there is a Vinewood reference on "Radio Del Mundo". If you listen to the comentator he says something like spreading the love form Bollywood to Vinewood.

DeusExMachina
  • DeusExMachina

The Machine is Bleeding

• Members

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Mxyzptlk @ Jan 27 2006, 13:44)
QUOTE (DeusExMachina @ Jan 26 2006, 17:22)

I saw it mentioned somewhere else but a lit for this topic of all the movie title spoofs might be cool (unless every mission title is).

There's quite a few missions referencing film names.

Noru
  • Noru

Whats to tell?

• Members

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:49 AM

I don't know if anyone knows this but on the roof which the mission calm before the strom takes place you can see a binco billboard.

Original GTA Master
  • Original GTA Master

"The Harwood Butcher"

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:49 AM

a lot of people probebly mentioned this but the snow thing does not work once you get to level 6 in the car show room the missions end

TXF
  • TXF

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

i dont know if anyone said this yet, but I just forund this..

user posted image

Birdcage_999
  • Birdcage_999

財閥

• Members

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:08 PM Edited by Birdcage_999, 05 February 2006 - 01:20 PM.

@TXF:I don't think that has been posted yet but it is quite typical of R* to put there logos wherever they can. Also, if you look and the Black Ped with the White cap, zoom into his cap you will be able to see the R* logo aswell. Also there is a Boyz'n the Hood reference on the 'Toyz' van. If you look on the side of it, it says 'Toyz'n the Hood'.

RCagent
  • RCagent

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE ([NX] Joao.pt @ Dec 27 2005, 14:33)
I think i found one easter egg smile.gif

In the map that comes with the game i found this

user posted image

Its the warez version of San andreas (HOODLUM) happy.gif

Am I the only one who is reminded of "THE APPRENTICE" when seeing that?

Angel_Gabriel
  • Angel_Gabriel

The Fallen

• Members

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:45 PM

I'm suprised no one has mentioned this yet but the Super Market next to Portland Harbour is a spoof on the Super Market Company "Lidl" it is in fact called "Fidl" (Read Fiddle).

Forelli_Boy
  • Forelli_Boy

• Members

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:54 PM

When you try to pronounce R.C. Hole's name you get something along the lines of "Arsie" Hole. The kind of guy he is, really.

cerberusxxxx
  • cerberusxxxx

★★☆ cerberusô☆★★

• Members

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:08 AM

hi
i was messing with the gravity spent about 3 minutes going straight up
and my gun changed 2 a gun that iv'e never seen before i had 99 shots
i tryd all 3 weapon sets and it isnt there could anyone tell me if its somewhere
in the game where i can get it or how 2 get it again

http://www.filelodge...883/screen1.bmp[/IMG]

swat_killer
  • swat_killer

I hate all fanboys

• Members

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (cerberusxxxx @ Feb 9 2006, 04:08)
hi
i was messing with the gravity spent about 3 minutes going straight up
and my gun changed 2 a gun that iv'e never seen before i had 99 shots
i tryd all 3 weapon sets and it isnt there could anyone tell me if its somewhere
in the game where i can get it or how 2 get it again

http://www.filelodge...883/screen1.bmp[/IMG]

doesnt hat thing glows at night?

Sly_Madman
  • Sly_Madman

Dripping with coolness.

• Members

Posted 09 February 2006 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (RCagent @ Feb 5 2006, 23:14)
QUOTE ([NX)
Joao.pt,Dec 27 2005, 14:33] I think i found one easter egg  smile.gif

In the map that comes with the game i found this

[picture]

Its the warez version of San andreas (HOODLUM) happy.gif

Am I the only one who is reminded of "THE APPRENTICE" when seeing that?

Has it ever occured to anyone that Donald Love is based on Donald Trump? Think about this... He pretty much owns all Liberty City, Trump pretty much owns all of NYC. He has a tower in Liberty City, Trump has a tower in NYC.

Mxyzptlk
  • Mxyzptlk

Misanthropic

• Members

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:23 PM Edited by Mxyzptlk, 14 February 2006 - 03:37 PM.

QUOTE (carpetdweller @ Jan 21 2006, 07:59)
The Pearlfisher's Necklace = Girl With The Pearl Earring

I thought of this instead of a movie: Pearl Necklace (adult theme oh noes!)

I found another teaser website for a "edutainment" video game:
PastMaster
Here's a teaser site for a board game:
It's Vivisection!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users