» «
Photo

Basic UV Mapping in Zmod1.07b

5 replies to this topic
Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:48 PM Edited by Cran., 08 September 2005 - 12:59 PM.

user posted image

This is a basic tutorial, which will explain the basics of Mapping in Zmod. For this tutorial, I will be using Zmod 1.07b because in my opinion, this is the best version of Zmod, as Zmod2 is confusing... (BTW, look out for some things replaces by questions marks, I originaly typed this up in word.
Anyway onto the tutorial.

For an example, I will be using my Cadillac CTS Spoof. Now that your up to the stage of mapping, I will assume that you have a near-completed model already, and a texture. Make sure that your texture is divisible by 2 (For example, 128x128), also make sure that the format is one that is compatible with Zmod. (Such as bmp, tga and others) In every step, I have included a pic on where everything should be, so even for you new people who don�t know Zmod that well, you should be able to complete this tutorial.

user posted image
The texture I will be using

//Index\\

1st page/post
1) Creating a new material
2) Appling your texture to your new material
i) Getting up to loading your texture
ii) Appling your texture
3) Selecting and assigning your polygons to a material.
2nd page/post
4) Assigning your material.
5) Moving around the mapped polies
Step one.
Creating a new material.

a) Press 'e' or click on the material editor button user posted image
b) Because there is already a default material and no others (If no mapping has been done already) and then click on click on copy. (Note my default material is called [prim])

user posted image

Step two.
Appling your texture to your new material
i) Getting up to loading your texture

a) Double click on the white box where the name of the material is and re-name it to something constructive.
b) Click on the Primary Texture box
c) Click on the 'load map' button and a new box will appear.

user posted image

ii) Appling your texture
Note: Don't mind the textures that are already there, they are just textures that I�m already currently using.
a) Click on the add box, and using the newly appeared box, search for you texture.
b) After your new texture appears, click on it and see if it is the correct one. After that click ok, and it will bring you back to the Material editor with your texture selected on the box.

Step three.
Selecting and assigning your polygons

user posted image

As you can see, I've made some new polygons for this texture. It consists more of 2 polies that make a box so it will fit around the body perfectly. If I used the body as it was, it owuld come out weird.

a) Click the faces button, which is located near the axis tools user posted image
b) If you haven't already selected your object into faces mode, click on your object in the editing views or User view. The unselected object should turn blue when you hover over it, just in case you didn't know.

Your object should look like this (with the dots, not like the actaul model smile.gif

user posted image

c) Where ever your tools are, click on Select>Single
d) Now right-click on the desired polies (The ones you want to texture). The polies should turn red if you have selected them.

Tip: If it is hard to select the polies in the editing views, try using the User View, which can be easier on some occasions.

e) Now go over to the objects box, right click on the object and go Faces>Properties.
f) A new dialog box should appear. Click on the Material box and select your New Material you created in Step 1.
g) Click on ok.

user posted image

Continued in next post.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:59 PM

Part 2.

Step four.
Assigning your material

Now that your polies have been assigned to a material, lets UV assign them.
a) Before you do anything, press space or click on this button. Ensure that this button is clicked down, otherwise all our polies will not be Assigned to the UV.
b) Change one of the editing views to UV mapper. (Right click on one of the names of the view, and click UV Mapper)
c) Click Surface>Mapping>Assign UV and click on one of the selected polies in the appropriate editing view.

user posted image

Now you can see that the texture has appeared on your polies. I've also cropped in a picture of UV Mapper in this screen show to show you the association between these two. You'll noticed in most cases that the polies do not contain the whole texture. The reason behind this is that the polies have not been moved around in the UV Mapper. I will explain how to do this in the next step.

user posted image

Step five.
Moving around the mapped polies

Now that you've UV assigned the polies onto the texture, now you will have to move them so the texture will appear correctly.

Note: Make sure you click on selection mode (Or press space) before attempting to move polies.

a) Click objects mode.
b) If you hover over the polies in UV Mapper, you�ll notice that you can modify them. You can even go into Vertices mode and move them that way. The easiest way to correct these polies is to scale and move them in objects mode. Play around with this until you move the polies into the right position. This may take a bit to get the hang of.

Tip: If your texture appears backwards, you can always click on the X axis, and click on Modify>Mirror, then click on your polies in UV Mapper. Your polies may go to one side and away from you texture, but you can simply move them back for further adjustments.

user posted image

You can see here that the polies are completely over the texture, and therefore look correct on the model.

Congrats, you have mastered the basics of UV Mapping. Try some other mapping using the skills you've learnt here. Happy mapping biggrin.gif

If there is something you don't understand here, feel free to add me on MSN or PM me. I felt like I forgot something in there tounge.gif

Augh
  • Augh

Unspoiled by progress

• Members

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:18 PM Edited by Augh, 08 September 2005 - 12:23 PM.

I'd change that instance of "256x128" to something less nonstandard such as 256x256, or 128x128. R* did use some "half slice" maps in parts of SA, but it ain't so standard really, and will confuse the sh*t out of a lot of uvw mapper systems if it isn't 1:1 proportioned.

Just a thought, great effort otherwise.

rampage_ani.gif

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

Edited that. I was a bit confused about what I was going to put there, thanks.

YeTi
  • YeTi

S'up Bitches?

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:55 PM

Not a bad tutorial. The detail on it isn't excellent but i've seen a sh*t load worse. Well done.

Bandiits
  • Bandiits

Mats

• Members

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

sorry for the big bump, but can i add textures on chassis?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users