Where I'm From

3 replies to this topic
Brown Streak RR
  • Brown Streak RR

GTAF Train Freakô

• Members

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:33 PM

Okay.

So, I think I'm pretty decent at writing. I mean, for a 10th grade American High School student. More so that I'm writing my own book, I just haven't gotten around to start jotting it down yet. (Remember 'Highball'? That was me. I seriously need to get back to work.)

Anyway, we had to write a poem for English class. Our teacher asked us where we were from. All of us answered with a city/location. It was from here where she told us we need to go more in depth, and where your from isn't the place you were born, but rather a number of things that have influenced your life.

Then she showed us an example and told us to write our own poem of where your from. I know it's hard to understand that you don't know me, so if you have a question on imagery in the poem, or the point I'm getting across, I'll try to explain.

She wanted us to 'show' with images, rather than tell.

Please let me know what you think.

And, in case you're wondering, I was born in New Hope, Pennsylvania, USA. Here is an About.com article, and if you're really curious, try a Google search for more about the town itself.

I then moved to Boston, MA when I was 11. Then down here to Tampa, FL when I was 14, seeing how my family was miserable in Boston for personal reasons.

I look forward to any replies.

Where I'm From...

I am from the train whistle that blows on Main Street,
From the chugging of the engine as she pulls into the picturesque depot.
I am from the town on the river, where the barges float alongside the donkeys,
From the town where clicking and clacking on the cobblestone streets makes you think of that peaceful summer day, melting ice cream oozing down your hand.

I am from those "Trick-or-Treat!" nights with the oversize candy bars,
From where Christmas mornings were filled with laughter and joy,
And with that bright red dot that seemed to shadow me whenever I tore off the wrapping.
I am from the smokes in the garage, and the chair which now lays empty, the bus departed, and its occupant long found a way to another world.

I am from the snow days and Delaware River floods,
From the winter days where tunnels were constructed in the snow,
And when classes were suspended, while the good times were not.
I am from those childhood playdates and the "Capture the Flag" and the "Jump the Donut", where my speed and skill were put to use.

I am from the rickety wooden coasters that adorned the Pennsylvania forest,
And the times when popcorn and snowcones were all one needed in life.
I am from the birthday parties at Happytimes where pizza and cake ruled the monstrous arcade and indoor rides.
I am from the steaming chicken noodle soup on the flimsy tray while lying in bed away from school because of one winterís cold.

I am from the heartbroken relocations from south to north to south again.
I am from the happy endeavors, and the sad ones that came and went.
I am from the Atlas truck as it carried my belongings hundreds of miles, leaving priceless memories in the dust, as if they were nonexistent.
I am from the summer car rides south to the scent of cookies and the buzzing of golf carts.

I am from the trips around the world, where every flight leaves a mark.
I am from the Aussies, the kangaroos, and those whom the memories were shared with.
I am from Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Chicago, Vegas, and all those places spoken with no explanation, with insensitive replies of "Wow!" and "Good for you!".
I am from the cultures and the openness the world has to offer.

I am from the startling transition to hurricane days, where snow takes its absence.
I am from the warm days on the reclining chair with my feet covered in grains of pearly white dirt, where stress doesnít have a need to exist.
I am from the pool and screaming children where there is money to be made, and Iím from the parents who provide the endless stream of compliments.

I am from me.
I am from the picnics on the river in Pennsylvania.
I am from the field trips to Plymouth Rock and the witchcraft ridden Salem.
I am from the city on the Gulf Coast where life is in the tropics.
I am from everywhere.

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:16 AM

errr, I understand you but one can only sit through so many dry "I am" statements confused.gif

Tighten it up! Too many points for one writ!

Greatmideas, just too much piled up! I did like to read it though, keep writing!

hope to see how you write in your early twenties!

Brown Streak RR
  • Brown Streak RR

GTAF Train Freakô

• Members

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (dertyjerzian @ Sep 3 2005, 02:16)
errr, I understand you but one can only sit through so many dry "I am" statements confused.gif

Tighten it up! Too many points for one writ!

Greatmideas, just too much piled up! I did like to read it though, keep writing!

hope to see how you write in your early twenties!

lol.gif

Thanks.

Sorry for the boring 'I am' statements, but that was what we had to do for the poem. Our 'guidelines', really.

Couldn't help it.

Thanks for the comments.

Antinark
  • Antinark

War is Peace.

• The Connection

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:22 AM

A GOOD writer chooses their words very carefully. You should try and say all that in one sentence.

Keep at it kiddo. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users