Quantcast

» «
Photo

GTA a spin off from the old Road Warrior game?

4 replies to this topic
D'arteest
  • D'arteest

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:52 PM

Hey everyone - whats up!
The other day I was cleaning out my office cabinets and found 2 old video game cds. One was called "Quarrantine" and the other "Road Warrior" by Gametek. As I looked at the two cds I couldn't help wondering if "TakeTwo" and "Rockstar" had copied the ideas from these original games and incorporated it into the now GTA series. It's amazing how close these game are in content and subject manner. Mind you, these two games came out in 1994. I ran it on an old windows 95 system.

So I did some research and found this short article.
------------------------------------------------------------------
GameTek (GameTek, Inc.) was a leading UK video game developer and publisher, perhaps best known for such games as Frontier: Elite 2 and Humans. They also made numerous computerized versions of television shows such as Wheel of Fortune, Hollywood Squares, Jeopardy and American Gladiators.

GameTek filed for Chapter 11 in 1997, but closed down for good in July 1998. Some of the company's assets were acquired by Take 2 Interactive in 1997.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameTek
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to know if any of you guys have any information on the origins of Take2 and If I am correct in my assumptions.

Xanarki
  • Xanarki

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 August 2005 - 01:21 AM

Wow. Nice findings there. I remember those two games, and I'm guessing their quite similar to GTA.

nathan360
  • nathan360

King of San Andreas

• Members

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:54 PM

I found this review here: Quarantine II: Road Warrior

Based on that review, I can spot some obvious similarities. For example, both games take place in various make believe city areas. Driving a car is one of the main themes of the game. Both games are shooters and have gangs as enemies. Also, in-game currency is used in exchange for weapon and vehicle upgrades. You have an in-game map to navigate your way around the city. Last, the game is split up into a series of missions where you drive around and kill people. I have to say, D'arteest, this is an interesting bit of history. I have never played Quarantine. It would be nice if R* somehow managed to offer it free of charge at their classic games website.

-Natedogg devil.gif

Kippers
  • Kippers

皆こんいちわ

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 September 2005 - 12:50 AM

erm...i don't remember gta looking like this
user posted image
That's what i got when i typed Quarantine II: Road Warrior

LLD
  • LLD

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:13 AM

Wonderful, Underdogs is allowing downloading of this game for free for anyone who wants to try it. And no, the site isn't warez, it's just a bunch of old games taken off the market and they are legally allowed to allow for people to download them.

Link : http://www.the-under...ame.php?id=1526

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users