Basics of Modding

No replies to this topic
ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

I'm not wack, im all wacked-out!

• Members

Posted 21 August 2005 - 07:16 PM

Modding GTASA

Note: This is going to be a work in progress, I'm only starting tonite, tomarrow I will make a few more sections

Before I start, if you have not changed your game than please do the following (atleast read, it will save you some headache)
Copy the DATA/MODELS/TEXT folders (located where you installed GTASA is at), to another folder (I like calling mine "Backup")
If you have already started modding your game, (if you don't like the mods you have, or thay crash from time to time) than I suggest you re-install GTASA and make a backup afterwards.

What is covered:
Section A: What tools there are, and what they do.
Section B: What can you edit and not have to start a new save?
Section C: How can I add car mods to my game.
Section D: How can I add shirts and clothes mods to my game.
Section E: How to make your own Tattoos.

Section A: What tools there are, and what they do.

TXD Workshop - used to add/edit files to the TXD files
GTASA-Ultimate Editor or IMG Tool v2 - to edit the IMG files
With "IMG Tool v2" you have to Rebuild the IMG file every time
ZModeler2 (must buy to use import Dff) or 3D Studio Max (works with the Demo version wink.gif ) - allows you to make 3D objects (beyound the scope of this tutorial)
Notepad - or any text editor
A good picture program that supports TGA format - to edit pictures that get stored in the TXD files.
The reason I say TGA is because thats the best support you have with TXD workshop sad.gif
WinRar - this will allow you to extract Zip/Rar files.
Barton's Mission Editor v0.33 (fixed) - This allows you to edit the SCM (script) files for San Andreas (beyound the scope of this tutorial)

There are some more tools but most are covered by GTASA-Ultimate Editor (any that I need to add to the list I will)

[b]Section B: What can you edit and not have to start a new save?

You can edit everything but "Script" Mods (SCM files) this is because GTA saves what is in your game memory to file, so if you edit it, than there is not enough information for the save (or the wrong info), and it crashes.
Here is a fix for the problem, it is kinda complicated, probly more of a pain than its worth.

Section C: How can I add car mods to my game.
Tools you need for this section:
IMG Tool v2 (or GTASA-UE), and Notepad

Here is the Mod I'm going to be using in this example.
'Tumbler' Batmobile

Now that you have the file downloaded...
1) We need to extract it using WinRar to a folder. Let's call it "batmobile" for now.
2) Once that is completed we need to take a look at the readme.txt.
Please note that almost all mods have a readme file that explains how the author wanted there mod installed.
2) open "[GTASA Installed Folder]/MODELS/gta3.img" with your IMG editor (GTASA-Ultimate Editor or IMG Tool 2.0)

3)replace "phoenix.dff" and "phoenix.txd" with the files in the folder you extracted your mod to.
if you are using IMG Tool v2 then you need to rebuild the file now

4) Open "handling.cfg" in "[GTASA Installed Folder]/DATA/" folder and find the line that starts with "PHOENIX" and highlight the whole line.

5) now look for "handling.cfg" in the Readme, if it is there than the line should look like:
CODE
PHOENIX 5000.0 20000.0 2.2 0.0 0.1 -0.15 85 0.7 0.9 0.52 5 200.0 26.0 5.0 R P 6.0 0.55 0 30.0 0.8 0.08 0.0 0.28 -0.24 0.59 0.4 0.25 0.1 350000 20286000 00708403 1 1 0

now copy the line out of the readme and paste it on top of the line in the "handling.cfg" file.

6) now save "handling.cfg"

7) do steps 4, 5, and 6 for vehicles.ide, carcols.dat, carmods.dat if they are in the Readme file

Note: You can install car mods on other cars with a little modifaction to the Data lines. I will get into this in a bit.

Section D: How can I add shirts and clothes mods to my game.
IMG Tool v2 (or GTASA-UE)

Here is the Mod I'm going to be using in this example.
5 Various T-Shirt Mods

1) We need to extract it using WinRar to a folder. Let's call it "5 tshirts" for now.
2) Once that is completed we need to take a look at the readme.txt.
Please note that almost all mods have a readme file that explains how the author wanted there mod installed.
2) open "[GTASA Installed Folder]/MODELS/player.img" with your IMG editor (GTASA-Ultimate Editor or IMG Tool 2.0)

3)replace "tshirtwhite.txd" with the files in the folder you extracted your mod to.
if you are using IMG Tool v2 then you need to rebuild the file now

4) than you can just do step 3 with the other files in the folder.

Note: If you choose to install this on another shirt, than you have to be sure the model is set to "tshirt" in the [GTASA Installed Folder]/DATA/shopping.dat" file.

Section E: How to make your own Tattoos.
IMG Tool v2 (or GTASA-UE)
TXD Workshop
A Graphics Editor

Before we continue let me tell you how Alpha channels work.
Basicly an alpha is what tells San Andreas what to draw.
Black being transparent
White being visible
(note: you can alos use grey which will determain how transparent it is, dark grey you can hardly see and light grey well be more visible.)

Also how do you know where a tattoo is going to show up on CJ.
You can view CJ's body txd "player_torso.txd" to see where they go. Here is the picture extracted.
user posted image

For this section we will need to extract a tattoo to edit.
1) Open up [GTASA Installed Folder]/MODELS/player.img" with the IMG Editor.
2) Extract "BGun.txd"
3) Now open "BGun.txd" in TXD Workshop.
4) Click on "alpha/mask" at the bottom. Now you should see your tattoo's shape.
5) Export that picture then click "Image" and export it too. (This is for color tattoos)

Now to edit it.
1) Open tatcolora.tga (or bmp) in your graphics program.
2) Ok if your using the torso pic above as a guide line, than you can just paint the whole picture black. (If not than paint a square around the tattoo so you will know where it goes, than paint the tattoo black, be sure to paint the outline black before saving.)
3) Ok now just draw your tatto using white.
And for Color Tattoos:
4) Copy the whole tattoo picture to the "tatcolor.tga" (or bmp)
5) Now fill in the Tattoo with color

Here is an Example of what your pictures could look like:
user posted image tatcolor.tga

user posted image tatcolora.tga

To put the tattoo back into the game.
1) Open "BGun.txd" in TXD Workshop nd besure "Image" at the bottom is clicked.
2) Import "tatcolor.tga" in.
3) Click "Alpha/Mask" and import "tatcolora.tga" in.
4) Save and Exit TXD Workshop
5) Open up [GTASA Installed Folder]/MODELS/player.img" with the IMG Editor.
6) Replace "BGun.txd" with the one you just edited.

7) Now just buy "Gun" for the Upper Back and it should be your tattoo.

Note: You can use a GXT Editor to rename the name.

This topic was made to give simple instructions on how, and what, you can mod, if there is anything you want added just post, and I will see if I can't figure it out, or tell you the program need for it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users