Photo

Import DFF from different program

13 replies to this topic
Kam
  • Kam

JINX

• Members

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hi all, I think lot of people here know that my DFF IO script can import almost all dff into MAX!
My original idea is to ease the modelling step by importing any dff as REFERENCE and/or for people crossing different program himself!

Unfortunately, some people start stealing/using others' creation without permission! So a backward request on imcompetence is rasing!

Personally, I don't like any kinds of lock/protection etc. Because it make the file become non-standard. Even it may not crash ingame at once, you never know if any side-effect/potential-problem awaiting! Consider we are not 100% sure on DFF Format atm!!!

Here are some suggestion I recieved, I would like your option to continue my development:

- Do not support non-standard DFF importing.
- Add lock/protection to my dff export
- Add user info inside the dff to keep track of stealing

Thanks

demonj0e
  • demonj0e

Sa Coder In Training

• Members

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:29 PM

not sure if this would be annoying or any use but is it possible to add some sort of password or key so if people need to use it for their mod or something they must get a key or pass from the original author to proove they have permission

Rollies77
  • Rollies77

Joy Rider

• Members

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:02 PM

The more the features the better. So, yes, it supports non-standard DFF importing, and yes, it has lock/protection option, and yes, it keeps track of user info. Now the problem with stealing, imo, is really a morality case. One can't really prevent it by mere locks. I mean, by having it locked, one can always picked. So I wouldn't really bother. But having locks would surely make it rich. At least we've done something to prevent.

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (Kam @ Aug 10 2005, 19:21)

the first option would be more than enough, you could also add dummy sections to separate parts that would make zmodeler crash easily when encountering the chunks but other programs like GGMM would still handle the file (in my case i only render them)

Gforce
  • Gforce

• Feroci
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

for me, the features that i would most like to see regarding all dff imorters or exporter's is the ability to import or export from a specific version of dff, for example :- the VC and SA game engines both support the use of map based models in RW 3.4 format which basically means that any map modeller can make a mod that the models can be used in both game engines without any modification to get them to work, as for locking dff files in zmodeler that is a basic waste of time because any experienced modder can unlock them and modify them with very little effort although the ability to open them without having to unlock them would be nice,one other very nice feature would be the ability to export a txd of all the files used for the dff you are exporting, if this could be done at the same time as exporting a dff then all the better. i have a few more idea's but i am too drunk atm to think of them.

thank you again for all the work you have put into helping us modders Kam, your work is greatly appreciated.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 12 August 2005 - 04:31 AM

I think dis-allowing DFFs of a non-standard nature (ie, Zmod 2) is a terrific idea.

i don't think you need to add a NEW lock, just keep the existing zmod-style lock. If you do decide to add something else, i've got another idea..

This is easily possible, and i have infact done it. The game has no problem with the extra data either.

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:29 AM Edited by dertyjerzian, 12 August 2005 - 05:40 AM.

Edit: identity protected, as it should be!

I had more here, you guys can remove this reply if you see fit. But yea, my boss wouldnt like it if he got a hold of any of my work. peace.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:42 AM

user info? bad idea. Can be done in a readme and in the TXD as an extra image. User info should be available ONLY for those who need it. As I can't see any reason at all why any member here should have info about my name, whereabouts, and liscense status, I can only frown upon this

dude, not THAT kind of user info. More like "Model and contents created by <name>", if its even that long. And at any rate, it will almost certainly be optional, so you dont HAVE to add it if you dont want to.

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:45 AM

awesome. I'm thinking name, address, bios, admin password tounge.gif nah, good stuff. biggrin.gif

JernejL
  • JernejL

Big Homie

• Feroci

Posted 12 August 2005 - 12:05 PM

you could store and encode the network number of the exporter's computer network card and allow only to him to import the model back..

* don't take this seriously, it is just a idea

Monitor57
  • Monitor57

LC - II Designer

• Members

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (Gforce @ Aug 11 2005, 21:33)
for me, the features that i would most like to see regarding all dff imorters or exporter's is the ability to import or export from a specific version of dff, for example :- the VC and SA game engines both support the use of map based models in RW 3.4 format which basically means that any map modeller can make a mod that the models can be used in both game engines without any modification to get them to work, as for locking dff files in zmodeler that is a basic waste of time because any experienced modder can unlock them and modify them with very little effort although the ability to open them without having to unlock them would be nice,one other very nice feature would be the ability to export a txd of all the files used for the dff you are exporting, if this could be done at the same time as exporting a dff then all the better. i have a few more idea's but i am too drunk atm to think of them.

thank you again for all the work you have put into helping us modders Kam, your work is greatly appreciated.

i agree with gforce on his subject, as he has just discovered some of my map files in max use alot of textures (upto 110 for 1 lot)

u see the thing is gforce's idea wouldnt be so stupid in a situation like this, its fairly possible to do aswell.

all textures inside a max file have the texture destination stored, so it could just grab the texture from the destination add it to a txd and export all textures inside a file at the same time of .dff.

thanks kam for any desicion made, everyone feel free to debate about it smile.gif

- M57

Ryan_
  • Ryan_

Ryan_ aka 4:20

• Members

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:47 PM

It would be sweet to have the option to export the dff/txd and col all at once!
Like put a checkmark beside what you want to export.

DexX
  • DexX

Black Hat

• Feroci

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (Ryan_ @ Sep 6 2005, 16:47)
It would be sweet to have the option to export the dff/txd and col all at once!
Like put a checkmark beside what you want to export.

dff and col is possible. txd is alot trickier.

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:59 AM

dff and col, i asked about that in another topic/on mirc/Kam pm/or Steve PM, don't remember,

Would rock socks all day though!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users