Photo

Karma Contest #1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic
steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 10 August 2005 - 05:25 PM

Since mapping research activity for SA is still quite low at the moment, we decided to start a competition, awarding karma stars for major breakthroughs in the tasks given below.

There are no restrictions, everyone is allowed (and encouraged) to contribute, and the reward is not necessarily limited to one person. However, this is mainly aimed at those who are still new to the forums and modding, but are eager and willing to contribute.

Do not post previously known or stolen facts!

- - - - -

Task 1 - 'cull' sections of .ipl files

What is it?

The cull sections are used to create certain effects related to the camera position. You can use it to disable rain, garbage, water and other effects or restrict the camera from entering certain areas, but also to create mirror and floor reflections.

How to get started?

You can find these definitions in the section entitled 'cull' inside .ipl files, such as cull.ipl and tunnels.ipl. The entries can have varying ammounts of parameters, depending on their function.

Related topics:
description of VC's cull sections (different from SA!)
screens and mirrors in SA

What to find out?

remaining parameters; as many flags as possible; give examples how to create a new mirror and cull zone

Task 2 - water.dat

What is it?

Text file to define water rectangles.

How to get started?

One line per water rectangle, consisting of the four corner points (7 float values each) and an integer at the end (normally 1). The first 3 values of each point are the XYZ coordinates, the last one is the wave height. Point order is SW, SE, NW, NE.

What to find out?

remaining parameters; limitations; possibilities

- - - - -

Happy modding. If this gets good results, we might have more such contests.

spaceeinstein
  • spaceeinstein

巧克力

• GTA Mods Staff
  • Hong-Kong
  • Major Contribution Award [Mods]
    Helpfulness Awards [Mods]

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:50 AM Edited by spaceeinstein, 11 August 2005 - 06:06 PM.

I think the cull.ipl also controls the lowering of wanted levels in the countryside/desert. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I rocks. An update for crap-free zones:
bottom mid X, bottom mid Y, bottom mid Z, always 0?, X Width?, Y Width?, Z height?, always 0?, top mid Z?, unknown, Flag, ?
EX: 276.583, 1956.03, 15.516, 0, 15.5164, 15.516, 10.3843, 0, 25.516, 8, 0 (Area 69 hangar)

I found some more things. It's like Vice City. Some of the flags I tested.
-1 = Four stars, camera stops outside of cull area and tracks player remotely
0 = ?
1 = Forces a close camera mode
2 = Camera stops outside of cull area and tracks player remotely
4 = ?
8 = No weather effect (rain), shiney floor when wet.
16 = ?
32 = ?
64 = ?
128 = ?
256 = ?
512 = ?
1024 = uses player viewpoint for realtime reflections
2048 = ?
4096 = uses player viewpoint for realtime reflections
8192 = ?
16384 = uses player viewpoint for realtime reflections
32768 = ?
33792 = uses player viewpoint for realtime reflections

I used this for testing: 2492.3, -1680.6, 10.0, 0, 30.0, 30.0, 30.0, 0, 40.0, 8, 0
Pretty crappy.

Why you move this to General Discussion?

Ottae
  • Ottae

Zoom-Zoom

• Niue

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:49 PM

i guess only people with the PC version can do this huh? -OT TAE

StallionGT
  • StallionGT

*+ || =------------------= || +*

• Members

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:23 PM

I guess so, I probably still wouldn't do this because I'd like to earn the karma on my own.

RainingAcid
  • RainingAcid

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:29 PM

This could be interesting. I'll try and see what I know.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 11 August 2005 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (StallionGT @ Aug 11 2005, 19:23)
I'd like to earn the karma on my own.

This is exactly what this contest is about. blink.gif

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:45 PM

Setting the second-to-last value of a CULL line marks the zone as a military zone. You will recieve a 5-star wanted level whenever you enter the zone.

I'm publicising this.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:16 AM

Blub I only use inst and enex confused.gif , maybe that the unknown one is the heaven number? LIke with the camera angle in the SF garage?

Viva Gta San Andreas.
  • Viva Gta San Andreas.

Viva, extra sorbent.

• Members

Posted 12 August 2005 - 08:47 AM

Who pineed it? Put it pinned here:

http://www.gtaforums...p?showforum=126

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

QUOTE (viva gta san andreas @ Aug 12 2005, 03:47)

Why would it be pinned outside the modding section? confused.gif

I'll be playing with those entries soon because I must, but my fingers are crossed for everyone! Good luck everybody!

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2005 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (viva gta san andreas @ Aug 12 2005, 09:47)

Note: you are not a moderator.

tommy vercetti guy
  • tommy vercetti guy

A fellow canadian

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:14 PM

Dang it, I want a karma star but I dont know a thing you modders are talking about! confused.gif

San andreas master
  • San andreas master

.:%$Catonic$%:.

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:30 PM Edited by San andreas master, 12 August 2005 - 10:34 PM.

I will have a look in the water.dat and see what I can get cracking, whereas in the ipl files I've never even had a close look really. @ ottae this is pretty obvious it's for a pc platform confused.gif - S.A.M

GTASan Andreas CJ Rules
  • GTASan Andreas CJ Rules

ARMax_King

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:38 PM Edited by GTASan Andreas CJ Rules, 12 August 2005 - 10:55 PM.

OK For Water.Dat

What I Have Found & All I Think There Is:

1. The 6th Parameter In Each Set Of 7 Parameters Controls The Hieght Of Waves (EG: 1.0 Is About The Biggest Waves used In-Game)

2. The 1st Parameter In Each Set Of 7 Parameters Controls The Water Hieght For Each Individual Area Of Water In The Game.

I Dont Think That There Is Anything Else To Find On Water.Dat

The Only Things Needed Is The Water Hieght And Wave Hieght.

MAcSandNinEs
  • MAcSandNinEs

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:43 AM

I think that people should get stars for not spamming, and helping out. This means that smart modders get a whole bunch while others don't spam or flame, and they don't get any. That's just my opinion, so you guys can carry on with your work. ~M$&9$~

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:03 PM Edited by Fireman, 15 August 2005 - 03:55 PM.

Maybe the unknown number is the heaven number?

51L3N7 4554551N
  • 51L3N7 4554551N

Feel the Wrath of Pingu!

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:04 PM

Steve, can't you make the questions more 'universal' so that normal people, not just modders can work out the question?

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

Hey, I just found out how to spawn weapons using IPL files, woooh!

Weapon numbers, why the hell do they start with 10???:
10 to 65
Bat
Shovel
poolcue
katana
chainsaw
grenade
molotov
plastics
colt
silenced
deagle
shotgun
automatic shotgun

I'll go test the resat and put it here

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 15 August 2005 - 04:01 PM

QUOTE (51L3N7 4554551N @ Aug 15 2005, 14:04)
Steve, can't you make the questions more 'universal' so that normal people, not just modders can work out the question?

If you're not a modder you won't be able to answer the question regardless.

thedude777
  • thedude777

Did I say that out loud?

• Members

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:04 PM

Yeah....people who can't mod won't be able to do this.

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 August 2005 - 08:05 PM Edited by dertyjerzian, 20 August 2005 - 03:38 AM.

from mirc, Someone test please:
CODE

(23:16:51) (dertyjerzian) I think "-1" is -1 version RW.
(23:17:04) (dertyjerzian) of those versions in GTA games, that is.
(23:17:19) (dertyjerzian) so -1 is vice, -2 is GTA3
(23:17:38) (dertyjerzian) same in water.dat
(23:17:45) (dertyjerzian) final integer is 1 in sa
(23:18:09) (dertyjerzian) -1 makes the water only so deep. Deep enough to swim and fall through.
(23:18:22) (dertyjerzian) Which was all that was necessary to die in previously.

I was talking about the number at the end of the Item Placement Lists. The -1 we add to add our own objects. It shows up in some places of normal SA, and I bet those normal SA models that require -1 are EASILY backwards compatible with Vice City but not San Andreas.

BUT I think that some how, whether it's just a settings thing (as the IPL mainly is anyway) or something better, it would seem to me that the -1 is a "minus version" signifier.

In water.dat, there is a 1 at the end of the entry in the one for the stripped Map Cleaner water.dat. (I played with the original as well, with no map, which was fun to say the least.)

Now when I set that to -1, I could swim to the very bottom of the water, fall out of it, and land back at the top, very quickly.

-1 is previous water, obviously. You died when in the water of previous GTA installments. Didn't need to be deep.

RenderWare or Rockstar, or whotever, may have upgraded during production of SA, so the -1 in the country IPL's must signify that they may have had those parts completed before the engine was updated. -1, previous settings? -2 = 2 games back?

-2 in water.dat creates NO water, well, it's there, and shallow as hell, but it is completely transparent. Only the effects made by player interaction is shown, ripples etc. No color, so solidity. Perfect for fully textured swimming pools tounge.gif I'll have mine released soon tounge.gif

GTA3 (-2 in my current hypothesis) didn't have clear water, so there was an obvious change there.

A think to remember: though the water was different, was the map different between 3 and VC?? Because -1 in IPL COULD possibly still signify the same methods used for BOTH of those games.

But I'm almost certain that the water.dat 1(SA-1=Current), -1(VC- -1=previous version), -2 (GTA3- -2=2nd previous version) at the end of each entry is for just as the numbers in this sentance have outlined. Almost.

Also... Something controls the rush of water, though I'm not sure which yet. Like the park in SanFierro? The rushing stream?

We figure that out and we can flood the LA river for a scripted rescue mission cool.gif

Please post some feed back on this, and please test it, I cannot do the necessary comparrisons and testing because I do not have GTA3 and VC installed. confused.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:04 AM

Erm, no. The last value in ipl/inst lines defines the index of the item (inside the same file) which is used as LOD "parent" for the current object, and -1 if none.

As for the water, why the hell do you test with negative numbers?? And it has absolutely nothing to do with game versions. Please look at the original water.dat, all values ever used there are 0, 1 and 3. I believe they have something to do with interiors (but aren't interior IDs), or determine the general behavior of the water.
Another thing I just noticed is that at the end of water.dat there are 6 lines with just 3 instead of 4 corner points, so defining only triangles. Maybe they are unlimited polygons, and you can actually have your octagonally shaped fountain? wow.gif

And the waterfalls at several places in the game are just animated UV coordinates inside dff files, no "real" water.

Edit: No, more than 4 corners doesn't seem to work. But I did some tests with the parameter at the end of the line:
Parameter: 0 1 2 3
Visible: no yes no yes
Shallow: no no yes yes
Param 4 seemed to be identical with 0, I think they just repeat when higher than 3. Params 0 and 1 are used for ocean, which are infinitely deep, and 2 and 3 for pools, that are only a few meters. 0 and 2 have invisible water, so they can be used with own water textures, probably animated (like the stream). Water animals seem to appear for all 4.

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:11 AM Edited by dertyjerzian, 21 August 2005 - 09:14 AM.

ahhhhhh! lol. I pulled my hair out just now tounge.gif Then my previous post will be testament to my n00bness in august '05 wink.gif

As for the reason I thought maybe that last integer was a version-signifier was those Country IPL files from the SA default installation, they have the negative one, as we must use to get objects to appear. Hmmm, Still a little bugged out about how much I got wrong up there tounge.gif Need to read it a couple more times and wrap my noggin around it.

Thanks for testing around for me Steve biggrin.gif I still can't make water!! But, like I said, I'll be working on wrapping my head around the water.dat so soon enough wink.gif

Just those 4 sets of coords... Can't figure what to write for what, I tried many coords. I'll keep playing around, hopefully a meaningful edit is on it's way to this post I just submitted right.... Now!

Meaningful Edit:
(steve)One line per water rectangle, consisting of the four corner points (7 float values each) and an integer at the end (normally 1). The first 3 values of each point are the XYZ coordinates, the last one is the wave height. Point order is SW, SE, NW, NE.

How could I be so dense?!? Thanks steve ;o)

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:13 PM

Meh, this "contest" absolutely didn't bring the expected results, so I'm closing this topic now.

Please post any findings in these topics:
IPL documentation
water.dat documentation

Thanks to the few people who actually contributed. confused.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users