Photo

selectable/alternate player characters

21 replies to this topic
illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:03 AM

Assuming T2/R* don't do something silly like throw a checksum of the install dir into the 1.1 exe to block mods, here's an idea:

Instead of just having one player character, we have two. Either with the option to play as one all the way through at once (with crossing paths) a la Resident Evil 2, the ability to use either for any mission, or using each one for specific missions. Or even some combination of the last two, namely freely chosing between them while not on a mission that might force a choice.

The reason I thought of this is because I've wanted to do a mod with a female lead for a long time. This would be fun to break the mold, as it were, of the idea that GTA is for boys or whatever. Plus it would throw an interesting spin on the whole tough guy gangster/gangsta theme of the series. And since there are some people who just don't like the idea of a female player, why not use both?

To make things more interesting, we could boost some stats on each of them so there would be a real tactical advantage for one during specific missions. For instance the guy might start off with more muscle and better shotgun and driving stats, while the girl could start with more stamina and better light/ranged weapon and bike stats. Could also have more mission-specific implied stats like lock picking, stealth, or whatever. In a way, it would almost be a stripped-down mini class system like Battlefield or a semi-strategical Deus Ex thingy.

The hard part would be to figure out how/if animation and sound banks could be swapped when switching characters. The model switching part should be easy given the clothing system. And we could use the scm to flip the changing room in stores between men's and women's clothing. The stats should be able to be tossed into an array and stored while a character is not in use as well.

So, yea, anyone up for the idea? And more importantly, does anyone want to do some testing to see if those animations and stuff can be changed on the fly?

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 07 August 2005 - 04:11 AM

I know that you CAN change the player model with ease, but I'm not sure if swapped models could use clothes.

An idea of mine: Certain key missions could require BOTH player characters. If one player is ready to start a key mission, you would have to change to the other until that player was ready too. Then you could choose which player to control while the other follows.

I'm assuming we're going with Steve's/Sadistic's hybrid storyline, so I figure the cutscene after the first mission would be an ideal place to introduce the female character. How about you control her for a day or so while the male lead recovers?

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:09 AM

Great idea, it would be nice to break the mold for once.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:23 AM

Just a thought, I don't think it's feasible to change the player sounds ingame. So, why not mute all the sound clips that CJ would normally say, then add an external script tied to the player that would monitor what it was doing and load/play sounds appropriately depending on what player was selected?

It's reinventing the wheel, but the game isn't going to appreciate swapping out half the SFX mid-game.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 August 2005 - 09:47 AM Edited by Knife, 07 August 2005 - 09:49 AM.

It's a fun idea. Yes changing the playable character can be done in seconds. But I don't think this will make things very easy. There would be audio stuff (yes we can blank all CJ audio out) so that may be allright. But custom clothes ect may be a bit harder. It would work if clothes were pickups like in vice city but for multiple characters it would be harder.

Hang on, this could work...!

As I was writing that I thought one playable character could be allowed in two shops and the other playable character be allowed in the other two. Then the shops could have items designed for that playable character.

AND, if we really wanted too we could have an in game message wich tells you to swap the sfx files or something.

What dose myriad need?

It needs a hook for the game to hack some exe stuff like the liberty city one.

OrR
  • OrR

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:22 PM

Sounds like an awesome idea... Don't forget to include sex scenes of the two characters! devil.gif

About the clothing problem: Can't you have two changing rooms in one shop, one for men, the other for women and deactivate the one you don't need? However, I'd like to see a return of the pickup system or something similarly simple since the SanAn clothing menus take an awful lot of time to navigate.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:45 PM

I hope you're joking, we don't want more problems with patches.

Hmmm..you know the g/fs tend to bitch if you crash or summin, and randomly chat all day, and that THAT only pops up when you're on a g/f mission, maybe theres some way to select what sounds to play or what sfx file to play when its needed. I dunno how the f*ck the games structured, but does each of the g/fs have a separate .sfx? if so can't you just mute CJ and replace one of the g/fs sounds with the female leads, considering they tend to bitch and moan often enough that you can just mute out all the random crap they talk and just use them bitching all the time.
GTAuron

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Opius @ Aug 6 2005, 23:11)
I know that you CAN change the player model with ease, but I'm not sure if swapped models could use clothes.

An idea of mine: Certain key missions could require BOTH player characters. If one player is ready to start a key mission, you would have to change to the other until that player was ready too. Then you could choose which player to control while the other follows.

I'm assuming we're going with Steve's/Sadistic's hybrid storyline, so I figure the cutscene after the first mission would be an ideal place to introduce the female character. How about you control her for a day or so while the male lead recovers?

When did steve make story changes? I don't mind, but I haven't seen it.

Opius
  • Opius

General

• Feroci Racing

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:14 PM

It was posted in the MIdotcom forums.
Not really a change from yours, just an easier way to justify the first few missions.

random_download
  • random_download

:o

• Members

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:30 PM Edited by random_download, 07 August 2005 - 11:32 PM.

Well, if you had a loader like GTA: LC you could have it moniter an scm global var which could say if the currently controlled character is the male or female, then swap hardcoded sound names depending on which character is being controlled.

Pyrrhus
  • Pyrrhus

GTAF Commissioner

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Australia

Posted 08 August 2005 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (GTAuron @ Aug 8 2005, 06:45)
Hmmm..you know the g/fs tend to bitch if you crash or summin, and randomly chat all day, and that THAT only pops up when you're on a g/f mission, maybe theres some way to select what sounds to play or what sfx file to play when its needed. I dunno how the f*ck the games structured, but does each of the g/fs have a separate .sfx? if so can't you just mute CJ and replace one of the g/fs sounds with the female leads, considering they tend to bitch and moan often enough that you can just mute out all the random crap they talk and just use them bitching all the time. GTAuron

I don't think the Myriad Islands team want to portray the female lead in a negative light so they won't have her bitching all the time.

Anyway, I think that this is a great idea and if Rockstar saw that a female lead can work maybe a future installment of the series will have one.

caponester
  • caponester

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 August 2005 - 01:39 PM

I suggested this about 2 years ago wow.gif

It may work to good effect in SA, kind of like Max Payne2 where you play both characters and the adventures are intertwined.

Problem is, MI doesn't even have a storyline yet, unless where still using the script Sadisticmachine wrote over a year ago

*Caponester wonders why all time is measured in years around MI tounge.gif

AleXXX
  • AleXXX

(-:-)

• Members

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:08 PM

Nice idea (as always), illy ! It is better to make the main hero on a choice (in the beginning SA, you choose for whom will play). And to make so that for 100 % of passage it is necessary to pass storyline for two heroes.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE (Pyrrhus @ Aug 8 2005, 09:28)
QUOTE (GTAuron @ Aug 8 2005, 06:45)
Hmmm..you know the g/fs tend to bitch if you crash or summin, and randomly chat all day, and that THAT only pops up when you're on a g/f mission, maybe theres some way to select what sounds to play or what sfx file to play when its needed. I dunno how the f*ck the games structured, but does each of the g/fs have a separate .sfx? if so can't you just mute CJ and replace one of the g/fs sounds with the female leads, considering they tend to bitch and moan often enough that you can just mute out all the random crap they talk and just use them bitching all the time. GTAuron

I don't think the Myriad Islands team want to portray the female lead in a negative light so they won't have her bitching all the time.

Anyway, I think that this is a great idea and if Rockstar saw that a female lead can work maybe a future installment of the series will have one.

Sorry I don't think you got what I meant at all. The female lead should not be portrayed negatively at all, i agree. What I actually said was the g/fs in SA bitch all the time when you do stupid stuff, indicating that there are prompts for whatever.sfx file they're linked to to play at that time. For example CJ bitches at people when you crash into them, blaming them. The g/fs, when they're in the car, do the same to you, indicating that somewhere the system behind the g/fs speaking is similar to what CJ does, so why not just replace the .sfxs of one g/f with .sfxs of the female lead character, find a way in the mission script of muting whatever the f*ck CJ says, and trigger the game to expect to play sounds linked to the g/f that you have replaced the sounds for. Therefore after then whenever you crash or are even walking about with the cops after you, the sounds you created should be played, and the sounds of the male lead shouldn't, i.e. Job done.

Whether it is feasable i have no idea. Maybe its too hard to do, but IF its all in the mission script it shouldn't be a problem, after all ya could change the sound effects in VC with yer eyes closed.

GTAuron

Rollies77
  • Rollies77

Joy Rider

• Members

Posted 10 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

Wow! I don't know how you're gonna do this, but it sure will be a bold attempt to have dual lead characters. The female could be Catalina. She seems to keep in touch with CJ through out the game. Maybe use the cellphone to switch between characters. Her lines in the game is also quite massive. No need to voice over a new female, maybe you can chop and paste her voice to a certain situation for myriad. Her character seems to be even wilder than CJ. I can easily imagine dozens of wicked missions for her.

Knife
  • Knife

Tits.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 10 August 2005 - 03:18 PM

There won't be any characters from any GTA games. They will be new characters.

Mark
  • Mark

• Zaibatsu
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:27 PM

Indeed, so has anyone got a g/f or wife with a good voice? tounge.gif GTAuron

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:22 AM

Maybe just use one of the girlfriend's voices until we can find a suitale lady?

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 12 August 2005 - 03:31 PM

Here's an idea:

Instead of having two lead characters to juggle, maybe some of the missions allow you to control other characters, temporarily jumping into the role of one of the NPCs.

illspirit
  • illspirit

lycanthroplasty

• None

Posted 12 August 2005 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Aug 12 2005, 11:31)
Here's an idea:

Instead of having two lead characters to juggle, maybe some of the missions allow you to control other characters, temporarily jumping into the role of one of the NPCs.

Because that would be too easy? In case you haven't noticed, I like to make things insanely more complicated than they have to be. tounge2.gif

Plus, I'd like the second character to be customizable as well. And if this works out, methinks it would be a really f*cking cool feature. We'd either end up with basically two seperate games if there were two parallel story branches. Or it would add tons of options and replayability should we have the players changeable at any time. Either way it would effectively double the gameplay while only adding like 20% more work. After getting the story and mission outline in place, it won't take much to add in a few twists for a second character.

*edit- Preview renders of a ped I started from scratch a while back. Clicky and clicky.

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Feroci Racing

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:07 PM

Heh, I love the hypocrisy in this forum. If a noob suggests an idea, it's shot down in flames and locked within hours. If Illy suggests it, it's the second coming of Christ colgate.gif

Regardless, I think this could be an interesting idea, but bear in mind that there's a LOT of voice work involved, and probably a good deal of coding hack-arounds to achieve certain things.

Gforce
  • Gforce

"Segregate and Rearrange" "The Hills"

• Feroci Racing
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 August 2005 - 06:34 PM

i quite like this idea but i wouldn't want to be the person doing all the work that it will involve.

i would like to see illy's "Punk Girl" as the female character, with the same attitude as the one that ties up and whips CJ in SA biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users