The Motorcycle Topic

846 replies to this topic
epoxi
  • epoxi

Your Mother

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:23 PM

Very nice reconditioning job 860. I like the headlights.

As for me, here's the deal:
I need a scooter to carry things like books (and me) between university and flat in London (only a few miles, traffic never goes faster than 20mph).
I don't mind the brand...or even colour (a pink Vespa is still cooler, cheaper and faster than riding the bus), as long as it's practical and reliable.

Basically, what I want to know is: if I'm perusing through Gumtree and the like, and go to inspect, what should I look for?

Does age matter? I see some '02 scooters that look brand new and some '08 examples which look like they've been raped by an elephant...and this is only what I see from the pictures.
How much does mileage mean? Will a higher mileage scooter which hasn't been abused be better than a kid's joyride-mobile?
How much will I expect to pay for a scooter that will be virtually guaranteed to work every morning provided I treat it right?

Standart
  • Standart

GTA IV Received :)

• Members

Posted 20 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

My dream is to buy this one - Yamaha R1
user posted image
btw is it good for a FIRST bike?

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

I would say no. Being that the biggest thing I've ridden was a 250cc bike I can't say much. The 250 was completely manageable, but a 1000cc, as the R1 is, would be way too much for a first bike. And really, an R6 (600cc) is basically just as quick in the lower to mid range while keeping weight down a bit and generally being more controllable. And an R6 looks just like an R1, so you're not losing on looks and style.
From what most people say, a 500-750cc in the way to go.
And 1000's cost quite a bit more and cost more for insurance as well. You don't want to blow a large amount on a 1L bike, pay out the ass for insurance, not be able to handle the bikes power, crash, more than likely not get the bike replaced then pay even more when your insurance rates go up.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

Standart, that might not be the best first bike. pico made some good points.

IMO a first bike should be a 'beater'. That way you don't care when you drop it doing something stupid - like forgetting to put the kick stand down before getting off. Sure laugh, but you would be surprised at how many people do. I have been riding forever and almost did it the other day.

here is a little story:
back in the 80s my buddy (with rich folks) wanted a harley. I let him ride my little LTD440 around a parking lot for a bit. That week he went to the harley shop and picked up a new sportster for nearly 10k. That very week he was riding in sneakers and noticed his shoe lace was undone and wrapped around the foot peg. He panicked and crashed into someones front yard causing $$$ of damange to his nice new bike.

Beater bikes are also a great way to learn your way around bikes.

I currently ride a Harley fx low 1400. Am i the only one here who rides a harley - everyone here sport bike riders? Anyway, it doesn't matter.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

I really like the look of sports bikes... but being that I've only ridden two bikes, one a Nighthawk 250 and the other a TW200 I can't say much about what I really like. But I've got a feeling a sports bike isn't going to be too uncomfortable for me to ride smile.gif
If I did get a Harley type of bike it'd be something like a Vrscr.

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

GTAF's Resident Niggling Pedant

• Members

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

First bike, IMHO, should be at least 3 years old and sub-500cc, sub-60hp. New rider + 1000cc superbike = recipe for disaster. I've been riding for 6 years, maybe a little more, and I still feel uneasy around superbikes. They're very hard to use on a daily basis and for the most part the owners are the kind of wanker who rides with a cheap helmet, trainers, jeans and a shirt at 120+ mph on public roads.

People who appreciate like bikes tend to get supers as a second bike, with a nice 600cc or 800cc semi-sport or naked for daily usage.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:35 PM Edited by tripmills, 24 July 2009 - 09:08 PM.

QUOTE (dog_day_sunrise @ Jul 23 2009, 18:00)
First bike, IMHO, should be at least 3 years old and sub-500cc, sub-60hp. New rider + 1000cc superbike = recipe for disaster. I've been riding for 6 years, maybe a little more, and I still feel uneasy around superbikes. They're very hard to use on a daily basis and for the most part the owners are the kind of wanker who rides with a cheap helmet, trainers, jeans and a shirt at 120+ mph on public roads.

People who appreciate like bikes tend to get supers as a second bike, with a nice 600cc or 800cc semi-sport or naked for daily usage.

Those guys are called 'squids' - I just learned that the other day.

Around here they don't even wear jeans. They wear shorts and sneakers(no socks). To top it off they lifted the helmet law* here, so these guys now ride with no helmet, shorts, tanktop, and sneakers.

And yes - those are the guys that don't ride (or live) long. Anytime a motorcycle accident or death is on the news the camera always pans over to some crumpled up sportsbike.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a biker (not one of those harley owners) and I actually like some of the sportbikes that have been coming out over the past few years. I even know some sportbike people that have been riding 'safe' for many years.

I'm not sure what it is like around the rest of the world or even around the rest of the states, but here we have a very popular 'motorcycle safety course' offered by the state for free. It is a few days of classroom learning, and a few days of riding little 250s - at the end you get your license. I didn't take it, but I know a handful of people who did and say it was worth it. Just a quick side note about the safety course - they obviously don't teach riding in formation. Every once in awhile I ride with one of those mid-life-crisis harley owners who took the course, and it scares the sh*t out of me.

And my last thing, even though I may have mentioned it before. Here in Philadelphia we host the largest toy run (November). It's only a 1 day event but it attracts over 100,000 bikes. If anyone from the east coast US wants to join us - just say the word.

*I wear a helmet by choice. I went down heavy once and wouldn't be typing today if it wasn't for my helmet

EDIT:
I should have double posted - but what the heck....

I'll try to make this short.

A new dude started working in my department a month or 2 ago. I think he might have had some legal issues with driving, but it turned out he had a 600cc katana that he was finally going to be able to ride. I hadn't seem him since last week and just today I saw him. Man o man is he beaten and broken. It only took a handful of weeks before this guy, and his bike became close friends with an SUV. Naturally he blames 'the other guy', but honestly any motorcycle accident is the fault of the biker IMO(and others). So let this little story help any new riders to understand just how easy it is to f*ck yourself up when riding. This dude broke all sorts of bones and pretty much trashed his bike.

I ride with one other long time rider who grew up riding in this city. We both agree that looking left, right, and left again even when you have a solid green light is the only way to prevent death.

If you can't tell - I love to ride. I want others to feel the pleasure and would never discourage anyone from riding. I think if you ride with the thought that 'you can die' it makes you just a bit more aware of how you are riding.

One way to look at it is - have you ever been in a car accident that wasn't your fault? Imagine if you were on a bike and not the saftey of a car during that accident

I'll try to be quiet now

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:47 AM Edited by Sixdust, 27 July 2009 - 12:02 PM.

I'm looking at purchasing a motorcycle in the near future. However I am in a little bit of pickle. The style of motorcycle I like is this:

Honda Rebel

however not many companies seem to have this type of cruiser. I don't want the other, more popular type of cruiser. The reason that the current Honda Rebel will not do is due to the really small engine it has. I'm thinking around 500cc's for my first bike.

Harley Davidson has the Sportster Iron 883, click but that one is a bit expensive and a one seater, Triumph has the Bonnville Click and even the Honda 06' Nighthawks and back Click, even the BMW R 1200 R has a bit of the look Click. I'm guessing it's the position of the handlebars combined with the looks.

I like the style of bike, but the price or lack of power turns me away from most of these. Anyone know of any other models, similar in style, preferably around 500cc and two seater?

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

the Nighthawk and Rebel are two of the bikes they used at the Motorcycle Safety course I went to. I think that statement alone explains it all, but lets just say they are great bikes to learn on... and that's probably it. ~250cc's is ok power for under 50mph I would guess, but on the highway you don't have much left. The TW200 I was on had a whopping 16 horsepower and to ride it at 20mph I had to either give it a good amount of throttle in 2nd gear or cruise in 3rd gear. I couldn't imagine that going over 50mph, at least not over 60mph.

I just had a chance to sit on a rocket for the first time, a Ninja ZX6. Not for me, sadly. My gut sticks into the take way too much, and it's too far forward. At the same place a friends brother had his XB9S (/drools) sitting in the garage, sadly his brother wasn't home so I couldn't get a chance to sit on it and feel it out, but it seems more of an upright seating position and the handle bars seem decently higher, with a smaller gas tank so my gut won't be keeping me from leaning in. And, as I've said before I like the streetfighter style so I could always get some taller handle bars put on, which I think would make the bike much more comfortable.

What I've learned in the past week is find a bike style that FEELS comfortable, then find a bike with the right power you're looking for. I'd totally go for a Buell Blast assuming I could make it look better, and if it had a bit more power. For a 500cc, it's quite lacking sadly.

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Sixdust @ Jul 27 2009, 11:47)
I'm thinking around 500cc's for my first bike.

BMW R 1200 R

I'd seriously avoid the R1200R unless your very experienced with both heavy and powerful bikes. If I remember correctly, they're at least 100bhp and weigh and awful lot despite their naked appearance. May not sound like a huge power/weight ratio for a big bike, but it's still a f*ck of a lot more than most new riders can handle.

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (dog_day_sunrise @ Jul 27 2009, 13:49)
QUOTE (Sixdust @ Jul 27 2009, 11:47)
I'm thinking around 500cc's for my first bike.

BMW R 1200 R

I'd seriously avoid the R1200R unless your very experienced with both heavy and powerful bikes. If I remember correctly, they're at least 100bhp and weigh and awful lot despite their naked appearance. May not sound like a huge power/weight ratio for a big bike, but it's still a f*ck of a lot more than most new riders can handle.

For sure, I would not get the beamer. It is way too f*cking expensive. It was just to show off the look I was thinking of.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

Sixdust, my wife has a Rebel. Great little bike. It might get 'small' on you quick though.

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (tripmills @ Jul 27 2009, 16:17)
Sixdust, my wife has a Rebel. Great little bike. It might get 'small' on you quick though.

That's why I don't want it. The price is nice, the design is cool, but the engine size is a turnoff. I'm looking at a used Honda Nighthawk, CB750, CB450, or even the CB650. They stopped the awesome design in 2004.

Arski
  • Arski

monkey driver

• Members

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

user posted image

gonna get like this one, but its -07 and it got much nicer logos..(dont know the english word D:)

(1st bike, im 15) next one is a car ;D

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

QUOTE (Arski @ Aug 1 2009, 09:34)
user posted image

gonna get like this one, but its -07 and it got much nicer logos..(dont know the english word D:)

That is one wacky looking bike. I'm sure it would be fun to rip around on. Since you aren't 10 don't you want something that might be a bit more practical? Maybe something cheaper since it will be short lived?

Try to dig up a Honda CT90. Even though they are from the late 60s, and 70s you can still find them in good running condition. After all they are from Honda, and Honda bikes never die.

user posted image

Totally street legal and all. The above picture doesn't have turn signals, but the bike does. I had one when I was 12 and I think it topped out around 60mph

Arski
  • Arski

monkey driver

• Members

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (tripmills @ Aug 1 2009, 16:24)
QUOTE (Arski @ Aug 1 2009, 09:34)
user posted image

That is one wacky looking bike. I'm sure it would be fun to rip around on. Since you aren't 10 don't you want something that might be a bit more practical? Maybe something cheaper since it will be short lived?

Try to dig up a Honda CT90. Even though they are from the late 60s, and 70s you can still find them in good running condition. After all they are from Honda, and Honda bikes never die.

user posted image

Totally street legal and all. The above picture doesn't have turn signals, but the bike does. I had one when I was 12 and I think it topped out around 60mph

LOL! thats old crap! welcome to the 2000's biggrin.gif in finland & netherlands got alot of Honda monkey/dax or skyteam monkey/dax...

i am 15 and that's what im gonna get for 1st bike, im not gonna buy a motorbike...that speeds up really good and max. speed is about 55... my friend went to line with a Skyteam monkey 50 vs derbi drd sm...and guess who wins... both have ride a bike like more than 1 years... i love monkeys, i dont like ''cross'' bikes...

Gundog
  • Gundog

EnTrance

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

I had this old moped called "Tomos APN 4" in my family for 35 years already, and it's totally busted. It's considered to be a family heirloom along males, and it's my turn to get it. I'll update you during it's reparation. I just have to wait for my father to go to work (He's an engineer on a ship) until I can snag it from my grandad's garage. I'll do before and after photos for you.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Gundog @ Aug 1 2009, 17:02)
I had this old moped called "Tomos APN 4" in my family for 35 years already, and it's totally busted. It's considered to be a family heirloom along males, and it's my turn to get it. I'll update you during it's reparation. I just have to wait for my father to go to work (He's an engineer on a ship) until I can snag it from my grandad's garage. I'll do before and after photos for you.

Dude, I had to pull up a picture of the 'Tomos APN 4' to see if it was the style of moped I though. You totally gotta have fun 'dressing' yours. Check this craziness out.
user posted image
I got this image from the tomos forum. Yup, there is a forum just for that moped
http://tomos.11.forumer.com

Arski, whatever you get will be fun as sh*t I'm sure. For the record the ct90 isn't a cross, or a moped, it is a full motorcycle. Sure they are old and crappy looking by now. I guess I was just trowing in my personal 'thing'. I love vintage bikes.

I need to stop being so freaking post happy lol.gif

Gundog
  • Gundog

EnTrance

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

I also adore vintage-looking vehicles. Most likely, I'll be stripping it's paint off and painting it to it's original color. Midnight Black. Of course, I'm a freak for details and I'll be putting a finish on it. I'll get chromed strips around it, new lights, chromed spoked rims, and of course, new brakes and tires. Safety first! There'll be no need in tuning it as my father, 35 years ago, tuned the sh*t out of it. I'll eventually buy new engine parts, since it's been sitting in the garage for 5 years.

Mine looks like this, except it was repainted from black to yellow by my cousin, when it got into his hands, and it's a bit rusty. Of course, the whole engine is much bigger, as it's off a bigger and stronger Tomos model. I believe it was stripped off a Tomos 15. Does a solid 60-65 mph.

user posted image

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:02 PM

Any US residence might want to take a look at this: http://www.jsonline....s/48116267.html

Wish I had a secondary car... sad.gif
For $2,500 I'd only need another grand to 2 grand at most to get a decent first bike.

dog_day_sunrise
  • dog_day_sunrise

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:24 PM

Here's my 1995 Thundercat- current weekend bike whilst I contemplate trading in the Beamer for something faster
user posted image
user posted image
Not bad for £800. Shame my patio is such a mess at the moment.

Arski
  • Arski

monkey driver

• Members

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:02 PM

user posted image

Here's my new moped smile.gif

Azazel
  • Azazel

• None
  • Topic of the Year 2012 "GTA V Vehicle Database"
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

One of our regular customers popped by one one of these babies the other day:

user posted image
user posted image

While I'm not exactly sure what model it is, it's not the everyday, classic Harley, but it looks bloody awesome in my book. I'm a sucker for flat black, and those red accents are just the icing on the very brutal sounding cake.

Being a newer generation bike, it also has a newer generation motor, which wouldn't regularly sound like a proper Harley is supposed to, especially not when idling. So Harley Davidson actually made it run like utter crap when idling, to produce the correct Harley'ish rumble.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Arski @ Aug 3 2009, 19:02)
user posted image

So...How is it? Fun?

Azazel, I believe that is a VRSC of some type.

Side story: We don't have a helmet law here (anymore). There are days when my wife asks me for a ride home without planning - that means she doesn't have her helmet with her. Those days I make her wear mine and I go helmetless. She hates it. Not for my saftey but more because she wants to be without a helmet. SO....she just called and begged for a ride since the trolleys broke down. I had to chuckle when she said 'dont bring my helmet'. We just got in after her first helmetless ride. I wish riding without a helmet didn't feel so freaking great.

Pico
  • Pico

cinnamon ropes

• Zaibatsu

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:19 AM

That's a f*ckin hot bike Az. I'd take it for sure!
Not sure if trip is right, but I thought Harley VRSCR when I first saw it. Could be. Of course, nicely customized.

Arski
  • Arski

monkey driver

• Members

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (tripmills @ Aug 5 2009, 01:19)
QUOTE (Arski @ Aug 3 2009, 19:02)
user posted image

So...How is it? Fun?

Azazel, I believe that is a VRSC of some type.

Side story: We don't have a helmet law here (anymore). There are days when my wife asks me for a ride home without planning - that means she doesn't have her helmet with her. Those days I make her wear mine and I go helmetless. She hates it. Not for my saftey but more because she wants to be without a helmet. SO....she just called and begged for a ride since the trolleys broke down. I had to chuckle when she said 'dont bring my helmet'. We just got in after her first helmetless ride. I wish riding without a helmet didn't feel so freaking great.

yeah! sh*t it speeds up so f*cking fast! goes 50kmh top speed, if i want more speed need to take the...ummm....(dunno english word...ääööäääuuummm...) the things what limits the machine biggrin.gif if someone understands.

<3 my bike smile.gif im getting drivers license tomorrow smile.gif

chris
  • chris

Everton FC

• The Connection

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:44 PM

Translation, he wants to take off the speed limiter to make it faster.

I like your style.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Pico @ Aug 5 2009, 06:19)
That's a f*ckin hot bike Az. I'd take it for sure!
Not sure if trip is right, but I thought Harley VRSCR when I first saw it. Could be. Of course, nicely customized.

Yup, it's a VSRC. I just pulled the fat parts catalog from the bathroom and looked it up. Not really my style of Harley, but still a cool bike.

Arski - Good luck on the license thing. Do you need to get a seperate motorcycle endorcment where you live? Get your bike license and keep riding. It pays off later in life when you see guys go through the "I'm getting a motorcycle mid-life crysis" thing.

1066ant
  • 1066ant

Things 'n stuff...

• Members

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:18 PM

I was thinking of getting a bike but my commute is 120 miles day in all weather and I couldn't cope with that on a bike. That and because I'm 17 I'd have to take about 3 tests just to get started. One to ride 125cc bikes, then another to ride restricted bikes and a writen one to prove I'm capable of riding, and they all cost cash, then I need a bike, insurance, tax, protective clothing etc.

Its useless with a 125cc anyway because its too slow for long distances, I'd want a 250cc, proably a classic Triumph or BSA, guess I'll I'll have to get one as a toy in the future.

Kaj.
  • Kaj.

Shift Happens.

• The Connection

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:23 AM

For the record, the Harley is a VRSCDX Night Rod Special. It's a "Factory Custom" job, so everything you see there is stock. When I was younger I so wanted a V-Rod, just because they look badass. Couldn't even come close to affording one though. Maybe someday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users