The Motorcycle Topic

1,009 replies to this topic
locknload5614
  • locknload5614

KAWAF*CKINSAKI

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:18 PM

LOL. Have you never heard of a ZX14 or BMW S1000RR?

You're replying to a post from 2005. Don't.

yeah....that's some dumb sh*t for sure.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]
    Contribution Award [GTAF Census]
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 22 November 2016 - 02:07 AM

Thanks to climate change my bike still has its battery in and is ready to go at the drop of a hat. Heck, I even changed the oil the other day.

Around here it used to be a sign of manliness to say "I'm riding deep into November", but at this rate I might be doing some riding in December.

I relayed this story elsewhere but since you guys are bike guys you'll understand. I broke my big toe on my left foot last Monday. My car is in the shop and the only way to and from the beer store(for a case of beer) was the bike. First time in my life trying to shift with a broken toe. Even 2nd to neutral hurt like a bitch.
  • sivispacem likes this

Affalterbach
  • Affalterbach

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys! I will keep an eye out at the bikes you guys recommended. I completely agree with you guys - Now i think about it, it indeed would be smarter to start with a bike wich is cheaper. Riding that one for a couple months, maybe a year, and then upgrade to what i actually want.

Anyways, i can probably make a better decision after i drive a actual bike and get my license. That way i will know what suits my driving style the best, and what im capable of doing on a bike.

I will get back to this thread when its time to buy a bike.

:).
  • Beez and trip like this

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:24 AM

100% with Sivi on this. SV650 is the way to go.

This bike has a cult status among track day enthusiasts. Their frame can take a beating, parts are super-cheap, and it's enough power to allow you some fun, without making you bored as you get months into riding. The 250's and 300's will likely get you quite bored, quite quickly. They are great starter bikes, but after a few months you will yearn for more power. The SV650 is a perfect bridge for keeping you from feeling that.

Starting with a 100 hp 1100 can be done, but it's a much more cumbersome, heavy bike. This slows down your reactionary time and, to me, it takes a lot of the fun of being on a lighthearted, flickable bike. I would be quicker to suggest it to an older, more settled guy. But for a young blood such as yourself, I would recommend a lighter, livelier, motorcycle to help match your personality, and likely, riding style.

The SV is no looker, and will unlikely pull at your heart strings. But, much like women, it's the one that you can grow with, it takes the bumps in life with stride, give to you all it's heart, and is always fun yet very forgiving, that you want as a first bike. Save the Duc, the beautiful girl, tempermental, anxious, where a few times a month life is bliss, but most of every other minute everything is totally wrong and you question your decision on getting her in the first place, for a later experience. Besides, after a year and at least 6k+ miles, you'll be ready to move any direction you feel you like to go. And you'll most likely be able to sell the SV for what you paid for it. To me, there really isn't a better first bike.
  • Affalterbach likes this

locknload5614
  • locknload5614

KAWAF*CKINSAKI

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2016 - 10:32 AM Edited by locknload5614, 26 November 2016 - 10:33 AM.

Way too many people start out with the 600 sport bike or the 859lb Harley, both very poor first bikes. While the SV is a great bike, the best way to learn to ride is on a used, smaller dirt bike. In the dirt you can learn to ride & fall with much less damage to oneself or the machine.

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:00 AM

^
While there's nothing but truth there, you may be better off perusing and reflecting on the op's desires. I don't think you could get more polar opposite of a naked street bike than an mx bike. Unless, of course, you're talking about riding an mx bike naked on the street. Then, all's good. ;)

So I sold my CBR600RR today. Well, traded it in. I had a lot of fun with it, but every time I rode it, I was reminded with how the seat was too low, and how it was down on power. So I haven't ridden it much in the last couple years. So I traded it in and threw some cash down on a bike that will be hitting our shores early next year. It'll compliment the r1m nicely. Very much looking forward to throwing a leg, and tapping into a different personality! :)
  • Beez, trip and Affalterbach like this

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:34 PM

New bike is here! :)

K7Zihn.jpg
  • Beez, trip, Android and 1 other like this

SouthLand
  • SouthLand

CE SABADELL FC

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:32 AM

^Lucky bastard! Have fun and ride safe.

Also, have you guys have tried riding a motorcycle when you just had a blood test done to you in your right arm? It's an awful experience
  • Beez and Adrenalist like this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Jo Nškyvi Pohjan Portit

• European-Union
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

My colleague fell off his bike when he tried riding home after giving blood.

Nor advisable.

Kaniel Outis
  • Kaniel Outis

• Facade Corporation
  • India
  • Helpfulness Award [WD&P Mega Topic]

Posted 02 April 2017 - 03:44 AM Edited by Arrow, 02 April 2017 - 03:47 AM.

I own a Blue Version of the TVS Apache RTR 160. It's 160 but still good enough for daily commuting. Top Speed's around 86MPH. Thr 180 version has a dual channel Anti-lock braking system (ABS).

blue-abs-180.png
  • Android and Adrenalist like this

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:42 AM Edited by Adrenalist, 13 April 2017 - 04:49 AM.

SouthLand - Thx man! :)

I've a ton of parts already, and a ton left to get on this new one. Here are the few things I've been able to get to so far:

Being able to work on the bike is important, and if it suspended on stands, it makes it much easier. Attaching spools to the swingarm is one method of raising the rear of the bike. Bought some Lightech spools for this bike:
Spoiler

Before:
Spoiler

After:
Spoiler

In use:
Spoiler

Next, raising the front can be accomplished in a few different ways. I already have a front triple tree stand, so I chose to get a pin designed for this particular triple tree:
Spoiler

In use:
Spoiler

Next thing to get done was the grotesque rear fender. Not only is it ugly, it's an easy 2 pounds, 2.45 ounces you can shave from the overall weight of the bike. To do this I got a Yoshimura rear fender eliminator, and Custom LED integrated tail light.
Spoiler

Before:
Spoiler

After:
Spoiler

Next up, frame sliders for fairing protection!
Spoiler

Before:
Spoiler

After:
Spoiler

The last thing I tackled on this mod round was the rearsets. This improves shifting feel and engagement, lightens things up, and improves your grip on the pegs. Lightech supplies these with aluminum heel guards, and fixed pegs. I went ahead and upgraded the rearsets to the folding pegs (they fold in so they don't snap if the bike tips) and carbon fiber heel guards. I weighed everything mid-install, and the Lightech rearsets shaves a little less than a pound off the OEM. The carbon vs aluminum heel guards shave an extra half ounce.
Rearsets:
Spoiler

Before:
Spoiler

After:
Spoiler

Still a ton left to do.......
  • Beez and trip like this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:38 PM Edited by trip, 14 April 2017 - 06:38 PM.

^
Looking good.

Per (GTAF motorcycle thread) tradition:
Today marks the first day of motorcycle season here for me. I love the start of motorcycle season. The smell of oil and gas...just perfect.

Even treated myself to a new battery.

I even forgot to put my boots on when I went out. Looked down and I was wearing sneakers...I know better than that.

Gonna treat myself to new tires this year. Might even replace my sadle bags.
  • Adrenalist likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Best Poster [Technology / Programming] 2016
    Best Poster [Programming] 2015
    Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:30 AM

The irony of living in Cali and still not having had a proper ride this season because it can't stop frigin' raining just about every weekend since November. Well, at least they finally called off the drought measures.
  • trip likes this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

I'm always envious of you west coast people when it comes to riding. Honest. We have such a short season...plus I'm old and cranky and don't like to ride when it's too hot.

The only time I went down hard was due to rain*. Nothing fun about riding in the rain. "April showers bring May flowers" is totally true here. I follow the 40% rule - if the forecast is 40% (or lower) chance of rain I'll ride.

*50+ mph and I lost my back tire on a slick trolley track...slid sideways and then slingshot over the bike...stuck the turn signals in my pockets and rode home with my one foot on the crankcase because the foot peg was gone. ThE clutch handle was so twisted that you had to take your hand off the grip and reach under the thE handlebar to engage.

Bonus thing about that accident is I live in a trolley heavy part of town and there is no way to get to my house without dealing with a bunch of trolley tracks. You can probably visibly see my nerves when I do get caught in the rain.

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 May 2017 - 12:42 AM

sh*t, Trip. Sorry to hear you highsided in the rain. That sucks!! Glad to hear you weren't too hurt to ride home.

There's some cattle guard crossings mid-curve on a few roads I ride, and it's pretty unsettling. Couldn't begin to imagine what they'd be like in the rain.

Got some break-in time on the ZX. Tis my favorite road (in my state). Note the sign (13 killed in motorcycle related accidents). :D
Spoiler

A few passes got rid of the chicken strips.
Spoiler

I have 300 miles on her now. Once I get to 600, I can tear her apart and turn her into a much better bike in nearly all facets.

Since I traded my 600 on the black one, I was jonesing for another 600. So, I picked this up a week or two ago...

Spoiler

Done with purchasing bikes. A few couple years of modding/paying these off and I can change focus on some other lifelong goals. Caaaan't wait!!! And there's really nothing as good as videogames to keep me from wasting money. It's literally my best tool for saving money & accomplishing dreams.
  • trip likes this

Beez
  • Beez

Given To Fly

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

My riding season did not start off well. I'm in New England (Go Pats!) and parked the bike in December. My BMW R1200GS sat in the garage until April and we got a nice weekend so I was planning on going for a ride. It would not start, starter was spinning fine but it would not light. I put an emergency battery starter on it as the main was losing juice. Finally a few coughs and eventually it started but was making a frightening knock from deep in the engine. Then I moved it outside and started it again but the knock was still there.

The next week I loaded it into the van and took it to work. Dave, our mechanic, thought it sounded like the big end bearing. Marc Cook, former editor for Motorcyclist who now works here, also thought it sounded terminal. Dave started investigating and I started looking on eBay for replacement motors and researching what could have happened. Mind you, the bike only has 50,000 miles on it and I maintain it well and ride it fairly easy. And I had not done any deep water crossings prior to putting it away for the winter. These boxer engines are over-built and should easily go over 100K miles or more. 

One of my other co-workers has a friend who is very into BMWs and he suggested that the hydraulic lifters were dry and it just needed to run a bit until the pumped up. I didn't even know it had hydraulic lifters. So I searched for that on the internet and found nothing. I figured if it happened to me, it happened to someone else and there would be something on a BMW forum somewhere. Nothing. So this made me doubt the hydraulic lifter idea. 

Dave's investigation turned up nothing and in order to check the big end bearings one has to disassemble the whole bike. So the plan became, let's let it idle and see if it gets better (the hydraulic lifter scenario) or it doesn't get better and then we know it needs to be completely rebuilt or a replacement engine. Thankfully the first option worked! As it idled the knock went away and now it's back to normal. 

So what I am guessing is that when I shut the bike off in Dec. it stopped at just the right place where the oil could drain from the lifter cup. It was also parked on the side stand instead of the center stand all winter so the left cylinder (where the knock was loudest) was lower than the right possibly making it drain. I don't know. All I know is it runs great now and summer is coming!!

• trip and Adrenalist like this

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
    Doggo-Chop Winner 2016

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:53 PM Edited by trip, 16 May 2017 - 07:53 PM.

^
Phewwwww... Thank goodness that ended well.

New England? I'm down here in Philadelphia(go birds). Gotta hate these short east coast seasons. I just hope for decent summer weather...nothing worse than sitting in city traffic in 100f Temps with 4000% humidity with a piping hot engine under you. We can lane split(in still traffic) here for bike health reasons but you try to tell that to the cabs and other dick heads who are sitting in their cars in traffic.

Beez
  • Beez

Given To Fly

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:19 PM

I used to lane split in California but don't out here. In CA it's been part of driving culture for decades and drivers know it is legal and you still get dick heads. If they made it legal here most drivers would be ignorant of the law change and be super aggro because "IT'S NOT FAIR!!" 

Adrenalist
  • Adrenalist

Mark Chump

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:43 PM

^
Lol!

For me, it becomes a game of fake-out. And I won't lie, it's actually kind of fun to stoke their petulant fire. :D

Really happy to hear you got your bike up and running!! :) You had me at "oh sh*t" a couple times in your story.

I'm sitting on 10k worth of mods for the zx10rr, and I really don't know if I should move forward or not. I was just made aware that we may lose our main account at work in 2018, as it's up for rebid. So, my focus is starting to change. I really need to pay off my credit cards, the R1M, and then focus on paying off my truck. I could have the R1M and credit cards done by the end of this year, and then I could possibly have my truck paid off by the end of 2018. Kinda bummed out. While I have about 70% of the parts acquisition done for the zx10 track build, I'd have to sink quite a bit more into the fine tuning (suspension, afr), paint work, electrical wiring, etc., so I already feel the adulting pull to sideline it. :/
  • Beez likes this

GTA-Biker
  • GTA-Biker

Let's Rock

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 4 weeks ago

Hey guys,just a quick question for those who are familiar with 250cc cruisers.Between Honda Rebel 250, Suzuki Marauder 250 and Yamaha Virago 250,which one is most reliable and most comfortable for a 6 foot 1 man?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users