Photo

The Motorcycle Topic

846 replies to this topic
crazydude
  • crazydude

Blah!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (Fido_SanAndreas @ Jun 8 2008, 00:37)
I am thinking about purchasing a bike, and I am definitley looking at the Yamaha YZF-R1

http://www.yamaha-mo.../6/0/specs.aspx

Hahaha, you wont last 10 minutes on that bike.

What makes you think you have the skill to operate a motorcycle capable of 0-60 in 3 seconds.

Listen, your best bet is to start with something small like a 250 or a ninja 500 like anuj. They are great starter bikes which will teach you how to handle yourself out on the road. What you need is experience and plenty of it. Once you feel comfortable, then you should consider moving up in displacement.

But then again, you probably just want the bike because its fast and it looks good, making you look like a badass and scoring all the chicks. At least, that's what most new riders want when thinking about purchasing a bike, with a 1000cc machine at the top of the list. dozingoff.gif

You can make the smart choice and start small and work your way up. Or, you can go all out just to look cool (and probably die).

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (crazydude @ Jun 11 2008, 23:50)
You can make the smart choice and start small and work your way up. Or, you can go all out just to look cool (and probably die).

Like learning how to drive in an Enzo or having an F1 race car as your first car.

anus
  • anus

iHoodz Prez

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:31 AM

QUOTE (kevin2006rhs @ Jun 11 2008, 23:09)
or having an F1 race car as your first car.

Did you know that Fernando Alonso didn't get his drivers license until after his first world championship?

sigh.gif

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (Desmosedici @ Jun 12 2008, 00:31)
QUOTE (kevin2006rhs @ Jun 11 2008, 23:09)
or having an F1 race car as your first car.

Did you know that Fernando Alonso didn't get his drivers license until after his first world championship?

sigh.gif

Well I guess you learn something new every day...

But to argue that tid bit of information, I know he worked his way up from something like go carts or shifter carts and then, eventually, F1. And we know Fido is not Fernando Alonso, so he will die if he hops on something that strong.

Doink
  • Doink

:O

• The Precinct

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:54 AM

Hey guys.

With gas prices and whatnot, as well as a growing interest in bikes, I have been considering getting a motorcycle license and a bike to last me at least through the rest of my college career (4 years).

One type of bike in particular that I have to oggling is the Honda CBR, preferably a 2004 and up model, and something at under a 600.

Any other suggestions, feel free to give them to me.

crazydude
  • crazydude

Blah!

• Feroci Racing

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (Doink @ Jun 12 2008, 01:54)
Hey guys.

With gas prices and whatnot, as well as a growing interest in bikes, I have been considering getting a motorcycle license and a bike to last me at least through the rest of my college career (4 years).

One type of bike in particular that I have to oggling is the Honda CBR, preferably a 2004 and up model, and something at under a 600.

Any other suggestions, feel free to give them to me.

The smallest CBR they make in the U.S. is 600 I believe. The motorcycle itself is still too powerful to be a starter bike, especially since it has a 100+ hp engine.

As a beginner I would recommend something in the 250-500 range. Kawasaki line of bikes have a great starter selection.

If I were you I would look into the new ninja 250. It was completely redesigned for 2008 and I gotta say, its a pretty sharp looking bike. It will do 0-60 in about 5.75 sec (that's 350z territory) and is capable of doing 120 on the highway. The bike starts at $3500 new, and it will do about 65-70 mpg. The suspension has also been updated, and the reviews say its the best handling bike out there. Sure, in a straight line, the 600+cc bikes would own it, but in the twisties, this bike is faster than all of them!

The baby ninja is the ideal starter bike. And while you may drop it, like most beginners do, you wont feel as bad because its not some $10K bike. And when you are ready to sell it and move up, you will get most of your money back, because they tend to keep their value, especially the new model.

The bad thing is: It may be hard finding one since they are in great demand right now.

This one is somewhat modded:
user posted image

Doink
  • Doink

:O

• The Precinct

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:17 AM

Hey crazy, thanks a lot for that. I am as newb to bikes as it gets, so all that info is MUCH appreciated.

Actually found an 01 model on craigslist right in town.

http://dallas.craigs.../688901421.html

Along with an 08 model asking for $4200

http://dallas.craigs.../697277538.html

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:32 AM Edited by Picolini, 12 June 2008 - 07:37 AM.

$3500.... 70mpg... 0-60 in mid to high 5's... I like all those numbers!
I've always been interested in bikes, "crotch rockets"/sports bikes mainly. With all the above it sounds like it might be a nice move. Thing is, it's bad weather about 50% of the year around here. Most of that being snow... the other being rain and cold weather I'd say. But, sh*t if I had a bike it'd pay off in the good season. I should really look into get a cycle license.

Question, how well do you think a bike like the Ninja 250 would handle a 300lb guy?
I know I'd look a bit funny anyways, but who gives a sh*t when I'm beating 90% of cars around here and getting 2x+ better mpg?

MaroonZ28
  • MaroonZ28

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:51 AM

I'm sure it could handle you. My Dad is about 260 and he used to ride a Honda VF750F Interceptor easily. That was up until he wrecked and broke most of his ribs and colar bone. Hes stuck with Harleys since then. I'd love to get me a bike in a few years but the problem with me is that i'm just too short (Only 5' 2"). I've sat on a MV Agusta inlove.gif at a bike show and felt comfortable on it but I still don't know how I would do riding. I need to get something soon. 15 MPG is killing me.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:06 AM

Try 10mpg tounge.gif

I just got an online Geico quote... $150 a month pretty much, and my guess is actually getting will be more. I'd have to look around. $100 would be pushing it on any savings, as I'd still have to carry car insurance. I could probably get a summer thing though, so I'm not throwing money away during the winter, ya know. There's gotta be places that do that.

Doesn't help that I'm:

-Male
-Under 25
-Two tickets (speeding, improper lane usage)
-I'd get a sports bike

As for riding it, I'd hope it'd be able to carry all of me. I'm about 5'7"-8", so I'm probably fine standing on it.

millsy
  • millsy

millsy

• Members

Posted 12 June 2008 - 03:09 PM

my fav bike has 2b the kawasaki zx-6r the 636 model of course. even tho all 600 riders thinks is cheating i dont care

i mean for gods sake its called a ninja 4 a reason lol devil.gif

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

What reason is that? Ninjas cheat?

I sold my 500 a few weeks ago. I'm aiming to pick up a model I had no idea even existed: A 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. My god, this thing is sexy and gets up like nobody's f*cking business. Now that I've got two years under my belt, I've been riding friend's bikes, ranging from 600s to a ZX14R that someone was trying to sell. The 650 is a f*cking beast, I can't wait to pick it up. Only $6400 brand f*cking new aswell.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (Picolini @ Jun 12 2008, 02:06)
Try 10mpg tounge.gif

I just got an online Geico quote... $150 a month pretty much, and my guess is actually getting will be more. I'd have to look around. $100 would be pushing it on any savings, as I'd still have to carry car insurance. I could probably get a summer thing though, so I'm not throwing money away during the winter, ya know. There's gotta be places that do that.

Doesn't help that I'm:

-Male
-Under 25
-Two tickets (speeding, improper lane usage)
-I'd get a sports bike

As for riding it, I'd hope it'd be able to carry all of me. I'm about 5'7"-8", so I'm probably fine standing on it.

Get a 500cc bike, don't tell them the model name, and get a quote through PROGRESSIVE. I've gotten two tickets and totaled a car when I was 17 and I still only pay $45 a month for full coverage. The problem with Geico is although they like to pretend they understand motorcycles, they don't understand that we don't want to pay out the f*cking ass for insurance.

I went through a comparison company and ended up with Progressive. I was paying $30 a month for liability insurance, and when I turned 21 I switched it to full coverage for $15 more/month.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:18 PM

Why a 500cc? Sounds like it'd be a bit f*cking fast and strong, imo.
And is it easy to not tell them the bike model? I thought that was mandatory info.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 12 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (Picolini @ Jun 12 2008, 10:18)
Why a 500cc? Sounds like it'd be a bit f*cking fast and strong, imo.
And is it easy to not tell them the bike model? I thought that was mandatory info.

500cc is nothing. Don't get scared of numbers just yet, a 500cc engine won't rip you off the bike unless you plan on doing stupid stuff. In my experience, the 500 was a pussycat until you opened it up, and you had to have some confidence to do that. You're not going to have a muscle twitch and open the throttle all the way. wink.gif

Insurance Guy: What type of bike is it?
You: It's a 2008 Kawasaki 500R.
Insurance Guy: K thx.

Don't mention things like "Ninja", "GSXR", "CBR", "Hayabusa (god forbid)" or "Monster". These small differences tend to freak out potential underwriters.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 June 2008 - 08:14 PM Edited by Picolini, 13 June 2008 - 03:01 AM.

Ah, makes sense with the insurance (edit: I just did a quote through Progressive and it was only $46 a month! f*ck Geico, lol).
You're probably right about me going with a 500 or so. My mom had a 150cc back in the 70s and she said she could barely cruise at 60, so with my weight a 500 would do just fine. At 300lbsor so, I weigh 90% +asmuch as the 250R tounge.gif
Edit: My boss recommended I get a 650, lol.

I think I'll look into getting my license this summer so I can get a bike next spring. A little late to throw in getting a bike into my finances right now.
Any recommendations on a bike around 500cc? Whats the best bang for your buck?

edit:
A question for those in the US. What I'd like to do is get my license out of the way so I have it ready next riding season, a little under a year from now pretty much. Mainly because it'll take time to actually get a bike.
My question, how will I take the tests and do the practice drives? Do the classes provide a vehicle, or do I need my own? If I need my own, I guess I'm f*cked for now. But how are they going to assume we have our own motorcycle BEFORE we have a license? Doesn't make sense to me.

Beez
  • Beez

Given To Fly

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:23 PM

Picolini, sign up for an MSF beginner course in your area. They provide bikes, fullfill the driving portion of the DMV test and should get you a 10% discount with your insurance. Here's a link.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

Another good bike for you beginners to consider that is still sporty but in a different way is the Suzuki DRZ400 SM. This is the Supermoto/supermotard version of the dualsport DRZ 400S. It is a 400cc single cylinder, street legal, electric start but geared for the street and has 17" wheels (same size as sportbikes) with sportbike tires on them. Still faster than 90% of cars on the road and handles like it's on rails. Insurance is cheaper due to engine size and the fact that it doesn't have all the bodywork a sportbike has (one of the things that drives up insurance rates). So when you drop it, like all n00bs do, pretty much nothing will be damaged. It won't keep up with sportbikes on fast roads but a good rider can hang with them on a very tight twisty road. The single cylinder engine of the DRZ will not make the horsepower of a Twin or Four but it make good torque for its engine size and that's the grunt you feel off the line. Put an aftermarket muffler on them and they sound great too. For about $1000 buck you can buy a second set of wheels from the dualsport DRZ with knobbies and a quick swap will turn it into a dirtbike.

Other good beginner bikes are any street legal dualsport bike, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki SV650, Buell Blast. Great advice from the other posters on starting small. Better to go fast on a slow bike than slow on a fast bike. You don't want to be known as the guy with an GSX-R1000 who's afraid to lean it over and has 3 inch "chicken strips" on his tires. Beginner bikes are always in demand so you can usually sell them for what you paid for them if you take care of it (or buy a beater, fix it up and sell for more). But for a n00b is probably best to get one in good condition.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:56 PM Edited by Picolini, 21 June 2008 - 06:40 AM.

Thanks Beez icon14.gif

Thing is, the closest and earliest courses I can sign up for is more than an hour away, and not until mid to late October sad.gif
So are the classes only three days?? That's what it looks like from the dates posted (July 18-20; July 25-27; etc). Sounds like a short amount of time to learn to ride!

edit: Looking back, those are Friday-Saturday-Sunday courses, so it is just 3 days, but friday is 4 hours, and Sat and Sun are 10 hours, so 22 24 hours total. icon14.gif icon14.gif
Sucks though, I'm not sure if I can drive 2 1/2 hours a day for even just 3 days... it'd be hard to get weekends off at work as well. I might have to wait until next season for classes mad.gif

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 July 2008 - 07:41 AM Edited by Picolini, 04 July 2008 - 08:00 AM.

Sorry for the double post bump here guys blush.gif

So guys, I was looking into different kinds of bikes and "street fighter" styles are looking nice to me. Something about the exposed engine and the stances of them just look nice.
I was looking at Triumph Speed Triples but they look a bit plain, imo, and there kind of on the expensive side even for a used one. Plus, I don't think 100+hp will go nicely for me as a beginner.

Any suggestions on bikes with the street fighter look, around the 500cc area, and some pretty aggressive styling, at a decent price? I know 2/3 of those are all opinion, but post just what you think!

edit:

Maybe something like this Buell XB12S, except my guess is they're on the expensive side, and this one is modded like crazy. And it's probably a little too small (size wise, not sure about the engine), me being 5'8" and 300lbs or so. I don't want to be that fat guy you see cruising on a tiny little crotch rocket that he dwarfs. confused.gif
But it gives you an idea of what I'm going for.

user posted image

Beez
  • Beez

Given To Fly

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:09 PM

The Suzuki GS500 might fit all your current requirements. It's a very good bike for beginners, it's been around for a long time so you should be able to find a used one no problem. Has the streetfighter look and no bodywork to damage when you drop it (that will also keep insurance lower) and all beginners drop it.
user posted image

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:13 PM

Hmm, a bit laid back looking, I'd like a little more sporty looking bike. But, I'll definitely keep it in mind. Saw one on cycletrader.com for $1,300, so the price is right icon14.gif

makiaveli777
  • makiaveli777

Keep ya head up

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:27 PM

I like racing with my minibike biggrin.gif . but damn those things can go fast.

BCspeed34
  • BCspeed34

CEO

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 July 2008 - 05:23 PM

Well I just found a Kawasaki Ninja on craigslist for only $500! I can't tell whats wrong with it, so I am waiting on a reply back from the seller. Now, this just isn't any Ninja. After having a second glance at the posting, I noticed it was not a Ninja 250 or a 500, but the bike formerly known as "The World's Fastest Production Bike". A ZX-11. I think I am gonna test ride it since I have been riding 250 dirtbikes for the past 8 years, but if it doesn't feel right I might just turn and resell the bike. Going for over 5 times that price on eBay.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:24 AM

Damn, if it runs alright and nothing major is broken, I'd say it's a damn good deal! Even if it goes in a few months, $500 isn't sh*t.

lurchseesu420
  • lurchseesu420

I gotta get outta here!

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:46 AM

My friend bought a Ninja for 75 bucks and sold it for 90. It didn't have a title. It looked good but had carb and electrical problems. Friend didn't feel like fixing it so he sold it for some quick cash.

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:18 AM

I've found what I want:

user posted image

Buell XB9S. I've seen a few online for rather cheap, ~4 grand. 92hp, 72lb-ft tq (I think), for a first bike I think that's plenty. I'm a little worried about how I'll look on it, but f*ck it, who cares.
Why the XB9S instead of the 12? Price, for one thing. And I don't think I need the increased power of the 12, either.

lurchseesu420
  • lurchseesu420

I gotta get outta here!

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:25 AM Edited by lurchseesu420, 05 August 2008 - 05:28 AM.

With gas prices these days, I've been flirting with the idea of getting a bike. Wondering what's the cheapest driveable thing I can get. Maybe an old (70's or 80's) Kawasaki, Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki. What can one be had for? Wouldn't mind a project (as if one wasn't enough) that I'd be doing the usual work on either. If it's anything like working on a four wheeler or a Bug, I might be a step ahead. Just want something cheap and simple to work on.

Nahkis
  • Nahkis

What?

• Members

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Picolini @ Aug 5 2008, 08:18)
I've found what I want:

http://www.dleventha.../Buell-side.jpg

Buell XB9S. I've seen a few online for rather cheap, ~4 grand. 92hp, 72lb-ft tq (I think), for a first bike I think that's plenty. I'm a little worried about how I'll look on it, but f*ck it, who cares.
Why the XB9S instead of the 12? Price, for one thing. And I don't think I need the increased power of the 12, either.

Buell looks nice, saw one couple weeks ago. I just had to test sitting on it, really interesting bike!
I wish I had the money for 2 bikes... tounge.gif

Just 4k for that bike in the US? Damn, even bikes are cheap there!

stretch.
  • stretch.

30% of the time, we deliver all the time!

• Members

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

Well, personally I would looove a triumph bonneville biggrin.gif

user posted image

There's one in a dealer near me in matte black with some amazing pinstriping for just a shade over 3k, 1 year old, 6k miles.

gowjus.

All I need now is a bike licence tounge.gif

Picolini
  • Picolini

ZOMG ROFL XD!!!!11

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Nahkis @ Aug 5 2008, 03:39)
QUOTE (Picolini @ Aug 5 2008, 08:18)
I've found what I want:

http://www.dleventha.../Buell-side.jpg

Buell looks nice, saw one couple weeks ago. I just had to test sitting on it, really interesting bike!
I wish I had the money for 2 bikes... tounge.gif

Just 4k for that bike in the US? Damn, even bikes are cheap there!

I just found one in yellow for under $4,000 with something like 5,000 miles on it, 2003 I think.
There was another 2003 in silver for like $4,300 with 6,000 miles on it as well. Used, but barely, and still pretty cheap.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users