Photo

The Motorcycle Topic

889 replies to this topic
ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:26 AM

Congrats on the Ninja.. show us some pictures soon! I thought about buying one of those GoPro cameras and attaching to my bars at some point.. show you some life in the fast lane ;)

I bought a Drift HD a few months ago, but didn't ride much last year. Gonna get something with some better quality. I'll see if I can find the video anywhere.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

I was told GoPro Hero 3's are quite nice but some people experience issues with it. Never used a mounted camera so I'm not sure exactly which one to buy or if there are a variety of other brands out there?

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:05 AM

Oh there are a lot of them. GoPros are nice because they are small. I know a MotoVlogger who mounted one inside his helmet. Drift cameras are a little bigger BUT you can mount them almost any direction because you can turn the lens to reorient it. I like mine but I'm just not a fan of the quality It's also pretty old though. 

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

I tried doing it with my cell phone once.. didn't work out all that well. I've seen GoPro's at Wal-Mart I think, does Best Buy carry them or other brands?

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:01 PM Edited by ryuclan, 12 January 2014 - 05:05 PM.

Best buy has GoPros They are pretty expensive. i THINK Bestbuy also carries a couple other brands but GoPro is so popular that you can find mounts and whatnot all over the place. It's pretty crazy. Personally I'm too broke to afford one so I just enter in their "Everything we Make" giveaway lol!!

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

I was told GoPro Hero 3's are quite nice but some people experience issues with it. Never used a mounted camera so I'm not sure exactly which one to buy or if there are a variety of other brands out there?

There are some. I've read good things about Sony's Action Cam (HDR-AS30V).

GoPro is the only one I know that comes with housing that is water proof to over 100', though. Doesn't make a difference if you just want to use it above surface, but if you are thinking about diving, I can guarantee that you'll want to bring a camera. (I've tried to use a phone housing for that, but pressure interfered with touchscreen operation despite the silicone membrane. I can tell you that there is zero reception bellow 10'.)

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:34 AM

Yeah, I don't intend to do any diving or anything.. just tag it along for some rides and maybe some of the rare Gun Range trips I make nowadays. I'll snoop around Best Buy and have a look. I like Sony as a company so I'll consider that and the GoPro when looking at the specs and reviews over it. Thanks guys.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:49 AM Edited by ryuclan, 16 January 2014 - 03:50 AM.

Ok I have to ask you guys about this because maybe I'm just a pussy. So GoPro has this "Video of the Day" thing, and a few days ago they featured this video.

Now I thought it wasn't a very good choice in video. This dude was VERY close to dying, and I don't think they should encourage this sh*t. What do you guys think. Was this stupid or "adventurous?" Am I just a pussy or was this guy a complete idiot? Also here is the video without the dramatic music.

I'm not going to lie though, it made for a pretty epic f*cking video after it was all cut up and edited.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

Honestly, it's probably more of a PSA. There might be a few people who think, "Hey, that made for a cool video, I should try it," but for every person who does, there ought to be, like, ten who think, "That's way more dangerous than I ever thought. Better not try it." I'm sure net result would be to lower number of attempts of crossing flood waters.

That does bring back the point on water proof casing, though. You might not expect to go diving, but fates can have another plan. If you don't have a scuba tank on you, 100' will be overkill, but something rated to 10' is probably a good idea to have just in case. (Things that don't have at least a minimal depth rating, even if they are water/splash proof, might still leak on impact with a body of water.)

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition + a load of car mount accessories. I've only used it a couple times for its intended purpose (driving around with it attached) and the rest of the time I take it out when I party because I'm not afraid of it getting beer on it or dropping it whilst drunk. It really is the best camera for a night out. Anyway about the video above, I think it was pretty stupid but quite adventurous of him to try and attempt such an undertaking. A lot of GoPro videos I've seen are close to the edge (I suppose thats what it's about if you want to get some exciting footage) and I've actually seen GoPro video of one of my girlfriends acquaintances have a massive crash on his motorbike which sent him into a coma for a month or so.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Yeah, I guess so. I guess its because I haven't gotten comfortable enough on a bike to do something like that. Also I'd be worrying about drowning with my helmet on.

S99
  • S99

Formally; Stueycow

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:16 PM Edited by BAF-stueycow, 24 January 2014 - 10:18 PM.

Hi,

I'm posting for your opinions. I am buying a road legal (UK) Motorbike. Don't want anything brand new, just something that works and is 50cc. I was thinking of a:

Aprilia Rs 50

Aprilia sx 50

Derbi GPR

Gillera DNA 50

can you think of any others? and what are your opinions on those? I can do a bit of work such as electrical or bodywork but i cant do a full restoration on the engine for example.

Help would be appriciated

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 January 2014 - 03:01 AM

50cc???? I didn't even know there were road legal 50cc bikes.

Torcidas
  • Torcidas

rm -rf /

• Members

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:31 AM

grats on the Ninja K^2. Awesome to see the motorcycle bug has bitten you as well. My first bike is a Ninja, bulletproof bikes. If you're a newbie, definitely invest in some decent gear for yourself... at minimum a good helmet, jacket and gloves. Enjoy!

S99
  • S99

Formally; Stueycow

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

grats on the Ninja K^2. Awesome to see the motorcycle bug has bitten you as well. My first bike is a Ninja, bulletproof bikes. If you're a newbie, definitely invest in some decent gear for yourself... at minimum a good helmet, jacket and gloves. Enjoy!

I have had bikes in the past, just looking for my first road legal one, since its my 16th in about 11 months. and it takes time to get it in perfect condition.

@ryuclan I hope that was a joke

Also my budget is £1500. But I want some spare for tax, insurance, petrol etc...

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:58 PM

I don't know about UK, but in US, anything under 50cc (and everything advertised as 50cc is actually just under, e.g. 49.5cc to 49.9cc) is classified as a moped, and isn't highway-legal. (These are state laws, but it's pretty uniform.) But it can be street legal, so long as it has all the lights, horn, mirrors, and some other requirements like that. (Again, depends on state, but most requirements are pretty standard.)

So make sure you check your local laws before you spend your money.

Thanks. I got the helmet right away, so that I can do a test ride. I'll definitely make sure to get gloves and appropriate wear once this winter weather passes. I did get the plates the other day, though. Can't wait for weather to improve.

S99
  • S99

Formally; Stueycow

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

I don't know about UK, but in US, anything under 50cc (and everything advertised as 50cc is actually just under, e.g. 49.5cc to 49.9cc) is classified as a moped, and isn't highway-legal. (These are state laws, but it's pretty uniform.) But it can be street legal, so long as it has all the lights, horn, mirrors, and some other requirements like that. (Again, depends on state, but most requirements are pretty standard.)

So make sure you check your local laws before you spend your money.

Its basicly the same in UK, Anything under 125cc? cant go on the motorway, but they can go on Duel Carriageways.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

@ryuclan I hope that was a joke

Hey, I'm from Wisconsin, nobody rides a 50cc motorcycle unless it's a dirtbike, pitbike, or an electric bicycle. My bad for not knowing it's just not a thing here.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

In Georgia so far, it's street legal to own a 50cc or under but as K^2 has stated, you can't take it on highways or interstates.. but anything above 50cc requires a tag and insurance. Atleast in Georgia, I'm not sure about the other states or if that's everywhere.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 26 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Well, finally had someone give me an offer I couldn't refuse on this old sporty that I've posted before:

504b08b1c164419dbb45029e77df8452.png

Hauled it off to them yesterday.. a bit sad about it because it was another custom I was going to build for myself but cash is king these days. I was able to get $4500 for it.. pretty good deal, considering the rust and no primary cover.

Hate to see it go honestly.. but hey, where there is space now, I can just place another bike to rot for the meantime I guess! I have one bike on the lift now that I was going to repair for a friend of a friend but he hasn't called or updated me on the parts he was supposed to buy, so I'm at odds to keep the bike myself. It's been sitting on my lift for nearly 3mos (at my house, not shop), so I'm getting pissed off about it. Beautiful bike, though the paint job is a bit sh*tty, it's a custom paint but the colors are just mehhh.. here's a pic or two, sorry for quality but eh..

9e5e1504b302c245a8f2a46e2a75da09.png

83570e6d49d7c3d6f3a05b3d370ee7ac.png

a0c157eb27dfd5196ba0b90d63f7aebb.png

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

What do you say to your paint guy when you think he's taking too long? lol I gave the guy my tank and side covers almost a month ago and I don't think he's even started prepping them yet. He said he planned on painting them last tuesday but I asked if he started today and he said no. Anyway I never sent something out for paint and I work with this guy (he's a body shop tech). I don't want to alienate him because the price is right but I would like the tank back at least so I can start my bike up and get all the moisture out of it. Might have to rig something up to run some gas through it. I'm so anxious lmao.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

I know the lesser routes are easier to take due to cost.. I've been there myself but if the guy you've picked to do your paint hasn't started on it yet and it's been over a week (nearly 2wks now).. I'd just get your tins back and go somewhere else. Not because I think the guy is an asshole but I don't have time like that.. I'd either paint it myself or go to the next guy. Which in my line of business and reputation, I can get some work done fairly cheap. But atleast go to the guy's house and approach him about it. If he hasn't any work started on it, just politely say 'Hey man, I have some rides coming and I have to get this done, thanks for the offer but I need to have someone paint'. No reason to be stuck on this guy, co-worker, friend or not.

Get your sh*t back man, he could of atleast started sanding and bondo.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:16 AM

Yeah I know, it's prepped already. I'm heading down to Cancun next Saturday and then I have training up in Minnesota when  I come back so I'll let him know I need it The first week of March because hopefully it will start getting a little warmer. I wouldn't be so mad about it but he kept telling me to bring the parts in for him to paint. It's not like I was badgering him about it and he said he didn't have time. Anyway for the love of God can this weather go away.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Respectable bump.

Ryu, did you ever get your tins painted? Been raining here the last 3 days, so riding has been minimal for me not to mention the f*cking pollen. My head has felt like a cannonball for acouple weeks. I might be trading in my Road King for a Street Glide, having really made up my mind, hard to let my main baby go :(

Torcidas
  • Torcidas

rm -rf /

• Members

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:56 PM

Riding season is about to start here in Toronto..... lots of work to do on my Ninja. Carb clean, needle shim, oil & fluid change, new spark plugs, new chain, new battery, new tires, new pipe.. Oh and insurance shopping of course... fun

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

You don't keep insurance year round or you just remove it in the off-season? Year round insurance here but we never get snow or anything so it's safe to ride if you can just put up with rain every now and then and some cold days.

Beautiful morning here today, so I might do a little joyriding before heading to the shop. Then I have to leave work a bit early to head downtown to take care of some stuff, so I have a decent day of riding ahead of me. I might even ride on the back roads and take in the country air and hills a bit before heading back to work.

I have to go to the Harley shop Thurs to check out the '14 Street Glide and go for a little cruise to see if I'm going to do the trade-in or not.. decisions, decisions. Luckily it's a little pre-owned, so that drops a bit of the money down but it's worth it. Beautiful bikes and reliable and sleek. Here's a pic of one to get an idea

2014_harley_davidson_flhx_street_glide_m

Though the one I'm interested in at the HD shop is black denim, which is basically a matte finish.. we'll see what happens. Damn it's sexy.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

We used to have half year insurance around here but that stopped years ago. Bike insurance is so cheap that it almost doesn't matter. Even though it is seasonal riding here I would hate to not have insurance during the snowy winter. You may not be riding but who is to say that snow and ice can't cause your stored bike trouble - roofs collapse and sh*t like that.

Anyway...our public transit may strike starting on Monday, so I put my battery in - shined her up - got her ready for the season today.

Took my traditional first run of the season to the beer store.

Now I don't care if they strike or not. Nothing beats the beginning of the riding season here. Love it, love the smell, love the feeling. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Torcidas
  • Torcidas

rm -rf /

• Members

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:46 PM

Nah, you have to keep it year long here in Ontario at least because of the ridiculous cancellation penalties.. Been with the same insurer for the past two years, but this year I surprisingly had an increased renewal rate despite being 100% clean, so I've found better options. I still can't afford supersport insurance (you're looking at over 3-4K a year if you're under 25), so I'm keeping the Ninja for yet another season. I've found a rate of 1100 for full coverage which I am happy with.

That's a beautiful looking HD there GunWrath (don't worry trip, I know yours is beautiful too :p), hopefully you can get a good price on one. My dad was a lead contractor for one of the HD buildings here in the city, I remember as a kid going to work with him just to stare at the bikes in the garage all day...

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:54 PM

Yeah, I ended up skipping out on it. Just wasn't ready to get rid of my Road King just yet. Especially after putting new jugs and pistons on it. Maybe next year or so I'll eventually let go and get the SG. Funny thing though, when I stopped by the clubhouse after going to the HD shop and test riding, one of the boys ended up trading his Crossbones in on a 2012 SG  the day before.. so atleast one of us got one I suppose, the bastard!

I had a guy come by the shop yesterday asking about some repairs on his custom and we got to chatting. He was showing me pictures of his dad's bike. His dad owns a WCC El Diablo.. I can't even imagine the price on that hog but he came across it after a guy put it up for sale on Craigslist, the dude got in a automobile accident just months after buying the Diablo and has minor problems with mobility so he wasn't able to ride it much or at all so he was forced to sell it, so the dude's dad was able to scoop it up. I got the fella's phone number, I've never seen an El Diablo in person, so I'm hoping the man can ride up here so I can take a look at it.

As far as insurance, the cost isn't too bad down here, I use Progressive Insurance, I pay around $800/year and that's with an Extended Coverage.. so it's not too bad.. definitely worth it. Not to mention that's coverage for my 3 personal bikes.

Boss 1992
  • Boss 1992

aka gnad

• Members
  • Brazil
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

Any sbk/hypersports riders here?  :turn:

598594_431957103538336_2055922741_n.jpg

529239_499210083479704_729142694_n.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users