The Motorcycle Topic

848 replies to this topic
GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:05 AM Edited by GunWrath, 07 September 2013 - 12:08 AM.

Edit:: SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST .. wasn't thinking

GVUjBUSl.jpg

QOYeD6al.jpg

OPeVATml.jpg

w4oZDDNl.jpg

CJVMBFWl.jpg

KZ 1000, I bobbed out acouple years ago.. just sitting under a tarp these days :(

s8yY1p3l.jpg

Honda Super Sport .. doing the same as KZ, already got weeds growing over it

oXYiC1gl.jpg

My next bike for myself when I get some free time to start chopping. Sportster

uum2mMnl.jpg

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:08 AM Edited by trip, 07 September 2013 - 12:11 AM.

Join us for the toy run.  We host the worlds largest toy run.  It is the shortest ride ever but it is still 100+k bikes.  More bikes in one day than all of Daytona bike week.  First Sunday in November - usually pretty f*cking cold.

1%ers can wear colors and there has never been an issue.  There really is no explaining the feeling.  It really is "For the kids".

*not a year goes by in this thread without me going on about the toy run :D

Edit:

Your post happened while I was slow typing.

-Ditch the wrapped pipes.

-Love the Sporty.

• GunWrath likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

Where's the toy run take place? I've always did toy runs when I was available.. with a kid of my own, it doesn't hurt to help where I can.

Yeah, I'm a fan of wrapped pipes but normally for bobbers or older modeled bikes.. they don't really fit this bike, not sure what the guy was thinking. I'm not really into the solid wheels either man.. but like I said before, things can be changed. But the seat and all make those drag bars uncomfortable as sh*t while sitting and grabbing, not sure wtf made him keep them on there.. he's in his 40's.. must of kept it in the garage or just a city bike. But damn those short pipes he has on there man are f*cking beautiful sounding. I cranked it up when I walked out there earlier and I had to immediately turn it off.. lol

But colors worn is good.. though if you're talking about a Toy Run up in PA and I roll solo, I'd prolly just roll casual but not sure how the schedules would work.. my guys will be back Sunday afternoon/night, atleast that's what they said, no telling what bars/strippers/chapters they may visit and party with on the way back but post a Date and location and I'll see what we can't do man. I wouldn't mind another road trip myself and if I can fix the clutch on this heritage and replace the seat atleast, I'm willing to go down memory lane on a long distance tear. :^:

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:43 AM

http://delawarevalle...toysfortots.htm

Oh my holy hell...This is the first time I pulled up the site this year.  The Sponsored by The Marines is f*cking crazy.  We used to call the run 'toys for tots' and the Marines actually got all pissy and sued since we collect more toys in one day, in one city than they do all season long.  It has been the "Run for the Kids" since.

Not kidding you with how crazy that sponsored by the Marines part is.  

I can't give you full lodging or anything, but you can chill here and all.  The run actually ends about 5 mins from my house.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:44 AM Edited by GunWrath, 07 September 2013 - 04:22 AM.

K man, I'll run it by the dudes and see how they feel.. I'm interested and yeah, doesn't surprise me about the Corps man.. they're money hungry at this point or any publicity. Even Wal-Mart sells EGA Licensed shirts and all now from the Corps.  :blink:

Also, just went to Discovery On Demand to check out some shows I may need to catch up on and noticed a new series added called Phillie Throttle .. some dude that restores and builds older model bikes like Triumphs, Nortons, etc. Not sure what to take from it yet, just finished first episode of it.. seems a bit ehhh.. but hell, it's another bike show, so why not.

I've also been stuck on 'Let Ride' on National Geographic.. Arlon Ness' grandson's show about building some bikes or what not. Newer generation though, so expect the skater type dudes and all.. but still a decent show.

Beez
  • Beez

Given To Fly

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

Been awhile since I've been on this forum but I wanted to read up on GTA V which is only days away. Then remembered this topic. I was laid off in January which sucked and it took about 6 months to find a job, but what a job. I'm working at Twisted Throttle as their graphic designer! Pretty cool to be back in the motorcycle industry. If you are ever in Rhode Island, come by and check out the showroom and say hi.

Happy riding.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:27 AM

Nice job, Beez. Do you get to participate in any model/bike photoshoots :D Atleast you found a job though brother.. days are rough these times. Never heard of Twisted Throttle, are they a chain store or just a local stop n shop?

Beez
  • Beez

Given To Fly

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thanks, it's good to be back working. At some point I will be involved in photo shoots and such. Twisted Throttle is primarily an online retailer but it has a retail store in Exeter, RI. It is also where the warehouse and customer service call center is. We are also at all the IMS motorcycle shows and many rallies throughout the year. We're sort of like Revzilla but smaller.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

Ah, can't say I've ever came across y'all. When you do the shoots, report back with some pics ;)

I usually have acouple local girls pose with some of my builds before a customer comes and picks up their ride. In the process of starting a website soon, business is picking up and I finally hired a hand .. so I'm able to kick back more often. :^:

Torcidas
  • Torcidas

rm -rf /

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

I posted a little while ago about the purchase of my first bike.. since then I've just been riding the living crap out of it. Its a Ninja 250 and I hope to upgrade soon.. I'm under 25 so a supersport is still kinda out of the question (Ontario insurance is extremely expensive) so I'm thinking about an SV650 or a GSX650.. Ninja 650 would be a nice choice but I'd like to mix things up for a change :p dunno just yet.

Anyways, I recently went on a big group ride with a bunch of people from a riding forum I'm part of and got to test out my new camera. Here's some of the footage I got.... :

• ryuclan likes this

Taste Of Chaos
  • Taste Of Chaos

Bill doesn't know.

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Cool video Torcidas! I wish I could organize a Ride-Out like that..

So tommorow I'm finally off to tax my project bike that I've been working on for the past 3 years on and off. It's a ZXR 400 H1 (1989 first road going model built), after the engine ate itself resulting in me chucking it up a curb on its side. Never actually discovering what caused the complete and sudden failure.

Luckily I was OK but the bike was absolutely hanging. I found there was no damage to the frame, but the fairings (left hand), forks and the left hand clip on were f*cked. And now having an engine made of mush.

Heres the bike about 2 hours before the accident (November something 2010)

601260_158132137652369_1330841890_n.jpg

I have loads of pics of the engine innards somewhere, will post them up when I find them. Sourced a new engine out of an Identical bike with much less miles on the clock from a breakers and took the clocks to match the engines mileage, luckily this came from my life long friend James dad who I trust.

The forks came off an H2 (1990) model on Ebay for cheap but are in good working order, popped new oil and dust seals in them and changed the Oil (SAE 10W) for my own piece of mind and on they went.

481459_227181727414076_45371091_n.jpg

New engine and forks in, taken about a year ago give or take. I had managed to rebuild most of the fairings by making them as ugly as possible from the Inside, there are still some cracks in there but nothing that'll cause a problem... Yet.

541382_360103774121870_2101119332_n.jpg

She passed her MOT last week with No advisories after that time, this is how she looks outside my house right now, Cannot wait to get on tomorrow and turn that key. Regarded as one of the quickest 'Pocket rockets' of the 80's and Early 90's. Needless to say, this girl moves like corn through a f*cking goose. :')

Irdin
  • Irdin

Grand Magus: Satanic Grand Lodge

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

My 2007 FLHTCUSE2.

Just over 1400 made with this particular paint job. I've replaced the stock windshield with one from Klock Werks, the whips replaced with with Kuryakyn antennas, and the pipes replaced with Rineharts.

What makes it unique above all others is that I have some of my brother's ashes mounted in the dashpad. He died in August of 2012 and was the person that taught me to ride. Now we always ride together.

IMAG0450-1024x576.jpg

The ashes container in the pad.

ashes-in-dash-pad.jpg

• ryuclan likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

@Irdin:

Sorry for such a late reply but that's a beautiful bike.. minus the color but the ashes thing is a cool thing man. :^: I bought a new bike for the collection the other day basically at a rip off, only issue is a minor transmission flaw but I have the bike on the lift now and got it gutted out.. I'll go snap some pics shortly and post them up.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:27 AM

I don't venture in this topic much as I don't have a bike, but I used to ride when I was younger. Got my motorcycle license in the UK before I even got my drivers license. Lately I've been thinking about getting a bike because of my dad. He's just turned 50 and he wants to get a Harley (hit his mid-life crisis I suppose). If he does get one I will definitely get one too so we can ride together. He quite likes the Softail Slim and Softail Deluxe and I'm eyeing the Sportster 1200 Forty Eight. Now it's not for certain we're gonna get them but right now I am really liking the idea. Anything I should consider before taking the plunge?

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:31 AM

I would recommend starting out on that Sportster 1200, they may look small but they are really powerful and ride great. I've owned and rode quite a few in my days. Not to mention, they're must better for handling and good for a 'city' bike. Softail's are great too, just about any softail is worthy of owning as well. Eventually most Harley owners end up wanting to go bigger or upgrade into the 'Cruiser' lines.. like RoadKings, Street Glide's and what not.

A buddy of mine's son first Harley was one of the newer Nightster 1200's .. that is one sexy looking bike man. He got it painted denim black and had some after market accessories added. Beautiful bike. As any Harley though, with a lot of riding can mean a lot of maintenance. Are y'all planning to be everyday riders or just weekend warriors?

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:43 AM Edited by Outcast, 27 December 2013 - 04:44 AM.

How often do I have to take it in for servicing? Are Harleys very maintenance heavy? Problem is there isn't a dealership or servicing centre for Harleys in my city, I would have to take them up the capital which is about 200km away so I'd either have to ride up there or have it trucked up there for servicing. We'd be weekend warriors so we won't be riding everyday. 

EDIT: I just want to get an idea on pricing as well, how much is a 1200 Forty-Eight in the US? It's list price is about 26,000USD over here.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:53 AM

48's here start out at like 11,000 or 12,000USD here.. not a bad price at all and I believe the Nightster's are around the same. Newer Harley's aren't as maintenance heavy as older models. You will every now and then have to turn some wrenches, just how it goes but with just weekend warrior riding, don't bank on breaking down for quite some time or requiring new seals, etc. Only thing you will need is to change the oil and perhaps add some new tires, mainly the rear will go first. But make sure you use oil specifically for Motorcycles, since automobile oil doesn't provide the protection needed for the wet clutch.

Also, nice choice on the 48, I love the look of those too, old school/cafe style. 

Pukemaggots
  • Pukemaggots

No Sir, I don't like it

• Members

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

The service schedule is: 1000mi initial service, then after that every 5000mi. (5000mi engine oil, 10,000mi engine and primary, 15,000mi engine) If those milages won't be reached it is recommended that the oils be changed before the bike will sit any extended periods of time. (6 months)

But make sure you use oil specifically for Motorcycles, since automobile oil doesn't provide the protection needed for the wet clutch.

It's not that they don't offer protection for a wet clutch, automotive oils contain friction modifiers which contaminate the friction plate causing them to slip. Even some motorcycle oils contain moly which is harmful to the clutch so they can't be used in a gearbox only the crankcase. Also diesel oils can be used in a wet clutch application due to the lack of modifiers in them. But the only Harley's you would have to worry about that on would be the VSRC line since every other model bathes the clutch in the primary oil.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:29 AM

There is an '06 Ninja 250 at a local dealership that I'm thinking of getting. I got my license in the fall, and I can't really justify a lot of expense on a motorcycle right now, since I'm still finishing up my Ph.D. This seems like a good bike to start with. I've only got a brief look at it so far, but fortunately, before they had a chance to clean it. No leaks or significant rust. Chain seemed to be in good condition. Engine also sounds good. (It took a bit to warm up before it could run with closed choke, but I understand that's normal.) I'm planning to take a closer look at it on Monday and get paperwork for financing started up. Hopefully, I'd be able to see how it rides, but that might depend on weather. At very least, I'll be able to check the clutch and brakes in the shop.

Anyways, the main question is what else should I be looking for? Any specific issues that this particular model might develop over the years that might not be immediately apparent? It only has 4k miles on the odometer, and it doesn't look neglected, so I don't suspect mechanical issues, but I want to make sure. So I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Black & White
  • Black & White

Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Would anyone be interested in coming along to an event sometime in March or April in Arizona. More details are to come.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:13 AM

Anyways, the main question is what else should I be looking for? Any specific issues that this particular model might develop over the years that might not be immediately apparent? It only has 4k miles on the odometer, and it doesn't look neglected, so I don't suspect mechanical issues, but I want to make sure. So I'd appreciate any suggestions.

What types of bikes have you ridden. Ninja 250's are fun but if you're going to want some power you're going to get bored with it fast. Good thing is that they are a dime a dozen because of how many people buy them and ditch them for bigger bikes. I would see if the owner would take the plastics off for you so you can see if there is any damage. See what kind of title it has if it has one at all and if it does not have a title then make sure you can get one in your state. I almost bought a bike without a title only to find out I could NEVER get a title for it in my state.

In other news. I just ripped my bike apart and it is ready to be prepped for paint. Ran the bike for about 20 minutes to warm it up and get the moisture out. I am contemplating moving the seat back, taking off the sissy bar, and changing out the rear fender...so many ideas and less talent than I need to do it.

Casey_Cadaver
  • Casey_Cadaver

HHMC VP

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:39 AM Edited by Casey_Cadaver, 30 December 2013 - 09:40 AM.

So i'm gonna get a bike. It would be my first. and I'm new to riding. I'm thinking of getting a '79 CB400 that my friend has for sale... I'd be slowly bobbing it out. Thoughts on this being my first bike? Good or bad idea. btw GunWrath... the bobbers are awesome. The Super Sport looks great.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 31 December 2013 - 12:09 AM

You going to go for something like this.

cb400_custom2.jpg

gravel8negro8.jpg

• Casey_Cadaver likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:25 PM Edited by GunWrath, 04 January 2014 - 12:27 PM.

@K2-

If a dealership is selling it, possible that it was a trade-in for a newer motorcycle whomever the last owner was. Are they a reliable dealership or is it one of the Used-Pre-Owned mom and pop places? They'll try and quick flip any vehicle they come across.. so I'd make sure it's a certified and license dealer and then go from there.

Have them give you a list of any work that has been done on the motorcycle before sell. If they say there is none then perhaps there are no issues but I would take it for a test drive, but I think the only issues there may be would be possible fuel flow issues due to the filter sitting for awhile and gathering moisture, same for oil. If you test drive it, make sure there's no oil light on, anytime you're riding and an oil light is one, it doesn't mean 'Change Oil' but more of 'low oil pressure' and it needs an immediate fixing. Other than that.. it's hard to say if there would be any issues.. just take it for a ride and have a look around to make sure there are no leaks, clicking or knocking going on. Even if it runs rough while idling I would be concerned.. but it has sat awhile. It's only an '06, so it should be a well running machine. My RoadKing is an '05 and I never really had issues and I bought it from a Police Department that sold it for newer models. (I still have a hand control on the bars for a Siren).

Anyways, it may sit there for a bit but most dealerships atleast around here run their machines frequently to have the fluids circulate around the motors and to keep battery life up.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:52 AM

48's here start out at like 11,000 or 12,000USD here.. not a bad price at all and I believe the Nightster's are around the same. Newer Harley's aren't as maintenance heavy as older models. You will every now and then have to turn some wrenches, just how it goes but with just weekend warrior riding, don't bank on breaking down for quite some time or requiring new seals, etc. Only thing you will need is to change the oil and perhaps add some new tires, mainly the rear will go first. But make sure you use oil specifically for Motorcycles, since automobile oil doesn't provide the protection needed for the wet clutch.

Also, nice choice on the 48, I love the look of those too, old school/cafe style. 

I been shopping around at Harley a little more and I'm now considering the Iron 883 over the 48. I love the way it looks and its quite a bit cheaper too. Have you heard good things about the 883? I don't mind that the engine is smaller than the 48, as I've said before I'm just going to be cruising now and then on the weekends.

Casey_Cadaver
  • Casey_Cadaver

HHMC VP

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

@ryuclan - 

exactly. Honestly, I really like the first one as well. After playing around for a while I'd get into chopping up the frame. I like the low look. Something like this...

dsc11.jpg

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

Thats would be badass, although I could never ride that with the tire that close to my ass lol.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

I been shopping around at Harley a little more and I'm now considering the Iron 883 over the 48. I love the way it looks and its quite a bit cheaper too. Have you heard good things about the 883? I don't mind that the engine is smaller than the 48, as I've said before I'm just going to be cruising now and then on the weekends.

In my honest opinion, anything produced from the Sportster line is always a great bike. They're tough, fun to ride and have longevity. I personally never ridden an Iron 883 or seen any around my areas though I have seen them in the HD Shops, especially in my city. So I'm sure it's a seller, because they have 4-5 883's in there at a time and mainly, I think it's because it's a great starting out bike and the price is very reasonable. Sharp looking bike too man, another good choice. I'd say go for it if you're ready.. atleast give it a little test drive if they allow it.

But rule of the road, put a gremlin bell on your bike.. :^:

• ryuclan likes this

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

I ended up buying that Ninja. Did a test ride. Everything feels, looks, and sounds good. Now I just have to wait for good weather to take it out. Thanks for the advice, guys.

• GunWrath likes this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Needs More Beer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

Congrats on the Ninja.. show us some pictures soon! I thought about buying one of those GoPro cameras and attaching to my bars at some point.. show you some life in the fast lane ;)

• ryuclan likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users