The Motorcycle Topic

846 replies to this topic
trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:35 AM

QUOTE (Jedi. @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 18:47)
Have any of you had experience with a Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide? Apologises if that's not the correct name but my knowledge of bikes, past riding them, is little to none. I was also wondering, what are the expenses of fuel that come with a bike compared to that of a car. I'm guessing it just depends on what bike and car you compare but in broad terms (if possible) is it cheaper to have a car or bike in the long term - in regards to fuel expenses.

I'm currently on a Dyna Wide Glide.
Expense wise...totally different ball game than a car. You might get 50+MPG. I don't get 50+ because I did some exhaust work.
The thing is, it is nearly impossible to ride all year long, so you can't really compare a bike to a car in overall savings on fuel.

Jedi.
  • Jedi.

MILF Hunter

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (trip @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 01:35)
it is nearly impossible to ride all year long

Could you elaborate on that?

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO
  • Best Contributor [Vehicles] 2012

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE (trip @ Monday, Nov 12 2012, 21:35)
The thing is, it is nearly impossible to ride all year long, so you can't really compare a bike to a car in overall savings on fuel.

Depends on where you live. I'm sure it's too cold in PA around now or at least in the next month, but somewhere warm like, say FL, I'm sure you could so long as it wasn't a hurricane year.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:44 PM Edited by trip, 13 November 2012 - 04:51 PM.

QUOTE (Jedi. @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 12:05)
QUOTE (trip @ Tuesday, Nov 13 2012, 01:35)
it is nearly impossible to ride all year long

Could you elaborate on that?

Well, where I live it is impossible. I'm not about to risk life and limb riding on snow and ice covered roads. Not to mention it gets mighty cold on a bike in the cooler months - no matter how much gear you wear...oh and too much gear is a pain in the ass to get out of once you are at your destination.

There are also odd safety issues that might make it so you can't ride - even during regular warm seasons. Ie. You don't want to ride in heavy winds, and there are even times where the law steps in and imposes 'no bikes on roadway' restrictions. Just like the other week when hurricane Sandy hit the east coast.

It is possible to live with just a motorcycle(I've done it), but you have to have the right circumstances. Fortunately, I live in a city with a huge public transit system and everything pretty much in walking distance. If you want to live with just a motorcycle you have to accept and be able to accommodate it not being your soul source of transport.

If you want to live with just a bike, and you live in an area that has a cold winter season, I would recommend something other than a Harley. They can get cranky in the cold.

stinomontana
  • stinomontana

contract chiller

• Members

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

Finally my atv licence plate arrived in the mail yesterday!

So i did some cruising! Gotta say you have to be really carefull with the steering.

I might have to buy some spacers and lower it to make it more stable in corners.

Diggdydog
  • Diggdydog

Trick

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

So, I've got my provisional license, gonna take my CBT soon as well. Still at a f*cking loss as to what bike to buy though. Luckily, I'll be starting some work soon, so I'll have roughly 400 a month I'll be able to save on a bike. Means there's a lot more in my price range now, I tell you that.

Probably gonna buy a nice 80's Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki. My Dad used to own a few and they're so nice inlove.gif

Hey, Jedi, sick to see you're thinking about getting a bike!

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

In a bit of confusion lately. I've read that I don't need to take a CBT again to ride a 50cc moped if I've passed my car test while having a previous CBT certificate. Also does a geared 50cc bike count as a moped?

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE (illegal_luggage @ Wednesday, Jan 16 2013, 10:43)
In a bit of confusion lately. I've read that I don't need to take a CBT again to ride a 50cc moped if I've passed my car test while having a previous CBT certificate. Also does a geared 50cc bike count as a moped?

I had assumed anything under 250cc was still considered a moped. Apparently here you can take the 250cc moped course and se the credit to get your motorcycle license.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Saturday, Jan 26 2013, 22:45)

I had assumed anything under 250cc was still considered a moped. Apparently here you can take the 250cc moped course and se the credit to get your motorcycle license.

I'm pretty sure it varies from state to state. Here in PA it is the 250cc cutoff for whether you need a license at all. All of the scooters(<250) just require you to have a basic car license. I don't know who makes the cheesy ass Buddy125 scooter but they are making a sh*t ton of money off of the hipsters in this city.

Motorcycle license laws over seas seems way different than here in the states. I guess it is for the better, but it seems pretty restrictive.

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Monday, Feb 4 2013, 20:41)
QUOTE (ryuclan @ Saturday, Jan 26 2013, 22:45)

I'm pretty sure it varies from state to state. Here in PA it is the 250cc cutoff for whether you need a license at all. All of the scooters(<250) just require you to have a basic car license. I don't know who makes the cheesy ass Buddy125 scooter but they are making a sh*t ton of money off of the hipsters in this city.

What about 50cc stuff? Here they require no license at all so they're a big favorite for drunks with a revoked license.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:15 PM Edited by ryuclan, 24 February 2013 - 02:40 AM.

So, what feels like years later, I have money saved up for a bike and I have combed Craigslist religiously for a couple weeks. It looks like I will be probably getting one of these.

user posted image

Its a 1983 Suzuki GS650S

I really like the look of it, and I think it will hold me over until i get that V-Star Classic I want so damn bad. Maybe in a year or two I'll buy a brand new one.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

QUOTE (ryuclan @ Saturday, Feb 23 2013, 17:15)
So, what feels like years later, I have money saved up for a bike and I have combed Craigslist religiously for a couple weeks. It looks like I will be probably getting one of these.

user posted image

Its a 1983 Suzuki GS650S

I really like the look of it, and I think it will hold me over until i get that V-Star Classic I want so damn bad. Maybe in a year or two I'll buy a brand new one.

Very cool. Best of luck and all. I love anything late 70s early 80s from the Japanese bikes. Loved my '82 XV920 and my '78 LTD440.

V-Stars are cool too. My buddy has one and we switch off a bunch. It is a very comfortable ride. Although...I often wonder why people get V-Stars in stead of a Harley Sportster. tounge.gif

Bike season is right around the corner for me. Can't wait!!!!

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I spoke to my dad and he's told me he plans on getting a Harley to display in their house. What sorta stuff would we have to do to prepare the bike for display? I know we'd have to drain all the fluid from it but is there anything else?

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Sunday, Feb 24 2013, 16:00)
I spoke to my dad and he's told me he plans on getting a Harley to display in their house. What sorta stuff would we have to do to prepare the bike for display? I know we'd have to drain all the fluid from it but is there anything else?

Ahhh so sad...

You should be cool with just draining the fluids. You may want to pull the battery just for fun.

Talk your dad into creating some sort of parking spot in the house...and ride the bike to and from said interior parking spot. tounge2.gif

Lurch
  • Lurch

Yeah...pretty much.

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

Yeah, static displays suck if they can't still be used from time to time. What a waste.

Diggdydog
  • Diggdydog

Trick

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

^agreed

Ryuclan, that's a pretty sick little Suzuki there man! I'm the same as Trip, I absolutely adore any Japanese bikes from the last 70's - early 80's. They're just perfect bikes! Small, light, pretty quick (some of then anyway), cheap and great to look at! Best of luck with it icon14.gif

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE (Diggdydog @ Sunday, Dec 9 2012, 20:42)
So, I've got my provisional license, gonna take my CBT soon as well. Still at a f*cking loss as to what bike to buy though. Luckily, I'll be starting some work soon, so I'll have roughly 400 a month I'll be able to save on a bike. Means there's a lot more in my price range now, I tell you that.

Probably gonna buy a nice 80's Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki. My Dad used to own a few and they're so nice inlove.gif

Hey, Jedi, sick to see you're thinking about getting a bike!

Please don't get a twist-and-go moped with a dodgy exhaust which makes a really loud and irritating noise. Go for a geared bike icon14.gif

Diggdydog
  • Diggdydog

Trick

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Haha where'd you get that from? I hate mopeds, even the ones that aren't just 50cc! Also, I said bike multiple times there tounge2.gif

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (Lurch @ Tuesday, Feb 26 2013, 11:09)
Yeah, static displays suck if they can't still be used from time to time. What a waste.

I agree it's a waste, but I can just buy one for riding and one for display. Point is moot anyhow as its my dad who is getting it, doesn't really have anything to do with me.

I actually started riding bikes before I started driving. Bikes over 125cc are illegal in china but there's a booming black market for bikes stolen in Hong Kong and smuggled over the border to Shenzhen. I had two mid nineties Honda CBR250 and CBR450 and my friend had a Kawasaki street bike. It was really all I could afford at the time (I was 16 and bought the bikes without my parents knowing as they forbid me from riding). Unfortunately as I kept my bikes stored at a friends place, cops followed him home one night and impounded all the bikes he had in his care while I came back to the UK for university. He got f*cked bad as he had to pay back everyone who's bikes he was looking after. Haven't spoken to him since then either as I got my driving license by then.

I have some pictures somewhere and I'll upload them once I find them.

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

So I went and took the plunge last week. Bought a bike.

It is a 1984 Honda Magna VF700 (V45) and I love this thing. Not too heavy, shaft drive so lower maintenance and it just feels perfect. It decided to snow again so I won't be riding for a while but I can wait for summer.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

Pics man, pics. Red? I may have seen a black Magna, but I swear they are always red.

Good pick up. You can't go wrong with an 80's Honda. Those f*ckers don't die.

Around here the temp is getting OK, but the rain seems to always happen on the days when the temp works out.

Soon. Very soon.

Chris CJ Jakobsson
  • Chris CJ Jakobsson

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

Guys, im just curious, how old you have to be to get motorcycle-license in your countreys?

You have to be 24 here in sweden sad.gif

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:29 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Thursday, Mar 14 2013, 01:12)
Pics man, pics.  Red?  I may have seen a black Magna, but I swear they are always red.

Good pick up.  You can't go wrong with an 80's Honda.  Those f*ckers don't die.

Around here the temp is getting OK, but the rain seems to always happen on the days when the temp works out.

Soon.  Very soon.

I'll take some pictures probably this weekend. My garage is too small for the bike and my fiancee's car so it's sitting at a friend's house with his Yamaha R6. When we picked it up it was raining pretty bad, so we hauled it all the way back in the rain :C. Anyway it's probably a good thing it doesn't fit in my garage, I'd lose sleep staring at it.

It looks pretty much exactly like this one
user posted image

The picture makes it look small. I wish mine was black, but it's all good.

Here I believe you can get your license at 16?

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

Yup - 16 nation wide in the states.

I'm guessing it isn't that shiny and new like. tounge2.gif

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (trip @ Thursday, Mar 14 2013, 01:37)
Yup - 16 nation wide in the states.

I'm guessing it isn't that shiny and new like. tounge2.gif

No, more dusty and dirty like lol. What's even worse is my buddy has possibly the worst garage I've ever seen. When we put the bike in there he had about an inch of ice covering the floor. Luckily, it has a center stand. confused.gif

Chris CJ Jakobsson
  • Chris CJ Jakobsson

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:50 AM

Oh what? damn it, screw Sweden and stinking its rules icon13.gif hehe

ryuclan
  • ryuclan

Maybe I'll Stay awhile

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (Chris CJ Jakobsson @ Thursday, Mar 14 2013, 01:50)
Oh what? damn it, screw Sweden and stinking its rules icon13.gif hehe

24 years old? That's pretty crazy. I can kind of understand why the age for getting your cycling license would be so high, but damn that sucks. I'm 23 so I wouldn't have much longer to wait but that's ridiculous.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

I did my CBT and all that when I was 17 in the UK. Was limited to 125cc if I remember correctly. Once you're past 21 then the limit is removed.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Absolute Dunkel:Heit

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D]
    Contribution Award [General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (Outcast @ Thursday, Mar 14 2013, 08:06)
I did my CBT and all that when I was 17 in the UK. Was limited to 125cc if I remember correctly. Once you're past 21 then the limit is removed.

Once you do your CBT, you remain limited to 125cc. The size limit goes when you pass you proper bike test, but you're limited to 12hp (usually through use of a software flash or o-ring in the carb) until you turn 21.

Outcast
  • Outcast

Scorps4Lyfe

• The Connection
  • Taiwan

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Thursday, Mar 14 2013, 15:52)
QUOTE (Outcast @ Thursday, Mar 14 2013, 08:06)

Once you do your CBT, you remain limited to 125cc. The size limit goes when you pass you proper bike test, but you're limited to 12hp (usually through use of a software flash or o-ring in the carb) until you turn 21.

You're right, I remember when I was 17 during my first year at uni I really wanted to get the YZF-R125 which was the coolest bike you could get without having it limited.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users