Photo

NCAA Football '06

43 replies to this topic
Slick Willy
  • Slick Willy

Grandpa

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 04:26 PM

This game f*ckin rocks. I'll post more about it once I can put it down. If you're like me and you bought it first thing this morning or you're just curious, post in here bitches.

woodprior383
  • woodprior383

01001000 01000001 01000011 01001011 01000101 01000100

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:34 PM

I was thinking about going to buy it later. But i couldnt decide between that and Star Wars Ep. III. I loved NCAA 05 and i still play it.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:41 PM

Picked it up earlier today. Got two free sodas and $5 off with a McDonald's coupon.

I played over 100 NCAA 05 games in the past two weeks. Can't wait to get into RFTH and Dynasty Modes. And of course, online. wow.gif

Rayo Puņo
  • Rayo Puņo

• Members

Posted 12 July 2005 - 10:56 PM

I was thinkin about gettting it, since I'm getting very tired of waiting for Madden 06. I've never been into college football, but I think this I can enjoy if it's good enough, which apparently it is.

Over The Wall
  • Over The Wall

Pumping Propaganda since 04

• The Connection

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (anuj @ Jul 12 2005, 16:41)

I played over 100 NCAA 05 games in the past two weeks.

Sweet Jesus. That's a lot of f*cking football.

The only reason I bought NCAA 05 was to scout players out of high school to eventually bring them up onto my Madden franchise. I got real into that.

I'll probably pick 06 up within the week. Might as well get a head start.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:42 PM

I'll probably rent it this weekend, cause I can only get one game before my bday(Oct 2), and I might MAdden though...

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:40 AM

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Offense

- THEY f*ckING FIXED (somewhat) THE DROPPED PASSES!
- The new controls are somewhat f*cked. It's awesome that they included 2005 Control Config, though.
- New passing controls (that combine scrambling and passing) are awesome. They got rid of the "tuck it down and run" bullsh*t. Instead, they've changed triangle to a passing icon, made the former "passing icon up/down" button into the throwitaway button, and made X into a sprint. No more getting sacked while trying to switch between passing and running.
- THEY FIXED THE SCREENS! Halfbacks, tight-ends, and QBs actually CATCH the ball on screens, flares, and trick plays.
- The new flowing running scheme is leet, although it does take some getting used to. The "juke back" part of the trick stick actually makes people miss! How strange!
- Did I mention no more drops?
- The option is still amazingly fun to run.

Defense

- They'll still throw to their primary receiver 89% of the time.
- CPU knows how to run now! No more leading the NCAA in Rushing Defense each year.
- HIT STICK! No more hit BUTTON! Thank God that they made Madden-exclusive no longer.
- Breaking blocks is a bit weird. Even when I try to run in the opposite direction, it's like they'll latch onto me.
- 2005 Controls are a must for any die-hard series fan. Mainly because they switched "Sprint" and "Switch Player"

Special Teams

- No more easy tackles for the outside players on directional kicks. No matter where you kick, blockers will form a wedge/line and give the returner a chance. Good thing is that they do that for you too. Makes returns MUCH more realistic.
- The kick meter is Madden-style now, which an accuracy range and a power meter. It's okay, not really anything to be mad about.

Game

- Race For The Heisman is a gimmick. And if you do manage to get sucked into this mode, don't try out at CB. The drill makes sure you're NEVER in the vicinity of the ball. I didn't really go deep into it, but I didn't even TOUCH the ball in the drill and I got offers from Mich., USC, and Georgia. confused.gif I walked on to Missouri because I like taking Missouri from Academic to Juggernaut.

- The entire interface has been overhauled. It's much sleeker in general, faster loading, and NO FREEZING!
- The playbook seems way too dull. In 05, it was Yellow-Pass/Blue-Run. Switched. For no reason. confused.gif
- Dynasty Mode is still the heart of this game, and they really don't disappoint. If anything, I love it more than last year, even though I haven't quite figured out In-Season Recruiting.
- Create-A-Player has been tweaked. Instead of having position-maxes for ratings, all ratings can be set to 99 if you so please. That means your FS can be your FB, TE, WR, K, P, KOS, KR, QB, HB, LB, DE, and CB.

- Impact Players are a nice touch, but it seems teh commentators focus on them like they did with HFA (Home Field Advantage) last year. The Impact Camera is leet. Nuff said.

Presentation-Wise

- The Race For The Heisman mode intro was pretty cool, I'll admit. The dorm room thing was awesome, aswell. If I ever work through this mode, I'm pretty sure it'll improve. Only reason I didn't stick it out was because I was in a rush to try out Dynasty.

- More celebrations. And some of them are pretty f*cking funny. You don't have to push start to avoid 15-yard penalties now, you can simply hit X to skip the celebration.

- The commentary has added some new lines, but it's about 75% the same from last year.

- The graphics have been heavily tuned. Not redone, not tweaked, but tuned. Skins look more like skin, jerseys have that special sheen that college jerseys have, and the grass is grass. Not turf. Animations have been added, and everything just looks better. I still thank god they haven't switched to Madden 05-style animations and models. colgate.gif

I've been playing 05 non-stop the last two weeks, as previously mentioned. My entire FLOOR hasn't been able to stop playing this game all day. It builds on everything 05 did well, and fixes MOST of what made 05 forgettable. I haven't found any major glitches or problems with the game.

If you are a series fan, there is no doubt about buying it. If you like football, you might aswell rent and see if it warrants keeping.

Overall, at the moment, I'd give it a 9.5/10.

D Jones
  • D Jones

smoked out

• Members

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:24 AM

OMG, good job Anuj on the review. And I couldn't disagree.

I love the RFTH. But sadly, I am enrolled at Miami for the QB spot. I have done 3 Practice Drills and about to play FSU on All-American level.

I love the mini-clips they have of classic plays and players.

And the music...Sucks.

Good game overall, I suggest it.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:43 AM

QUOTE (D Jones @ Jul 12 2005, 23:24)
OMG, good job Anuj on the review. And I couldn't disagree.

I love the RFTH. But sadly, I am enrolled at Miami for the QB spot. I have done 3 Practice Drills and about to play FSU on All-American level.

I love the mini-clips they have of classic plays and players.

And the music...Sucks.

Good game overall, I suggest it.

Haha, yeah, you reminded me of two more points.

1. The sliders page has a code generator so that you can easily change sliders to publicly released codes. (So you don't have to count clicks)

2. The fight music/college themes have been replaced by mostly HORRIBLE 80s-90s punk/pop music. That was f*cking stupid of EA.

Slick Willy
  • Slick Willy

Grandpa

• Members

Posted 13 July 2005 - 05:50 AM

anuj you can easily change back to the fight songs via audio options.

I'm glad that this game plays a lot like madden, but with that comes all the bullsh*t that madden does. Like a would-be safety turned into a 99 yard touchdown pass to win the game... right.

D Jones
  • D Jones

smoked out

• Members

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:09 AM

Yes, I am changing back to the classic fight music.

Also, I wish were they had it in RTFH were you could only control your player. And I hate it when you auto-matically start, its kinda BS to have me start over a guy like Adrian Peterson confused.gif .

@Slick:Well, welcome to football were UNC isn't that good tounge.gif .

Sniper.
  • Sniper.

-

• Members

Posted 13 July 2005 - 01:59 PM

Man I have to get this game. BUt first I must get money and getting money here is a bitch, especially asking for some from my parents. So I guess I gotta do some chores and get money.

Tommy Corelli
  • Tommy Corelli

somethin else

• Members

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:11 AM

Turn in 5 WORKING games and you got yourself a free NCAA Football 06. I am in love with this game. Right now I put myself at linebacker and I am on purdue. Its kinda stupid to have the scholarship offers because you can walk-on to just about anywhere.

Larcen
  • Larcen

konichiwa, bitches

• The Precinct

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:57 PM

yeah, this is the best so far. and its nice that the cpu knows how to run too.

my only beef is with the control shake up. i really like the new controls on offense, but on d, im always f*cking up because im used to old skool controls.

guess i cant have it both ways.

BTW, its so nice to have my zingers caught.

woodprior383
  • woodprior383

• Members

Posted 15 July 2005 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (Slick Willy @ Jul 13 2005, 00:50)
anuj you can easily change back to the fight songs via audio options.

I'm glad that this game plays a lot like madden, but with that comes all the bullsh*t that madden does. Like a would-be safety turned into a 99 yard touchdown pass to win the game... right.

Ever heard of Ed Reed?

And yea the EA Trax in this game or the worst i have ever heard. I much prefer the fight songs. I do howver like that the players have been slimmed down to shot their physical immaturity(sp?) compared to NFL players as opposed to last year when they all looked like Pro Wrestlers.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:48 AM

I won the heisman in RFTH, and broke some WR records... Plus, I hate the injuries, they showed a guy sprain his back, and he is holding his f*ckin' arm... lol

Slick Willy
  • Slick Willy

Grandpa

• Members

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:52 AM

Yeah its definately a great game, I love the presitation.

And if this has been in past versions I'm gonna feel very stupid, but I never knew that there was an option to randomly assign names to all of the players in the game instead of just having their position/number.

D Jones
  • D Jones

smoked out

• Members

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:53 AM

Take it off the Junior Varisty level tounge.gif . I play on All-American with 10 Min quarters and won my first game on RFTH 47-20 and I'm the hurricanes. Pretty sweet, but haven' witnessed a game injury yet.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (D Jones @ Jul 15 2005, 00:53)
Take it off the Junior Varisty level tounge.gif . I play on All-American with 10 Min quarters and won my first game on RFTH 47-20 and I'm the hurricanes. Pretty sweet, but haven' witnessed a game injury yet.

I play All-American level, average score is 43... You take it off Varsity

woodprior383
  • woodprior383

• Members

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (Slick Willy @ Jul 15 2005, 01:52)
Yeah its definately a great game, I love the presitation.

And if this has been in past versions I'm gonna feel very stupid, but I never knew that there was an option to randomly assign names to all of the players in the game instead of just having their position/number.

How do you do that? I hate having every player in the game known by numbers.

Slick Willy
  • Slick Willy

Grandpa

• Members

Posted 15 July 2005 - 04:54 PM

Umm, you should double check, but I was in the rosters area in dynasty mode. I think the option was called auto-name rosters.

Btw, I play on All-American with just 4 minute quarters. Which is fun because I'm not always guaranteed a win, just like real football. If you have long-as-hell- quarters then u just have more time to blow your opponent out, which isn't the point. Also I've played with the AI settings a bit.

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:32 AM

I'm loving the game as well, although it's going to be a bitch to win the Heisman at linebacker, especially in All-American mode. I can get a few tackles and a few sacks per game, but I think I'm going to have to move to Varsity and alter the AI a bit to make it so I at least have a chance for the Heisman.

I'm loving the more balanced gameplay. Passing is now possible, and getting the Heisman at WR would be no sweat. I love the new offense controls, and I'm pretty used to the defense controls now.

Haven't even touched Dynasty yet though. smile.gif

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

QUOTE (Slick Willy @ Jul 15 2005, 10:54)
Umm, you should double check, but I was in the rosters area in dynasty mode. I think the option was called auto-name rosters.

Its also in just the plan options mode not just in Dynasty....

Weird thing is I have a QB named Brock in RFTH year 2(didnt do the automatic name, and more real names on other teams) and the announcers said his name, I thought they couldn't use real names or is this someone special, lol?

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (GTA3Rockstar @ Jul 17 2005, 06:02)
Umm, you should double check, but I was in the rosters area in dynasty mode.  I think the option was called auto-name rosters.

Weird thing is I have a QB named Brock in RFTH year 2(didnt do the automatic name, and more real names on other teams) and the announcers said his name, I thought they couldn't use real names or is this someone special, lol?

Brock is a fake person. They give everyone fake names, and the announcers can say them. Plus you said it's year 2, how would the game know who the incoming freshman of next year are? turn.gif

Skins
  • Skins

Steal your face

• The Precinct

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:54 PM

I had to rent the game, since I had a coupon for a $1 rental and pretty much no money.

It's a good game though, and the Heisman thing is cool, though I eish you could do some of the Dynasty stuff during it.

My only gripe is the alawys sh*tty EA Trax. Except for The Clash and De La Soul, it's sh*t.

D Jones
  • D Jones

smoked out

• Members

Posted 18 July 2005 - 04:39 AM

I beat the hell out of Clemson 97-10 on All-American level.

Someone give me pointer on what I should put the Sliders on.

@GTA: Make a familiar last name (i.e Jones) and they say them. Pretty cool, haven't you noticed that in the other past 5 NCAA games?

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 18 July 2005 - 06:00 AM Edited by anuj, 18 July 2005 - 06:20 AM.

Concerning the name thing:

1. As most know, the NCAA athletes aren't allowed to have their name in the game. I'd assume this is how March Madness operates aswell.

2. The game has TONS of names recorded (all the names of current players, aswell as some more generic ones) so that after year one of your dynasty, new players will have names and announcers will be able to pronounce them. Of course, they still haven't added Srivastava. mad.gif

3. The Auto-Name thing would be leet beyond belief if EA provided a *real* roster update or something to that effect. Otherwise Matt Leinert becomes Shawn Right and Brad Smith becomes Leslie Brock. confused.gif

I just had the f*cking leetest game ever. Heisman Level, standard sliders. Rose Bowl for the National Championship in 2006.

The game starts on an average note. Florida State is blitzing HEAVILY, on nearly every down. And me, being a dumbass, keeps calling deep outs and counters. So finally, on 3rd and 18 from my own 20, I call a HB screen. Once again, FSU brings the house. I mean, 9 people moved into the box, safetys coming after my ass, the HOUSE. But of course, this is the best time to screen. I get the ball out to the HB, and there is NOTHING but green. 76 yards later, he's finally dragged down from behind by their corner. Quick ISO to the back and it's 7-0.

FSU responds by fumbling the kickoff. Mizzou recovers, has the ball on the USC 36. So what do I do? Of course, I throw a pick. Their linebacker nearly takes it the distance, but he's dragged down by an LINEMAN, of all people. Defense holds, however. Three and out at the goalline, and FSU kicks a fieldgoal.

7-3.

Mizzou starts building a lead on screens and draws. At the end of the first half, it's Mizzou 21, FSU 3.

Then it gets wacky. FSU gets a spark somehow, and scores thrice quickly in the third. Now its FSU 24, Mizzou 21.

Fourth quarter. I'm down three. FSU is bearing down for another score, but my Impact FS manages to strip their QB from behind to start a small rally. We drive down the field, and get an easy field goal after an offensive stall.

24-all.

The same FS who stripped the ball earlier fields a punt and takes it 54 yards for a score. At this point, I'm yelling like Joe Swanson in Family Guy. Neighbors are asking me wtf my problem is. Deciding that No Guts = No Glory, I go for two. It still doesn't look like the FB made it, but the virtual refs say I crossed the plane.

32-24.

FSU doesn't like that. They immediately drive down the field. They're pulling off circus catches and breaking 4-5 tackles A PLAY. It's amazing. It's like the computer is trying to anally ram me. FSU scores on a bullsh*t TD "catch" where the receiver was about 4 yards OB. They go for two. PHAILURE.

32-30.

They attempt the onside kick, and for the first time in 2 YEARS I fail to recover an onside. Mainly because it bounces off a guy on my Hands team and ends up in USC hands. Goddamnit.

1:20 left. FSU hits a BOMB to their HB and he takes it to the house. 37-32, FSU.

I take the kickoff, and return it to the 50. Thank God for impact players and their uncanny ability to stand in one place for 10 seconds and not get tackled.

PA Read. Favorite play of mine. FSU has stopped blitzing so frequently, so I call it. I figure my QB will have enough time to chuck it downfield.

Oh ho, t'was true. They bring both their safetys down. I'm not sure why they would do that, but it left an Impact WR in single coverage with a 5'2 punk. I could hit this pass with my eyes closed.

XP is good, 40-37, Mizzou.

FSU gets teh ball with a good 40 seconds left. They, however, get greedy and go deep on first. The WR quits on the play when the ball is overthrown, and the FS (playing deep zone) gets an easy pick.

That was the first game where I actually doubted I was going to win, though. wow.gif

D Jones
  • D Jones

smoked out

• Members

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:00 AM

Wow, thats simply the greatest PBP game I've ever read.

How the f*ck did you beat FSU with Mizzou? Mizzou has Brad Smith and I believe there decent RB left last year, wtf. I couldn't beat FSU with OU sad.gif .

Also, if your name is in a game (as in a athletes name) the game (i.e EA) has to pay that player for using there name in the game.

1.Imagine paying thousands of college players for there name being in a game.
2.NCAA doesn't allow it.

Knightmare
  • Knightmare

man tongues

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 July 2005 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (D Jones @ Jul 17 2005, 22:39)
I beat the hell out of Clemson 97-10 on All-American level.

Someone give me pointer on what I should put the Sliders on.

@GTA: Make a familiar last name (i.e Jones) and they say them. Pretty cool, haven't you noticed that in the other past 5 NCAA games?

Why not just move up to Heisman? wink.gif

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 19 July 2005 - 07:21 AM

QUOTE (Knightmare @ Jul 17 2005, 06:11)
QUOTE (GTA3Rockstar @ Jul 17 2005, 06:02)
Umm, you should double check, but I was in the rosters area in dynasty mode.  I think the option was called auto-name rosters.

Brock is a fake person. They give everyone fake names, and the announcers can say them. Plus you said it's year 2, how would the game know who the incoming freshman of next year are? turn.gif

No, he is a Junior...

@DJ - I only got to play the last ones with my friends, cause I never bought them... lol I only buy Madden

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users