[REL|Alpha] GTA Map Viewer

94 replies to this topic
Mech-Gamer
  • Mech-Gamer

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 12 August 2005 - 04:56 PM

Hey ...

I downloaded the mapviewer , then I made a games.cfg with these directorys under each other:

C:\Program\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas

I made 4 of the same just in-case.

I then saved as games.cfg and loaded the mapviewer up. I then pressed F1 and nothing came up .. Then F2 still nothing.

What am I doing wrong ?

MoeRonimoe
  • MoeRonimoe

I write the songs that make the young girls cry

• Members

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:03 PM

Maybe its missing a \
so its must be: C:\Program\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\

colgate.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 12 August 2005 - 07:49 PM

The viewer works with and without trailing backslash, that's not the problem. Either your path is wrong, or it can't load your map because of a broken file or something. Get DebugView and start it before you load the map. If the path exists and the game is recognized correctly, the first two lines should be
Supported: GTA: San Andreas (PC)
Loading Map Files...

followed by the list of files that are loaded before the map is drawn. If the path does not exist you won't get any error message, otherwise it tells you
Unsupported: Unknown Game Type

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

I have a custom member title. I call it "Solid Snake"

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:08 PM

Also, try just using one entry. Steve probably wouldve mentioned this if it would help, but I know that I've only added on line as a path and f1 worked fine for me wink.gif

Looking forward to trying the new release Steve! You have done so much for this network!

buBbakuba
  • buBbakuba

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 August 2005 - 12:11 PM

when i switch to interior mode in Mapviewer a2, i see only yellow arrows...

user posted image

what is wrong ?

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:00 PM

There's no interior there. You only see the marker, as he is also shown in the 'exterior' mode.
Try higher. I found some interiors to be high up above the map. If you don't know what I'm talking about, scroll through this topic. There's a screenshot of LC with the coordinates shown. That'll help you.

buBbakuba
  • buBbakuba

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 13 August 2005 - 02:46 PM

thx i found it.... maybe steve shoud create auto-teleport from yellow arrow to correct interior..

sorry for my english biggrin.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (buBbakuba @ Aug 13 2005, 16:46)
maybe steve shoud create auto-teleport from yellow arrow to correct interior..

I had that implemented already, but it only worked for absolute markers (like at the dam), not those that teleport you to shared locations based on the name. Needs more enex research first.

Dhernsol
  • Dhernsol

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (buBbakuba @ Aug 13 2005, 14:46)
sorry for my english biggrin.gif

np. hey but how can i get it to work with the ps2 version?!?

thanks in advance.

suicidal.gif

Basti
  • Basti

Killerhamster

• Members

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Dhernsol @ Aug 15 2005, 23:25)
hey but how can i get it to work with the ps2 version?!?

Copy the models and data folders (i'm not sure if these folders are enough, if it doesn't work, take the whole disk) onto your harddrive, e.g. to "E:\Grand Theft Auto San Andreas". Download the map viewer and unzip it. Now create "games.cfg" and write in the first line the game direction, "E:\Grand Theft Auto San Andreas". Start the map viewer and press F1.
Should work wink.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:37 AM

I don't think you'll get it working with the PS2 version. I broke it somewhen while adding stuff for the PC version, for me the viewer crashes after loading the map files.

But if you still want to try, either copy your disc content to a harddrive - root, data and models folder are enough, you don't need any audio stuff - or point it directly to your dvd drive, but that'll be very slow (streaming isn't optimized yet).

ggm_SpYder
  • ggm_SpYder

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:54 PM

I have coppied the complete DVD to the HD but it does not help.
The crash happens just after "Loading Collision Files...":
Error
Runtime error 203 at 00404e87

And the Window title of GTA Map Viewer always shows this:
GTA Map Viewer 0.5 ALPHA 2 [1 FPS] [IDE: 0/14325, IPL: 0/49077, Streaming:30/19845]

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:51 PM

Yep, that's what I mentioned, will try to fix it for the next release. I didn't care about the PS2 version anymore as soon as it was released for PC, so I didn't notice it was broken.

ialbert
  • ialbert

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:00 AM

Hey Steve. Absolutely love the map viewer. It makes me want to create a big aerial map of San Andreas. Could I humbly request one feature? An orthographic projection mode? In other words, a non-perspective mode. I don't know what you wrote the viewer in, but I know OpenGL allows that, probably D3D too. Failing that, how about a FOV control so I can zoom in from real far away? The ability to type in coordinates to jump to would be nice, and I see it's been requested already, so consider this a second vote for that feature. Thanks! Keep up the great work.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:40 PM

Yep, a FOV control is already planned for the next version, and it'll also allow to get orthographic projection (like what Delfi's update of the MooMapper does).

Jumping to coordinates won't be implemented until there is a HUD, and that could still take a while. Don't forget you can store ten camera positions, so you can easily go back to your favorite camera positions.

DiCanio
  • DiCanio

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 22 August 2005 - 08:10 PM

one of the must-have tools

Is is possible to have a re-load button for a specific IPL file?
Like, if you are working on a Mod and running changes are
being implimented? Normally you need to close down Map
Viewer then restart to see every llittle change.
Maybe it's not possible but it would be a very handy feature.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:22 PM

Nope, sorry. Maybe later when there's a HUD and a console, so you can actually type which ipl to reload. Also, the current implementation of the object manager doesn't allow reloading single ipl files, but it will be possible in the future (I've lots of improvements planned).

But you don't have to restart the whole program, just pressing the load button again will reload the map, and the camera will stay at the same position.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 23 August 2005 - 01:59 AM

New version:

[ Download ]

Press the mult/div buttons on the num pad to change the POV. With a POV of almost zero (for orthographic projection) you need to be very far away, so I had to disable the draw distance multiplier limitation.
Also, you can now switch off texture rendering, to take a look at the hot prelighting, especially in night mode (from 8 pm to 6am).
And another requested feature, you can take screenshots by pressing F12, they'll be saved in the map viewer directory.

Oh, and I didn't manage to repair PS2 model loading, so I disabled it completely. Might be fixed in a later version.

QUOTE (version history)
Version 0.5 Alpha 3 (23.08.05)
- take screenshots with F12
- night vertex colors (from 8pm to 6am)
- user definable FOV
- no texture mode (press T)
- unlimited draw distance multiplier
- SA PS2 map loading disabled

Agret
  • Agret

So they have the internet on computers now

• Members

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:00 AM

Cool, good work on the new version monocle.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:26 AM

And, it's getting even better:

[ Download ]

Still no console, but I brought you something better: a LUA scripting interface!!1! xmas.gif Not many commands yet, but enough to do some amazing things already. This package contains 2 sample scripts: an automatic radar texture creator, and a camera flight along SA's train tracks. Read the readme and the scripting.txt for more information about LUA, the commands and the sample scripts. Note: I'm not going to answer general questions about the language, it's all documented! Check the links in that file.

And now go scripting and post some nice scripts. smile.gif

QUOTE (History)
Version 0.5 Alpha 4 (25.08.05)
- improved idle behavior (no rendering after focus loss, and mouse release)
- ability to run the viewer without window frame for better screenshots
- changed screenshot bitmap bpp from 32 to 24, since there's no alpha channel
- ability to disable SA's enex markers
- LUA scripting interface, only 8 commands yet
- 2 sample scripts: radar.lua and flight.lua
- various other fixes

Quadropheniac90
  • Quadropheniac90

Confused Clown

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:58 AM Edited by teun.steenbekkers, 25 August 2005 - 10:42 AM.

Note: I'm not going to answer general questions about the language, it's all documented! Check the links in that file.

Sorry if this is a general question: Will the Mapviewer also create radar files for Vice City, and what does it create exactly then? A 3d radar? Mc-Kay (leader of our mod) has some trouble making a radar for the mod, so... Thanks for helping! smile.gif

Great feature Steve!

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:21 AM

how come it doesnt load my stripped sa game, I used your map cleaner?

mickarrow
  • mickarrow

---

• Members

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:39 AM

Great work Steve. I'm going to try that train-script right now smile.gif .
Keep it up.

DiCanio
  • DiCanio

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:39 AM

cheers for the updates smile.gif

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 25 August 2005 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (teun.steenbekkers @ Aug 25 2005, 09:58)
Sorry if this is a general question: Will the Mapviewer also create radar files for Vice City, and what does it create exactly then? A 3d radar? Mc-Kay (leader of our mod) has some trouble making a radar for the mod, so... Thanks for helping! smile.gif

Yea, you can also use it for VC, you just have to change the map width and and number of radar pieces accordingly. It will create a top-down 3D radar, rendered by the viewer. If you want an old-style radar, you could still use this to create the map in your image editor, to get an exact map.

@dertyjerzian: What do you mean with it doesn't load it? It refuses the game, or you don't see anything? Maybe that's why it's stripped and nothing is there? tounge.gif

dertyjerzian
  • dertyjerzian

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:09 PM

Well, something is there. I mean, it's small lol. Very. But it doesnt seem to load anything up in map viewer. Unless it's just that fast tht the loading isnt visible to me. Is there a setting in (i should look I know tounge.gif ) the settings.cfg to set a starting point for the viewer? to start at 0,0,0 (that's where my stuff is at) would be ideal for my current testing zones (using your map cleaned version).

Hey steve, if you get a chance, can you swing by recruits and requests? I really need a script that will allow all extras work besides missions, pickups, and parked cars. srry, off topic. I should hit back space, but I'm desperate bro. confused.gif hehe I tried just removing the missions string besides 0 and 1 (initial one and two) and lowering the mission count to 2, crashola.

EDIT: alternative to a start point, do my saved places work for all maps? I'm thinking a saved camera view from F1 isnt going to go to the same place for F2?

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (dertyjerzian @ Aug 25 2005, 17:09)
Well, something is there. I mean, it's small lol. Very. But it doesnt seem to load anything up in map viewer. Unless it's just that fast tht the loading isnt visible to me. Is there a setting in (i should look I know tounge.gif ) the settings.cfg to set a starting point for the viewer? to start at 0,0,0 (that's where my stuff is at) would be ideal for my current testing zones (using your map cleaned version).

In Map Viewer you start at (0, -2000, 100), so you'd be very far away from your map. To find it, either fly there manually (checking the coordinates), or use the scripting thingy to put you there. Could simply use this:
CODE
SetCamera(1, 0, 0, 0)

And yes, you can use all your saved camera positions for the other maps as well. It'll put you at the same coordinates, but not necessarily the same location (if the map is totally different).

ialbert
  • ialbert

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:15 PM

Hey, Steve. Ian, the map dude. I was looking into mapping GTA3 but noticed the elevated rail doesn't seem to come up right. The track segments are misplaced and at wrong angles, like an earthquake struck. It comes up fine in the game itself, and I haven't modified the data files at all. Any idea what might be causing that? My apologies if the bug's been reported before.

steve-m
  • steve-m

• Feroci

Posted 05 October 2005 - 06:44 PM

Not reported, but mentioned in the readme since day 1 ("known issues" section). I probably got some quaternion math wrong, will definitely fix that, but not now since I'm too busy with other projects atm. Also, I had several big things planned for the next release, so that'll still take some time.

ialbert
  • ialbert

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

Ahhh, sorry about that. If only my momma'd taught me how to read. I look forward to the next update, whenever you find some time to work on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users