Photo

All wheels different

5 replies to this topic
Majestic
  • Majestic

dirty commie

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:29 PM

So, everyone knows that cars have wheels in the dff. However, theres only one wheel and its limiting. Hopefully this post can explain how to do any wheels.

normal hierarchy:

CODE
wheel_rf_dummy
  wheel
wheel_lf_dummy
wheel_lr_dummy
wheel_rr_dummy

all 4 wheels different hierarchy:
CODE
wheel_rf_dummy
  wheel
  lol_1st_wheel
wheel_lf_dummy
  2nd_wheel
wheel_lr_dummy
  wee_3rd_wheel
wheel_rr_dummy
  4th_wheel_hax

The trick is to make your wheel object infintely small - like a triangle, and then scale it down till all 3 points have same location.
Then the wheel becomes "invisible" and you can just parent your REAL wheels to the wheel dummies. You can use any object names you like for your REAL wheels

in game:
user posted image
i be rollin' on moneey, fo' real, gangsta styleeee.

Diesel
  • Diesel

Getaway Driver

• Feroci

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:57 PM

Rad. SA vehicle files are so streamlined now, the only improvements would be storing texures in the DFFs and maybe somehow the handling data too (but that's just crazytalk).

I wonder if there are any other wierd effects we could get by piggybacking dummies in this way?

wiseblood
  • wiseblood

BERSERKER

• Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:05 PM Edited by wiseblood, 03 July 2005 - 11:15 PM.

great info majestic, and thanks for the lw plugin...
edit/ would i be able to make the belt drive on my motorcycle spin by adding objects with this method?

Majestic
  • Majestic

dirty commie

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (wiseblood @ Jul 3 2005, 19:05)
edit/ would i be able to make the belt drive on my motorcycle spin by adding objects with this method?

I dunno what a "belt drive" is, but i think you can make anything spin now. In GTA3 the wheel dummies were forced to be all at same Y-axis value... In SA thats no longer the case.

tommygun1
  • tommygun1

The Old Don

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:50 AM

Belt drive is similar to the chain on a bicycle and some motorcycles but its a much smoother ride. Man I'd like to see that.

ThAtSgOtTaHuRt
  • ThAtSgOtTaHuRt

T_G_H

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:07 AM

are you guys thinking something like tank treads, that would be sweet!

fuckindumass
  • fuckindumass

Pissing the night away

• Members

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (Majestic @ Jul 4 2005, 02:28)
QUOTE (wiseblood @ Jul 3 2005, 19:05)

I dunno what a "belt drive" is, but i think you can make anything spin now. In GTA3 the wheel dummies were forced to be all at same Y-axis value... In SA thats no longer the case.

Yes, and spin it would. On an axis. So those who are hoping for belts and tracks, that ain't gonna happen.

Anyway, I am very glad to hear about this trick. I wonder if wheel sizing will apply to the user wheels, or just their parent objects, maybe all sizing will have to be done before exporting?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users