• This topic is locked This topic is locked
383 replies to this topic
dogboydan
  • dogboydan

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:10 PM

R.I.P Odie

Odie was a great inspiration for me and got me into modding gta3. From there I went onto other games but i'll never forget the help he gave me. I used his road pack to create my first ever mod. From my correspondence with him in the forums he seemed like a kind soul and it's a shame to see him go.

JKidd
  • JKidd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:14 PM

All My condolances too his family sad.gif

Xploder
  • Xploder

Arden City Map Modeller

• Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:40 PM

I felt like sharing the lyrics of the song I mentioned earlier and I am sure most of you will agree it fits most people's views about this terrible event

When the siren's flash is gone
And we're left to carry on
All the memories are too few

When the pastor's music plays
And that casket rolls away
I could live again if you
Just stay alive for me

Please stay now, you left me here alone - it's the end of the line
Please stay I can't make it on my own - it's the end of the line
Make it on my own
It's the end of the line

Now that you are dead and gone
And I'm left to carry on
I could never smile cause you
Won't stay alive for me

Finally,
Your final resting day
Is without me
I weep
And think of brighter days
What about me?

You can't take back, the one mistake
That still lives on after life it takes

In that one day, that changed our lives
And bitter memories are left behind

I made the first 2 lines of the last verse small because it portrays a suicide which I feel was not the way he passed away
I will say this again, Rest In Peace Heiko

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe @ Jul 4 2005, 07:52)
I have no idea what to say.

I feel like making a memorial, and a museum, and a TC, and writing movies and songs and publishing books. What could ever be so big as this man?

I intend to prepare a press release. I'll have steve run it by his family before it ever sees the light of day, if it does at all, but I would like to see the gaming media at large acknowledge this man.

Yes, we need to spread the message of the wonders up Odie. It would make him proud to be known all around and be in a magazine. Hell, you got Myriad in PC Gamer!

Natedogg.
  • Natedogg.

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:02 AM

Wow, how such bad things can happen unexpectedly, RIP he will be remembered as one of the best GTA modders, farewell.

ANGELUS
  • ANGELUS

Crappy Modder

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:33 AM

i haven't posted here or been active in the community for over 2 years, but i felt that i needed to say something. while i didn't know him personally odie was always an inspiration, to all of us i think. he will be missed.

Cray
  • Cray

MTA Developer

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:42 AM

I am unfamiliar with his work and was unfortunate not to have spoken to him, but it is always a great loss when someone who has contributed so much to a community parts ways with this world. Good luck on your next adventure, whatever it may be. My dearest condolences to the family and friends left behind.

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe
  • sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe

Ronald Reagan

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:51 AM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GTA-Series Modding Community Rocked by Death of Renowned Mapper

Email: [email protected]
URL: http://www.gtaforums...pic=201303&st=0

On July 2, 2005 the general modding community at gtaforums.com was informed of the death of Heiko Feege, known online as Odie. The first mapper to create custom map modifications for both Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City, the community has been struck dumb by his sudden loss.

The 3D GTA games were from the get-go an inhospitable landscape for independent modding. With the otherwise cooperative Rockstar Games tied from supporting the community by their use of proprietary Renderware technology, modders were left to fend for themselves among complex file formats and strange engine quirks. Yet surprisingly, a healthy modding community was born, due largely to the raw spirit of the series� fans. And no one embodied that spirit like Heiko Feege.

The GTA modding community was shocked to learn of the untimely passing of this widely known modder. He was 37. The family requested that the details of his death not be revealed to the public, but allowed a long-time personal friend to divulge the news in the modding area of GTAForums.com. Modders and mod fans around the board took the opportunity to display their grief, and propose several tributes, from modification projects as large as a total conversion in his honor to requesting that Rockstar include some reference to him in the next GTA sequel. The family has offered their assistance in recovering whatever of his files might allow the community to assemble such a tribute, and continue Feege�s work.

�Odie,� as he was known to his online colleagues, was instrumental in discovering the nature of the GTA3 engine�s map design system, helping to explain the format of files that placed items in the GTA3 world. He was the first to create a map area constructed of custom-modeled objects with his �Stunt Park,� a new island for GTA 3 featuring a half-pipe, loop-de-loop, rollercoaster, and other miscellaneous jumps. He mirrored this pioneering event when he was once again the first to place a custom map object in Vice City; a �beach park� contained within a giant sandcastle.

From there, Feege�s talents continued to touch the community. As both a member of the Myriad Islands total conversion, and founder of his own GTA-Berlin conversion project, he displayed not only technical intuitiveness, but a skill for urban architecture that was both realistic, eye-catching, and offered a unique opportunity for exploration, where the smallest alleyway could lead to another carefully crafted area, or a signature reference to the Garfield character that gave him his handle.

His contributions even touched the area of character design. Frustrated by the long delay in decoding the new character file format introduced in Vice City, but unfamiliar with the previously done work on model file format, he spurred the community to revisit the previously all but abandoned area of the engine by offering a cash reward of his own money to the first coder who could develop a tool to successfully put a new player model into the game. Within weeks the prize was claimed.

Yet for all his contributions to the technical and artistic fields of modding, he is most remembered by his comrades in the community, who once upon a time dropped a timid private message in his inbox, asking how they could get started on their own project, or what they needed to do to make their first models work. In an internet community that has at times seen its share of strife, Heiko was always slow to anger, and far from the scene of petty quarrels. His upbeat demeanor and sense of humor reflected his sense of being privileged to be doing what he was doing, and always pleased in who he was doing it with. The game industry of tomorrow will owe many of its brightest stars to the inspiration Heiko gave to those around him.

In his forum signature, Heiko wrote of himself: "I think about GTA3: 'I was made for modding you baby....'" Few modders have shown the passion that Heiko displayed during his modding career. His friends and colleagues in the modding circle keep him in their thoughts and prayers, and remember that passion in all of Heiko�s work.

###

I have 30 ish publications to send this to.

Outback
  • Outback

GTA:LC Team

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:51 AM

I'll be sure to keep Odie's family in my prayers.

Modder
  • Modder

AMD Processor

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:19 AM

He never can truly be replaced by anyone. He will always live in our hearts and our soul. R.I.P ODIE

BORN: 30/12/67
DIED: 07/06/2005

I'm Gonna miss those good ol' mods

Sipher
  • Sipher

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:27 AM

R.I.P I

dont know odie, but that name is familiar, thanks for all the great mods you have made, farewell gta's best friend!

sad... so sad... jus payin my respects sad.gif

QJimbo
  • QJimbo

With DMA/R* from the beginning :)

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:44 AM

Rest in peace Odie sad.gif I loved his hightway mod for GTA3. This is so sad sad.gif

Neo-K 182
  • Neo-K 182

La Famiglia Di Corleone

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:12 AM

rest in peace man. the modding community will never forget you.

silver007
  • silver007

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:18 AM

What made me decide to start modding GTA, was when i saw mods like his Highway in GTA3

it is truely sad news that hes gone,
R.I.P. indeed...

chris82
  • chris82

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:22 AM

Odie...I cannot believe you are gone. You are a person who created my favorite map mod for GTA3, and an even better one for Vice City. I have never personally talked to Odie, but have all of his great mods for GTA3 and Vice City. I hope his spirit will live on forever, so I will try to create a mirror of his website incase the actual site ever goes down. Odie left us too early. 50 years too early. I will miss Odie like a brother. Goodnight, Odie. Rest well wherever you may be. cryani.gif

EmSixTeen
  • EmSixTeen

yer ma's got athlete's foot!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Ireland

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:26 AM

sAdIsTiCmAcHiNe/Casey, I read that and it hit me once more. Providing it's alright with anybody it needs to be okay with, good luck on having it published to the various places. He deserves the mention, at least.

Once again, RIP Odie.

Ransom1
  • Ransom1

map makin opcodin noob

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:41 AM

Well its been a long while since I been posting here as a noob coder looking for help. I haven't modded for a very long time but this place was like a second home for me, with MTA community where I dwell being first. From there I heard of this and read through all these 9 pages. It was very good not to see any upsetting remarks made, as is the usual case with almost any scenario on the internet.

Its strange and a shame I never caught anything from him while I was on these forums. If I was into trying out already-made mods more I'm sure I would have noticed. Looks like he has great respect and I respect people who are talented in making mods for this game. Rest assured, its not easy, I figured that out quickly.

I figured I should actually post here to show some respect. I've never seen such a wide range of people from the GTA community. I see many people from many different areas and I'm sure theres much more yet to come.

RIP, good luck and best wishes to the bereaved family.

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:51 AM

I've made a small tag, as you can see in my sig, here. My intention is for it not to be worn as a fad, but just to let others know that they're welcome to wear it to show their respect and gratitude. Please don't wear it in vain.

<3D

Barbaneez
  • Barbaneez

Boss

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:37 AM

I'm obviousley not in the modding community, but this is rather shocking. I was always aware of Odie's work, and remember him placing those little "Odies" from the Garfield cartoon in some of his works. He was a hell of a good modder and he was considerably young - why did he die so soon in life?

It's creepy when people pass away and their online messages are still there and stuff. It's just plain weird, it really is.

If Odie was a religious person, then I hope in his utopia he has some way of reading our replies. And if he can, well, you will be missed Odie and it would have been interesting to see what you would have continued to do in the months after the release of SA for PC. Unfortunately we will never know.

To any of you that knew him, even if it was only online - my sympathy to you. Really.
I hope that his widow and his son find sympathy in the idea that maybe Heiko is in a better place now. May they find comfort though the words and thoughts from the other friends and families mourning the death of him.

There will never another Odie.
Things like this are only proof to show that the unexpecting is always in the midst of happening and that if you meet someone; whether it be online or in real life - take every damn opportunity you're given to know them and value each minute of time you have with them.

God bless Odie.

Stretchnutter
  • Stretchnutter

Also known as Racer_S

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:46 AM

Rest In Peace ODIE!

You were the best.

Everyone pour some liquor for ODIE!!!

cryani.gif

Quickshot14
  • Quickshot14

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:49 AM

This is very sad indeed. And a very unfourntantle loss indeed. Its time like this when the modding community respond regardless the game being modded, our diffrence in modding or opinons and more. As a member of the freelancer modding community last year we had a major death in the modding scene and the outpouring was tremendous. Not just because of the modding or contribution to the community they made but for who they were and will always be in our hearts. It's times like these as modders, gamers and people that we relize and rember thou at the core we don't really do this for the love of the game, or just for fun, but to be a community talk with freinds with we may never have met. To laugh, debate, sometimes yell wink.gif and even morn together when someone leaves us wether just in a 'don't have the time to continue' sense or as in a tratgic mortal passing sense. I am proud to be a modder and a gamer and apart of any modding community because I know that no matter how well or bad I mod someone will be gracious and kind enough to give tips, help out, or just give some support.

I've only recently really techincaly 'joined' the GTA modding scene, but I been a part of modding probley as long as I have been a part of gaming (witch is a really long time wink.gif ) and I as i'm sure many of you have seen the best and worst modding communitys can be. Odie's modding work will never be forgotton, not only was it brillantly done, wonderfully fun to look at and play with, I loved odie and illspirt for that highway mod in gta3 myself, but it is who he was outside of his hobby. I did not know odie personaly I only knew his work, but as a fellow modder and gamer through his work and his deminer in his work we get to know a part of him. Firstly that he enjoyed modding gta, he was enthusied yet serious about what he did, he was open to others feedback and what they thought, but more over he showed us what you can do. Steve you have been bombarded with many things since the release of SA, not only the death of a dear freind and fellow modder but working on various tools and so on. As a part of the community I thank you for your hard work in a diffcult time, and more over I belive your honoring the memory of your freind and fellow modder.

As a fellow modder, gamer, and person I give my greatest condolences to you, Odie's freinds and faimly espiscaly his son and wife. At times like this we are reminded that we need to cersish and enjoy our life, because it really is short. My prayers and respect go out to everyone effected, I know this community we will never forget odie, everytime I drive a highway in gta I cerintly will not forget. Even if i can't spell a darn thing *heh* I will continue to do my best in my mods, not just for fun, or because I want people to like my work. But so I can go, 'hey look at what I changed, near uh!' and enjoy the community and enjoy what people make. Modding isn't just about making a game better, or funner, or what we think it should be. Modding is about creating, exploring, and sharing. And have a ball doing it, even if we get fusterated and that one little problem that keeps crashing the game *hehe* Anywayz I fear i'm rambling so I'll end with this. If theres anyone who I consider an extended family or freinds, it would be the modding community. With the good comes the bad but that is life, and no matter how diffrent we all are, here we are still the same. And that I belive is really cool.

-James "Quickshot14" Greenwood

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:27 AM

Yeah as STM has done, I've also got a little sig thing just out of respect for him so if anyone else wants to wear it its fine with me just know its not some fad for anyone to wear just because eveyone else is.

Hurricane5
  • Hurricane5

Abgoosht Forever

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:31 AM

Man... I don't know where to start in this type of deal...

Man, way, way back in the Early 3d GTA days I knew Odie, greatly, as I was very much into modding back in the early GTA3 days.

This is very, very, very shocking to find out... I'm kind of at a loss for words, I'll just let this be.

R.I.P. Odie.
Outstanding Modder, Amazing Friend.

outlawcry7
  • outlawcry7

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:29 AM

i didnt know him. but it seems like he was someone who liked to contribute to others.

R.I.P.

Mafia Righthand_Man
  • Mafia Righthand_Man

Shuffle off.

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:58 AM

In the time that I did attempt modding, I remember the huge contributions made by Odie for GTA3. I remember him doing some great stuff, like a complete highway that went through all of Liberty City. It was really great. This is some sad news today. cryani.gif RIP

NathanHenry
  • NathanHenry

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:09 AM

Odie was a really cool modder and his LC highway mod was really sweet. He was a great modder and I will miss him. If you guys want to do something to remember him we should make a mod that installs a big Odie statue in LC, VC, and SA and a sign by the statue that says
"R.I.P Odie. In rememberence of Odie, you were a great modder and we will never forget you Odie" so that when we play our GTA games we will always remember him and what he did for GTA.

Rest in peace Odie, we will never forget you.

micster
  • micster

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:18 AM

oh god, i use his vc stunt park.

Could someone make a tribute on gta3 or vc?

gtasanandreasmaster
  • gtasanandreasmaster

SAN ANDREAS !!!!!!!!!!&a

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:37 AM

R-I-P Odie

I shall remember this by putting it in my sig

R-I-P Odie

Dale Massey
  • Dale Massey

Darkel

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:41 AM

Oh dear.
Its bad when anyone dies, but when someone who has touched so many people with his work passes unexpectadly, it is really devestating. My condolences go out to his loved ones. He was so great to the community, we shoul;d really do something for him and his family.
RIP

SVTcobra04
  • SVTcobra04

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 06:49 AM

never knew him but have used some of his mods I beleive.prayers and respect go out to him and the wife and kid h left behind RIP cryani.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users