• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic
Mastertech
  • Mastertech

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:15 AM

Popular Technology.net

As a PC Gamer you expect to upgrade, you expect that at some point your hardware will not run the latest games acceptably. Battlefield 2 does not even give you that option. It attempts to make all non DirectX 9 compatible video cards obsolete. Which means all GeForce 4 and older video cards will not run Battlefield 2. You cannot even start up the menu. Neither Electronic Arts nor the game's developer DICE have any plans to fix this. Even though the GeForce 4 line of video cards has enough horsepower to render the game it is not compatible with Pixel Shader 1.4. Emulation to Pixel Shader 1.3 would easily make the game playable on these cards but redundant texture checks make this difficult to implement.

The response from Electronic Arts on the Issue was:

"We've been talking to Benjamin Smith on the development team about this. There are no plans to implement GeForce 4 support in a patch. The engine was not built to run acceptably (performance or appearance-wise) on the GeForce 4 series of cards."

Then why does it run on slower cards such as the ATi Radeon 8500? The performance of this card is no better then the GeForce 4 line except for the inclusion of Pixel Shader 1.4 support. (read more)

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:46 PM

Glad I got a radeon.

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:27 AM

I know, i found out the hard way.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

Doens't surprise me, that's what you get when a company uses old tech to make slighty newer tech ie. GeForce4 being a slightly updated GF2.

ed209
  • ed209

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:19 AM

Thank nvidia for that. Then give them a real thanks for the 6600GT.

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Jul 2 2005, 10:14)
Doens't surprise me, that's what you get when a company uses old tech to make slighty newer tech ie. GeForce4 being a slightly updated GF2.

What is the difference anyway? I have GF2 and i know a guy with GF4, and i see absolutely no difference.

Slick Willy
  • Slick Willy

Grandpa

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:16 PM

Word.

I know this a BIG controversy and all, but it can easily be discussed in the already created BF2 topic which is conveniently located on the first page of gaming chat. How about that for a shocker.

licked

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users