12 replies to this topic
kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:10 PM

user posted image

QUOTE (Supercars.net)
Lelystad, 29th June 2005 - Lap records around Germany's Nordschleife Nürburgring are highly contested and debated. Recently, a very upgraded Donkervoort D8, laden with a turbocharger and huge rear wing, made history by beating the lap record for a production car. This record was quite controversial at the time, as Donkervoort hadn't released a road car like their ring car - until now.

First previewed at the AutoRAI held in February, the D8 270 RS is a road going copy of the Nürburgring record setter. It will be built in a limited edition of 25 cars, and so far most have been spoken for.

Netherlands-based Donkervoort create supercars that could be described as a modern Lotus 7s, a car first built in the 1950s that became popular due to its race-bred minimalism, lightweight aluminum body and incredible power-to-weight ratio. However, the D8 270 RS takes the Lotus 7 theme one step further by introducing a turbocharged Audi 1.8T 20V that produces 270 horsepower. Combined with an extremely light, 'no frills' chassis, the D8 270 RS produces over 400 bhp per tonne!

No wonder this Donkervoort beat the Porsche Carrera GT time of 7:32 by 15 fifteen seconds. Now the Sport Auto Nurrburgring record is in the hands of Joop Donkervoort with a time of 7:18.01. He says this feat was possible due to "the special configuration of the suspension and the enormously stiff chassis of the 270 RS".

The D8 270 RS distiguishes itself from the other D8 models with a modified nose with larger ventilation openings and an extra radiator at the side of the car. These modifications were necessary to provide the car with sufficient cooling both on the racetrack and on public roads.

Donkervoort say the 270 RS is capable of 0 to 100 kph in less than 4 seconds and can stop from 100 km to a standstill in just 2.4. Is this the fastest production car ever made? It just might be. While the 270 doesn't beat an Ultima GTR in a straight line, it has proven its 'king of the ring' status.

I dont know if many of you are familiar with the 12.5 mile Nurbergring test track or not, but just to remind you it is a track built out of old roads making it one of the toughest road cources in the world. Could you imagine driving down one of the backroads near your house at speeds in excess of 120mi/h or 200km/h, I dont think so.

Suction Testicle Man
  • Suction Testicle Man

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

• None

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:59 PM

I want one. cry.gif
<3D

Waddy
  • Waddy

Gods foster son.

• None

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:03 PM

WOW, to beat the GT it must have been going some.
Id love to have a drive round there, watched Top Gear last year and it looks amazing, Im sure you can just turn up and have a go aswell in any car, for like 20Euro's.

Thats a great car though, Who will beat it next?

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

I drink and I smash because i love

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

that sounds like a "oh we beat the record! lets produce the car so we can keep it" moment

"Joop Donkervoort" that has got to be the best name ever!

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

a real car, at least!!

Kamahl
  • Kamahl

Rat

• Members

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:01 PM

damn, i need one of those

Majestic
  • Majestic

dirty commie

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:27 PM Edited by Majestic, 30 June 2005 - 11:04 PM.

I really would like to know what kind of tires they used.
user posted image
crazy, lol
a front AND rear spoiler

edit:
found another piccy

user posted image
those tires look like anything but road tires
the little wings above the fenders are kinda cute, too.

buut ugliness aside, 1.8G blink.gif

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:41 AM

The tires look like they are a bare minimum for street use or a racing tire with a rain ready tread design?

Anyways, I think I could top that in GT4 with a car with a Power/Weight ratio the same as it. We will see...I will post my findings later.

God I love Caterham 7 based supercars. But the thought of getting hit by any normal car make me think of a person kicking a kickball. the caterham would go flying like the lightweight car it is and the other car would just continue on driving.

Touge
  • Touge

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:42 AM

I'd say that car's far from being a full-on "production" car. The Skyline GT-R once held the lap record at Nurburgring, but that wasn't exactly straight off the showroom floor.

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (Touge @ Jun 30 2005, 19:42)
I'd say that car's far from being a full-on "production" car. The Skyline GT-R once held the lap record at Nurburgring, but that wasn't exactly straight off the showroom floor.

No Lotus 7 is off the showroom floor. You either buy the kit or buy it from a small kit car building company that implaments their own technology on to the car that they build. Now you could go off and buy one of these cars from the company for a pretty penny.

An american company that does this is Factory 5 Racing.

My grandmothers ex-husband does somehting like this in Flordia. he builds kit cars, only to a higher standard than most kit cars are intended. I never met him, but his grand daughter, nikki drives one up every summer in one.

Majestic
  • Majestic

dirty commie

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:13 AM

Tires are Dunlop D01J
http://tyre.dunlop.c...e/lineup/sport/
Second one

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Majestic @ Jul 1 2005, 03:13)
Tires are Dunlop D01J
http://tyre.dunlop.c...e/lineup/sport/
Second one

This is insanity. I want that tires on my Donkervoort (i don't have).

Kevin, no. A Donkervoort is more than just a Seven Replica. A part a similar shape (as firstly it was intended to be one) there's nothing common between a Donk and a 7 replica.

Kotsudaira
  • Kotsudaira

The Wanderer

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:46 PM

I want a f*cking Donkervoort, it looks nice. And obviously runs okay..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users