Photo

[My Idea] Bus Operation Mod

11 replies to this topic
cmbtrans
  • cmbtrans

CMB Transit Senior Chief Executive Officer

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:00 PM

Hi, I want to start a bus company in San Andreas but before it is possible I will have to the following things:

1) Build some buses (can be converted from buses created for Midtown Madness 2)
2) Building bus stops and bus terminals in San Andreas
3) Creating a bus mod

I've no problems with modelling buses and bus stops but I'll need help to make it playable in SA, but that's
out of this topic and I'll talk about this later.

The thing I'm concerning is the creating of the bus mod, the most difficult part of my project. Personally I
know nothing about programming and I also find it difficult to learn programming. But anyway I'll tell you
my ideas first and let you guys to judge the possibilities and stuffs.

My bus mod would/should include:
1) Bus Routes, as paths for the AI Bus Traffic to travel on.
2) Bus Routes, as a mission similar to the taxi mission, but with fixed routes.
3) Bus ticket vending machine
4) Allow CJ to ride on the AI Bus Traffic if possible
5) The bus can carry approx. 70 people for single decker, 124 for double decker, 140 for articulated buses
and 53 for coaches.
6) (Any other ideas?)

Any suggestion, ideas, comments and helps are more than appreciated. Thanks!

Quickshot14
  • Quickshot14

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:46 PM

Intresting you should mention something like this. After my SA Highway mod I was planning on looking into a Park & Ride bus mod that would be looking into adding 2 mission types for you to do. Nice to know someone else is intrested into somehting like this. smile.gif

Quickshot14
  • Quickshot14

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:48 PM

Intresting you should mention something like this. After my SA Highway mod I was planning on looking into a Park & Ride bus mod that would be looking into adding 2 mission types for you to do. Nice to know someone else is intrested into somehting like this. smile.gif

DeeZire
  • DeeZire

Modder

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:59 PM

I was working on something similar and am about 75% done smile.gif

Basically, Ive copied the code from the Taxi missions and enabled and assigned the new scripts to a bus instead. Theres a bus stop model already in the game (looks the same as the one from Vice City) so if you place that on the maps at various points around the city you have your bus stops. If you can place Park Bench objects inside the bus stops, then peds will automatically go and sit in the bus shelters as they already recognise the park bench as somewhere to sit wink.gif The bus stops are also used as the 'location' objectives for the bus driver missions.

The only obstacle Im now facing for completion is to get the objects placed on the games maps, so until a decent map editor comes out that can show me object names and co-ords then Im stuck because trying to understand the binary IPL files in near impossible for me sad.gif

Im also planning a Tram Driver mission and a Garbage Collector misson too, both along similar lines - I like to have plenty of distractions to keep me busy in San Andreas biggrin.gif

Quickshot14
  • Quickshot14

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:55 AM

First my applogies for the dbl post I was having browser issues and so hit refresh too soon i guess. Second it's great to see someone else is already working on it, as i'm a complete newb when it comes to GTA mission scripting that was going to be quite a thing for me, i'm glad also to see my basic idea of using the taxi mission for a base also worked. I hear ya on the map editor i'm waiting for that too.

Anyway heres a basic idea of the two missions I was planning for my park and ride bus mod, the first mission is simler to what you made but would work a little diffrent, my basic idea was having the user follow a route depending on witch major city there in. Basicly using waypoints like the races do, inbetween the waypoints would be a bus stop, now if theres riders on the bus theres a possiblity one may want to get off so the user would get like a signal or sometihing then some sort of arrow like green or something simler would appear above/near the stop to show where the rider wants to get off.

Riders waiting to get on works simaler the only diffrence being maybe a blue arrow over the stop instead. Then a random or ceritnan amount of riders would get off or on on each stop while on the route.

The second mission was more directed specificly at my mod. Where as the first bus missions would be basicly local routes, like in certian cities. The second would be more regional or throughout the map. Basicly it would work the same except there would be no specific route just a specific stop, like one of the park and rides placed through out the map. Where you would drop off and pick up passangers. The neat thing about this type of mission is since theres no specfic route the user can get to the p&r anyway he/she sees fit. But with maybe a ceritna amount of time or somehting.

That is my basic idea for the missions I was planning. As I said beofre once my highway mod is complete I will begin working on this mod i've even started doing some basic ideas of where some of the park and rides will be and such. It would be great for us to ethier combine forces or maybe our work and put it together. Hell it may make my combined highway and p&r mod even better (adding express lanes and bus ramps for p&r's wink.gif it's defintly great to know i'm not the only one who likes doing this kind of thing and probley not the only one who was running around in vc with the interstate mod pretneding to be a crazy bus driver wink.gif *hehe*

DeeZire
  • DeeZire

Modder

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:49 AM

Great stuff, I really like the second mission idea, thats more along what I was thinking smile.gif

Fingers crossed for the map editor then, somebody already made a map viewer but its not released yet - as soon as one is available I can test it and Ill post all the code here.

cmbtrans
  • cmbtrans

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:47 AM Edited by cmbtrans, 28 June 2005 - 03:15 PM.

Thanks! I'm also glad to see people interested in this and are working on it already~

Here are some of my other ideas:

1) Bus Stops: They can be acted like the waypoint of bus routes. Pedestrians and CJ can only get on and off the bus at bus
stops. Facilities including Ticket Vending Machines, interactive information pannel (a fake one), shelters and some chairs.

2) Ticket Vending Machine: CJ can only get onto the bus if he has a ticket. A ticket would cost 1 GBP/$2 USD and available
in popular bus stops and bus terminals. After he gets onto the bus, the bus will carry him around the city and he can get off
at the next bus stop when he presses the bell (same button as getting on or off a car).

3) Bus Terminals: Where the mission starts and ends. The buses can be obtained inside this area and not considered to be
steeling.

4) Management: To regulate the bus services in San Andreas, I'd start up a department called the "Transport for San
Andreas" which works in a similar way to the Transport for London. People can "steal" a bus and do a bus mission randomly
without a company but to be operated online they have to registered to a virtual bus company. Only registered bus companies
can operate bus services "legally" (ie. online, but also offline) and CMB Transit would be the first registered company. The
routes will be designed by TFSA to simplyfy the game (and avoiding the need of a route editor) but they can be updated and
suggested by the companies. Each company will be able to operate every routes as the routes are allocated evenly in a rota,
to eliminate the need for "bidding" routes which makes the game simpler, make the bus companies more concentrated on
their own operation and also to avoid overgrowing or undergrowing of certain "stronger" or "weaker" companies. Buses can
be designed by the companies or provided by TFSA, but some routes would only be allowed to use a certain types of buses
due to road restrictions, popularity etc. By the way, bus companies are allowed to exchange the routes they are operating.

5) Bus companies: Bus companies is a way to personalize bus services and makes the game more interesting (without being
complicated). Bus companies will have their own names, liveries, designs of seats and stuffs. Other operation will rather be
like a Virtual Airline company in Microsoft Flight Simulator, in which the drivers are required to fill in Trip Reports (Bus
alteritive of PIREP), and there are ranks or even human resources (driving tips, tricks, etc.) as well. Screenshot and Video
competitions, Magazines, events and regular advertising are very welcomed. *Buses should have doors on the right side not
on the left side as the cars in SA drive on the right side.*

That's all the rubbish I'm talking. Comments are welcomed!

camsta
  • camsta

GTA Maniac

• Members

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:40 AM

Sounds good, hope you find someone and if you've started working, keep up the work biggrin.gif I like the sound of this mod =]

Sixdust
  • Sixdust

April 2nd, V2

• Members

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:18 PM

There are bus shelters already located in Las Venturus. Look around for them.

cmbtrans
  • cmbtrans

• Members

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:25 AM

QUOTE (Sixdust @ Jul 6 2005, 15:18)
There are bus shelters already located in Las Venturus. Look around for them.

But I want to design my own stops and shelters, it will be better than using the original and also easier to modify. I may also put some updated advertisement/posters on the bus shelters as well, to make them more "realistic".

duffbeer_66
  • duffbeer_66

Sniping yo mamma and smoking your money

• Members

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:28 AM

Since there are already bus shelters in Las Venturas, that would be a good place to start setting up your network. I'm curious though how the SF trams can be used to our advantage here. You can't stop them or ride them confused.gif Aside from that I think this mod will add some great replay value to an already terrific game. Best of luck to everyone rah.gif

camsta
  • camsta

GTA Maniac

• Members

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:36 PM

Yeah, what is with the trams? I ride on top of them killing people, its fun, try it =] So maybe if you could get the Bus network aswell as a tram network, and maybe even a train network, that would be awsome biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users