Photo

American Car designers

76 replies to this topic
Pump Bumper
  • Pump Bumper

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:21 AM

well, i guess if you really have the cash, then why the hell not get a german car. but in the world i live in, i'd probably be better off getting 3 american cars over the course of 25 years instead of getting a mercedes for a long-ass time.

Touge
  • Touge

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:29 AM

Yeah I can see where you're coming from. I buy used Japanese cars because they're what I can afford. Oh, that and the fact that used, bang-for-buck japanese cars are THE SH*T!

I mean, take the GTS-t skyline for example, 215 HP in a stylish, awesome-handling, rear-wheel-drive, easily moddable, 2 door or 4-door with solid brakes and a strong drivetrain. And all for around 3-6k!!!! biggrin.gif

lol now to sign up for student allowance as well as get a job sorted so I can afford to insure and run one tounge.gif

Mercedes-Benz
  • Mercedes-Benz

NYC

• Members

Posted 01 July 2005 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE (Touge @ Jul 1 2005, 00:15)
Exactly man, you DO get what you pay for. An American car will do the same job, but for how long? In the end, a German car will usually be far superior in almost every aspect, and that is reflected in the cost.

A German car, or even a Japanese car for that matter, will pretty much always have a better-built interior too. They use higher-quality materials and they are generally better built. Go sit in an E-Class, feel the dashboard etc, now go sit in an American luxury car like say a Chrysler 300C and make sure you have a bucket handy.

German manufacturers also tend to implement beter safety features, suspension packages, chassis construction methods etc. and they are more refined. There is just no comparison.

Hate to break it to you, but the 300C is based on a S-Class. So when you say you need a bucket when you sit in a 300C, its like saying you need a bucket when you sit in a S-Class. Everything is Mercedes in that car. Go sit and drive one (I have driven a 300C) and then correct your statement.

I own two Mercedes, and they are pleasure owning. German cars break. Theres so much electronic sh*t on those cars its not funny. I spilt coffee in my 01 E320 and it burned all electrical wires. A f*cking nightmare. $4,500 it cost to repair. I can take a hose and hose the sh*t out of the interior of a Taurus and there would be no problems.

GM makes some of the best cars on in the world. There 3400 and 3800's are some of the best engines in the world.
Id bet every dime I have that a 200,000 mile Cutlass Ciera would have less problems and run better then a 200,000 Mercedes.

I dont know where you people get your facts from. But American cars arent garbage, and you should do research or some sh*t.

Touge
  • Touge

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:46 AM

I was only referring to the interior of a merc as opposed to a 300C. They used these hard-ass plastics for the dashboard etc. When you tapped it or something it was hard and made alot of noise. It was like the sorta sh*t you'd see on a tacklebox or something.

Are you sure it's based on an S-Class? I know the Crossfire is based on an SLK but the 300C as far as i've seen doesn't even share similar styling to an S-Class which you'd think it would when it's based on the same platform. It also uses a different driveline too confused.gif I'm not saying you're wrong as I don't have any hard facts to back this up but i'm still little sceptical.

The thing about electrical faults in German cars I won't argue against, but you probably shouldn't spill coffee on electrical wires tounge.gif my comments were in regard to the build quality, as in quality of the materials and how well they were put together. I use to read car reviews about build quality of German cars etc and wonder what all the fuss was about. Then I sat in one. I couldn't believe how well put together they were. The dashboard, door trims etc were just so solid, and the carpets were soft enough to wear around your crotch man I couldn't get over it.

Of course there'd be no problems hosing out a Taurus, there's no technology tounge.gif

Your comments on GM making some of the best cars/engines in the world though make me cringe. Those engine's may be good in their own right, and may serve their purpose well when it comes to thrashing Lumina's across the desert, but in reality they're still just heavy, inefficient, flawed engine designs and there are better platforms out there.

Hell, US manufacturers have even admitted that their standards are still a few years behind those set by Honda and Toyota. Actually, now that I think about it, Aren't the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord the two biggest-selling cars in the States?

Mercedes-Benz
  • Mercedes-Benz

NYC

• Members

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:44 PM

German cars are built the best. The guy at Mercedes told me you cant eat or drink in these cars though. I drove a LeSabre the other day, and after driving my two German cars for a long time, it was like terrible. Im so used to now slowing down hard around turns, but in this LeSabre, I really thought I was going to roll over.

I thought it was based on a S-Class, sorry. Its on E.

There's plenty of Benz, mostly of the E-Class variety, in these large machines. The aluminum five-link rear suspension on all 300s is based on the E-Class design, but the 300 has a wider track and bigger wheels and tires, with a steel cradle in place of the E's aluminum one. The 300's 120-inch wheelbase is two inches longer than the E-Class's and just one inch shy of the Mercedes S-Class's.

MotorTrend

I agree with what you said about GM's engines. There are alot of better platforms out there.

Also, the Camry and the Accord are the best selling cars in the states. The Altima though, just passed Camry in 3 year depreciation. The Altima is worth more money then a 3 year Camry.

I really wouldn't buy anything other then a Mercedes, they just need to fix if you spill coffee your whole car is gonna fry and cost $4,500 to fix. nervous.gif

Wheelman
  • Wheelman

n00b patrol

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 04:53 PM

QUOTE (Mercedes-Benz @ Jul 1 2005, 02:10)
Hate to break it to you, but the 300C is based on a S-Class. So when you say you need a bucket when you sit in a 300C, its like saying you need a bucket when you sit in a S-Class. Everything is Mercedes in that car. Go sit and drive one (I have driven a 300C) and then correct your statement.

Err, except that the interior is the one aspect of the 300C that has nothing to do with Mercedes. The platform is shared, not the dash design and plastics.

Perhaps also worth mentioning that if you get a nice, shiny new 300C, it's actually using the platform of the previous generation E-class. Yeah, the one that's approaching ten years old now...

Mercedes-Benz
  • Mercedes-Benz

NYC

• Members

Posted 02 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

Can you post where you got your information from? I just want to see where it says it uses the 210 E platform.

Also, have you sat in a 300C? Alot of interior parts come straight off a Mercedes.

MKeveny
  • MKeveny

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 02:04 AM

what is this the autralian makes vs the american makes? I cant even name an australian car besides the ford divisions. Is monaro australian? sounds italian, along with germany is where the best cars are made.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (MKeveny @ Jul 4 2005, 11:34)
what is this the autralian makes vs the american makes? I cant even name an australian car besides the ford divisions. Is monaro australian? sounds italian, along with germany is where the best cars are made.

Yes the Monaro is Australian, the name is italian sounding and Monaro's are known to be the vehicles of choose for the typical Aussie Wog. I dunno if the name was italian inspired or what. The thing is most new Aussie Holden cars are infact products of overseas's makers. The family sedan the Commodore is based on the Opel Omega base with some obvious changes to suit our needs. Most engines are infact made by GM, some even from Nissan so its a mixed bag. Most of the real Aussie cars come from the 1950 to 1970 periods and even then some were still using parts form other overseas companies.

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 04 July 2005 - 07:22 AM

I think that discussion is coming slowly to an end. I don't like modern american cars, i don't like pickups. I don't like old Muscle. But SUVs are great (give me a Denali), and Chevrolet/Olds sedans of seventies are a joy of simplicity: give me a Carpice 74, or a 75 Olds....

Martini Racing
  • Martini Racing

Procrastinator King.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Touge @ Jul 1 2005, 00:15)
A German car will usually be far superior in almost every aspect, and that is reflected in the cost.

A German car, or even a Japanese car for that matter, will pretty much always have a better-built interior too. They use higher-quality materials and they are generally better built. Go sit in an E-Class, feel the dashboard etc, now go sit in an American luxury car like say a Chrysler 300C and make sure you have a bucket handy.

German manufacturers also tend to implement beter safety features, suspension packages, chassis construction methods etc. and they are more refined. There is just no comparison.

Dude, If something costs more, that doesn't mean it's better. And, with all your "technology", there's more stuff to break, like Mercedes was saying. Don't get me wrong, if I had the money, I'd take a German car. But it would be an older one, Like the old M5 or an 850 CI. Cars from back when they weren't trying to overengineer every little thing.
And have you driven a 300C? Don't. It feels like they took the platform off of a USED E series. The one I was test driving always veered sharply to the left.
300C vs. Crap = 300c<Crap.

Mercedes-Benz
  • Mercedes-Benz

NYC

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:52 PM

Must of been a screwed up 300C then. I drove one in Florida about 2 weeks ago from Miami to Daytona. I was going 80-90 the whole time (3 hour trip) and it was fine. Handled, drove, and rode like a brand new Benz.

turbosax05
  • turbosax05

Simply Me

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:26 PM

well it sounds like the alignment could b off on that C, cuz my moms van veers to the right alot, but its workable by havin the whell turned to the left around 1100

2 pics of the van
user posted image

user posted image

Mercedes-Benz
  • Mercedes-Benz

NYC

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Nice Econoline. My friend stole a cargo Econoline and named it Walter. He had it for like 3 months before they towed it (you need a pass to live where I live and it dident have one).

Wheelman
  • Wheelman

n00b patrol

• Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Mercedes-Benz @ Jul 2 2005, 20:38)
Can you post where you got your information from? I just want to see where it says it uses the 210 E platform.
Nothing specific - but it's what I've read in the majority of UK road tests of the 300C. The previous generation of E-class was the first with the bug-eyed two pairs of headlamps - and it's not quite a platform revered for it's handling. Stability, yes. Handling and dynamics, no.

Also, have you sat in a 300C? Alot of interior parts come straight off a Mercedes.

Nope, there aren't any round my way. But I'm guessing they're the bits that aren't so crap. wink.gif

Although even Mercedes interior quality is falling well behind Audi's these days... confused.gif

Mercedes-Benz
  • Mercedes-Benz

NYC

• Members

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:35 AM

I got the bug eyed E. Its really nice. I like it alot.

The 300 was really nice though. I get defensive. Its the first good American car (my opinion) any American car company has built since 1972. If they had them in the U.K. Id tell you to go to a Chrysler dealership and drive one. You would be shocked.

I do agree with you on the interior quality. Ive sat and drove a few new Benz's, and there wood looks like plastic. confused.gif

Martini Racing
  • Martini Racing

Procrastinator King.

• BUSTED!

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (Mercedes-Benz @ Jul 4 2005, 16:52)
Must of been a screwed up 300C then. I drove one in Florida about 2 weeks ago from Miami to Daytona. I was going 80-90 the whole time (3 hour trip) and it was fine. Handled, drove, and rode like a brand new Benz.

I was convinced that someone at the dealership took a 'joyride' in it. My city is full of gangbangers, and that's, out here at least, a gangbangers car. Two words of proof: DUB Edition.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users