Photo

American Car designers

76 replies to this topic
Chunky Lee Chong
  • Chunky Lee Chong

#f4d1f6

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

Once we were on the highway from Houston to San Antonio when we were faced with a lot of traffic before a construction zone. We were on a two lane highway and where the construction workers were they were only letting cars pass on one lane.

Well, our family and many, many other cars decided to drive off of the highway onto the median and pass all the construction garbage by means of the access road and then back onto the highway using the onramp.

It was fun seeing my father do that.

There was also this one time when I was five back in McAllen. My uncle was taking me to Toys'R'Us at the mall. Well, we were driving through the parking lot in front of Macy's right next to Toys'R'Us when my uncle realized that there was a little divider between the two parking lots, so instead of driving to the main road, exiting and entering the Toys'R'Us parking lot, we just drove over the divider in his early 90's Ranger.

Woo.

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

I drink and I smash because i love

• BUSTED!

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (Chunky Lee Chong @ Jun 26 2005, 14:12)

There was also this one time when I was five back in McAllen. My uncle was taking me to Toys'R'Us at the mall. Well, we were driving through the parking lot in front of Macy's right next to Toys'R'Us when my uncle realized that there was a little divider between the two parking lots, so instead of driving to the main road, exiting and entering the Toys'R'Us parking lot, we just drove over the divider in his early 90's Ranger.

Woo.

exactly. and what would happen if you tried this with a car?

this:

user posted image

Pump Bumper
  • Pump Bumper

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:22 AM

i like the monte's....but then again i like the new chargers so take my opinion for what it's worth wink.gif

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:20 AM

@Sip - It goes both ways, both vehicles have their places and strengths. I just hate seeing Ms Soccer Mom crusing to the shops in a huge arse SUV.

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Jun 27 2005, 05:20)
@Sip - It goes both ways, both vehicles have their places and strengths. I just hate seeing Ms Soccer Mom crusing to the shops in a huge arse SUV.

Important statement: americans have a totally different culture. They always drove V8 engines, for them, a mid size car is 4.75m long. And they don't fear driving big ass SUVs, the car which is selling better is the F150 truck (i never understood the pickup culture, i'm going to make a topic about it i think), , whereas in Europe it's Opel Astra? Renault Megane? We pay for the insurance, gas etc a lot more, you don't even know how funny it was to see the face of my insurance agent when i told him about the 740i.

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (GTA3Freak-2001 @ Jun 26 2005, 22:20)

its not our fault. not like we can soccer mom's out of these things.

and pavlov: i can explain the truck thing to you.

most of us truck owners use are trucks for either a. hauling toys. quads, snow mobiles, motorcycles etc. b hauling stuff you cant fit in a car. we dont like relying on the lumberyard to deliver our lumber, and we dont rely on the furniture store to deliver our couches. we buy it, we take it home, if something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame but ourselves. my truck i used for work. cleaning out a shop, and later cleaning out a yard. within the last month it has had half a ton of decorative rock, a 35" tv, 410L of diesel(on 2 different occasions) and an entire truck box full of garbage collected when cleaning the basement here. i look at you who's families only have cars and wonder "how the f*ck can they get anything done? what happens if they have something they cant fit in their car". i like trucks because you get close to the same as a car with the added ability to carry large items. i like these "gas guzzling engines" because i enjoy having something happen when you mash the pedal. with my mom's car if you are going 50 and you step on the gas, you get a little bit of hesitation and a little bit of acceleration, thats it because it has to use 90% of its power to maintain the speed limit. with my truck, you mash the pedal going 50, it gears down and takes off. you get the acceleration, you get the sound, and if you are on gravel, you get the dust. i like the ability to haul almost anything at any time, and not have to worry about leaving a trunk open to do it. i like the ability to be able to just sit down onto the seat of a truck and move around like it is a regular chair, not climb down into a car, and adjust myself so my knees arent touching the dash and my head isnt touching the roof. i like the simplicity of being able to service any aspect of my vehicle in my own driveway without needing any special tools other than a 200 dollar code reader. i like being able to climb under my truck to change the oil, and not even needing lifts. i like knowing i can hit a power pole, and drive away from it while the pole is leaning, and being able to make the vehicle street legal with a jack, a sledge hammer, and some duct tape. i like being able to hit something i didnt see on the highway, and not have to worry about what peice of plastic it tore off. i like knowing that if i get rear ended by a car, my vehicle is going to drive away with nothing more than a bent hitch. i like knowing if i hit the ditch, i wont be doing any bodywork at all. i have been dragging on a bit, but i hope i got my point accross. you dont understand this pick-up culture. i dont understand the point of owning a car.

We pay for the insurance, gas etc a lot more, you don't even know how funny it was to see the face of my insurance agent when i told him about the 740i.

we pay for the gas too. i think 800 kilometers in a city for 80 bucks is decent for me. we pay for the insurance too. up until october, my insurance was $3800 a year for basic-required by law-coverage. up until october 1st, a 19 year old would not even be able to insure a bmw 740i nomater what the condition. you could be 20 years old, have had insurance on a regular vehicle with the company for 4 years, they would not let you insure that bmw just because they could. they based your insurance rate on your age, marital status, sex, ethnicity etc. everything but your driving record. being 19 rather than 20 raised it 350 bucks a year whereas a reckless driving ticket raised it 100 bucks a year. you know insurance companies have gotten out of hand when the lazy assed alberta government gets off their asses to correct it. because of the insurance reforms, basic coverage for myself would cost $1300 and that is based on 1 thing. my driving record. i can even afford full coverage at $2200 a year. everybody has to pay for insurance and gas, its a fact of life.

K_Speed
  • K_Speed

Breathe the Pressure

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

Australian and American designers both suck dick!

we here in europe laugh about those crappy designs and the technology, oh no wait, what technology? nothin at all. Just horse power no more....cmon thats the way it is.

Of course these older muscle cars are american culture and they were good cars, defenetly nice looking. But now its over, no more, americans cant keep up. all they do is put an 8 liter engine into a piece of plastic that shakes like a washing machine.

horrible just horrible. so yeah, australia and america both suck, no doubt.

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 12:32 PM

Wow, congratualtions you're an idiot. Australian, and american cars have technology and it's pretty much the same technolgy than the europeon cars (With the exception of brands like BMW, etc. I mean like GM Europe will have the same technology that GM US has)

P.S Don't mind my spelling, blame my friggin' cold.

Oh, and have you ever been to Australia or the US? Or have you been onto onto the websites of these car makers? No?

turbosax05
  • turbosax05

Simply Me

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Pavlov @ Jun 27 2005, 03:38)
Important statement: americans have a totally different culture. They always drove V8 engines, for them, a mid size car is 4.75m long.

my car isnt a V8 except for the 96 and up SHOs, and i doubt it is 4.75 meters long, and it is a midsize sedan.

user posted image

and this is the my old car i have driven it only comes with a I4

user posted image

do i think that a lot of americans drive cars with V8s, yes, i admit my mom's van has a V8 and now and then i drive it.

lySdEXiA
  • lySdEXiA

3rd Gear and a Ham Sandwich

• Feroci Racing

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (SIP_YEK_NOD @ Jun 27 2005, 17:45)
its not our fault. not like we can soccer mom's out of these things.

and pavlov: i can explain the truck thing to you.

most of us truck owners use are trucks for either a. hauling toys. quads, snow mobiles, motorcycles etc. b hauling stuff you cant fit in a car. we dont like relying on the lumberyard to deliver our lumber, and we dont rely on the furniture store to deliver our couches. we buy it, we take it home, if something goes wrong, there is nobody to blame but ourselves. my truck i used for work. cleaning out a shop, and later cleaning out a yard. within the last month it has had half a ton of decorative rock, a 35" tv, 410L of diesel(on 2 different occasions) and an entire truck box full of garbage collected when cleaning the basement here. i look at you who's families only have cars and wonder "how the f*ck can they get anything done? what happens if they have something they cant fit in their car". i like trucks because you get close to the same as a car with the added ability to carry large items. i like these "gas guzzling engines" because i enjoy having something happen when you mash the pedal. with my mom's car if you are going 50 and you step on the gas, you get a little bit of hesitation and a little bit of acceleration, thats it because it has to use 90% of its power to maintain the speed limit. with my truck, you mash the pedal going 50, it gears down and takes off. you get the acceleration, you get the sound, and if you are on gravel, you get the dust. i like the ability to haul almost anything at any time, and not have to worry about leaving a trunk open to do it. i like the ability to be able to just sit down onto the seat of a truck and move around like it is a regular chair, not climb down into a car, and adjust myself so my knees arent touching the dash and my head isnt touching the roof. i like the simplicity of being able to service any aspect of my vehicle in my own driveway without needing any special tools other than a 200 dollar code reader. i like being able to climb under my truck to change the oil, and not even needing lifts. i like knowing i can hit a power pole, and drive away from it while the pole is leaning, and being able to make the vehicle street legal with a jack, a sledge hammer, and some duct tape. i like being able to hit something i didnt see on the highway, and not have to worry about what peice of plastic it tore off. i like knowing that if i get rear ended by a car, my vehicle is going to drive away with nothing more than a bent hitch. i like knowing if i hit the ditch, i wont be doing any bodywork at all. i have been dragging on a bit, but i hope i got my point accross. you dont understand this pick-up culture. i dont understand the point of owning a car.

rofl, you were bagging out the aussie 'ute' before (i think it was you anyway). what makes you think you cant do all of that in a ute? see, you can. except the ute is more comfortable, goes faster and handles better than your stupid truck thing. ..<3

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:30 PM

more confortable? the f*ck? the ute is a glorified car. it has payload capacity of 830kg and a towing capacity of 1600kg. the ford f-150 as a payload capcity of 1370kg and a towing capacity if 4500kg, now you tell me the ute can do anything a truck can. maybe you should look a few facts, or even some reason or at the very least read the post you are quoting before making an ass of yourself.

turbosax05
  • turbosax05

Simply Me

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:48 PM Edited by turbosax05, 27 June 2005 - 08:56 PM.

my dads truck can out do the damn Ute, its a Dodge Dakota with a V6, not the big Fuel-sippin V8s (no offense Sip, but some truck V8s really suck the gas down)

This isnt his truck but it is close

user posted image

Richard Zurawski
  • Richard Zurawski

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:40 AM

Just for the record, most utes have a load capacity closer to around 1 tonne (being why they're marketed as one-tonners), but anyhow a ute by defenition is a pick-up truck with the bed and cab integrated into the one monocoque (SP?) shell as opposed to your cab chassis configurations. But how often do you carry a load of 1300kg or tow a 4.5 tonne Semi trailer truck anyway? Not very I would imagine.

I'd rather drive a ute than a truck anyday.

Pavlov
  • Pavlov

For your eyes only

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:54 AM

I did not know that, thank you Richard for sorting it out. I'm not into pickups of any sort, except perhaps the small sized nissans from the 80's.

K_Speed
  • K_Speed

Breathe the Pressure

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (Cran. @ Jun 27 2005, 12:32)
Wow, congratualtions you're an idiot. Australian, and american cars have technology and it's pretty much the same technolgy than the europeon cars (With the exception of brands like BMW, etc. I mean like GM Europe will have the same technology that GM US has)

P.S Don't mind my spelling, blame my friggin' cold.

Oh, and have you ever been to Australia or the US? Or have you been onto onto the websites of these car makers? No?

Yeah I lived in California for 3 years, half my family is amercan. Anyways do I have to go to a country to judge the cars? no. I can see the pics and specs and even the cars here, very uncommon though, cause theyre sh*t.

I swear man, do not ever, EVER compare american car technology with german car technology! dont ever.

yeah saleen great car.....if someone here wanted an american car its just because of the cult that they have, at least the older mustangs or cadillacs.

The only thing thats common here are the Chrysler Vans.

DAVEY007
  • DAVEY007

DAVEY007

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:34 PM

Hey man, dont ever, EVER, make fun of American trucks again. I have a 1999 Dodge-Ram 2500 V-10 Pickup and its awesome. I pull a 24 Foot Travel Trailer, and my truck has no problems. I step on the gas, the sheer sound of it is amazing. The big Cat-Backs rumbling under my truck as I run throught the back roads of the woods, as I fly past a Mercedes, or a Ferrai(SP). Oh, and I like the Monaro better than the GTO. I mean come on? Imagine that Monaro in the Car-Pickup Modle they make. That could be the next El-Camino! ~DAVEY007

tommygun1
  • tommygun1

The Old Don

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:36 AM

Some of those German cars are pretty hefty in the price department, especially for us guys overseas from all of you guys. Thats why we drive the cars we have here. Fact is you probably won't hear people in Australia complaining about their cars. I don't think I'll here Europeans complain about theirs. So why should we disown ours because you don't like them. Primarily, I like our designs. I consider Volvos, BMW's and Audi's plain and boring in design. The only ones I give any props to are the Mercedes and in some cases Audi.

We like big vehicles, loud V8's, and not paying an arm and a leg import tax. I have a 90 mustang GT with engine mods and Flowmasters. Like the truck drivers I hardly ever race somebody on the highway with it, but its good to know the power is there. Its a cultural difference. If you can't understand that then just don't worry about our cars. Don't drive em. But if you ever come to my town with one of those little cars you may never be able to leave. It's bog city down here people.

PS Yea the soccer moms get on my nerves a bit. I mean they pull out in front of you with the cell phones. Thats where the Flowmasters come in handy. Scare the hell out of em.

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:34 AM

QUOTE (DAVEY007 @ Jun 29 2005, 08:04)
magine that Monaro in the Car-Pickup Modle they make.  That could be the next El-Camino!  ~DAVEY007

What like this: tounge.gif

user posted image

Cran.
  • Cran.

910 reprisent

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:37 AM

Chevy were even considering a commodore ute for the next El Camino confused.gif

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:54 AM

They are considering a lot of Holden/Opel playforms for the possible Camaro, Chevelle, Monte Carlo, and El Camino.

The El Camino was a loved car/truck that was removed from the lineup because of the combinations of the late 80's and 90's FWD trend, the emmision regulations, the federal engine limitations due to emmision standards and gas problems, and crash safty problems.

tommygun1
  • tommygun1

The Old Don

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (kevin2006rhs @ Jun 29 2005, 04:54)
They are considering a lot of Holden/Opel playforms for the possible Camaro, Chevelle, Monte Carlo, and El Camino.

The El Camino was a loved car/truck that was removed from the lineup because of the combinations of the late 80's and 90's FWD trend, the emmision regulations, the federal engine limitations due to emmision standards and gas problems, and crash safty problems.

Yeah, freakin gas crisis killed most of my favorite cars. I will agree that not many of our new cars are near as nice as the muscle car 70's. Wan't the Ranchero the Ford version of the El Camino? I don't remember

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE (tommygun1 @ Jun 29 2005, 00:24)
QUOTE (kevin2006rhs @ Jun 29 2005, 04:54)

Yeah, freakin gas crisis killed most of my favorite cars. I will agree that not many of our new cars are near as nice as the muscle car 70's. Wan't the Ranchero the Ford version of the El Camino? I don't remember

Yup the Ranchero was the little car that started the El Camino. The ranchero was so successful that chevy had to go and make their own. SO chevy went and took the Chevelle Wagon platform, cut it off from the front seats back, and turned it into a little mini-truck.

holdenrulz
  • holdenrulz

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:52 AM

I have one point which I have heard and experienced myself
The American have mastered the Art of making huge cars with no room inside

When I went to the Melbourne International Motor Show I sat in a F-150 and the cabin was tiny, I barely made it in with the seat pushed all the way back. cry.gif
Oh and my Wagon pawns your "Truck's" it's got a Spacious interior and can carry a tonne (metric) of dry cement in the back and still handle well along with great acceleration tounge.gif
I think that the main reason People dislike huge american vehicle's is the fact that they are a waste of space, money and Fuel.
With petrol prices here in Australia at around $1.00(AUS)/litre and projected to rise to $1.20(AUS)/litre (note 1 litre is less than 1 gallon if you want to find out by how much look it up tounge.gif ) and you hear a American complain about $1(US)/Gallon.
In comparison you have it easy compared to the rest of the world with your Vehicles.

Each culture has it's own taste's in vehicles but even the American's should be able to laught at some of the design's they have produced. Hell even we Australian's have some (search for the "Washburn Zeta" OMG a wagon with no rear door made by a washing machine company wow.gif ) So go find some REALLY bad design's and bag those rather then try and bag a good well thought out design that sell's tounge.gif

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:56 AM Edited by kevin2006rhs, 29 June 2005 - 06:02 AM.

No. Us americans are paying $2.20 a gallon for gas.

Here.

One liter is .26 gallon.
$1 aud is $.76 usd.

I dont feel like doing math so do it yourself

holdenrulz
  • holdenrulz

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:15 AM Edited by holdenrulz, 29 June 2005 - 06:17 AM.

According to Google
1 US gallons = 3.7854118 liters
so
2.20/.76
=2.90 AUS

So for Just under 4 Litre's you are paying 2.90 AUS

Yesterdays Average Fuel Price in Melbourne was 105.9 cents/Litre
3.7854118*105.9
=400.9 cents/litre
Before Peak fuel price's
So for the same amount of fuel we are paying $1.10 more than you would

That's a bit of difference considering we are paying $11 more every 10 Litres

and that $1/gallon was from someone else a while ago some I really shouldn't have put it in there.
blush.gif

Touge
  • Touge

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:23 AM

To those who say a Commodore Ute is more comfortable than an american truck, go ride in either an F-150 or a Dodge Ram. there's heaps of them here now.

I reckon one of the worst American cars ever made was the H2 Hummer. It's farking HUUUGE and only seats like 4 people (or was that just the H1?) it guzzles gas like its going out of fashion and gets like 2 mpg, and the H2 is just a massive fashion statement that isn't really good for a hell of alot other than MAYBE towing something. It's an urban assault vehicle for rich soccer moms, gangstaz, and tryhards.

Someone mentioned paying heaps for German cars with import tax etc. Well, consider this, In the states, an M3 costs around 50k USD. atm that equates to about 75k New Zealand dollars, roughly. Here in New zealand though, the list price of an M3 is $143k. And that same thing applies to pretty much all cars that are available here and in the US. I couldn't believe the prices you guys pay for cars there, it's like half what we pay cryani.gif I saw a 2003 E55 AMG on ebay.com for like 70k USD Buy now. Here, you'd still be paying like 180k NZD for one of those and they were 230k new.

Fuel's getting pretty expensive too. It's like $1.35 per litre suicidal.gif

kevin2006rhs
  • kevin2006rhs

host of delete key

• The Connection

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:07 PM Edited by kevin2006rhs, 29 June 2005 - 01:09 PM.

The hummer H1 only seats 4. That is due to the fact that the gas tank is in the middle of the cab for military safty reasons. Besides it is the master of offroad, it isnt like I even see one once a week, so they arnt a car everyone drives. The H2 on the other hand is a 9mpg gas hog that is being taken off of the market due to sloping sales and bad milage.

{off-topic}Is Mercedes-Benz and BMW are to germany as Chevy and Ford are to America?

My dads friend T.C. has a few friends who came back from germany and they imported cars home. They say that MB's and BMW's are just small time hometown car companies that sell family cars, they arnt treated so mach as a luxury car as they are here in america.

Captain Keyes
  • Captain Keyes

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (kevin2006rhs @ Jun 29 2005, 08:07)
{off-topic}Is Mercedes-Benz and BMW are to germany as Chevy and Ford are to America?

My dads friend T.C. has a few friends who came back from germany and they imported cars home. They say that MB's and BMW's are just small time hometown car companies that sell family cars, they arnt treated so mach as a luxury car as they are here in america.

I've been wondering that too. When I went to Paris, a lot of the taxis were Mercedes E-classes and stuff like that, and in the states you can't afford one by delivering fares.

However I doubt Chevy and Ford are held in such a high regard in western Europe as we view European luxury cars here, but I don't live in Europe so I wouldn't know.

Pump Bumper
  • Pump Bumper

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:25 PM

all i know is i can buy an american mid-size sedan for 1/3 the price of a german sedan, go just as fast, have mostly the same features, and not look like some tool who sits in an office al day to make his payments. you get what you pay for in general, and german cars just tend to cost too friggin much.

Touge
  • Touge

Snitch

• Members

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (Pump Bumper @ Jun 29 2005, 19:25)
all i know is i can buy an american mid-size sedan for 1/3 the price of a german sedan, go just as fast, have mostly the same features, and not look like some tool who sits in an office al day to make his payments. you get what you pay for in general, and german cars just tend to cost too friggin much.

Exactly man, you DO get what you pay for. An American car will do the same job, but for how long? In the end, a German car will usually be far superior in almost every aspect, and that is reflected in the cost.

A German car, or even a Japanese car for that matter, will pretty much always have a better-built interior too. They use higher-quality materials and they are generally better built. Go sit in an E-Class, feel the dashboard etc, now go sit in an American luxury car like say a Chrysler 300C and make sure you have a bucket handy.

German manufacturers also tend to implement beter safety features, suspension packages, chassis construction methods etc. and they are more refined. There is just no comparison.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users