» «
Photo

PS2 Controller for PC Version Guide

118 replies to this topic
Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:17 PM Edited by Wolfmight, 24 March 2010 - 02:23 PM.

"PS2 Controller for the PC Version Guide"
===================================================================
SAAC 1.2 - San Andreas - PS2 Controller .ini files v1.02

UPDATES:
-March 24, 2010- Fixed dead SAAC custom ini urls (now hosted on depositfiles), Removed old less efficient JoyToKey method
-April 16 2009- Fixed dead URLs for SAAC and JoyToKey.
-June 29 2005- Minor SAAC .ini update - Changed vehicle alternate fire to L1, so whilst in the hydra you can aim with R1 and fire with L1. This helps compensate for the lack of a vehicle aim setting in SAAC.
-June 28 2005 - SAAC .ini update - Corrected the analog up/down control for the planes and helicopters.
-June 27 2005 - New Guide Addition: SAAC (San Andreas Advanced Control)
-June 21 2005 - added the bike's L1 bunnyhop.
-June 21 2005 - resolved the left analog stick problem...steering doesn't result in camera movement anymore! wink.gif

Using The SAAC Method
+ Supports the d-pad gang controls, pos/neg replies towards peds, and radio station switching.
+ Supports force feedback (ps2 controller feature)
+ Setup is quick and easy.
+ No in game configuration needed whatsoever! (saves at least 5 mins)
- "Start" opens the pause menu, but doesn't seem to close it.
- Hydras targeting button configuration is missing, so it's not correct in the game
- Some people claim to have camera issues at random
- 99.5% accurate ps2 controls

BEFORE YOU USE THIS GUIDE:
Make sure you have the right equipment:
I'm using a "PSX TO USB" Adapter, which also supports the PS2 controller. Basically, you want something that converts the controller's input connection to USB.
user posted image user posted image

"The SAAC Method" (Recommended)

Step 1,
Grab a copy of SAAC v1.2
Extract the program somewhere you would like to run it.

Download my custom ".ini" configuration files by clicking here , and extract them into your SAAC program directory.

Step 2, Run SAAC and select "USB Joystick" under device
Then select my "San Andreas PS2 Controls (Wolfmight)" under Presents.
Now run this software before running San Andreas each time and your controls should be just like the PS2 version.
user posted image

*TIP: If you are getting system beeps, you may try the following to turn them off:
# Start>Run type: Regedit.
# Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound
# On the left hand side of the screen find Beep on the list.
# Right click on it and select Modify
# Change the value equal to no

-Credit goes to "Oshi" for this tip. Closing trainers may help solve a beeping issue as well.

SystemOverload
  • SystemOverload

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 12:15 AM

Thanks! This is really useful! By the way, I have the same adapter that you have, were did you get yours? Sorry about all the questions, but have you tried Vice city with it? SA I can play because it lets you invert the analog sticks but in Vice City there is no option for that so the game is uncontrollable.

oshi
  • oshi

Never say die!

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:10 AM

Great tutorial. Works like a charm. My one sugegstion is that you turn off system beeps, or else (at least it happend to me) is taht every time you used the analog sticks it would beep. Very annoying. smile.gif

How to do so:

# Start>Run type: Regedit.
# Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Sound
# On the left hand side of the screen find Beep on the list.
# Right click on it and select Modify
# Change the value equal to no

Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:43 AM

That tip appears very useful, since my joytokey configuration file inputs 2-3 different keys at once for some of the buttons. I understand that some motherboards play a "beep" due to the input of multiple keys at once, but I can't figure out why it would do that for one of the analog sticks. I went ahead and updated the guide with your suggestion. wink.gif

Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:39 AM Edited by Wolfmight, 22 June 2005 - 03:46 AM.

I just fixed a MAJOR bug in the configuration for the left analog stick! You shouldn't get the random wacky camera effect whilst steering a car, bike, plane, helicopter, etc. I strongly recommend you redownload my updated .cfg file and re-extract it into your Joytokey program directory to overwrite the older version. You will notice a major improvement in steering...feels even closer to the ps2 version now! All we have left is the "+ pad" issue! Nice! biggrin.gif

oshi
  • oshi

Never say die!

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:58 AM

Another update, the system beep only happends if you're running the Pizzadox 27+ trainer, since you have to remap the keys and some of the keys used are the ones that the trainer uses, and the beeping is the sound of the trainer turning the cheat on and off. smile.gif

WayCool_JR!
  • WayCool_JR!

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:08 AM

Great stuff! Thank you.

Fatz
  • Fatz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:56 PM

I mapped my numpad keys to the d-pad using the POV hat option and I can change radio stations and respond to people with my dual shock controller. It will also walk CJ around if I hold it but just tapping it to talk/change stations works well.

WayCool_JR!
  • WayCool_JR!

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:32 AM

Fatz,
I tried doing what you said, but then it messed up my left analog stick controls... using the config / setup outlined above.

Any advice?

Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:17 PM

Hmm, when I use the POV options with the corresponding keys for leading the gangs or social replies, CJ still moves around and they don't work when I try to use them. I've tried the four on POV1's.

Another note, I did some research and found another San Andreas advanced configuration software! It's called SAAC v1.1, but the only problem is the PSX Pad Profile has incorrect controls! I'm working on correcting them and saving it to a ".ini" file that you can overwrite within the program directory. I'll update you guys on my .ini file, because this program would save a hell of a lot more time! It automatically overwrites all the controls in San Andreas without any configuration within the game at all.

This is but a next step, hopefully someone will create a San Andreas mod, which automatically configures the game's controls to fit the PS2 Controller's needs.

Here's a link to SAAC's official website: http://toca.game-editing.net/index.php

Fatz
  • Fatz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:03 AM

QUOTE (Wolfmight @ Jun 23 2005, 10:17)
Hmm, when I use the POV options with the corresponding keys for leading the gangs or social replies, CJ still moves around and they don't work when I try to use them. I've tried the four on POV1's.

Another note, I did some research and found another San Andreas advanced configuration software! It's called SAAC v1.1, but the only problem is the PSX Pad Profile has incorrect controls! I'm working on correcting them and saving it to a ".ini" file that you can overwrite within the program directory. I'll update you guys on my .ini file, because this program would save a hell of a lot more time! It automatically overwrites all the controls in San Andreas without any configuration within the game at all.

This is but a next step, hopefully someone will create a San Andreas mod, which automatically configures the game's controls to fit the PS2 Controller's needs.

Here's a link to SAAC's official website: http://toca.game-editing.net/index.php

I also saw the advanced controls program, great idea! I tried it out and I have replaced joytokey with this new tool, works great! love the POV options and the force feedback...I recommend you guys give it a try.

wormholefiend
  • wormholefiend

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:35 AM

bump user posted image

Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:15 PM

I made a guide update today and added the SAAC v1.2 software as another choice. I believe it will prove to be the best choice in the end. colgate.gif monocle.gif

Death-Speak
  • Death-Speak

Rat

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:46 PM

Sweet can someone do this for the XBox Controller to USB PC, or get me a copy of the controller config for the XBox and I can do it.

Awesome write up!

DS

cjpluss
  • cjpluss

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 07:55 PM

I'll just stick with my Logitec Gamepad. It is IDENTICAL to the PS2 controller, but the hand grips are longer (The PS2 ones are too small, the reason I never used the official controllers).

Officer_Dufus
  • Officer_Dufus

Repo Man

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 05:17 AM

Well since you obviously have PS2, why not just play the game there.

Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (Officer_Dufus @ Jun 28 2005, 05:17)
Well since you obviously have PS2, why not just play the game there.

The PS2 version lacks the pc's ability to customize the draw distance, apply modifications, and configure the game with a god like grip.

pixelrage
  • pixelrage

Snitch

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

user posted image

buy, plug in, you're done smile.gif

Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:19 PM Edited by Wolfmight, 28 June 2005 - 07:25 PM.

Does that controller automaticlly have all the correct settings when you use the Joypad option in San Andreas?
By the way, here's some more details for the logitech controller: http://www.logitech....,CONTENTID=6951

That controller also costs $29.95, while the PS2 controller adapter only costs a mere $10.99! Check it out here: http://www.radioshac.....uct_id=26-304

Warfire_
  • Warfire_

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:46 PM Edited by Warfire_, 28 June 2005 - 07:48 PM.

QUOTE (pixelrage @ Jun 28 2005, 16:41)
user posted image

buy, plug in, you're done smile.gif

hey sup all. long time lurker, first time poster. bbq.gif

i have the same controller. i Loaded up my ps2 beside my pc (because the Mrs. won't let me hook it up to the big TV confused.gif ) and set my controls to match the PS2 version. as far as i can tell, all the controls are 100% accurate. hover with jetpack, hydra thrusters and targeting, bunny hops, aiming, strafing, look behind, etc... when i get home, i'll try to take some screens of my contoller config. and post 'er up for you's.

[edit] oh yeah, the only thing i cant get is the reply to peds...[/edit]

Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:51 PM

Even the d-pad ones work? What about the game menu, y axis glitch, etc?

Man, why didn't rockstar just implement a "PS2 Classic Joypad" present!?!? mad.gif ..>..>..>. die.gif >*bang!*> rahkstar2.gif >..*splat.>..ahhhh.>..* dozingoff.gif

BruceDickinson
  • BruceDickinson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:06 PM

The SAAC Control IS very Good ... but did Already Try some for the Force Feedback Control ? what Effects stay near ps2's version ?

Thanks For the SAAC Control. i Loved It. GreaT Work. colgate.gif

Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (BruceDickinson @ Jun 28 2005, 21:06)
The SAAC Control IS very Good ... but did Already Try some for the Force Feedback Control ? what Effects stay near ps2's version ?

Thanks For the SAAC Control. i Loved It. GreaT Work.  colgate.gif

It's hard to really tell the difference in force feedback between the ps2 and pc version, since I didn't see much in the ps2 version. (maybe I always drove too fast).
Anyways, the Vibration is also missing and maybe require Rockstar's attention to add that in.

BruceDickinson
  • BruceDickinson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (Wolfmight @ Jun 29 2005, 00:02)
QUOTE (BruceDickinson @ Jun 28 2005, 21:06)

Thanks For the SAAC Control. i Loved It. GreaT Work.  colgate.gif

It's hard to really tell the difference in force feedback between the ps2 and pc version, since I didn't see much in the ps2 version. (maybe I always drove too fast).
Anyways, the Vibration is also missing and maybe require Rockstar's attention to add that in.

in fact I was talking about a config for this ...

user posted image

biggrin.gif

TheGuy20
  • TheGuy20

I...feel...goooooood....

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:34 AM

The problem with the PC version is the amount of controls they have. For instance, handbrake and secondary weapon(vehicle) share a slot on the Ps2. On the PC they are seperate. So if you're going from the Hydra to the Hunter, you have to change your controls.

Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:44 AM Edited by Wolfmight, 29 June 2005 - 04:51 AM.

We could always add a mod for that though. Rockstar is missing out sly.gif dozingoff.gif

to Bruce: the force feedback was already set and I would require the exact feedback settings from the PS2 version to play with them. I believe those force feedback settings are only there for added control. The software may also be used for tweaking towards your leisure. Does anyone notice any differences in force feedback between the ps2 and pc versions?

Officer_Dufus
  • Officer_Dufus

Repo Man

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:05 AM

What exactly is force feedback?

Maybe I know and I'm getting the words confused...... wow.gif

Dimwit
  • Dimwit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:32 AM

i installed saac and it works great. i had to change the alternate fire in the car to L1 instead of R1 and the skip track to left, but other than that the configuration is excellent, much better than joytokey. but i can't get the vibration to work. i turned on the steering vibration while playing the game and it just vibrates while the car was still, but if i leave it the way it was it won't vibrate at all. not when i drive into walls or fire a gun. can anyone help. plus, to fix the start button not exiting out, i thought maybe you could use both saac and joytokey. just set the start key (#10) to escape and it works just fine. other than that can anyone tell me how to enable the vibration b/c all of the settings are checked except for steering. thanks.

BruceDickinson
  • BruceDickinson

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:48 AM Edited by BruceDickinson, 29 June 2005 - 11:02 AM.

to Wolfmight.

I've used your Inis For SAAC but the effects for the Force Feedback Are missing ... was exactily as the picture i've posted. i'd like a config for this effects. if you have some ... biggrin.gif

and sorry for asking for more, i know it's boring when you do something and the people always ask for more.

to Officer_Dufus.

Force FeedBack is the reaction of the controler when you hit the car for example ... its the vibration of the control. Although i think that the real Force Feedback is that in Special Car Controls Where when you turn your car to left or Right for example it gives you a force in the opositive way of what you've done.

in this case i was talking about the ibration effect. biggrin.gif

Wolfmight
  • Wolfmight

Heli-blade Massacre

• Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:33 PM Edited by Wolfmight, 29 June 2005 - 01:37 PM.

Hmm, I'm still doing some research and testing to configure the force feedback. Good thing I discovered that "window" mode for San Andreas, that saves alot of Alt+Tab stress-n-lag on my system. I wonder if someone has any ideas what the force feedback settings are for the ps2 version? I suppose I'll boot up the ps2 and pc version side by side to get a good "feel" for similarity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users