Quantcast

» «
Photo

"25 to Life" under attack by politicians.

13 replies to this topic
dirtycopVCPD
  • dirtycopVCPD

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:14 PM Edited by dirtycopVCPD, 20 June 2005 - 02:16 PM.

25 to Life isn't even out yet and it's already earned the scorn of politicians and police groups.

"It's the worst in a series of violent and gruesome games that lower the common denominator of decency," said Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), who is trying to block the game from hitting stores in September.

And

"25 to Life" makes "other controversial games like 'Grand Theft Auto' look like 'Romper Room,'" Schumer said.

Wow, with the ever present threat of terrorism, a war raging, and the economy in the crapper it's nice to know that our politicians really have their priorities straight.

You can read the rest of the story here.

Ciabatta
  • Ciabatta

Rude Boy

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (dirtycopVCPD @ Jun 20 2005, 14:14)
Wow, with the ever present threat of terrorism, a war raging, and the economy in the crapper it's nice to know that our politicians really have their priorities straight.

Amen to that.

I'm so sick of these politicians and their war on the video game industry. They act like video games should be teaching moral issues instead of entertaining people. That's what video games are supposed to do, entertain. If they weren't entertaining no one would buy them.

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

I drink and I smash because i love

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

Patrick Lynch, president of the Patrolman's Benevolent Association, slammed "25 to Life" for its cavalier treatment of murder.

"It's outrageous that a company like this would try to desensitize our children," Lynch said.

The game, he said, is likely to "produce cowards that will hide behind a gun."

so what does he expect, people to fight with knives or just use their bare hands. thats the way he made it sound.

all i can say is: at least they are off GTA's back for a while.

EDIT: Article translation.

"gun control wont stop shootings, we need video game control"

D Jones
  • D Jones

smoked out

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:05 PM

Can't they leave the gaming world alone?

I mean, they can't blame how there childhood was hard on them or they can't blame that there head is messed up but they can blame a video game? I mean, I bet the can find a way to blame Pac-Man for something bad someone did now-a-days.

saintdave
  • saintdave

saintdave™

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:09 PM

No suprise that there are more objections to a computer game, but that last word there needs to be shouted at them, it's a GAME! I bet any money that R* new game Bully will get lots of complaints too

ferrarimanf355
  • ferrarimanf355

100% Narutard

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:01 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you can play as a cop in 25 to Life...

SIP YEK NOD
  • SIP YEK NOD

I drink and I smash because i love

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (ferrarimanf355 @ Jun 20 2005, 15:01)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you can play as a cop in 25 to Life...

yeah, i am sure you can, but that doesnt mean anything to them. they only want to state the facts that support their case

Bauer
  • Bauer

Pisskidney

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:00 PM Edited by Bauer, 20 June 2005 - 10:14 PM.

If they really want this country to be a better place they should've commited suicide, not whine about a videogame.

Edit: Notice how the report shows claims from MINORS. Also, look at this: "It's outrageous that a company like this would try to desensitize our children," Lynch said.

But, wait, the ESRB will have to see this game, and they will have to rate it. Chances are it will be rated M, right? So what's the problem, Senators?
Don't go blaming it on the game when the true issue is the retailers, and/or as SIP_YEK_NOD mentioned: gun control.

By the way, look at this poor child:
"It's like ghetto-ish, I like that," said Bronx seventh-grader Jesus Martinez, 13.

yawn.gif

Gamer2255668
  • Gamer2255668

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:07 AM

I reckon the developers are over the moon about this. Talk about free publicity!! I had never even heard of this game before it hit news.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:35 AM

Wasn't 25 To Life supposed to be a game where the player could choose Cop or "Robber"? I could've sworn that about a year ago when it was first announced it was supposed to be something like an MMOFPS.

When they finally ban videogames, I hope they ban movies with violent suggestions, ban GUNS perhaps (?), or maybe even work on trying to get our country out of the sh*tter before they decide to kill an industry that entertains children that otherwise would *shudder* be outside.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:40 AM

I've thought of this quite often, and my best response is, f*ck EM.

Nate Baker1
  • Nate Baker1

Back...for a little

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:46 AM

QUOTE (anuj @ Jun 21 2005, 06:35)
Wasn't 25 To Life supposed to be a game where the player could choose Cop or "Robber"? I could've sworn that about a year ago when it was first announced it was supposed to be something like an MMOFPS.

When they finally ban videogames, I hope they ban movies with violent suggestions, ban GUNS perhaps (?), or maybe even work on trying to get our country out of the sh*tter before they decide to kill an industry that entertains children that otherwise would *shudder* be outside.

Yeah you could either be the law or break the law in their trailer I saw earlier.

Even though its unlikely they ban the videogames with stuff like this, that would so f*ck sh*t up.

Nobuyoshi2
  • Nobuyoshi2

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:07 AM

haha this just makes me want the game even more.

leper73
  • leper73

Soldier

• Members

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:07 AM

Meh, nothing new here. Schumer's basically doing what Lieberman is doing, ranting about how the games are corrupting the morals of our children, but so far, he hasn't taken any action against it. I'll be watching him closely, but don't think he'll try anything too rash.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users