» «
Photo

[REL|ALPHA] GTASA-Ultimate Editor

136 replies to this topic
ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

I'm not wack, im all wacked-out!

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:02 PM Edited by ThaKilla, 22 August 2011 - 01:03 AM.

This is the Release of GTASA-Ultimate Editor
Current Version: 4.0.9
Now with TXD Editing.

Changes for 4.0.9
Removed Skins nad KwelButton.ocx (it reports as a virus)

Changes for 3.6.4
Fixed a problem reading GXT files.

Changes for 3.6.3
Fixed the carcol.dat editing in the "Vehicle Editor"
Add a "Compare to IMG file" option, so you can easily find missing files. (requested)
Cleaned up the "Code Editor", so i can now read from sub pointers. Also added the ablity to loop threw entire blocks. (i.e. You can now setup codes to go threw every 110 vehicle blocks, and set a value to them)
Also fixed some random things, I have found, and cleaned up a few sections, for speed.

Changes for 3.6.1
Fixed a problem saving Ped/Car Groups, that has been cleared out.

Changes for 3.6.0
Added Car Spawn, you can setup the key-combo you want in the "Vehicle Editor", but the Key-Combo will work in any section.
Added a simple skining, you can change the colors, and looks of the buttons used.

Changes/Fixes for 3.5.2
IMG Editor:
Added "Mass Replace..." allows you replace dff/txd/col/dat/ipl/ifp files from a directory into the IMG file you opened.
Added "Mass Export..." allows you to export the files in the Find box to a folder.
Added "Mass Export to Mod..." allows you to export the files in the Find box to a GSM/GSI file.
note: the find find box allows for multiple searches.
i.e. if you type "veg txd" then it will show you all the files with veg and txd in the name.

Changes/Fixes for 3.5.1
TXD Editor:
now supports export of TGA files
Fixed Alpha change bug
Fixed DDS Alpha import

Sections
Car Editor: Handling Editor, Model Colors/Mods
Store Editor: Add Items to Stores, and change Stats for each Item
Weapons Editor: Edit Weapon/Melee Stats
Pedestrian Editor: Ped Stats, Model Stats, Ped/Car Groups, Behavior/Locations
Weather Editor: Change Sky Colors and Data
IMG Editor: Export/Replace/Add the files stored in IMG files (also see the images
in side TXD files, when selected)
TXD Editor: Allows you to edit TXD Files, and also allows you to edit TXD files from any of GTASA-UE's TXD preview windows, and easily save them back to the IMG file in which they came from.
GXT Editor: Is a simple GXT Editor. (For more complicated editing see sagxtedit by Hammer83)
Code Editor: Allows you to easily create memory codes using VBScript and a simple ".net" interface to code structures that are pre-built (or you can ad more)
Notepad: Because I'm forgetfull

DATA file mod support
Each Save button now has a "Save As Mod" button below it to save in GSI (Installer File) formats.

If you use the GSI format than the model/texture is included in the GSI file. Note that you can not edit this file in notepad because it contains the binary information of the models/textures.

Also when you use the "Save as Mod" button, besure to put a check on all the files you want to save.

I have included a readme.doc that goes over most of the features of "GTASA-Ultimate Editor"

You can download it from here:
GTASA-Ultimate Editor

Also thanks for all the help gtaforum members have given me.

imheretostay
  • imheretostay

non-existant

• Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:39 PM Edited by ImHereToStay, 18 June 2005 - 11:42 PM.

This is awesome. This will be used by alot of people! How long did this take? Im dling now.

Edit: I cant install:
user posted image

GTA3Freak-2001
  • GTA3Freak-2001

Run out of Cake.

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:22 AM

Its a great tool, the only problem I've had is the Weather editor which I assume isn't complete or something?

ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

• Members

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:39 PM

This is awesome. This will be used by alot of people! How long did this take? Im dling now.

Edit: I cant install:

Sorry.. I have had few people say the setup is not working, the propblem is that its a different error each time, usally complaning about Windows Installer. The only thing I can suggest is make windows installer is updated. (But it shouldn't even be using it confused.gif )

Its a great tool, the only problem I've had is the Weather editor which I assume isn't complete or something?

Well, the Weather Editor should be working.. what is the problem you have with it?

Rat

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:45 AM

Only extrasunny is moddable

the others dont appear

Jackie Flannery
  • Jackie Flannery

Westies forever

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:42 AM

Great work on the editor.

I have had some sucess with it...

Double Silencers, double eagles etc.

One thing that does not seem to work is editing the melee weapons.

For example - i tried to make some damage point changes to the baseball bat - just for fun - but as soon as i make a numeric change i cannot move to the next column. I have tried saving - but this does not seem to make a difference. I have also tried switching to other weapons in the hope that this would refresh the data - but again no joy.

Any ideas ?

ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:42 PM

Jackie Flannery: You have to hit the "ENTER" key, I just changed it so you can just click somewhere else and it will save. So it will probly be in the next update.

aad
  • aad

3d artist

• Members

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

Dont complain about all those bugs its a Alpha version and it worked great for me and for all the people just download the MSI updated package and then it works its only 1 dll thats changed and causing some people to get errors while installing. cry.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:02 PM

The program seems to use the Visual Basic Package and Deployment Wizard which is just a shell for the standard Windows Installer. A lot of the files it tries to install were older than the ones on my machine (I have VB6) so that was a bit inconvieniant. Also, it doesn't let the user install the program to the same location as they downloaded the file, which means people who download editors to the folder they want the editor to be then have to mess around making a new folder that they didn't want to use so they can install the program. That's a bit fiddly for newcomers, imho.

The setup screen lots very strange on Windows XP, there is big bold text in a font which can't be smoothed and the folder icons for the directory setup are extremely pixelated. There is very little description about what the options on this page do. I've never even heard of a ".GSM" file before, so using part of the big blank area to the right of the form to explain what the things do would be very useful to other people who havn't heard of these things. You could explain exactly how the program backs up the files too, since the readme is rather out of data and not much help for PC users.

When the program loads, the controls again look very strange. Judging by the names of the runtime libraries the setup tried to install, it seems you are using VB5? Upgrading is a very good idea, since old interfaces will be confusing to the young audience who will tend to want to modify the GTA series. They styling looks even older than Win95 on some controls such as the tabs and the old style of 3D effects are hard to see on large, modern screens.

When the program is resized, the data viewers do not resize? Resizability is very important for modern programs because there is such a wide range of desktop sizes and users are growing to have increasingly diverse habits for using programs. Also, as more users become more techno-savvy, they demand applications which are more flexible.

The layout of the menu items is disorganised and unconventional. "Settings" should be under the "tools" menu. Arguably "Options" is a better name since it is more common but the two are fairly interchangable. Menu titles should not perform actions; actions should only be performed by items which appear inside a menu (or submenu) otherwise simply navigating around the menu system launches functions. Another point is that items which display dialogue windows or which require extra information from the user before they complete their task should have "..." after their caption. This is a convention recognised by users from "Save As..." type items.

The buttons for swapping data from list to list are very wide, which means that the lists are often too narrow to easily contain the data. The "Set to Bottom Box To Item" button doesn't make any sense (is English your first language?) and there are many typing errors throughout the program in English mode. That button often does not work for reasons I can't quite figure out...doesn't seem be any pattern to when it fails and when it works. The highted item of the list boxes does not stay highlighted when the control does not have the focus, which makes it hard to see how the related sections of the interface are actually related to each other.

I know this is an alpha but the weird font used on many controls is something which should never have appeared. Use the standard system font settings and then it will inherit from the Windows theme the user has chosen (in VB6, at least). There are also some rendering bugs in some of the frame controls and they are using very unconventional formatting. Program interfaces should be as conventional as possible so that people can use them easily. Sometimes there is no precent for displaying certainly relational data, so one has to devise a new type of display method. However, when designing data interfaces, the simpler the display the easier it will be for the user. Some of the parts of Ultimate Editor seem a lot more complicated than they need to be.

The code behind this is obviously an impressive accomplishment because so many complex file formats are supported. The interface is the part which the user is going to be aware of for the whole time, so it has to be first rate or the sophisticated backend cannot be appreciated. smile.gif

ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:00 PM

The program seems to use the Visual Basic Package and Deployment Wizard which is just a shell for the standard Windows Installer. A lot of the files it tries to install were older than the ones on my machine (I have VB6) so that was a bit inconvieniant. Also, it doesn't let the user install the program to the same location as they downloaded the file, which means people who download editors to the folder they want the editor to be then have to mess around making a new folder that they didn't want to use so they can install the program. That's a bit fiddly for newcomers, imho.

The setup screen lots very strange on Windows XP, there is big bold text in a font which can't be smoothed and the folder icons for the directory setup are extremely pixelated. There is very little description about what the options on this page do. I've never even heard of a ".GSM" file before, so using part of the big blank area to the right of the form to explain what the things do would be very useful to other people who havn't heard of these things. You could explain exactly how the program backs up the files too, since the readme is rather out of data and not much help for PC users.

When the program loads, the controls again look very strange. Judging by the names of the runtime libraries the setup tried to install, it seems you are using VB5? Upgrading is a very good idea, since old interfaces will be confusing to the young audience who will tend to want to modify the GTA series. They styling looks even older than Win95 on some controls such as the tabs and the old style of 3D effects are hard to see on large, modern screens.

I use VB6... the setup is just the standard "Visual Basic Package and Deployment Wizard", i would make my own, but i have been working hard on the actual program. As far as the GSM files go.. they are nothing more than text files parsed out like a .ini file.

CODE
[handling.cfg]
AMBULAN       3600.0  10202.8  2.5  0.0  0.0  -0.1  90  0.75  0.80  0.47  5  155.0  24.0  10.0  4  D  7.0  0.55  0  35.0  1.0  0.07  0.0  0.40  -0.20  0.5  0.0  0.58  0.33  10000  4001  4  0  1  13  
[vehicles.ide]
416,  ambulan,  ambulan,  car,   AMBULAN,  AMBULAN,  van, ignore, 10, 0, 0,  -1, 0.864, 0.864, -1

And as far as the controls go... I am broke and can not afford new controls, so i just use the controls that come with windows and VB. The backup/restore of files is easy, it simply copys the file over and adds "06202005_020130_" ("Date_Time_") to the filename.

When the program is resized, the data viewers do not resize? Resizability is very important for modern programs because there is such a wide range of desktop sizes and users are growing to have increasingly diverse habits for using programs. Also, as more users become more techno-savvy, they demand applications which are more flexible.

Resizing and shrinking widths of the buttons is not really an option because the sizes of the controls is based on the translated text of French/Spanish, which are longer than there English counterparts, so for simplicity I just hard code the sizes.

The layout of the menu items is disorganised and unconventional. "Settings" should be under the "tools" menu. Arguably "Options" is a better name since it is more common but the two are fairly interchangable. Menu titles should not perform actions; actions should only be performed by items which appear inside a menu (or submenu) otherwise simply navigating around the menu system launches functions. Another point is that items which display dialogue windows or which require extra information from the user before they complete their task should have "..." after their caption. This is a convention recognised by users from "Save As..." type items.

The buttons for swapping data from list to list are very wide, which means that the lists are often too narrow to easily contain the data. The "Set to Bottom Box To Item" button doesn't make any sense (is English your first language?) and there are many typing errors throughout the program in English mode. That button often does not work for reasons I can't quite figure out...doesn't seem be any pattern to when it fails and when it works. The highted item of the list boxes does not stay highlighted when the control does not have the focus, which makes it hard to see how the related sections of the interface are actually related to each other.

Sorry the "Set to Bottom Box To Item" should be "Set Item to Bottom Box" (Fixed) and as far as the funtion of it, it links the store stats with the item in the "All Inventory" list. As far as the highlights go, i can't do nothing about it, thats just how the tree control works.
Actually English is my 2nd language, VB is the first.

I know this is an alpha but the weird font used on many controls is something which should never have appeared. Use the standard system font settings and then it will inherit from the Windows theme the user has chosen (in VB6, at least). There are also some rendering bugs in some of the frame controls and they are using very unconventional formatting. Program interfaces should be as conventional as possible so that people can use them easily. Sometimes there is no precent for displaying certainly relational data, so one has to devise a new type of display method. However, when designing data interfaces, the simpler the display the easier it will be for the user. Some of the parts of Ultimate Editor seem a lot more complicated than they need to be.

The font I use is Arial, and is very easy to read, also because of the translations I ensure that it uses that font and not windows, so i know my spacing is right. And with some areas being to complicated, well have you seen the files, I tried to make it as pleasing to look at as posible.

The code behind this is obviously an impressive accomplishment because so many complex file formats are supported. The interface is the part which the user is going to be aware of for the whole time, so it has to be first rate or the sophisticated backend cannot be appreciated.

The last note, I made this program in my spare time, for people to easily mod and enjoy GTASA.
So please, your comments are welcome, but I have notice that you have also done this to !cMc! Jacob handling.cfg threed, so im just thinking your trying to hype up your program, by trashing the other ones.

Pagnell
  • Pagnell

a.k.a. petebog

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:20 PM

Don't mind Cerbera, it's just the way he is... smile.gif

BenMillard
  • BenMillard

aka Cerbera

• Members

Posted 21 June 2005 - 09:23 PM

Feel free to "trash" my program if you think that's what I am doing. I am offering genuine compliants and bug reports. I'd be overjoyed if someone did that for me. smile.gif

Resizing the controls is definitely an option. If the controls get too small, the user will make the window wider again so they can read everything. Currently, to make the tabs fit in the window has to be so wide that there is a big empty space to the right of the controls and if the window is sized to match the controls then the tabs have to be scrolled. A flexible, resizable interface is essential because there are so many different types of data being presented which people will want to view in different ways.

The font you have chosen is not more readable because it does not allow font smoothing. All good programs use size 8 MS Sans Serif for normal captions because it is readable and it is what the user expects. It also smooths correctly and makes much better use of space. I used to use non-standard font styles in my programs but later realised that it was actually making the programs harder to use, not easier. Ultimately the purpose of a program is to make the user's life easier. One achieves this by making programs which operate in the way the user expects. Using unconventional text and over-complicating forms with exotic layouts isn't what the user expects and so it doesn't make their life easier.

If you have VB6 then you can just use the standard frame container instead of that weird thing which uses the text highlight colour for borders and has a thick central header.

I can appreciate that you are making this in your free time but you don't have to spend every waking hour getting everything pixel-perfect. These are just some basic suggestions which are fundamental to good coding practises. If you implement them as and when you get spare time, the quality of the program will be greatly improved.

Jackington
  • Jackington

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:38 PM

This Sucks!!!!! devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif

The mod has to be the coolest thing for SA yet, and IT WON'T ****ING INSTALL!!!!!!!

When I click on setup.exe, it says system files are out of date, then when I click on OK, it says I have to restart ny system. I did that, tried installing it again, and it SAID THE SAME THING!!!!! devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif

Theere is no way on the internet that allows me to express my true anger, so can someone please give a step-by-step guide of how to do everything, from downloading it.

Step 1: Download it...

What now?????

Please, what is wrong with my friggin' download/setup procedure?

ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

• Members

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:10 PM Edited by ThaKilla, 23 June 2005 - 08:13 PM.

OK... after a bunch of complants about the setup.

I decided to add a zip file with just the program, and language file.

GTASA-Ultimate Editor (Files)

Hope that helps.

Also if its cpmplains about missing dlls or what not, than you should be able to type them in google and find the right ones.

Hope It works

Jackington
  • Jackington

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:38 PM Edited by Jackington, 24 June 2005 - 05:25 PM.

No, it still dosn't work angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif . Not even with that new copy you put on here. It says:

Error #429
Active X component cant create object
Sub Main
Do you want to continue

Then, after pressing "yes" 20 times, it says:

Error #91
Object variable or with block variable not set
Sub Main
Continue?

Then, after pressing "yes" 50 times, it says

Index Out Of Bounds

Could you please give ANY suggestions about this? Anything atall?

Also, that is the same thing it said last night! Should the files be in a certain folder?

ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

• Members

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:47 PM

well that would be DAO3.51 control...
"DAO350.DLL"

You can try using the setup or you can download it from here.

http://www.dll-files...es.shtml?dao350

Jackington
  • Jackington

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:34 PM Edited by Jackington, 24 June 2005 - 06:57 PM.

I am really, truly sorry for how un-beliveably stupid I may seem to you, but its still not working and doing exactly the same thing.

Also, if you read my first reply, setup dosen't work either. I don't know what I'm dping wrong, but I put that last Dao.dll thing in the windows/systems directory, and the same error messages come up when I use the GTASA-RAW.zip. Is thre something I'm doing wrong or what?

I am very sorry for the complete idiot I appear as to you, but I still cant do it... it just wont work on my freaking computer! suicidal.gif

Soulman1990
  • Soulman1990

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:05 PM

Man that stuff is complex great editor though. Looks sweet. I like to see some tutorials come out though lol. wink.gif

ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

• Members

Posted 24 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

OK.. i just rebuilt the setup using Inno.

Hopefully that will fix the Installer problems.

Also I'm currently working on the Readme for my program that should help explain what all the sections do.

godog
  • godog

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:52 AM

Error #3633
Can't load dll : MSJET35.dll
Sub Main

I can't use?????

Soulman1990
  • Soulman1990

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (ThaKilla @ Jun 24 2005, 19:43)
OK.. i just rebuilt the setup using Inno.

Hopefully that will fix the Installer problems.

Also I'm currently working on the Readme for my program that should help explain what all the sections do.

Thnaks bro it seems like its really coming along. Great work. biggrin.gif

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 25 June 2005 - 10:24 PM

I tried putting a mini gun in all ammunation stores but it didnt work. can you sort this please because searching for the mini gun everytime sucks sad.gif

Buzzsaw
  • Buzzsaw

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:37 AM

i'm having a problem. i extracted a TXD, edited it, and then went to replace the original and i get the following error:

Error #75
Path/File access error
Sub ReplaceFileInIMG

i did not change the name of the TXD. after i extracted it i used TXD Workshop to extract one of the bmp pics from the TXD and replaced it with a different image of the same size. i did this earlier with a different TXD and didn't have any problems.

rats
  • rats

Art Vandelay

• Members

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:13 PM

A savegame editor could be included in... let's say.. v2? blush.gif

ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

• Members

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:34 PM

Ok i have just finished my latest update for GTASA Ultimate Editor, it has alot of bug fixes, and some nice features added.

Download it (see first post) and let me know what you think.

And Thanks Hammer83, and ashdexx for pointing out what was in front of my face, it helped out alot.

Buzzsaw: It sounds like you have read-only cut on. (use Explorer goto the IMG file you want to change and make sure "Read-Only" is unchecked)

flitcroft101: actually, all the store items are handled by the script, so unless someone can re-write the store to use shopping.dat than that section is usless.

rats: maybe not a savegame editor, but in the next version, there will be a trainer and some wizards to help add stuff to stores and what not.

rats
  • rats

Art Vandelay

• Members

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (ThaKilla @ Jul 18 2005, 19:34)
Ok i have just finished my latest update for GTASA Ultimate Editor, it has alot of bug fixes, and some nice features added.

Download it (see first post) and let me know what you think.

And Thanks Hammer83, and ashdexx for pointing out what was in front of my face, it helped out alot.

Buzzsaw: It sounds like you have read-only cut on. (use Explorer goto the IMG file you want to change and make sure "Read-Only" is unchecked)

flitcroft101: actually, all the store items are handled by the script, so unless someone can re-write the store to use shopping.dat than that section is usless.

rats: maybe not a savegame editor, but in the next version, there will be a trainer and some wizards to help add stuff to stores and what not.

great job man cookie.gif cookie.gif cookie.gif

Buzzsaw
  • Buzzsaw

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (ThaKilla @ Jul 18 2005, 13:34)

after i restarted windows the problem was gone. thanks though.

NickPalingCool
  • NickPalingCool

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 July 2005 - 08:34 AM

Can i get the source code please smile.gif
send to my email :
[email protected]

ThaKilla
  • ThaKilla

• Members

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

NickPalingCool: No sorry you can't get the source, I have been working on it for atleast 6 months now. But if you need some pointers on how to cretian files are setup and what not PM, and I will be glad to help.

For the rest of you:
I have a new version out, and the "Replace Wizard" should make adding downloaded cars a breeze.

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:54 PM

thankyou for the answer LOL i forgot about my q biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users