» «
Photo

Wanted: Speech On Euthanasia

6 replies to this topic
parry
  • parry

• Members

Posted 16 June 2005 - 03:46 PM

I know i should have asked earlier than this its due tomorrow, but i thoguht i could do it but im no good at writing speeches, could someone please spare the time to write me a short speech (1-2 minutes) that is FOR euthanasia.

I'l really appreciate if someone could.

parry
  • parry

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:33 AM

I guess no-one could do it ill have to use what i have, ill post myu result when i get it.

anuj
  • anuj

iconic

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (parry @ Jun 16 2005, 09:46)
I know i should have asked earlier than this its due tomorrow, but i thoguht i could do it but im no good at writing speeches, could someone please spare the time to write me a short speech (1-2 minutes) that is FOR euthanasia.

Euthanasia?

Kids will be kids.

Get it?

Big Slow
  • Big Slow

<3 629

• The Connection

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:04 AM

I hate doing this but here. I wrote this awhile ago. It's longer than 2 minutes I guess, so take what you need:

The moral issues that this site displays, is the issue of Euthanasia: right to die. It gives you a view form both sides of the story, rather than a biased opinion from the author. It tells us of the dilemma curently in Canada on the issue of whether it is legal to exercise euthanasia, as well as whether or not it is morally right or wrong. The country is divided on the issue understandably so. It tells us there has been at least one case where a person was exempt from a murder charge, because he put his ill daughter to rest. It brings up the issue of the Hippocratic oath, "I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody if asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect....into whatever houses I enter, I will go into them for the benefit of the sick, and will abstain from every voluntary act of mischief and corruption." That statement clearly implies that you shall not kill or let a patient die for any reason, but argues maybe it needs to be changed.
I want to start off by saying that I whole-heartedly support euthanasia, but I have my reserves about some of the issues. I believe euthanasia is ethical in the fact that a person should have the right to decide when to take their lives when terminally ill. If a horse broke a leg, it is acceptable to shoot it to put it out of it's misery. However, if a human is terminally ill, he does not have the right to say he no longer wants to live? If a person is suffering and has no hope to recover, no hope to have the quality of life anymore, no hope to ever function or have hope for the future, should he not have the right to say no more? Why is it unethical? Why is it illegal? Well, these are some reasons as to why I think it's illegal, some of them I actually agree with. One issue is religion. Most religions prohibit the killing of others, or the killing of oneself with the penalty of eternal damnation. Most people have a general religion they abide by, and the promise of eternal damnation is not promising. Therefore, it is morally wrong to take or give up a life. Another issue is fraud. There is too much of a chance of euthanasia being used for the wrong purpose and being manipulated to suit one's desires. Say a daughter who has a large cash settlement when her father dies, she could find a way to say her father wanted to die, therefore getting her money quicker. Most people are clever enough to find a way to manipulate the system to get what they want. Yet another issue would be mental retardation. In the case of Terry Schiavo, her husband says she wanted to have no life support, should she die? Terry isn't a case of euthanasia, but rather an example of this issue. If someone is a vegetable or mentally retarded, do they have the conscious mind to make that kind of decision? With all these pro's and con's, I still support euthanasia, to an extent. I don't believe someone should be running a clinic to kill the poor out of there garage, but I do believe in a form of help centers. A center where someone can go with their family and determine whether or not to take that final step. A place where someone can go to have their life ended in a peaceful way with their family and friends, like it should be. I believe that a law should be passed allowing help centers to be develloped and operate under gov't watch. I believe a person has the right to say when they should die, who are others to make that decision? Euthanasia is and will continue to be a very opinionated and heated topic, but the fact of it's moral standing is a set answer in my mind.

Magephil
  • Magephil

Jew

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE (anuj @ Jun 16 2005, 22:49)
QUOTE (parry @ Jun 16 2005, 09:46)

Euthanasia?

Kids will be kids.

Get it?

Very punny, indeed.*

*blatantly stolen from...someone in the frat

parry
  • parry

• Members

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:02 PM

Thanks so much Big Slow! I combined parts of my speech with yours and i got a B+ out of it biggrin.gif

Me = turn.gif

Big Slow
  • Big Slow

<3 629

• The Connection

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:58 AM

No problem.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users